The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 January 2017, 11:43 AM   #1
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Rotor acting weird

So, my 1974 made 1601 (1575 movement) is worrying me a bit. If I lay it flat on my hand (face up, no bracelet), and move it up and down, I can feel the rotor moving up and down (non circular motion). I can't hear any sound, just feel a mass moving. When I swing it sideways to wind it, it doesn't make a sound (unless I hold it really close to my ear). Do you guys think there could be a problem?
DateJust74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 11:48 AM   #2
alexkarbo
"TRF" Member

I've had that with 16xx DJ in the past. Could be the rotor axel but I would not worry about it unless you can't hear a 'metal to metal' rubbing sound.
alexkarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 12:34 PM   #3
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkarbo View Post
I've had that with 16xx DJ in the past. Could be the rotor axel but I would not worry about it unless you can hear a 'metal to metal' rubbing sound.
It's quite silent. I hope the axle is OK, as I'd have to send it by mail or travel to another city ringer it serviced, no authorised Rolex independent watchmakers here, and no RSC either...
Old 3 January 2017, 03:18 PM   #4
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Any more thoughts? I'm getting paranoid about it, specially because it's been running about 15 seconds slow a day...
Old 3 January 2017, 03:25 PM   #5
alexkarbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DateJust74 View Post
Any more thoughts? I'm getting paranoid about it, specially because it's been running about 15 seconds slow a day...
Thats a ''small'' detail you forgot to mention. Best thing is to bring it for inspection. How long ago was the last service?
alexkarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 03:41 PM   #6
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkarbo View Post
Thats a ''small'' detail you forgot to mention. Best thing is to bring it for inspection. How long ago was the last service?
Well, the watch has been given to me about a month ago, and I don't know when it was last serviced. I want to have it serviced, but I've heard Rolex will take away my nice sigma dial if I send it in the RSC, and that they'll polish the watch despite the fact I don't want it polished. Also, I've heard it takes a long long time for them to send it back... is it true? Any suggestions?
Old 3 January 2017, 05:31 PM   #7
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Individual RSC policies vary. Do some online sleuthing to determine what others have experienced when they took their Rolexes in for service.

I got my meters first red Sub services at the San Francisco RSC only after I confirmed they would heed my instructions to not replace the dial, hands and bezel insert, and that they would do no polishing whatsoever to the case. It was probably the "easiest" money they ever made performing a service, as basically they replaced some internals and seals while charging me for a "normal" service.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 06:00 PM   #8
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
Individual RSC policies vary. Do some online sleuthing to determine what others have experienced when they took their Rolexes in for service.

I got my meters first red Sub services at the San Francisco RSC only after I confirmed they would heed my instructions to not replace the dial, hands and bezel insert, and that they would do no polishing whatsoever to the case. It was probably the "easiest" money they ever made performing a service, as basically they replaced some internals and seals while charging me for a "normal" service.
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna call the nearest RSC ASAP. Also, do you think this could wait a couple of months or time is of the essence in this matter?
Old 3 January 2017, 10:22 PM   #9
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DateJust74 View Post
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna call the nearest RSC ASAP. Also, do you think this could wait a couple of months or time is of the essence in this matter?
I'D get it done asap. Once it starts rubbing then you will get circular wear marks to the rotor. You wouldn't drive your car with a rod knock would you? Its not going to get better on its own.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 09:01 PM   #10
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Being able to feel the rotor (shudder) or wind is a common sign it needs to be serviced.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 03:46 AM   #11
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I may be wrong, but I think Rolex use a jewelled Ruby bearing for the rotor axel which eventually causes the shaft to wear out.
I had a slight rotor squeak develop on a 16710 last year. That was enough for me to take it to RSC for service. Like others have said, it won't get better on its own and if it comes lose then you will inevitably end up with the rotor leaving swirl marks around the inside of the case.
They won't polish the case if you don't want it done. Don't know about the sigma dial. They may service the movement but not offer a warranty unless you agree to having an original dial re-fitted during service, which you can have swapped back again once its out of RSC.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote