The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 March 2011, 01:25 AM   #1
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Submariner 16610 A series SWISS dial

I found this 16610 at a local jeweler last week and bought it up because of the overall condition and the SWISS (not SWISS MADE) dial.
It is an A series that was sold new by a local Rolex AD in November, 1999.
This Submariner was completely serviced about a year ago and it appears very close to new.
Can someone tell me how many years and series the SWISS dial was used prior to the change over to the SWISS MADE dial?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Sub Date A series 010.jpg (93.0 KB, 1242 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex Sub Date A series 011.jpg (106.5 KB, 1225 views)
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 01:35 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
On modern day Rolex it was the change from Tritium dials to Luminover roughly from 1998 till 2000, A and P series possible late U series, then sometime in 2000 they switched to Swiss Made.But Swiss was used on all Rolex watches till around 1960 but then the lume was radio active radium.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 02:04 AM   #3
crman

my explorer II "U" is just SWISS, just had it serviced, one of my best!
crman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 02:06 AM   #4
egzbuen
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the 16610.

My A-Serial says hi

3717-01 & 104 & 312
Nav B-Uhr
egzbuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 02:25 AM   #5
HKtoter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
From your pics I can't tell if you have solid or hollow end links. I do love them LUG HOLES!
I have an "A89****" serial 16710 with a Swiss Made dial, SEL's and Lug Holes too.

I'm trying to get to an approximated range of serial numbers when Rolex transitioned to SEL's and and to the Swiss Made dials.

LUG HOLE LOYALIST
HKtoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 02:51 AM   #6
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKtoter View Post
From your pics I can't tell if you have solid or hollow end links. I do love them LUG HOLES!
I have an "A89****" serial 16710 with a Swiss Made dial, SEL's and Lug Holes too.

I'm trying to get to an approximated range of serial numbers when Rolex transitioned to SEL's and and to the Swiss Made dials.
The serial number of my 16610 is A163XXX.
The bracelet does not have solid end links.
From your post, it seems that the transition to a SWISS MADE dial and SELs was during the A series production.
As I mentioned above, my 16610 was sold new by the Rolex AD in November, 1999, as indicated on the warranty/cosc certificate.
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 03:43 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by theken View Post
From your post, it seems that the transition to a SWISS MADE dial and SELs was during the A series production.
As I mentioned above, my 16610 was sold new by the Rolex AD in November, 1999, as indicated on the warranty/cosc certificate.
Well, yes and no.. The transition to Luminova was during the 98/99 time frame.. During that time Rolex was producing U, A, and P serials, and so any of those models may have "Swiss" only, with U and A getting some Tritium, and A and P getting some "Swiss Made". But it isn't cast in stone as Rolex tended to use left over parts until depleted and nobody has ever seen everything they have produced..

SEL's came much later... probably with the P serials for most Stainless Steel models, although cases back to W/T have the machined lip to accept an SEL bracelet; then the lug holes disappeared during the Y serials..

Gold and Two Tone got such changes a year or two earlier than SS models..
Old 7 March 2011, 08:54 AM   #8
AWS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I found this 16610 at a local jeweler last week and bought it up because of the overall condition and the SWISS (not SWISS MADE) dial.
It is an A series that was sold new by a local Rolex AD in November, 1999.
This Submariner was completely serviced about a year ago and it appears very close to new.
Can someone tell me how many years and series the SWISS dial was used prior to the change over to the SWISS MADE dial?
How is the lume on the watch? Just curious as I have a 14060 U series with SWISS dial and I'm amazed how well it still glows.

Nice watch.
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 09:05 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I have a late A series 16610 A943XXX with an AB2 clasp code. It has a SWISS MADE dial and SEL's. From the info stated, it seems like you're right I think I recall reading this somewhere before also.

I don't know if I've ever seen a SIWSS dial with SEL's either

Nice pick up
Old 7 March 2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Taxi!

Nice catch
Taxi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Michael M.
Banned

Awesome find!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2011, 01:06 PM   #12
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Nice piece and good pickup. Your watch was made right in the same time frame as mine. Non-SEL, "Swiss" (versus "Swiss Made"), lug holes, and Luminova. Very desirable. See "Rolex transitions are never clear cut." Well done and enjoy that beautiful Sub.

Cheers,

Dave
avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 01:58 AM   #13
nkalra
"TRF" Member

I have a 1998 U series Rolex Submariner with the "SWISS" dial. I was thinking of trading it and getting the new Submariner with the Ceramic bezel, but after reading this post, it seems that the watch I have is rather rare, so now will likley keep it..
nkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 02:55 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalra View Post
I have a 1998 U series Rolex Submariner with the "SWISS" dial. I was thinking of trading it and getting the new Submariner with the Ceramic bezel, but after reading this post, it seems that the watch I have is rather rare, so now will likley keep it..
Nothing is rare with Rolex watches just some made in smaller numbers than others. And seeing the Sub is Rolex biggest seller in the sports line there will be many high hundreds even thousands with Swiss on the dial its not considered as collectible.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 06:43 AM   #15
nkalra
"TRF" Member

Granted these watches are mass produced, it's all relative. The fact that "SWISS" was only on the dial during 1-2 year time frame (and not on all models during that time), must make these watches harder to find.
nkalra is offline   Reply With Quote