The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 February 2017, 04:09 AM   #1
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Newbie - Power reserve question

So I have a few Rolex in my collection, and I REALLY like the look of the Panerai. So, it'll be a new add, however I'm sort of confused when looking/researching what type I'd prefer.

Question: Some are automatics, some aren't. Are the "8 day" and "10 day" models, are those basically manual winding, and that is the power reserve? If so, how do people that have them like them? I don't mind winding my watch, just curious if some would have preferred the automatic after they've had the manual.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12 February 2017, 04:14 AM   #2
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Those are the approximate power reserves on those models. Pretty amazing.

Personally i can't have a manual wind watch. Too much to remember to do. Love my automatics.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 04:24 AM   #3
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Some I've looked at over at DavidSW's have the "Marina 3 day", but when I look further it says its an automatic movement. This is where i get confused. There are quite a few different references, and I just want to make sure I don't go out and get something that I thought was something else.

I don't disagree on the automatic movements. But if the power reserve is shown on the dial, I can at least be reminded. Granted, that's one of my issues: I like the cleaner dials w/less on them.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12 February 2017, 04:39 AM   #4
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culley22 View Post
Some I've looked at over at DavidSW's have the "Marina 3 day", but when I look further it says its an automatic movement. This is where i get confused. There are quite a few different references, and I just want to make sure I don't go out and get something that I thought was something else.

I don't disagree on the automatic movements. But if the power reserve is shown on the dial, I can at least be reminded. Granted, that's one of my issues: I like the cleaner dials w/less on them.

Thanks for the reply.
Panerai is a tricky brand. I have a PAM 359 and love it. Its pretty iconic in the brand as it even has a nickname "Dirty dial".

The thing to think about Panerai is stick to the base models. Also don't buy new. You can get them for an amazing price used on the forums. They don't hold there value so might as well buy low and sell low.

When looking at the 8 day or 10 days you are getting into the more expensive stuff that you'll never get your money back on. If you really love it go for it but expect the lose. It doesnt stop people on here spending 12k on a panerai. They love the brand and get what they want.

I would go on the panerai site and get a digital catalog sent to your email. Take a look at some stuff and get an idea of what your looking for. Find the most base model of the style your looking for and your good to go.

Most people say stick to the classic characteristics (50s case, Laminar, base model, 44mm or 47mm case)

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 04:57 AM   #5
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

If I were shopping for a manual wind pam I'd prefer to have a power reserve gauge. IMO the 422 does this best with a gauge on the back so it doesn't crowd the dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0700.jpg (71.5 KB, 242 views)
sanosan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

I love winding mine every morning:) just like seeing my dad winding his watch when I was a kid.

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
As far as I'm aware, the power reserve indicator doesn't bear any relation to manual or automatic. My 689 has a ten-day power reserve with a linear indicator across the lower half of the dial. It's automatic. However, the iconic 233 has an eight-day power reserve, same linear indicator yet it's a manual.

My favourites are the 1950 Luminors. Most will recommend the classic base models but I'd be looking at something with a little more to offer. Take a look at the 312 and 359. Maybe look at something with a GMT complication, like the 233.

If you're a flipper, I agree with Brandon; buy a used, tidy reference and don't worry about losing money. If you're a keeper like me, buy new but do your homework and look for the best deal you can.

I buy from the OP boutique in Singapore out of loyalty because I'm treated exceptionally well there. Sure, it costs me a little more but I'm ok with that. I place a value on service and loyalty because I'm old school (and soft in the head)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 11:03 PM   #8
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
In the early days of the linear "fang" the 8 days were mostly manual and the 10 days automatic. However the 8 days 233 I have has at least 10 days power, so I suspect it is a nod to the old 8 days Panerai rather than a different design. 8 - 10 days make sense on a manual, and it's useful to know what is left. Then it can sit in the safe during the week and come out for the weekend and its weekly wind.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 02:15 AM   #9
yaku
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM. 88 rolex..
The 8 day I have on the 560 and 564 is very convenient. I wind it and I am all set of next 8 days. Since I rotate my watches, I just wind them when it comes back To their turn. Although these two models don't have the indicator, but I am okay with that. I prefer it to my auto at the moment. As for buying new or old, depends if u flip or not. I am a keeper so I don't mind paying a bit more for new ones, besides I have good discount with my AD. I like the newer version with a slightly flatter dome glass.
yaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 09:12 AM   #10
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Ended up going with the 372, and went through Takuya on here. First thing/issue I noticed that I wish I had (and love about my Rolex): the date. It won't be a deal breaker but I can see myself adding a date watch to the collection.

Thank you all for your input on these.
Old 10 October 2017, 01:00 AM   #11
psychokandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Crown.Rose.Shield
My PAM000 has a power reserve of 62 hours. I last wind on Friday midnight and it kept on running till today 2:00pm. I am impressed.
psychokandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 02:10 AM   #12
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
I went for the PAM 422 having similar tastes as you. Manual Wind with 3 day power reserve on back (not cluttering that beauty of a Sandwich Dial)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote