The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2014, 02:10 PM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
i like ike.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 07:55 PM   #32
x zombie
"TRF" Member

Watch: your six!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Yep, just not 'cool' ! If it was a dead film-star's then...
Steve McQueen's Heuer Monaco sold for around $800,000
x zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 08:34 PM   #33
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Another site had a comprehensive review of the auction and why this watch didn't sell at the reserve price. It appears there were a number of issues relating to its condition including the dial which diminished its value. Pure and simple!
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 09:26 PM   #34
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
This was my immediate thought when I first saw the thread title. Over half the country can't place WW II or the Civil War in the correct century. It is bizarre. In the UK, anniversary dates such as D-Day and VE Day are widely commemorated by all generations. Look at the recent "lights out" to observe the beginning of WW I.

That being said, someone observed this phenomena and opined that the US is a forward looking nation, with it's eyes always on the horizon. True, perhaps, but still sad.
I think it is less about being forward thinking and more about the US being such a crock pot of people of all ages from every corner of the planet making it difficult for even the most prominent events in our countries history to be remembered accurately. That and our horrid education system, but that is a different topic entirely. I doubt many people these days even have a clue who Eisenhower was much less his significance to the United States.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2014, 12:18 AM   #35
EEParker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
Another site had a comprehensive review of the auction and why this watch didn't sell at the reserve price. It appears there were a number of issues relating to its condition including the dial which diminished its value. Pure and simple!

I'm sure the quality of the piece had a lot to do with it but the premium exists because Ike wore it, not because of the rarity of the dial/condition of the bracelet, etc. I think if you are the type of person who wants to buy a watch worn by a president, you care much more about who wore it than the quality.

So I'm surprised it didn't meet its price.
EEParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2014, 01:19 AM   #36
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

All true, but the dial seems to have been replaced, possibly after worn by the President! That would matter to a collector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEParker View Post
I'm sure the quality of the piece had a lot to do with it but the premium exists because Ike wore it, not because of the rarity of the dial/condition of the bracelet, etc. I think if you are the type of person who wants to buy a watch worn by a president, you care much more about who wore it than the quality.

mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2014, 01:40 AM   #37
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEParker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
All true, but the dial seems to have been replaced, possibly after worn by the President! That would matter to a collector.
Provenance usually trumps condition in a collectible; there are lots of YG DJs out there but only one was worn by Eisenhower.

I, too, am surprised it didn't sell but apparently the free market has spoken.

One thing I didn't like was the snarky tone of the article. Rolex engraved the back and the clasp to personalize their gift; is the author so stupid he really thinks Ike was afraid of losing the watch..?