The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2011, 10:53 PM   #31
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I think that 42mm would look too large. But you see pics almost everyday here with guy wearing watches that look too large.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2011, 12:23 AM   #32
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
As a sufferer of chronic small wrist syndrome, I've always felt that the test is to see where the lug ends end up on my wrist. If the lug ends overhang and the bracelet angles on down, that's it for me and my 6.5" wrist. The true width of the watch isn't as important to me as those lug ends.

But having worn a 38mm sport watch for awhile, I also admit that once on my wrist, the eye adjusts to acceptance and often, my perception of what's too large changes after wearing the piece for a time.
6.5mm wrists are not really "small". I suspect most non-large guys have 6.5mm wrists, and 42mm watches are fine. Besides, the roundness of your wrist vs the flatness of the top of your wrist (the part that shows with a watch) is much more important than the 6.5 measurement. If you want a larger watch, I'd ignore wrist measurements and just wear the watch you like.

Speedy Pro's are a pretty big seller in Asia, and I bet some of those folks have smaller wrists-- and do just fine with the 42mm Speedy. Also, the view you have looking at the watch on your wrist is not the same view that others have of the watch you're wearing. I've always thought that looking at the watch on your wrist makes it appear larger vs your wrist.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2011, 01:25 AM   #33
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Some watches wear "small" and some wear "big" than they seem.

I tried at an AD the 42mm on my 6.5 wrist and it was fine...it just did not appeal to me.

I tried a DSSD and it also looked fine, but also did not appeal to me.

I tried a 44mm Hublot Big Bang and it was HUGE on my wrist. The Big Bang wears "big" and is big.

My AP ROO Panda is also 44mm and just looks fantabulous on my wrist.

I believe it's also the "whole arm" look that matters. If you are "skinny" on the biceps, forearm and wrist then watches will look big on you, if you are bigger or muscular then most watches will wear fine.

Ultimately it's up to YOU to decide what wears GREAT on you.
Old 6 December 2011, 02:19 PM   #34
watchyou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
Some watches wear "small" and some wear "big" than they seem.

I tried at an AD the 42mm on my 6.5 wrist and it was fine...it just did not appeal to me.

I tried a DSSD and it also looked fine, but also did not appeal to me.

I tried a 44mm Hublot Big Bang and it was HUGE on my wrist. The Big Bang wears "big" and is big.

My AP ROO Panda is also 44mm and just looks fantabulous on my wrist.

I believe it's also the "whole arm" look that matters. If you are "skinny" on the biceps, forearm and wrist then watches will look big on you, if you are bigger or muscular then most watches will wear fine.

Ultimately it's up to YOU to decide what wears GREAT on you.
44mm PAM on my 6.25 wrist.
watchyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 02:38 PM   #35
tictocChuck

Watch: Rolex Submariner
It's a big watch and I generally wear XL gloves, so it looks fine on me. Very comfortable and nice weight and feels more comfortable than my Sub-c. The black dial Explorer II looks comparable in size to my Sub-C at a glance. I liked it so much I bought it! But anyways, smaller wrists should probably stick with 36-40mm watches, although if you like it, go for it after a few trips to your AD to assess fit. Good Luck
tictocChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2011, 12:32 AM   #36
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
I've been considering this watch since learning about it. I have small wrists at 6.5" or smaller and I've found that some watches overwhelm me. I have not been able to find the new Explorer II locally, so curious if any forum members with small wrists are wearing one? Any feedback on wrist presence, weight, comfort? Pictures always appreciated. Thanks!
I think that's pretty large on a 6.5" wrist...
dooder202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2011, 12:34 AM   #37
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
simple anwer.......it would be way to big
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 12:09 PM   #38
W-S Tiger

Looks great...going to sell my dj2- white dial and pick up an explorer 2
W-S Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 12:17 PM   #39
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Yes too big.
Kinda personal but here is the prayer I say as I kneel at my bed everynight.

Thank God for those who know when a watch is too big for them. AMEN.

Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 12:28 PM   #40
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
WatchYou: Holy heck, bud, those are some arms - you sure they're only 6.25" wrists on the ends?? :)

I'm following this thread as I'm curious what others think about the size on smaller wrists. I've got 6.25-6.5 depending on the weather and I feel like 39-41 is about the right size...for me, anyway.

I'll say one thing...since I'm new to having a "real" watch, I've been picking up the weights a lot more...reason: well, besides building up, I wanna bulk up to handle a larger watch!

TuonoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2013, 07:58 PM   #41
lufu
"TRF" Member

It looks big but I'm keeping it.

Taken in Singapore - Gardens by the Bay

lufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 02:11 AM   #42
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm at 7 3/8" wrist and i fell it barely makes the cut for me. Plus I need to remove one link and its still loose
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 06:30 AM   #43
Bakasana
Banned

My worries... I have a small wrist, but it seems like I may be ok. I'm about 7".
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 08:12 AM   #44
Fila0220
"TRF" Member

Watch: 42mm Polar EXP II
I am somewhere between 6.5 and 7. The only downside for me is putting on something less than 42mm. It feels, dare I say, almost too small. What I find what works for me, as far as how it looks too big, is wearing the watch a little lower towards the fingers.

Fila0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 12:14 PM   #45
Rickn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Sub
I have a very flat 6.75 inch wrist and the Exp II is an odd fit for me. I can just barely pull it off, but oddly the DSSD and YMII seem to fit much better.
It is a watch that needs to be tried on.
Rickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 01:45 PM   #46
GFLRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
I absolutely love the looks and the build quality of the new Explorer II. Went to the AD three times to convince myself that it would look good on my 7 1/4 inch wrist. But no. Just too big and bulky for my taste. Got myself a 16570 BD instead.
GFLRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 02:12 PM   #47
jack81
"TRF" Member

ExpII on my 6 inch wrist. Some will say its too big. But it was my daily wear for 2 years and the size never bothered me. I like big watches. Used to own couple of pam which is obviously larger thsn expII. If you really like it than by all means you should get it. It really is a great looking watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140509_203202-1.jpg (87.0 KB, 834 views)
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 06:21 PM   #48
style88
"TRF" Member

Actually think 6.5" wriist is ok for the 42mm Explorer. My wrist is 6.5" and I have that watch, and never thought it was too large. The lugs are definitely within the wrist.
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 06:42 PM   #49
nintendo
"TRF" Member

You should consider the profile of your wrist as well. Not just the diameter, depends whether it is rounder or flatter.

I have a 6" wrist

uploadfromtaptalk1411289099512.jpg
nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 10:23 PM   #50
jerseyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My wrist is about 6.75" so I went with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00609.jpg (87.0 KB, 788 views)
jerseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 11:09 PM   #51
sportsmaven20
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engi View Post
IMO the new 42mm ExpII is way too large for a 6.5" wrist or smaller.

I tried one on (I've a 6.5" wrist) and it seemd like having a pizza on my arm ...

Ciao

Engi
I have a 7" wrist and I had the same experience, so I flipped my 215670. Many prefer the larger watch look which is completely fine for some and not for others...if you like it and feel comfortable with the size, go for it!
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 03:05 AM   #52
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

While I appreciate that people should get what they like and that size can be subjective, there is an objective element as well. There seems to be a lot of threads on watch size, and some of the attached photos look, well, silly. We make sure that we wear properly sized shoes, suits, shirts, etc., so why should a watch be any different? I too am cursed with small wrists so I can sympathize (I desperately wanted an Omega Darkside of the Moon), but I see so many guys on the train with skinny wrists wearing beasts of their wrists. They probably have gotten used to wearing an ill fitting watch, but to others, like myself, it is noticeable. To each their own, but I do think their are objective limits to what size watch people can/should wear.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 03:17 AM   #53
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
While I appreciate that people should get what they like and that size can be subjective, there is an objective element as well. There seems to be a lot of threads on watch size, and some of the attached photos look, well, silly. We make sure that we wear properly sized shoes, suits, shirts, etc., so why should a watch be any different? I too am cursed with small wrists so I can sympathize (I desperately wanted an Omega Darkside of the Moon), but I see so many guys on the train with skinny wrists wearing beasts of their wrists. They probably have gotten used to wearing an ill fitting watch, but to others, like myself, it is noticeable. To each their own, but I do think their are objective limits to what size watch people can/should wear.
Have to agree. If I chose clothes too large for me, I'd look ridiculous and others would think so. I could still choose to go ahead and wear something too big for me, of course.

My dad thinks my 40mm ExpII is a beast on my 6.75" wrist, compared to his much smaller Omega on his massive wrist
red.earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 03:22 AM   #54
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
This is a 3 year old thread, but you can see from the comments that those who like to wear oversize watches all think that "it looks just fine", while those who are more conservative believe that it looks a bit "cartoonish"

It's clear that people get used to wearing a certain look. Anything that deviates from their look feels, somehow, wrong.

There is no such thing as a size-to-size approach to wearing a watch. In other words, just because you are a large person you do not "need" a large watch, likewise, just because you are a small person doesn't mean that you are doomed to mid-size watches.

Your watch can be a tool for time-keeping and a part of your character, or it can be a statement.

Choose what you want your watch to mean to you and go from there.
Old 22 September 2014, 09:28 AM   #55
Bakasana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is a 3 year old thread, but you can see from the comments that those who like to wear oversize watches all think that "it looks just fine", while those who are more conservative believe that it looks a bit "cartoonish"

It's clear that people get used to wearing a certain look. Anything that deviates from their look feels, somehow, wrong.

There is no such thing as a size-to-size approach to wearing a watch. In other words, just because you are a large person you do not "need" a large watch, likewise, just because you are a small person doesn't mean that you are doomed to mid-size watches.

Your watch can be a tool for time-keeping and a part of your character, or it can be a statement.

Choose what you want your watch to mean to you and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo View Post
You should consider the profile of your wrist as well. Not just the diameter, depends whether it is rounder or flatter.

I have a 6" wrist

Attachment 536656
Have more pics...from farther away to gain perspective? I too have a small wrist and I'm on the fence on this piece.
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 10:01 AM   #56
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Like many things, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

I have conducted a tiny little experiment over the last couple of weeks....motivated by my (dare I say it?) unhappiness with my Daytona.

I spent a week wearing my DD (36mm), which is rarely worn and is my smallest piece. It felt small at first, but within a few days felt and looked perfect. I then wore the Daytona for a few days....first time it didn't feel small. Now I've worn my BLNR for 2 days, which of course feels large. I'll get to my 216570 soon...

I say, if you're happy then that's all that matters....and thank The Lord I flipped my 44mm Pam!

PS. I have rather flat 7.5" wrists

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 10:19 AM   #57
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
40mm is timeless, 42 mm is fashion and desirable! each to his own taste.
I've seen the expo reviewes, it lost a couple points for not being "timeless"! in the Watch Mag!
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 10:28 AM   #58
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Yes it's too big.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 01:58 AM   #59
46crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I like it

I have large, fat, mongo 8" wrists and was wondering if it looked too small :)

46crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 02:25 AM   #60
jack81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Life is too short friend, if you really want Omega Dark Side of The Moon you should just go for it instead of keep on wondering. A little bit bigger wont hurt your wrist and you get to enjoy that beauty that will make you smile everytime you glance it. No offence intended, just my honest opinion.
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote