The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2017, 04:40 AM   #271
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
YM platinum dial but only from a female work colleague who knows what it is. She says "I love it, so elegant, you should wear it more often"
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 10:43 AM   #272
sammbp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date
I’ve gotten plenty of looks at my rolex, but never any compliments or questions.
sammbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:21 PM   #273
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Both of mine get compliments but my dj2 iced out gets the most !
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:32 PM   #274
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I got a compliment from a woman yesterday at the bank. She thought it was a Michael Kors watch. Most non watch people don't notice. The invicta people always think my Sub is an invicta. I just play along.
Old 20 October 2017, 03:46 PM   #275
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

My 4-digit sub and my 5-digit Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:41 AM   #276
elee617
"TRF" Member

These are what I've owned:

Explorer II 216570 (42mm black) - in two years, not a single compliment, which I liked! Such an underrated piece. Perfect size, GMT function, flies under the radar and in my opinion, the best value for money in the entire Rolex line.

Sub-C Black 116610 - The occasional nod of approval from other Sub-C owners. Sometimes awkward but enjoyable nonetheless!

Datejust II 116334 (Blue dial, fluted bezel) - By FAR the most compliments/questions. Those shiny fluted dials scream Rolex and command unwanted attention. I actually found myself covering it up with my shirt sleeve and never wore it with a short sleeve shirt. Was a beautiful watch, just wish Rolex found a way to tone it down a bit. White gold bezel + PCLs + bright blue dial = noticeable from Mars.

GMT 116710 BLNR - I got a lot "Where'd you get that?" in Singapore, Seoul, New York, Hong Kong and Manila.

GMT two tone 116713 - My 64-year-old Korean mom: "how come not all gold? Did you buy fake from China? Rolex should be all gold!"
elee617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:45 AM   #277
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

16528 and 16610lv
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:15 AM   #278
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
I've never had an unsolicited compliment from someone about my Rolex. Unless im surrounded by other watch enthusiasts, no one pays attention.
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:35 AM   #279
civicHB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee617 View Post

Explorer II 216570 (42mm black) - in two years, not a single compliment, which I liked! Such an underrated piece. Perfect size, GMT function, flies under the radar and in my opinion, the best value for money in the entire Rolex line.

Sub-C Black 116610 - The occasional nod of approval from other Sub-C owners. Sometimes awkward but enjoyable nonetheless!

Datejust II 116334 (Blue dial, fluted bezel) - By FAR the most compliments/questions. Those shiny fluted dials scream Rolex and command unwanted attention. I actually found myself covering it up with my shirt sleeve and never wore it with a short sleeve shirt. Was a beautiful watch, just wish Rolex found a way to tone it down a bit. White gold bezel + PCLs + bright blue dial = noticeable from Mars.

GMT 116710 BLNR - I got a lot "Where'd you get that?" in Singapore, Seoul, New York, Hong Kong and Manila.

GMT two tone 116713 - My 64-year-old Korean mom: "how come not all gold? Did you buy fake from China? Rolex should be all gold!"
haha like your moms comment
civicHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:42 AM   #280
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee617 View Post

Completely agree with regards the Exp 2 216570 Black Dial. It flies under the radar like the latest stealth offering from the skunk works. The SS bezel just doesn't register on anyone's Rolex radar which I like.

Also agree regards the exact same DJ2 as yours, blue dial, fluted bezel.
It's become the favourite watch in my collection. Simply beautiful. It has a hypnotic effect on people. When your trying to give someone eye contact in a conversation, sometimes I find them mesmerised by it. Makes you feel like clicking your fingers to break them out of the hypnotic trance they fall into. Lol!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:26 PM   #281
usling15
"TRF" Member

Rolex compliment

Years ago a customer asked if my watch was a Daytona, no I replied.
It was in fact my $79.00 Invicta
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:29 PM   #282
peterpl
Banned

I've only gotten compliments on 3 watches ever

1) 116613LB - for some reason everyone just stares at it even in work meetings I can see people's eyes look at it. Many comments from work colleagues and business associates

2) DD40 RG. Funnily enough I was at a fish and chips shop. The lady said "hey I love that watch" and I was a bit startled as I never had anyone say that. Then the guys next to me wouldnt stop looking at it. Kind of awkward waiting on my Tuna and chips

3) The most comments on my Panerai. Everyone likes these watches and women comment on Panerai alot more than any other watches Ive owned.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:59 PM   #283
ucfknights17
"TRF" Member

I am 29 and recently purchased my first Rolex. I have loved watches since my father showed me his Rolex as a kid and having a TAG in high school that I begged my mother for as a birthday present. From then on I have always noticed and admired fine watches of various brands, but I have never made a compliment or comment to a stranger because it feels inappropriate and I know it makes me feel a little awkward getting compliments on luxury personal items from strangers. If it were a friend and I saw they were wearing a fine watch that I admired I would compliment their watch. Mainly because it doesn’t feel inappropriate or awkward to compliment a friend. I love watches and wear one because I enjoy what it is and how it looks to me not to draw as many compliments as possible. So long before even owning a Rolex I always looked at your wrist and noticed what kind of watch you wore because in a way I think it tells a little story about yourself and your style. I always felt like Rolex is the gentleman’s brand of watches, while some others were the look at me type, and others even less under the radar but can be more expensive like IWC. I like nice things, but really because I enjoy them personally.

When I had a Ford Raptor I got compliments almost daily and even got pulled over once so the cop could look at my truck. I hated the attention and being chased down at the gas station while filling up. So being new to this watch with less than a month of wrist time and no compliments is perfectly okay with me.

But you guys that think no one notices... PLENTY of people notice they just don’t say a word. It’s like when your gf or wife would see a nice ring she would tell you in private did you see that ring it’s so beautiful etc etc, but she wouldn’t go up to the person unless it was her friend to look at it or comment. Obviously this isn’t always the case, but you get my point. They are admiring from afar! Lol

The Rolex’s that really catch my eye are the ones not easily available at the AD. Because you know that person took some time to find/obtain that piece especially if you have ever tried owning one yourself.

ucfknights17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 04:35 PM   #284
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
Whether people are willing to admit it or not....everyone loves nipples!

For me, the only one that I have got any comments on is my yachtmaster. I had a very attractive woman in a restaurant say "Oooooo that's blingy" with a big smile. And my wife says "that's one sexy watch" all the time.
Your wife is totally right and seeing yours so nice, you turned me on to this watch now. Thanks for sharing.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 05:28 PM   #285
Yvette
"TRF" Member

2 people noticed my blnr for my 7 month ownership
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 06:21 PM   #286
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Sad to say but my plat “masterpiece” aka pearlmaster wins hands down, even though I only really wear it to Vegas or special events, it’s always a show stopper and exponentially beats everything else in the comments arena. Everyone from celebes to pit bosses have made comments, where as all my other pieces are met with praises every once in a while.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 10:38 PM   #287
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

A good day is when I get complimented on my 14 year old sub date and my C7 Corvette on the same day and it has happened a couple of times.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 12:39 AM   #288
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

I own a bushel of Rolexes. I only get compliments on two things.

My F250 platinum truck
And My AP Royal Oak offshore on bracelet.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 01:56 AM   #289
speedyguy37
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Tag F1 - nope...
Tag Link - nope...
Speedy Pro - nope...
Breitling Cosmonaute - nope...
Rolex Milgauss - nope ...
Hamilton Ventura... multiple times... go figure, get a odd shaped watch and you too can get compliments.
speedyguy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 02:30 AM   #290
offtodd72
"TRF" Member

People always stare at my GMT but they never compliment, probably cause they don't know what it is
offtodd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 08:12 AM   #291
7Kenhinho
Banned

Watch: Datejust
There are a few things I've worned that have attracted the attention of others, but it's almost never a watch, other than family members.

As a result, I buy watches strictly to impress myself, something to admire on the subway ride home.
7Kenhinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 11:51 AM   #292
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
116520 is hardly mentioned when in the wild; unless someone else nearby has a Daytona. I️ like people not saying anything. That said, my $14 Casio catches eyes like horse flies.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 01:00 PM   #293
smym18
"TRF" Member

My 3 month old rhodium dial Yacht-Master more so than my 2 year old Submariner.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 07:47 AM   #294
taofeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex submariner
Definitely the two tone blue submariner gets attention from folks that knows such watches
taofeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 07:56 AM   #295
bravetony
"TRF" Member

as much as I love my Sub, I do get compliments on my Breitling Chronomatic on a orange nato since it color coordinates with the seconds hand and some of the markers.
bravetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 12:49 AM   #296
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Explorer II (16570) has received the most compliments however I have owned it the longest. Situations from a real estate closing from the seller, to an outfitter heading into the boundary waters, to an off-shore charter captain in the outer banks.

I dress down my watches in most situations to prevent unwanted attention, especially when I wear them presenting. Example: Exp II on a nato, BLNR on a brushed bracelet or Everest, etc.

Some good reading on this thread- new to TRF and enjoying the content from the group. Cheers!
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 01:58 AM   #297
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Only got one compliment ever in 4yrs and 3 Rolex watches- blro in ad. Which doesn’t count.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:19 AM   #298
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
How many of you have ever walked up to a total stranger and complimented them on their watch? I bet far, far fewer than those who've noticed someone else's watch. I get compliments, thumbs up, etc. on my car (gen 5 Z/28) all the time, but it's not the same as invading someone's personal space to tell them you like their watch.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:42 AM   #299
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
After 1 year of ownership:

RED G-SHOCK : 2 COMPLIMENTS

BLNR: 3 COMPLIMENTS
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:46 AM   #300
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
my APs get alll the compliments... But, my sky dweller gets noticed for sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sky d rg incoming .jpeg (45.2 KB, 213 views)
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote