The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 September 2016, 04:44 AM   #61
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The Apple iPhone tracks your movement and activities. My phone tracks my walking, steps, and all movement and even sleep activities (under the pillow if I chose).

For cardio exercise, I really do not want anything on my wrist be it mechanical or electronic. It is obvious when you are "in the zone" and I do not want any distractions.

There is no need for a watch to duplicate the functions so if I am going to wear a watch, it is going to be a fine mechanical one.

There is another thread of this exact topic. One of my responses was to listen to a music box on your smart phone and tell me how rewarding that experience is. Then look and listen to a fine hand made music box and see how it compares. If you cannot tell the difference, then wear your Apple watch and enjoy it. You just saved a bunch of money.

Franc
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2016, 06:13 AM   #62
dberman3
"TRF" Member

I wear a TomTom for the GPS when I run and if I want to count steps, it comes off the band and into my pocket. There's a Fitbit device that clips to clothing too and from what I understand, does much the same thing as the TomTom or Apple watch, minus the GPS (new to the Apple Watch). I like Apple and I like technology, but not as much as I like selecting which watch I'm going to wear each morning. I don't expect any technology, no matter how cool, is going to replace that!
dberman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 06:46 AM   #63
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Update: I purchased the new Fitbit Charge 2. This has everything I need for 24/7 health metrics, heart rate, sleep, cardio health using a proprietary algorithm, reminders to move,...etc. It's also slim and thin enough to wear tucked under the cuff and on the opposite wrist from my Rolex. A perfect solution in my opinion. This way, I won't get the Apple watch and will continue wearing just one "watch" and one "band".
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 06:54 AM   #64
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Wouldn't even consider those things for free, my mobile even bothers me enough that sometimes I turn it off for the day or a few hours, so to put another thing like that on my arm? Never
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 07:02 AM   #65
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Wouldn't even consider those things for free, my mobile even bothers me enough that sometimes I turn it off for the day or a few hours, so to put another thing like that on my arm? Never
Well there goes that Christmas present idea for you...back to the drawing board I go.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 12:56 PM   #66
josephvman
Banned

I caved and bought an Apple Watch 2 last week. I was most interested in it for the new swim app and water resistance, and some of the other health apps. I got the model on the dark link bracelet, which is nicely made and has a very well-engineered system of releasing links to size without a tool. I've been wearing it on the black rubber strap, which is also very well made and comfortable. I wear it on my right wrist, more as a fitness monitor, and one of my real watches on my left. It's nice to not have to pull my phone out to check text and email messages, but actually sending a text by drawing the letters with a finger is very tedious and frustrating. The activity and heart monitor apps seem to be fairly accurate and useful. I'm still learning the ins and outs, but I'm not knocked out by anything it does so far, but I've enjoyed playing with it. Hopefully some more useful apps will be developed and I'll get more out of it, but it does make a good beater watch.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 06:08 PM   #67
roger 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Ok, of course there is NO comparison at all!

But what I am wrestling with is especially with the new Apple Watch 2, there are lots of cool health monitoring features (gps for running/walking, swimming calorie burn, cardio/heart monitoring..etc). I really want to take advantage of these Apple Watch features, but in order to do so, you really have to wear the Apple Watch every day, practically religiously. Because if you rotate the Apple Watch on/off every few days (like most of us do with other watches), you won't get all the raw data and metrics over time on your activities, and it kind of defeats the purpose.

And of course I cannot take off my Rolex for more than a day or two. At least one of my Rolexes will pop right back into my rotation and onto my wrist no matter what.

So what's the solution?

I'm thinking a longer term solution is that Apple makes a "band" like a Fitbit band that has all the health monitoring features so I can wear my Rolex AND the Apple band (yet to be invented). But in the mean time what to do...
The answer is NO as always.... The minute my wife took off the Rolex and wear the Apple Watch she instantly Regret it....lol 😂😂😂😂😂
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (123.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 11 October 2016, 03:23 AM   #68
BlueIn2Red
"TRF" Member

Consider a fitness band (not smart watch) to wear on your "other" wrist - I think these are easier to get away with when wearing a proper watch as well.
BlueIn2Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 06:29 AM   #69
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
OP, dont feel you are missing out if you dont wear Apple Watch for a few days.

I rotate my Sub and Rolex all the time. For example, when I am at home, I wear my AW1 and when I go out with friends, I usually choose Sub.

For work, is definitely AW1 most of the time for me. Rolex too but is losing waist time lately.

I really like AW's HRM function and notification. When I drive, I get feedback and make calls, very handy as I have a older vehicle with no BT to connect to the car.
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 10:16 AM   #70
Jsan20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
I just picked up an Apple Watch 2 for fitness.
I have owned many rolexes. Just about everything from the sea dweller to the sky dweller. I'm a huge Watch enthusiast. After wearing it for a week you can see how this will eventually become something the majority of people wear in the future. The technology is definitely in a very early stage. The features it provides are valuable to me. I purchased it mainly for fitness but I like many other things about the watch now.

I am trying to figure out if i can wear this on my right arm and a Rolex on the left. Most of the posts I have read about wearing two watches basically make you a d-bag. Lol. What do you guys think?
Jsan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:30 AM   #71
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I use mine for working out or when doing things around the house.
Other than that, not much other use.
However, having crossed the A1C bridge to the bad side, hearing the new soon to be released version will feature a glucose reading, may get that one and use it more often.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 11:55 AM   #72
snyde
"TRF" Member

I've owned my AW Series 2 for less than a month and I am on the verge of putting it on eBay. I thought there would be some neat apps, or at least a good selection of them. I am impressed by the the processing speed, but really underwhelmed with the lack of developers that are interested in making some worthy apps.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 12:50 AM   #73
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyde View Post
I've owned my AW Series 2 for less than a month and I am on the verge of putting it on eBay. I thought there would be some neat apps, or at least a good selection of them. I am impressed by the the processing speed, but really underwhelmed with the lack of developers that are interested in making some worthy apps.
My co-worker is doing the same. He bought his AW a few months back and was totally underwhelmed by it. It's on eBay now as we speak.
Old 22 May 2017, 06:46 AM   #74
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Ugh... Not for me. I do not wear a watch when I work out and my performance is measured by the actual results. Once I can get a mile under 6 minutes, I know I am there :-)
Old 22 May 2017, 05:30 PM   #75
TheMonkey
"TRF" Member

I'm old school and prefer mechanical over the ewatches. For activity and fitness tracking I wear a Fitbit Charge with ankle adapter (you can get these on Amazon) so I don't have to wear it on the wrist.
TheMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 05:39 PM   #76
artschool
"TRF" Member

I just got a Garmin Fenix 5.

rolex has been relegated to the drawer for a few days now.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 05:42 PM   #77
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Ugh... Not for me. I do not wear a watch when I work out and my performance is measured by the actual results. Once I can get a mile under 6 minutes, I know I am there :-)
how do you track cadence or training effect?
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 02:28 PM   #78
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
how do you track cadence or training effect?
"I don't know, but I've been told,
Eskimo ice cream is bloody cold!"
Old 17 October 2017, 11:23 AM   #79
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonkey View Post
I'm old school and prefer mechanical over the ewatches. For activity and fitness tracking I wear a Fitbit Charge with ankle adapter (you can get these on Amazon) so I don't have to wear it on the wrist.

Will it still track your heart rate if you wear it on your ankle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2017, 05:52 PM   #80
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillOdling View Post
Oh so that's an Apple Watch?!!?

I though they were just catching, tagging and releasing morons. I assumed it was an alternative to the Bluetooth headset method
I haven’t laughed so much in a long time as when I read this comment. Bravo, sir!

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 04:31 AM   #81
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by rle737ng View Post
Get a Fitbit. Wear on your non-watch arm. That's what I do. Works great. Works with my iPhone. I get to wear Rolex.
I've seen a number of people doing this as well. The fitbits are much less obtrusive than an Apple watch, so it's not too tough to pull this off.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:14 AM   #82
Daddy KC
"TRF" Member

You could wear both on 1 strap Buzz Aldrin style
Daddy KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:17 AM   #83
SouthFLJay
"TRF" Member

You could pull a General Schwarzkopf and wear your watch on your left wrist, and the Apple watch on the right wrist! If anyone asks why, just say you are monitoring two time zones and your GMT is in for repair!
SouthFLJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:36 PM   #84
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLJay View Post
You could pull a General Schwarzkopf and wear your watch on your left wrist, and the Apple watch on the right wrist! If anyone asks why, just say you are monitoring two time zones and your GMT is in for repair!

You know who does this?? Al Roker, the NBC News weatherman. I noticed it during all the hurricane coverage over the summer. Rolex on his left and Apple Watch on his right.

Old 4 December 2017, 12:48 AM   #85
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
You know who does this?? Al Roker, the NBC News weatherman. I noticed it during all the hurricane coverage over the summer. Rolex on his left and Apple Watch on his right.

I saw that too. And I've been thinking all along that if the Apple Watch did not look like a watch then I'd have one by now. I don't really see myself giving up the pleasure of wearing a mechanical watch in favor of the Apple Watch and I can't bring myself to double wrist.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:32 AM   #86
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I saw that too. And I've been thinking all along that if the Apple Watch did not look like a watch then I'd have one by now. I don't really see myself giving up the pleasure of wearing a mechanical watch in favor of the Apple Watch and I can't bring myself to double wrist.

Yes, exactly. Hopefully Apple makes a “band” someday for people who want all the health metrics applications, but don’t want another Watch. Something like the FitBit Charge but made by Apple.

Old 6 December 2017, 07:14 PM   #87
HCTM
"TRF" Member

My gf has an Apple Watch and literally only likes watching the Toy Story Animations on it when she checks the time
HCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 01:53 AM   #88
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
I am having the same dilema...Seems that Fitbit would be the best choice.
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote