The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2017, 03:34 AM   #1
subsurface
Banned

How much do "papers & box" affect the price of a watch?

What price percentage, if any, would "papers & box" make to your Rolex purchase? Would you buy a grail if it had no documents?
subsurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:37 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It's worth a $1k or more deduction on trade in if you don't have a full set of box, papers, warranty card, instructions. everything. $500.00 deduction on trade in for a classic Rolex older than 20 years.
Old 8 July 2017, 03:38 AM   #3
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
It totally depends on the watch. The difference can be well into the five figures for something rare and old.

I personally wouldn't touch a new'ish watch that's not a full set.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:40 AM   #4
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Not only is it worth $1000 or more, but it can mean the difference between a sale and no sale.
Old 8 July 2017, 03:41 AM   #5
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
if you're buying a watch from someone that doesn't have papers it isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand if you're trying to sell your watch to the same seller it all of a sudden is a huge deal and worth a minimum of 1k.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:42 AM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
if you're buying a watch from someone that doesn't have papers it isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand if you're trying to sell your watch to the same seller it all of a sudden is a huge deal and worth a minimum of 1k.
Exactly what I was going to say
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:48 AM   #7
faldoc
"TRF" Member

I think I wouldn't buy one without the accessories since they add to the enjoyment of ownership.

Completeness.

They add a bit of authenticity.

I figure it's worth a few hundred in actual value.
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:53 AM   #8
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I would buy a vintage (and authenticated) piece without papers. Especially, considering them probably being on the 3rd or 4th owner.

I find it a bit odd though if a modern piece doesn't have papers in such a short period since a model left an AD. Enough so to make me concerned how well the rest of the watch was taken care of, if papers could be misplaced so quickly after purchase.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:04 AM   #9
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Pan is virtually unsellable without full kit, the fakes are too good
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:09 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
It totally depends on the watch. The difference can be well into the five figures for something rare and old.

The correct answer.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:12 AM   #11
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
To me it makes a huge difference. The extra money spent will come back to you if you ever decide to sell. I have bought without boxes and papers before and have regretted it when I couldn't resell easily, I won't ever do it again. The discount has to be very steep to be worth it, IMO.

And no, I would never buy a grail without a complete set.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:29 AM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
It shouldn't matter if you're keeping the piece. But if your into flipping then box and papers help.
Old 8 July 2017, 04:30 AM   #13
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Spot on. Been there and done that. Decided to keep it. Glad I did. It eventually grew on me and is now part of the rotation.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:31 AM   #14
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I agree that the box, booklets, tags, etc. do help to complete the package.

But they do little for proving authenticity. For that, you could - and should send to RSC for a service, and it would be returned with the 2-year warranty card verifying service date, model and serial number.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:44 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I agree that the box, booklets, tags, etc. do help to complete the package.

But they do little for proving authenticity. For that, you could - and should send to RSC for a service, and it would be returned with the 2-year warranty card verifying service date, model and serial number.
Exacty myself always buy condition and not a out dated warranty because that's all it is,as for the box well I don't wear the box.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:53 AM   #16
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I pay $2K extra for this full set.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:13 AM   #17
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
It shouldn't matter if you're keeping the piece. But if your into flipping then box and papers help.
This is 100% the truth. I bought my Exp I without a box or papers (but from a trusted seller) simply because I knew I'd never sell.
Old 8 July 2017, 05:14 AM   #18
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The correct answer.
I'm on this camp as well, but there are exceptions. If you come across a watch (only) you want at a good price and your watchmaker is ready to authenticate and service it, why not..
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:21 AM   #19
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I'm on this camp as well, but there are exceptions. If you come across a watch (only) you want at a good price and your watchmaker is ready to authenticate and service it, why not..
It's not authenticity that bothers me. You can always insist on paypal and then send it to an RSC to verify - totally safe. It's that there are sooooo many complete sets floating around. Modern watches are like buses.

If someone offered me a huge discount for an orphaned watch, I'd probably get it. However, genuinely good deals are few and far between on the forums.
Old 8 July 2017, 05:22 AM   #20
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Since my grail watch is a modern reference, I will buy new and expect all the accessories that come with a new watch.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:40 AM   #21
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Yeah I'd once again echo similar sentiments to JP Chestnut.....there are just far too many used modern Rolex around and I haven't seen a "steal" just because it's without papers/box...if it was thousands less maybe but we're often talking about hundreds.....but sure, I guess if someone would sell a modern Rolex for thousands less, I'd bite and verify on my own....

Vintage on the other hand, I have no problem buying without box/papers when the right watch comes along if the price is right....because with most hot vintage references, boxes/papers we're talking about thousands in price difference.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:45 AM   #22
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Yeah I'd once again echo similar sentiments to JP Chestnut.....there are just far too many used modern Rolex around and I haven't seen a "steal" just because it's without papers/box...if it was thousands less maybe but we're often talking about hundreds.....but sure, I guess if someone would sell a modern Rolex for thousands less, I'd bite and verify on my own....

Vintage on the other hand, I have no problem buying without box/papers when the right watch comes along if the price is right....because with most hot vintage references, boxes/papers we're talking about thousands in price difference.
I don't really trust the vintage box/papers either. As you say, huge differences in cost with and without. There is more than enough incentive to put together a "set" with some questionable papers.

Unless the pedigree is beyond question, I'm dubious.
Old 8 July 2017, 05:46 AM   #23
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not authenticity that bothers me. You can always insist on paypal and then send it to an RSC to verify - totally safe. It's that there are sooooo many complete sets floating around. Modern watches are like buses.

If someone offered me a huge discount for an orphaned watch, I'd probably get it. However, genuinely good deals are few and far between on the forums.

New pieces I agree, but we are on the market playing this game my friend. You said something absolutely true a time ago. The best deals are not with trusted sellers or anything like that but from friends and watch guys like us. Trusted seller's asking prices are not the market value. The real value is the price they pay. When people know we're watch guys many extraordinary things happen, but we must have our watchmaker ready for the the job and keep our minds open.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 06:54 AM   #24
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Not only is it worth $1000 or more, but it can mean the difference between a sale and no sale.
Yes, some serious collectors could refuse to buy watches without documents.
Sometimes, It's hard to estimate the price of those papers.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:00 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
10 - 15% to those who must have them on non vintage...

up to 50% on vintage.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:22 AM   #26
subsurface
Banned

Here's the reason I asked the question: Recently made the decision to acquire two additional Rolex and sell my herd of Doxa divers to try and subsidize the move. The target watches were 1) the very illustrious and reclusive GMT II master 16710B M-series stick w/ 3186, and the second watch in the transition is a no-date mate to my A-series Submariner 2-line Swiss only. This no-date would be my daily beater, and I won't miss setting the date, so paper, eh, not so important. Be happy to get a $1k+ bump in my direction for a watch-only deal on this watch.

But the "stick" - for me it's had to be all the way with papers, card and box, and cherry condition. And it cost me. But it's an heirloom piece. If it were a daily beater, gonna wear 90% of the time, specs of the "stick" etc. without papers/box, it would need to offer a lower price point - (much) more than $1k - in this case of this particular watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsurface View Post
What price percentage, if any, would "papers & box" make to your Rolex purchase? Would you buy a grail if it had no documents?
subsurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:57 AM   #27
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

You can get a watch maker to verify your Rolex.

What he cannot do is verify paperwork and cards because fakes are 99.99% impossible to detect.

There are thousands of guys around the world sitting on a full set and although the watch may be genuine, the papers are fake. They cost little to produce and up the value of a watch by a lot of money. They are produced by the thousands and are everywhere.

Simple question to the chaps who bought a watch that came with papers - have you actually had the papers checked for accuracy ?

If not, you are rather trusting, if you have, the dealer will look at it and almost certainly say yes it's ok because he cannot detect a fake.

Either way, you may well have paid over the odds thanks to a fake paper.

Not very sensible is it.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 08:33 AM   #28
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

I would agree with the other JP. Many factors when considering what value it adds to the complete package.

jP

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 08:50 AM   #29
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
10 - 15% to those who must have them on non vintage...

up to 50% on vintage.
X2. This seems very much to be "in the ballpark" percentages from my experience.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 08:52 AM   #30
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Depends on the watch.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote