The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2014, 05:29 AM   #1
dph473
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Rolex durability and need for warranty?

After enjoying TRF for a few weeks now and reading various opinions it seems there are some that are quite concerned regarding purchasing a watch without a warranty. Why is this?

I purchased my first two Rolex via AD and have never had to utilize the warranty. My latest acquisition of a BLNR was from a trusted seller here and without a warranty.

Now I realize with a large investment, it's good for peace of mind to have a warranty but my question is, How often do these watches ever get returned for warranty service?
dph473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 05:40 AM   #2
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Bounce around here and you will see it does happen. I have been fortunate and only once needed the warranty - not the original but after a service - because the watch was running fast.

Its a gamble overall. Save a few bucks, take on the risk of paying out pocket for an otherwise covered repair. May cost in the future if you decide to sell and don't have original warranty card.

Whether it matters to have the warranty and documentation that goes with it depends on what matters to you and what you want to get out of it.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 05:53 AM   #3
rle737ng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I've bought mine through either trusted sellers with warranty card or from reputable local jeweler who provided own warranty.
rle737ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 06:00 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Instances seem pretty low, esp compared to other brands. If buying preowned I would get one only within warranty as one of the reasons the seller may be doing so is because it has issues.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 06:30 AM   #5
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I have and had many for many years, never once had anything go wrong with any of them
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 06:39 AM   #6
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I have and had many for many years, never once had anything go wrong with any of them

I'll have to say that my one and only, which happens to be a P serial 16610, which makes it almost 15 yrs old and I think it's running better every year. I often will give it a good 40 turn wind and set it via atomic time and I did this last time several months ago and I thought to check it the other day and it was within 5 seconds of atomic time. Now I'd say that's running pretty darn good. I love love my watch. One day after the new baby and its expenses are over I'm going to buy myself the Tudor Black Bay or maybe the Pelagos and that for me along with my trusty Seiko 7002-7039 diver would be a nice stable for a modest means guy like myself. And I'm leaning to the no date black bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 06:41 AM   #7
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
I've had a warranty issue with my Sub, but it was remedied by a simple oiling and the implied gasket change + pressure test. 20 minutes, quick & delightful service. If it wasn't under warranty, it would have cost no more than $50 I think, so it wasn't a critical issue fortunately. The Sub still ticks away since then, getting closer and closer to its first regular service. I wouldn't mind buying the watch again, even without warranty. As long as no warranty also means a great discount
Old 23 September 2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am not a Rolex Warranty necessity fan out of ideology. I try to avoid anything that has a unreliable reputation or unreasonable risk attached. If I felt it "needed" a warranty for me to sleep at night, then I avoid buying it in the first place.. Rolex is a sound, reliable watch and not that expensive to repair in the grand scheme of ownership. Buy from a reputable owner or shop and you will be fine.
Old 23 September 2014, 07:14 AM   #9
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I use a risk-adjusted price for used acquisitions. How likely/soon will it need service... approximate cost. Most of the really expensive things that can happen are external and easily seen - damaged case/caseback, damaged bezel, damaged/worn bracelet. Unless someone has tampered with a movement or it's been waterlogged, the internals are almost always like new after a standard $700+/- service.

Warranty is mostly irrelevant to me.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 07:24 AM   #10
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
My Sub C went back to RSC Dallas 3 times under warranty. Once for a movement issue, once for a bracelet issue and the third time because they screwed up the bracelet while it was there the second time. It's been perfect since. I guess if you're saving more than the cost of a full service, it might be worth it. If not, I would buy from an AD. It's really a 50/50 gamble either way.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 09:25 AM   #11
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have never needed the warranty on a Rolex (10 and counting)
Omega a different story, two sent back within the first six months.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 09:29 AM   #12
dph473
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Thanks for the responses! So it seems that there occasionally is a need for a warranty service however rare. I guess I've been very fortunate since my first was a Sub I purchased in 1998 which has never been serviced and is running incredibly. It runs about 3 minutes fast each month.

Definitely a roll of the dice. I think personally getting a huge discount in my pocket is worth it.
dph473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 09:51 AM   #13
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Warranty=Insurance

You don't need it until you need it, since all I buy is pre-owned I just try and figure a full service into the price and hope for the best. In the end, I usually get them serviced in the first year or so and that way I have a base line for the rest of the life of the watch.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 10:04 AM   #14
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Probably not that often but it's nice to have. Even though it's not that long.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 10:24 AM   #15
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Every Rolex I touch turns to flip-bait, so I buy used/out-of-warranty. I'll be closer to recovering my investment that way.
Sellers who offer watches with warranty use it as a way to command a higher price because that's what some buyers want. I prefer not to pay for the warranty I'm not likely to need.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 10:32 AM   #16
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
My Polar Exp II stopped dead shortly before warranty expired, and the GMT IIc broke from a known issue about a year after its warranty expired. Both were repaired at no charge, thanks to said known issue. I bought both new from ADs, and I baby my watches, big time.

Warranties are good to have.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 11:14 AM   #17
scott k
"TRF" Member

My TT sub went back to RSC Los Angeles due to an imperfiction on the dial...no problem with the warranty..I have bought many rolex watches without a warranty....no bad experiences
scott k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 11:29 AM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I just factor in the cost of a service when considering a used purchase.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 11:33 AM   #19
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm with Mike on this, and agree with some others who compare a warranty to insurance.

I choose to buy pre-owned but recently serviced (perhaps within past couple of years). Then calculate the risks compared to the savings...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Get insurance! All my watches are fully insured.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 01:22 PM   #21
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I had two Subs. quit after THREE years, so I was out of luck.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 09:34 PM   #22
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I imagine most repair of newer watches are not extremely excessive, i.e., well below $1500 for 95% of issues and under $600 for 90% of issues. However, I could see some sort of unchecked failed waterproofing could really create some excessive repair costs.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 11:58 PM   #23
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I bought a new GMT II C. A week later it flat out stopped running. Was happy to have had a warranty.

However I buy most of my Rolex now from David. If I buy new I get the Rolex with my name on it on the warranty card.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 12:17 AM   #24
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Insurance is recommended, but remember -- you are seeing a very small percentage of Rolex owners here on TRF. This is also where most owners go to complain and/or seek advice regarding issues.

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 12:59 AM   #25
T01
"TRF" Member

Nice to have, however I doubt they get used all that often.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 01:27 AM   #26
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I'd rather have it and not need it, than the other way around...

No service since 1998? That is rather overdue imho
Old 24 September 2014, 01:43 AM   #27
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Rolex has rock solid reliability compared to almost all other brands. They are build to be workhorses. Chances that you will need to send in for repair I would say is low. But a warranty is still good to have. Its like why we buy insurance. When you need it, its there.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 12:36 PM   #28
Rolex57
Banned

Watch: DSSD, YM2 SS
I didn't think a Rolex warrantee would be necessary either, until I had to use it a month after I purchased my very first SD back in 2007. Turns out after having it for a month, there was a defect in the bracelet that I hadn't noticed when I purchased it. I took the watch in and Rolex Canada replaced the bracelet free of charge.

I'd also like to add that having that warrantee card actually helps long after the actual warrantee has expired. Let me explain. I purchased my DS in 2009 brand new. The dealers "Rolex" trained watchmaker while removing links in the bracelet for fitting, bungled up the screw that went through the extention link to the main bracelet. That was 5 years ago. I've lived with it since, but now I want to replace it. I figured as the watch is now 4 years outside of warrantee, I'm relegated to having to pay for a replacement screw. I called up Rolex Canada today to inquire about how much that replacement screw will set me back. Expecting to hear RC tell me that would be $100, I was pleasantly surprised to hear from the the service lady that if I have the warrantee card, I can bring that and the watch in tomorrow, Wednesday, and Rolex Canada would gladly replace the screw free of charge while I wait. I re-iterated again to the service lady that my DS is outside the warrantee period. She assured me that was fine and they'd replace the screw free of charge if I bring the warrantee card in with me.

I don't know of other's experiences with regards to free parts' replacements, but if this is something new and not practiced in the past, I think Rolex is turning a corner on customer service. Could it be they are going to treat customers differently what with the price increase, and margin decrease?????
Rolex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 01:28 PM   #29
Chelseafan
Banned

No guarantee give you leverage on price and there is your scenario. I have owned 6 and NEVER needed anything. If you can get $500 off price compared to AD I'd say verify seller and forget the guarantee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chelseafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2014, 03:55 AM   #30
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex57 View Post

I don't know of other's experiences with regards to free parts' replacements, but if this is something new and not practiced in the past, I think Rolex is turning a corner on customer service. Could it be they are going to treat customers differently what with the price increase, and margin decrease?????
As I understand it, Rolex Canada and Europe have always been better about parts and such than here in the US. If it were here on that bracelet screw, they would have likely said "Send it in and we'll have it back to you in a month or two. The cost will be $200 plus shipping."
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote