The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 October 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Star Ferry
Banned

Blancpain Bathycaphe -- Case Materials

I was considering getting a 43mm Bathyscaphe. But I'm not sure about case material: ceramic vs. titanium vs. steel. Is it worth paying a premium for ceramic or titanium?

I've tried them all on but it was a while back.

Black Ceramic

Steel

Titanium

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:10 PM   #2
meganfox17
Banned

Go for the 3 hander SS Bathyscaphe with the mesmerizing subtle sunburst Meteorite grey dial texture. A superb balance between urban sophistication and recreational activities !

If Jacques Cousteau and Jacques Piccard were still alive today , both would have chosen the SS Bathyscaphe model for you !
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Go for the 3 hander SS Bathyscaphe with the mesmerizing subtle sunburst Meteorite grey dial texture. A superb balance between urban sophistication and recreational activities !

If Jacques Cousteau and Jacques Piccard were still alive today , both would have chosen the SS Bathyscaphe model for you !
Thanks for your comment. The street price of the SS is a fair amount less than Sub date, making it pretty attractive to me.

Solid diver, different than the norm, and from a brand with a meaningful history of producing dive watches
Old 21 October 2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

Just tried to give the boutique my business, but they won't budge from 84000 HKD ($10,760) on the SS. They say all prices are fixed at MSRP.

Not expecting the gray market price or anything close, but would have liked to meet them somewhere in the middle
Old 21 October 2017, 07:25 PM   #5
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Interesting. I must have walked past that Blancpain boutique in Central a dozen times in the past year and never seen a single customer in there! I guess they have limits but I would have thought 20% off the sticker price should be achievable on a Blancpain.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:35 PM   #6
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Interesting. I must have walked past that Blancpain boutique in Central a dozen times in the past year and never seen a single customer in there! I guess they have limits but I would have thought 20% off the sticker price should be achievable on a Blancpain.
I told them I'd buy at 10% discount.. they said that was not possible. I was the only customer in the shop.

Was not a big issue at all, and I respect their store pricing policy. I thanked them for their time and went on my way.
Old 21 October 2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Star Ferry
Banned

Upside: Grabbed a Seiko PADI Turtle on the walk home. It's a great watch by all accounts
Old 21 October 2017, 08:16 PM   #8
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Just tried to give the boutique my business, but they won't budge from 84000 HKD ($10,760) on the SS. They say all prices are fixed at MSRP.
The Ref number of the Blancpain Bathyscaphe grey meteorite dial is 5000-1110-B52A .Can you cross check with a Hong Kong Grey Re Seller of Swiss luxury watchmaker brand called Rare Rare Limited based in Kowloon ?
I may be mistaken but I think this dealer has a BNIB 2016 model unworn going for ~ HK $ 58 K nego
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
The Ref number of the Blancpain Bathyscaphe grey meteorite dial is 5000-1110-B52A .Can you cross check with a Hong Kong Grey Re Seller of Swiss luxury watchmaker brand called Rare Rare Limited based in Kowloon ?
I thought they had a BNIB 2016 model unworn going for ~ HK $ 58 K nego
I just wanted to try the boutique first to see what they could offer I know there are many grays offering BNIB at a big discount to retail
Old 22 October 2017, 06:52 PM   #10
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Up until a couple of weeks ago, the black ceramic chrono was one of my grails, however, having just tried a pre-owned one on in Singapore, I think I like the steel version better. The case brushing is a standout feature and the black ceramic kind of masks it...
That said: Have you seen the blue dialled version with the grey ceramic case ? I haven't in person, but in pics it would appear that you get to appreciate the brushed appearance with the bonus that it won't get scratched up.
As an aside, I wish that they offered the black dial as an option on the SS version of the watch, I'm not a massive fan of the grey.

Image courtesy of Topper..

asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 02:42 AM   #11
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Up until a couple of weeks ago, the black ceramic chrono was one of my grails, however, having just tried a pre-owned one on in Singapore, I think I like the steel version better. The case brushing is a standout feature and the black ceramic kind of masks it...
That said: Have you seen the blue dialled version with the grey ceramic case ? I haven't in person, but in pics it would appear that you get to appreciate the brushed appearance with the bonus that it won't get scratched up.
As an aside, I wish that they offered the black dial as an option on the SS version of the watch, I'm not a massive fan of the grey.

Image courtesy of Topper..

In person the gray is a little bit darker then in the photo, that being said its an amazing looking piece.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 10:01 AM   #12
Hank
"TRF" Member

I personally think this watch looks best in ceramic. I love the cool, sleek look of the black ceramic. As an added bonus, ceramic is very light and virtually scratch proof too.
IMG_9886.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 10:12 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Gorgeous!
Old 24 October 2017, 01:28 PM   #14
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Gorgeous!

Thanks!

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 07:40 PM   #15
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Thanks, I like the blue dial in ceramic. I didn't try that specific one on, but I saw it
Old 24 October 2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I personally think this watch looks best in ceramic. I love the cool, sleek look of the black ceramic. As an added bonus, ceramic is very light and virtually scratch proof too.
Looks great. The conservative side of my brain wants me to park the money safely in a Sea Dweller 43, but the risk-taking side says I should try on the ceramic chrono
Old 25 October 2017, 06:10 AM   #17
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I told them I'd buy at 10% discount.. they said that was not possible. I was the only customer in the shop.

Was not a big issue at all, and I respect their store pricing policy. I thanked them for their time and went on my way.
From what I heard, boutique are just not allowed to give discount, they do give out free strap though ;-)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 09:42 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That's shocking TBH. Doubt BPs sales are up strong and 10off is WAY more than they sell them to the ADs for. I get saying that loudly in the store but I'm shocked they don't follow up with a text saying yes please. Here's your extra strap and champagne.

An AD should give you much more than 10off, just do that. Dare to be different. I'm expecting a BP myself
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 10:48 AM   #19
tng11
"TRF" Member

I've seen the grey ceramic/blue dial one and I think it is stunning. Best of both worlds where you can appreciate the brushing that would be on the SS while being scratchproof. Also nice to have ceramic that isn't just blacked out or white (too bright for me.)

However, Star Ferry, I too, would be conservative and park my money into an SD43.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:16 PM   #20
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I'm also surprised about the lack of discount, especially given the pricing on the secondary market....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:47 PM   #21
islands62
"TRF" Member

Same experience at the Vegas BP Boutique. No discount but free strap on offer.
islands62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 07:47 PM   #22
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Don't think any boutique from any high-end brand budges on price...but just think of the service and 'free' branded swag!

Although if the strap doesn't fit you the AD will very nicely punch a hole for you instead of ordering one to fit.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 06:07 AM   #23
osamu
"TRF" Member

I haven't seen the titanium in person, somehow I never knew the black dial is also a sunburst dial. I've always loved the grey dial, but now I will need to see the titanium in person.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote