The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 May 2016, 10:53 PM   #31
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
If you just unscrew the crown and yank a lot of time it wont hack. Unscrew the crown will jump to the wind position, wind a few turns, gently pull out to the quick set position and wait for the second hand to reach 12:00 the pull out all the way the second hand will stop. then set your time to an accurate source and gently push in the crown and screw down.
Old 2 May 2016, 12:13 AM   #32
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You can hack it by putting 'turning back pressure' counter-clockwise on the crown when changing the time. Not ideal of course, yet works.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I find it unacceptable at this price point and perceived level of quality.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 12:42 AM   #33
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
A while ago I was close to buying a 5167 Aquanaut...couldn't get my head around the fact that the "finest" brand's movement didn't hack. Completely unacceptable to me.

This isn't because Patek decided to cut a corner, or it was just too difficult a complication for Patek. Patek chooses not to hack their movements because they claim it's hard on the movement. The 324 in the 5167 is one of the best movements out there.

I'm going to have to accept Patek's opinion on this one. While I love watches that hack, I gotta think Patek knows what they're doing.
Old 2 May 2016, 01:13 AM   #34
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
I have had this happen on an old 16710. My watchsmith replaced a part (hacking mechanism), and i never experienced the issue again.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 01:15 AM   #35
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
This isn't because Patek decided to cut a corner, or it was just too difficult a complication for Patek. Patek chooses not to hack their movements because they claim it's hard on the movement. The 324 in the 5167 is one of the best movements out there.

I'm going to have to accept Patek's opinion on this one. While I love watches that hack, I gotta think Patek knows what they're doing.
That makes since. The hack mechanism is just a piece that jabs into the balance wheel preventing it from moving. Seems like thay could cause issues.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 01:30 AM   #36
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
I appreciate what you're saying, but I find it unacceptable at this price point and perceived level of quality.
Best just stick with Rolex, then.

Whilst I'm not an Aquanaut fan, Patek don't make any watches with movements as crudely-finished as Rolex. Don't get me wrong, both PP and Rolex make great watches, but they are not in the same class. A PP watchmaker told me that putting back-pressure on the hands to stop the movement does no harm, so you CAN "hack" a PP when all is said and done.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 01:49 AM   #37
FritzW
Banned

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexxxeloR View Post
...When you pull out the crown to stop the seconds, and the hand keeps moving! I feel like that shouldn't happen on a Rolex...

I found that if you use your middle finger and thumb (thumb on top and middle finger o bottom of crown) and pull the crown out all the way, it seems to more easily stop the second hand. I think this helps because your distributing the pressure evenly and the crown stem doesn't get racked. I think most many use the finger nail on their middle finger on the bottom of the crown and use that mostly to prull the crown. At least I found my self doing that. Just make sure that your pulling the crown directly out away from the case; not up and put.
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 01:53 AM   #38
FritzW
Banned

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
...When you pull out the crown to stop the seconds, and the hand keeps moving! I feel like that shouldn't happen on a Rolex...
I too noticed this yesterday when setting the time.

I found that if you use your middle finger and thumb (thumb on top and middle finger of bottom of crown) and pull the crown out all the way, it seems to more easily stop the second hand. I think this helps because your distributing the pressure evenly and the crown stem doesn't get racked. I think most many use the finger nail on their middle finger on the bottom of the crown and use that mostly to pull the crown. At least I found myself doing that. Just make sure that your pulling the crown directly out away from the case; not up and put (as what happens when pulling out mostly from the bottom of the crown).
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 02:53 AM   #39
RolexxxeloR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
I too noticed this yesterday when setting the time.

I found that if you use your middle finger and thumb (thumb on top and middle finger of bottom of crown) and pull the crown out all the way, it seems to more easily stop the second hand. I think this helps because your distributing the pressure evenly and the crown stem doesn't get racked. I think most many use the finger nail on their middle finger on the bottom of the crown and use that mostly to pull the crown. At least I found myself doing that. Just make sure that your pulling the crown directly out away from the case; not up and put (as what happens when pulling out mostly from the bottom of the crown).
I have found this to be the case, and like you said, it's because of the lack of distribution of pressure when using fingernails...
RolexxxeloR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 05:18 AM   #40
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Quote:
Huh? When you pull out the crown all the way on a Sub, the seconds hand is supposed to stop...every time.

I swear, I've had this issue with every Rolex I've owned.
Are you mean the second hand keeps moving. The OP said 'hands'. Thought he meant hour and minute

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 08:22 AM   #41
RolexxxeloR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
Are you mean the second hand keeps moving. The OP said 'hands'. Thought he meant hour and minute

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I'm the OP... Yes, the seconds hand keeps moving. Again, it only happens once in awhile, but it's annoying on a $15k+ watch...
RolexxxeloR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 10:47 AM   #42
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Best just stick with Rolex, then.

Whilst I'm not an Aquanaut fan, Patek don't make any watches with movements as crudely-finished as Rolex. Don't get me wrong, both PP and Rolex make great watches, but they are not in the same class. A PP watchmaker told me that putting back-pressure on the hands to stop the movement does no harm, so you CAN "hack" a PP when all is said and done.

Thank you for your advice....and yes, I will be sticking with Rolex for the time being.

Whilst I accept that Patek's movements might be prettier than Rolex, I feel it is unfair to describe Rolex movements as "crudely finished".

I choose to spend considerable money on gaining personal convenience and comfort in many areas of my life. This includes my timepieces. I say again, IMHO it is unacceptable that PP's movements in the Aquanaut and Nautilus are non-hacking. If they are so clever then let them find a way of making it work to MY convenience, not theirs.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 10:53 AM   #43
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Thank you for your advice....and yes, I will be sticking with Rolex for the time being.

Whilst I accept that Patek's movements might be prettier than Rolex, I feel it is unfair to describe Rolex movements as "crudely finished".

I choose to spend considerable money on gaining personal convenience and comfort in many areas of my life. This includes my timepieces. I say again, IMHO it is unacceptable that PP's movements in the Aquanaut and Nautilus are non-hacking. If they are so clever then let them find a way of making it work to MY convenience, not theirs.
OK, PP have lost a customer, more power to you.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 11:13 AM   #44
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
The PP thing is not a big deal to me. You can effectively hack the movement by playing with the crown as already mentioned. But there is an added convenience for those that travel, namely you can reset the time while the second hand continues. So the to the second accuracy remains even after jumping forward or backward.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote