The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Do Not Panic - Your Rolex Warranty Is Transferable.

Despite many threads and replies from people like me CONFIRMING that Rolex warranty can be transferred, here below is an article from ablogtowatch. Enjoy!

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/can-role...fer-new-owner/

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 07:05 PM   #2
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
I believe it is too but your article states 'if you were the original buyer of the watch', would thag imply that a 3rd owner of same watch within the 5 years would not have a warranty?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 07:09 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

If a blogger says it how can it not be true?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 08:58 PM   #4
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

From the blog post (who actually spoke to Rolex):

"Getting back to the original question of whether or not a Rolex watch warranty is "mobile," the answer is yes. If you are the original buyer of a Rolex purchased at an authorized dealer, then you can transfer any remaining warranty period to a new owner. So if you buy a Rolex Submariner with a valid five-year warranty, and then decide to sell the watch three years later to a new owner, then that second owner would have two remaining years left on the warranty. After that, all repairs would be out of warranty and up to the owner to pay for."

Read it properly - it is saying that you are allowed to sell your watch and just like a car under warranty, the watch will be too. As long as it was bought from an AD.

Old 28 December 2016, 09:46 PM   #5
Kippers
"TRF" Member

It's poorly worded or maybe intentional but it states 'original buyer'. What if you are not the original buyer. Can you pass the warranty on? What's the source anyway, Rolex?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 28 December 2016, 09:48 PM   #6
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
It's poorly worded or maybe intentional but it states 'original buyer'. What if you are not the original buyer. Can you pass the warranty on? What's the source anyway, Rolex?

The source is a blog!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 09:49 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetswisssteel View Post
From the blog post (who actually spoke to Rolex):

"Getting back to the original question of whether or not a Rolex watch warranty is "mobile," the answer is yes. If you are the original buyer of a Rolex purchased at an authorized dealer, then you can transfer any remaining warranty period to a new owner. So if you buy a Rolex Submariner with a valid five-year warranty, and then decide to sell the watch three years later to a new owner, then that second owner would have two remaining years left on the warranty. After that, all repairs would be out of warranty and up to the owner to pay for."

Read it properly - it is saying that you are allowed to sell your watch and just like a car under warranty, the watch will be too. As long as it was bought from an AD.

Thats always been the case even since I can remember,but thanks to the internet and the many Rolex myths, what some see on the net is always taken as fact, but much on the net today is complete boswellocks.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
The source is a blog!
I'll pay no attention to it then

Old 28 December 2016, 10:58 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Why would I panic?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 11:01 PM   #10
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
No your Rolex warranty is not "transferable". Each new Rolex simply has a warranty for 5 years if the warranty card was activated and properly filled out at time of purchase!
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 11:31 PM   #11
Vinny 1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 11
[QUOTE=japenney;7244984]No your Rolex warranty is not "transferable". Each new Rolex simply has a warranty for 5 years if the warranty card was activated and properly filled out at time of purchase![/QUOT
So if you sold the watch, Say after 2 years then the new purchaser would have no warranty ?
Vinny 1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 11:44 PM   #12
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
[QUOTE=Vinny 1966;7245012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
No your Rolex warranty is not "transferable". Each new Rolex simply has a warranty for 5 years if the warranty card was activated and properly filled out at time of purchase![/QUOT
So if you sold the watch, Say after 2 years then the new purchaser would have no warranty ?
You missed the point of what I was trying to explain. The watch itself will have a warranty for 5 years regardless of who owns it. All you need to do is present the warranty card to Rolex when you bring it it. The name on the card should not matter. I get the impression that some people think that the warranty will be "transferred" in their name but that is not the case. If you want the warranty to be in your name specifically then you have to pay for a complete service by rolex and get a new card issued.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 28 December 2016, 11:45 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Its like a car, warranty follows the watch.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 11:53 PM   #14
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
I believe it is too but your article states 'if you were the original buyer of the watch', would thag imply that a 3rd owner of same watch within the 5 years would not have a warranty?
The phrase "If you are the original buyer of a Rolex purchased at an authorized dealer, then you can transfer any remaining warranty period to a new owner" refers to similar wording in the Rolex written warranty. It doesn't mean the warranty is only transfer by the original owner. This phrase is about the grey market. In the original warranty the phrase is something to the effect of "originally purchased by a consumer from an authorized dealer. If the original buyer is a reseller or grey market dealer then they are NOT a consumer and therefore the watch has no warranty at all - so obviously the warranty is not transferrable since there is no warranty to begin with.

Otherwise, the warranty is continually transferrable until it expires.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 28 December 2016, 11:57 PM   #15
Vinny 1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 11
This model is so named because it can withstand a magnetic flux density of 1,000 gauss
Vinny 1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 12:03 AM   #16
Mezz72
"TRF" Member

does make a bit of sense now that i think about it....
Maybe rolex is afraid that grey dealers will hanky panky the genuine parts in the watch, and thus the no warranty possibility?
Mezz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 12:32 AM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thats always been the case even since I can remember,but thanks to the internet and the many Rolex myths, what some see on the net is always taken as fact, but much on the net today is complete boswellocks.

"Boswellocks?"

My new phrase for 2017!

Thanks Padi
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 03:13 AM   #18
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezz72 View Post
does make a bit of sense now that i think about it....
Maybe rolex is afraid that grey dealers will hanky panky the genuine parts in the watch, and thus the no warranty possibility?
Not that exactly, because if a watch did come in for warranty service and had aftermarket parts in it, they would refuse service and void the warranty anyway. They want to discourage people from buying grey market by not offering a warranty on those watches.

But for all practical purposes how can they enforce this? They can't really. So they do it by requiring the warranty card be submitted with the watch when it's in need of warranty work. The ADs that sell to the big internet resellers don't want to run afoul of the mothership so they sell the watches without the warranty card so the watch is not eligible for warranty work. And that is why these grey dealers substitute their own warranty. Now the small resellers, like the trusted sellers here, are able to buy watches with the warranty card because they are not buying in the quantity that impacts the market the way Rolex is concerned.
Old 29 December 2016, 03:36 AM   #19
martinr
"TRF" Member

This is really breaking news, I had no idea.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 03:48 AM   #20
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
A couple of observations in this thread. First, every Rolex is bought from a AD. You cant get one directly from Rolex in Switzerland so it has to go through a AD somewhere no matter who buys it. Second the Warranty cards are not logged into anything. They are only used for re ordering purposes. The thing you have to be observant on is if you send the watch in for Warranty work make sure the Warranty card has someones name filled in. Do not send in a blank card. The original AD's info should also be on that card. I would also bet money on the fact that some of our trusted sellers here move more Rolex's than most AD's in a years time frame!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 04:02 AM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
As Mon said, "It's a blog...."

Blogs are not authoritative in any manner what-so-ever, and this one is so poorly worded it is impossible to know what the heck is going on...

A Rolex warranty is never "transferable" as it implies, because there is nothing to "transfer". (perhaps one could argue that it is "virtually" transferred or by virtue of the sale of the watch, all rights "transfer')

If the watch has a valid warranty, it is warrantied for the full term of the warranty period. Nothing gets transferred to the next owner, no matter how many owners are in line, the warranty simply tags along with the watch and anybody with the watches original warranty card can take in for warranty work.
Old 29 December 2016, 04:48 AM   #22
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Do Not Panic - Your Rolex Warranty Is Transferable.

Operationally, when a seller provides a Rolex to a buyer in exchange for value (trade and/or money), s/he is making over the possession or control of the asset and all rights thereto.

When you look that up in a legal dictionary you will find the word "transfer" - so the watch transfers to the buyer, along with any other items likes boxes, hang tags, stickers, warranty card, etc...

Word splitting aside the right to make claim on the warranty transfers to the buyer when the transaction is completed.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 05:41 AM   #23
RPB
"TRF" Member

Watch: V Serial 116710LN
[QUOTE=japenney;7245032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny 1966 View Post
You missed the point of what I was trying to explain. The watch itself will have a warranty for 5 years regardless of who owns it. All you need to do is present the warranty card to Rolex when you bring it it. The name on the card should not matter. I get the impression that some people think that the warranty will be "transferred" in their name but that is not the case. If you want the warranty to be in your name specifically then you have to pay for a complete service by rolex and get a new card issued.

Sent by my pet Gekko
I may have mis-read what you mean here, however I have just had my watch serviced and there is no name on my service card from Rolex.

Wish list - BLRO; TT GMT.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 05:44 AM   #24
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=RPB;7245754]
Quote:

I may have mis-read what you mean here, however I have just had my watch serviced and there is no name on my service card from Rolex.
And there doesn't need to be.
Old 29 December 2016, 05:50 AM   #25
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Second the Warranty cards are not logged into anything. They are only used for re ordering purposes...
I'm not sure that's exactly correct. It is my understanding the warranty card is swiped at point of sale to activate the warranty. So it is logged into a database that tells Rolex exactly when the warranty period begins - and therefore also when it expires. The buyers name is not part of this database because it is not part of the electronic information on the magnetic strip of the card, but the serial number of the watch I'd imagine is. And of course, Rolex would already know who the AD is as well as the exact configuration of that watch.
Old 29 December 2016, 07:32 AM   #26
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
The phrase "If you are the original buyer of a Rolex purchased at an authorized dealer, then you can transfer any remaining warranty period to a new owner" refers to similar wording in the Rolex written warranty. It doesn't mean the warranty is only transfer by the original owner. This phrase is about the grey market. In the original warranty the phrase is something to the effect of "originally purchased by a consumer from an authorized dealer. If the original buyer is a reseller or grey market dealer then they are NOT a consumer and therefore the watch has no warranty at all - so obviously the warranty is not transferrable since there is no warranty to begin with.

Otherwise, the warranty is continually transferrable until it expires.

Hope that clears it up.
Exactly

Old 29 December 2016, 11:59 AM   #27
JimMiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All you need to do is present the warranty card to Rolex when you bring it it.
Not quite. While the warranty follows the watch, Rolex has been known to require additional documentation to prove that a valid warranty exists (e.g., the watch was bought from an AD). Having the warranty card is not necessarily enough.

(Yes, yes, I know, avoid NYC, go to Dallas. Lather, rinse, repeat.)
JimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 06:55 AM   #28
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Here is a July 2017 update. Just spoke to Tiny Jewel Box in Washington, DC and talked to a service rep from Rolex Dallas. Both confirmed they will honor the warranty even though I am a second owner of the watch and my name is NOT on the warranty card. The Dallas rep even said verbatim "the warranty follows the watch".

I assume as long as the watch was not sold grey market, Rolex does not care. Signed and stamped warranty card from AD confirms the watch's legitimacy.

No need to speculate further. Rolex warranty is 100% transferrable.
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 06:59 AM   #29
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
There is no name on the warranty card and Rolex isn't holding a record of owners, so of course you can transfer it to the new owner.
Old 11 July 2017, 07:12 AM   #30
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
There is no name on the warranty card and Rolex isn't holding a record of owners, so of course you can transfer it to the new owner.

There IS purchaser name on the warranty card.

Case in point, that's not my name ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote