The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Bracelet sizing

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I did a couple of forum searches and found nothing, so here goes.

My brand new GMT2c (hurray!) is a day old and I am debating whether it is sized well enough on my wrist. The AD took out 2 links when he fitted it but it feels a little too tight to me without the easy link deployed. When the easy link is deployed it has, perhaps, just a little too much play in it. Also, I planned to only deploy the easy link when my wrist swells (eg at the end of a flight, or if I am hot etc) so I'd like the fit to be right without using the easy link.

I also think I am carrying a few extra pounds at the moment following a few weeks vacation (pigging out, no exercise) as well as lots of birthday cake. I average about 5lbs less than my current weight!

Is there any advice on how loose/ tight a bracelet should be? I know it is partly down to what is comfortable for me, but I just wonder what the general consensus is.

Also, finally, it looks like there are some small holes inside the bracelet which would allow some micro adjustment (ie less than a full link). Does anyone know if this would increase the bracelet by more/less/the same as the easy link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Dittox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
The tightness/looseness of the bracelet depends on your personal preference, some people like a tight fit, while others opt for a loose fit that almost lets the watch rotate on their wrist.

That being said, I like a firm fit. A good rule of thumb I use to size my bracelets is to adjust it so that the end of my pinky can fit underneath the clasp.

By the way, congratulations on your new watch!!!
Dittox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Rickn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Sub
The small holes you noticed do allow you to adjust the size. That coupled with the easy link should get you what you need. That said I really wish that Rolex had not decided that the glide lock bracelet was for sub references only. Glidelock is so nice, except for when my wife uses it to wear my hulk
Rickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo74 View Post
Also, finally, it looks like there are some small holes inside the bracelet which would allow some micro adjustment (ie less than a full link). Does anyone know if this would increase the bracelet by more/less/the same as the easy link?

Yes. If you're not currently in the outermost hole you can try moving it back one hole and push the easy link tight /shut.
It's a simple spring bar, so you can push one shoulder in with a fine screwdriver tip while pulling the band to get it out of the hole, and do the same to the other end of the spring bar. Then you can move the bracelet back one hole (you'll feel and hear a snap).
I find it easier to operate when the band is separated-I actually unscrew a link so it separates, giving me unobstructed access to the clasp.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 09:12 AM   #5
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
If it's too tight undeployed and too loose deployed, you are in the middle and microadjustments aren't going to help. If you use the watch most of the time undeployed, you can use the micro adjustment to set it comfortable and just live with it. If you use the easy link now it will be too baggy. I'd just leave it.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 10:18 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think the micro adjustment holes in the clasp give you 3 mm and the easy link is 5 mm. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you have a hole left in the clasp, give it a go as Bryan mentioned above. If not, you're going to have to put a link back in and move it to the inner most hole in the clasp.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I think the micro adjustment holes in the clasp give you 3 mm and the easy link is 5 mm. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you have a hole left in the clasp, give it a go as Bryan mentioned above. If not, you're going to have to put a link back in and move it to the inner most hole in the clasp.

This is what I suspected but wanted to check before going back to the AD (I'm not gonna risk it myself!). If the difference is 3mm then that could do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 03:19 PM   #8
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo74 View Post
This is what I suspected but wanted to check before going back to the AD (I'm not gonna risk it myself!). If the difference is 3mm then that could do it.
Do it yourself, it takes 10 seconds, very easy.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote