The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 January 2017, 11:40 AM   #1
leddyjam
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMT Master Ref. 16750 or 16700

Hi all - I am currently researching for the future purchase of my 'grail watch', a Pepsi GMT Master. I was born in 1984 with which I am leaning towards the purchase of a complete, original set 16750 (production '81 to '88) over a complete set 16700 (production '88-'99). But want to get the best watch for my future goals with which I do have a few questions/concerns. Please keep in mind that I plan to be a daily wearer, take great care of the watch, and hope to pass a complete set down to my son some day:

1) Glass: 16750 glass is Acrylic Crystal - will this stand the test of time for a daily wearer? 16700 was the first year for Sapphire which I know is durable.

2) Dial: 16750 apparently has 2 dials - a Matte and a Glossy - is it correct that an original 1984 GMT 16750 would come with a Matte dial? In other words, if an apparent '84 model has a Glossy dial that would mean it was replaced?

3) Dial: I believe that 16700 from '88 to '98 come with Tritium and starting in '98 Rolex transitioned to Luminova. Is this correct?

4) For a complete original set 16750 or 16700 in good condition - what is a fair price range?

5) Based off any experience you might have with more vintage pieces - is there a Pepsi GMT that will better last the test of time? I basically am trying to get the best of both worlds - 1) enjoy the watch everyday with as much care as possible and 2) have it in good enough condition to pass it down some day.

6) Is it a big risk to buy a tritium dial/hands watch and hope to hand it down some day? I could always plan to buy a more recent Pepsi who's production came with luminova to ensure that the originality of the watch will better stand the test of time.

Probably way too many questions but I am really enjoying the investigation piece of watching hunting!

- Jim
leddyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 12:38 PM   #2
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Let me preface this by saying I am far from an expert. I recently picked up a mint 16700 with boxes and papers on eBay for a little under 8k.

You have to buy your birth year though so it looks like a 16750. That year did come with the white gold surrounds on the dial, I find that this tends to keep the tritium in place. I did some quick poking around and you can find one of these in the 9k ballpark.

Good luck with your search
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 01:17 PM   #3
leddyjam
"TRF" Member

Thanks, DB! Ideally I want my birth year 1984. But provided I want to get the best bang for my buck in terms of longevity of the watch in its original state - I would consider a later vintage reference if it meant avoiding having to face issues of needing to replace original parts (specifically dial and arms) down the road. I want to buy a vintage Pepsi GMT and hope to keep it in-tact for years and years to come while wearing it. Not sure if 16750 or 16700 would be the best option....
Old 4 January 2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

OP"..I believe something like this 1984-85 16750 GMT full set might be what you are looking to acquire. While mine is not for sale...I would strongly urge you to consider this reference with white gold surrounds and tritium markers and hands. I do wear this watch frequently and expect that it will hold up fine for many decades to come so long as it is worn with care and serviced as appropriate.
Good luck in your hunt...the GMT 16750 is a great reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.3 KB, 335 views)
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 01:25 AM   #5
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
You can't really go wrong with either the 16750 or 16700, provided you thoroughly research the seller etc and satisfy yourself that all is indeed okay with the watch. The non gold surround dial versions of the 16750 seem to be harder to find but if you are prepared to keep looking, you will likely turn one up.

I have both and I find that the 16700 feels as if it wears slightly heavier, though I expect in reality there is very little difference in weight. The 'heavier' feel may simply be down to the sapphire crystal, and to that end, it feels slightly more robust and ...this may be a consideration for you in terms of the 'test of time' you mentioned. I also do not risk any of my plexi glass watches including the 16750, in water anymore, preferring the 16700 for that (maybe just me being over cautious!). No doubt both versions could go on 'forever' if looked after and serviced though. The 16710 may also be worth considering. These seem to be becoming more popular in recent times and seem to command pretty good prices. I had one a while back though moved it on, something I slightly regret now. Its not a lot different from the 16700 though the slight disadvantage with the 16710 from my standpoint was that it did not have the quick set date. In all though, these are great watches - good luck with the hunt!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 03:41 AM   #6
leddyjam
"TRF" Member

Hi there - Thanks for your original response! I had a few questions for you... if you have the time to reply I would really appreciate it.

1) What year is your 16750 and when/where did you purchase it?
2) Do you have any specific call-outs or advise in terms of purchasing a vintage 1984 16750. I am doing my homework both in terms of seller and what an original watch should have in terms of components (dial, bracelet, glass..). But I have heard that counterfeits are extremely abundant and some so good that even a reputable seller with experience might not be able to catch it.
Old 5 January 2017, 04:18 AM   #7
leddyjam
"TRF" Member

Kenny - Thanks so much for your response! I am really excited about eventually buying a vintage (modern vintage) GMT - and am enjoying the process of doing my homework to select the ideal reference and actual watch for purchase! I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1) I do not plan on taking the piece into water... I want to take as best care of it while wearing it daily - so my plan is to routinely get it service but ensure that all original pieces are not removed at service. Based off your experience with multiple GMTs - is there one that will most likely preserve itself better long term?

2) Provided I aim to take good care of the watch - do you have a strong recommendation in regards to acrylic v. sapphire glass? My heart is aimed on buying a 1984 16750 because its my birth year - but I do not want to accidentally drop or ding the watch and suddenly need to put in a later date replacement crystal when I should have simply bought a GMT with sapphire in the first place.

3) My local Rolex AD dealer is very against buying vintage pieces due to the large amount of counterfeit watches and components out there. I am doing my homework to understand what an original GMT will look like/include and plan on purchasing from a reputable dealer that has a strong record here @ TRF. Do you have any callouts that I should take into consideration?

4) Lume - I really want a tritium dial/arms as I like the idea of patina (much more than having luminova that will always glow). But who knows what the state of the tritium will be in 30 years from now when the watch is over 60 years old. Do you have any concerns that your vintage tritium pieces will need service dial pieces to keep the watch functioning or do you feel that the tritium will continue to last?

Thanks so much for your time and cheers!

Jim