The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2017, 07:15 AM   #1
Albertone
"TRF" Member

The Battle for Alberto's Wrist: Rolex GMT II vs Apple Watch II (round 1)

Due to a set of circumstances (summarized in the following thread: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...51#post7601051) I was without my beloved 16710 for a few months while it was going back and forth with RSC.

Frankly, while I have a couple of other nice watches (e.g. Patek Calatrava, Frederique Constant) none of them are great for daily wear/work so I decided to invest $400 in an Apple Watch while waiting. I figured that if I disliked it I could always return within a couple of weeks.

Much to my surprise, I really liked the Apple Watch. In fact, I liked it so much (especially some of its time and alarm features and activity tracker) that I was wondering: What's gonna happen when my Rolex comes back.

I'll spare you the details but, within 4 days, the Rolex is back on my wrist and the Apple Watch spends most of its time in the charger (with occasional outings when exercising or hiking or when I need to use the timers/alarms.)

It's an interesting Battle Of The Watch Brands for a number of reasons:

1) Currently Apple is #2 in worldwide watch revenue, Rolex is #1. And I suspect this may flip in a few years (if not next year or two).

2) Rolex is 10x the cost (and then some)

3) Apple has 10x the functionality (and then some) ... yes, some/most of that functionality is also on my smart phone but, somehow, it feels much more natural on the wrist. It's nice to be able to just rais your wrist and say, "Siri start timer for 10 minutes" when cooking a pizza, for example.

4) In 10 years (or 100) the Rolex will still be functional and more valuable, the Apple almost certainly not.

In other words, a VERY interesting battle of two giant world-class brands that, in many respects could not be more different: old vs. new, mechanical vs. electronic, steel vs silicon and silicone (the Apple Watch band is great and very comfortable), designed to last vs. designed to be obsolete.

The GMT II still puts a huge smile on my face every time I look at it. But I liked the Apple Watch MUCH more than I would have thought.

I suspect that Rolex and Apple will both hold steady at either #1 or #2 for years to come. And other brands like Patek will also continue to find a market, but I suspect that many of the smaller/less iconic brands will suffer.

What do you guys think? Have you tried that Apple Watch? How long did it stay on your wrist?

Alberto
Albertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:26 AM   #2
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Haven't even tried on an Apple Watch - no real interest for me personally for now, my iPhone is more than enough and having my Rolex on (mechanical, a real piece of art and something I truly enjoy looking at and wearing as part of my "style") is a nice opposite.

That being said, the sole interest I would have for an Apple watch is for fitness as I don't wear my Rolex watches while working out. If Apple releases the Series 3 where it can work without the phone and have storage for songs (Spotify), I'd gladly get the cheapest option for working out with my bluetooth headphones and leave my phone in my gym locker. Otherwise, no-go on the Apple Watch for me.
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:29 AM   #3
machob55
"TRF" Member

Look at it this way, Rolex is a superb mechanical time piece with over 100 yrs of history behind it. Apple watch is a smart phone on your wrist. Both utilitarian, but Rolex is timeless...enjoy

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:32 AM   #4
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Wait till the honeymoon period ends with the Apple Watch. Mine ended after 2months and sat in a drawer for 8mo before I sold it. Only thing I wear lately is my Rolex and they are staying.
Old 1 September 2017, 07:35 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertone View Post
What do you guys think? Have you tried that Apple Watch? How long did it stay on your wrist?
I own an Apple watch along with the rest of my watches.

They are two completely different tools and I wear each at their appropriate times. I rotate my watches through out the week and I wear my Apple watch for exercise.

Simple.

Like it or not they are not competitors for my wrist.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:36 AM   #6
winger14
"TRF" Member

To me the Apple watch is hideous. When I wanted a smart watch I swapped from and iPhone to a Samsung so I could get the Tag Connected smart watch. Whilst I really like my smart watch and its features, nothing compares to a 'real' watch.
winger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

The Apple watch is as pointless as a Rolex. Yes it has more functionality but ultimately both are redundant because neither does anything your phone can't do.

So then it boils down to what reasons you have for wearing an accessory on your wrist other than functionality. Personally I'd sooner wear nothing than a computer.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:41 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well, if you have two wrists, just keep the AW on right one...

Some additional features worth wearing the AW include phone mirroring (see who's calling without even pulling phone out). Same with texts. Same with navigation - it taps your wrist when you're coming up to a turn.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

Apple watch is a redundancy. Cannot justify the need for basically a smartphone on your wrist when you have one in your back pocket. Not for me.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 08:07 AM   #10
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Interesting and thoughtful. Thanks for sharing! I don't want an apple watch at this time, although I have a iPhone. I am over the moon with my first Rolex the DJ41 and have only taken it off to sleep and play sports since picking it up. I'd be open to a fitness watch if I needed one but I am not currently interested in something that extends the functionality in my phone. All that said, I'm guessing you felt similar things and that's why you were surprised at how much you liked it. I would probably fall into the same boat. I'm curious about the new Fitbit watch coming out. Anyway I ramble. Thanks for your thought provoking thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 08:20 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
3) Apple has 10x the functionality (and then some) ... yes, some/most of that functionality is also on my smart phone but, somehow, it feels much more natural on the wrist. It's nice to be able to just rais your wrist and say, "Siri start timer for 10 minutes" when cooking a pizza, for example.

Alberto
It's the thin end of the wedge. In ten years they will have thought tech devices so you won't even need to raise your wrist or speak at all. I'll stick to traditional watches.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 08:30 AM   #12
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I own an Apple watch along with the rest of my watches.

They are two completely different tools and I wear each at their appropriate times. I rotate my watches through out the week and I wear my Apple watch for exercise.

Simple.

Like it or not they are not competitors for my wrist.
I agree with this statement.

Both my Rolexes (or other watches for that matter) can't tell me how many laps I've swam, how many miles/elevation I've hiked, heart rate, calories burned etc. etc.
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 09:17 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I agree with this statement.

Both my Rolexes (or other watches for that matter) can't tell me how many laps I've swam, how many miles/elevation I've hiked, heart rate, calories burned etc. etc.
Exactly and my phone cannot do those things either, certainly not in water or where I need to be able to see the data at a glance.

Again, this is not a contest. Certainly some are trying to make it so.

Two different devices for two different purposes. Those who do not like any type of smart watch do not need to trouble themselves with one.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 09:21 AM   #14
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
To me, the definition of a tool watch is a smart watch since it actually assists you in multiple ways/scenarios.

A sub/SD is a tool watch only if you're diving; a gmt only if you need to track different timezones. Other than a select few scenarios, they are simply luxury timepieces.

Rolex = timepiece
Apple watch = tool watch

Title of this thread should be "The Battle for Alberto's Wrist: timepiece vs toolwatch (round 1)"
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Albertone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Apple watch is a redundancy. Cannot justify the need for basically a smartphone on your wrist when you have one in your back pocket. Not for me.
That's what I thought. I had no interest in the Apple Watch when it first came out. ZERO. ZIP. NADA. Like you, I figured that it would do a subset of what the smartphone did.

But little things like heart-rate (more accurate than I thought) and really easy to use timers/alerts, etc., turned out to be more useful than I would have thought.

As I've said, after toying (and testing) the idea of wearing both (with the rationalization that one is a watch and the other one a timer/heart-rate monitor/etc.) I decided to stick to my "first love".

Here's a pithy way I can summarize it my experience:

I liked the Apple Watch much more than I thought I would.

But once I had my Rolex back ...

I missed the Apple Watch less than I thought I would.

And, finally, when the GMT was getting serviced, I missed it A LOT.

But I've revised my original prejudices about the uselessness and pointlessness of the Apple Watch. It's a useful and well executed product that, for what it is and the constraints on it (size, battery, etc) it's exceptionally thoughtful and well executed.

It is, if I may say, ahem, The Rolex Of Smart Watches ...

... I can already feel the heat from the flames coming after this comment ...

Alberto
Albertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 10:48 AM   #16
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Quote:
I actually had an RSC visit that resulted in the last month without my only Rolex, which forced me to my Apple Watch(Series 1) as my daily timepiece.

I was actually excited to have the opportunity to wear it consistently(since receiving it Krismas 2016 and sitting in a drawer) to see if it improves any particular part of my day/work/life. With the exception of having the day and date on my wrist, or looking at the alignment of the planets on any given day, I just never got the smile on my face that would come with glancing at my Rolex. Never ever, not once.

After the first day, I was okay with needing to put it on the charger; but the magnet charging dock didn't connect completely, and the next morning I strapped on a $300 wristband for the day.

It's not particularly good looking, nor did the extra tech really improve my interaction with my other device(s)...and I have Apple Everything: iPad Pro, iPhone, AirPort, Apple TV, and MacBook Pro. I figured the watch could be a good round-off for the set. Unfortunately my favorite app(Spotify) does not integrate with the Apple Watch due to Apple Music needing precedence.

Overall, I see wearable tech as something to stay; but for the kind of experience that only a Rolex can provide, it is simply no match. I too thought it was neat for the month on my wrist; but I won't miss it.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 10:59 AM   #17
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

The Battle for Alberto's Wrist: Rolex GMT II vs Apple Watch II (round 1)

This battle is going to end with the Apple Watch getting knocked out

But in all seriousness, I'm intrigued by the health features. If they manage to find a way to integrate a blood pressure monitor I might consider it. It would never replace my Rolexes though. I'll wear it on my right hand, at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 11:48 AM   #18
Seanken
Banned

Uhh. Two completely different worlds here. Little, precision MACHINES that tell time and other functions with a power source that is also mechanical, is wonderfully anachronistic. Want you watch to talk to you and post your latest BM on facebook? Apple watch is for you.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 11:50 AM   #19
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Seiko SKX>>>>Apple Watch.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 01:51 PM   #20
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
You have to charge your Apple Watch every day or it's worthless. I can wear my Rolex forever. Plus, for the Apple Watch to really be all it can, it needs to be paired with an iPhone. So if I have my iPhone with me, why would I want to read messages on my Apple Watch's postage stamp screen?

I have an Apple Watch. In fact, I probably have one of almost everything Apple makes. I used the watch for fitness stuff for a while but decided a fitbit was better for me. The constant charging was annoying, and only the most recent generation was at all waterproof. Sorry, it just doesn't fit my lifestyle. Neat little toy, but ultimately not much of a watch.
Old 1 September 2017, 02:07 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Get a fitbit flex II and wear it on your dominant wrist; wear your Rolex on the other wrist. You'll be able to track all you want and swim with it as well. Apple watch doesn't hold the slightest interest for me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 03:08 PM   #22
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
+1

I have no desire to own an Apple Watch. A smartphone on my wrist would bring me no joy (in contrast to my mechanical watches, which do make me happy) and I can see no practical benefit of owning one
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 04:59 PM   #23
sager
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Wait till the honeymoon period ends with the Apple Watch. Mine ended after 2months and sat in a drawer for 8mo before I sold it. Only thing I wear lately is my Rolex and they are staying.
Yup, same here. Didn't sell it though. Still use when around the house running.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote