The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Wools
"TRF" Member

How did you decide on your first Rolex?

I'm in the fortunate position that my life and work is going well that I'm considering buying my fist Rolex.

I've loved watches all my life but coming from humble beginnings, my first foray into watches was a Seiko Chronograph Quartz. I owned that watch for around 6 years and it accompanied me on my Wedding day so you know that I adored it! As time moved on and work progressed, I treated myself last year to my first ever Swiss watch; a Tag Heuer Formula 1 McLaren Special Edition. I was so proud of wearing it, it was the watch I always dreamed of owning and it never disappointed me.

However, buying that watch awakened something in me and I then started to dream of owning a mechanical watch and early this year, I purchased an Oris Pro Pilot Big Crown. It's a stunning watch and owning such a small, beautiful and wondrous piece of engineering always makes me tingle whenever I put it own and wind it.

As my career and life continues to be progressing well, I'm now in the position of wondering whether to buy 2 things: Either a Porsche Cayman 987 or a Rolex. It's a nice problem to have and after trying a few cars, I'm beginning to wonder to treat myself to a Rolex next year and hold off on the 987 as my current car is still doing me well.

If I was to ever own a Rolex, I always wanted to buy a brand new Submariner Date (Steel) as it was the iconic Bond watch but with a Date to make it useable in everyday wear. However, the Explorer II and GMT Master II (In Steel Case) also look the business.

As a man with a refined but simple taste and likes to live life with little clutter, I only wear 1 watch (Making a slight exception for the Apple Watch II for running) so this upcoming Rolex would be used all the time. Also as the price is insane, that helps my decision to own just 1!

So in your past, how did you decide on your first Rolex and did that lead the way to other watches or did you then settle as you had your perfect watch? I would love to hear your stories. :)
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:34 PM   #2
dr3ws
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR 126334
Hopefully you can find one to try on in UK, try all of them first and then close your eyes and imagine which watch would you want to live with everyday. Imagine you wearing the watch everyday for your daily activity, which one would you like to see the most on your wrist
dr3ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:40 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I saw it, I liked it, I bought it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:43 PM   #4
slide13
"TRF" Member

If you've always wanted a Sub then you should buy a Sub. Otherwise you'll still always want one I'd wager. Plus, it's a fantastic daily wear watch! I have he no-date version myself and it's my only watch and is worn everyday. I love it. Like you, when it come,s to a Rolex it was always the Sub in my mind. For others maybe it's the GMT, or datejsut, or Daytona....whatever model is the archetypal example of a Rolex in your mind should be the one you get first in my mind.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:47 PM   #5
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
I've always liked watches...had the usual ones growing up, Seiko's etc... but then one day I was wandering around the shops in Singapore and saw the Exp II in a window of an AD and I just had to have it... and the "collection" has continued to grow over the years... it's a lot of fun... and as they say "you can't take it with you" so at least I will leave some very nice watches for my nephew (and his sons) to enjoy for many years to come.

cheers
Old 9 July 2017, 10:54 PM   #6
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Congratulations - great "problem" to have! I recommend you try on every model you have even the slightest interest in. The way they feel and look on your wrist is sometimes (perhaps often) different than how you feel about them in your imagination. Obviously try on a Sub. Maybe you'll prefer something else. I couldn't believe how attracted to the Milgauss z-Blue I was. Then the Explorer (1/mk2). I enjoyed some a lot more than I expected and some less than.

Regarding the cost - yes they are expensive, but much less so than the Porsche. You could have a great set of luxury watches for that price. What's more they'll last you for the rest of your life - unlikely for the Porsche for a number of reasons. Just the cost of ownership (ignoring acquisition) of the Cayman will pay for the cost of a SS Sub. Plus you can enjoy the watch all winter long :-) good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:56 PM   #7
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
For me the Sub has always been the icon associated with Rolex so that's where my starting point was. From there it was deciding either SubC or Sub date, I ended up picking the cleaner look of the SubC because I enjoyed looking at that one more and didn't use the date that much on my previous watches.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:57 PM   #8
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Had 3 Porsche cars 30 years ago..
911, 944 & the 928

Wish I had bought Sub Mariners and GMT Rolex watches instead

Lost a fortune on the cars,,
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 11:24 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Subc date is a great first Rolex, it was the first I bought.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 11:26 PM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Get an 116610 LN or LV. Both amazing watches.

It won't continue to cost you money, like the Cayman will. IMO, a luxury car is a bad purchase in your position of career because it's a largely depreciating asset. Wait until later for the Porsche IMO
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 11:40 PM   #11
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

How did you decide on your first Rolex?

I happen to also start with a diver Seiko a long time ago. It pleased me very much except for the rotatable bezel that needed cleaning every once a while so that it could turn. After that, I wanted a Rolex, but saw to that it was too expensive; so I turned for the next contender with better prices: Omega. It was a nice ride with Omega since they are okey watches. After I progressed with my work, it was time for my first Rolex: GMT master 2 ceramic. It was perfect, then came my second and 3rd a Daytona and an Explorer. I also had the Omega moonwatch in between since it's also a must in a collection. Now, I'm considering to have the ultimate classic and icon of all watches, the no date submariner.
Good luck with your purchase, and believe me you'll never regret your purchase; in fact, you'll never have another brand after this purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 July 2017, 11:51 PM   #12
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
My first was a Sub w/out date but it was quickly replaced by a GMT Master 2 which stood me in good stead for a long time till collecting consumed me.

If a Sub Date is the first in your head that is the one to go with first.

On a side note as you say the price for a Rolex is "insane" true compared to your previous watch purchases. I am a car guy too and from experience purchase price, depreciation, and maintenance on any Rolex in my collection has never cost me a fraction of the cost of my cars through the years.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 11:56 PM   #13
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I was fairly similar to you, came from humble beginnings but was always fascinated by watches. Worked hard and started making decent money and even though I wanted a Rolex to be my first "real" watch, I ended up buying a Tag Heuer chronograph instead as I wasn't sure if I could afford the Rolex. Six months later, I bought my first Rolex, a GMT Master II. I had wanted the Sub but "settled" on the GMT II for economic reasons as it was cheaper than the Sub. I bought that watch 15 years ago for $2000 BNIB and it is now selling for over $7000. There is no better luxury item you can purchase and enjoy for years and still have it appreciate like a Rolex watch.

Since that time, I have added numerous watches to the collection, some have stayed, some have gone but the GMT II is still in the collection.

My advice to you would be to get the watch first (no sports Rolex would be a wrong decision) and then add the Porsche when the finances are right. I am on my 3rd Porsche now and although they depreciate much more than a Rolex, I still enjoyed the heck out of them.

Good luck and we'll be looking forward to the incoming pics!
Old 9 July 2017, 11:56 PM   #14
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
So in your past, how did you decide on your first Rolex and did that lead the way to other watches or did you then settle as you had your perfect watch? I would love to hear your stories. :)
A timely post, and being one who has bought a few cars in my lifetime I offer you this. If you are an auto enthusiast, then the lure of a sports car is strong. Being one who has gone through what you are going through now, and having bought a few sports cars, through experience you know that, except for very few cars that appreciate, they all end up worth nothing.

How did you settle on your perfect watch? For my story, read https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=547413. It was simple indeed as it just became part of my arm. Like many things in life, you will know.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 12:01 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I like dive watches. Ultimate was subc

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 12:08 AM   #16
GRB
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST HAM ROLEX View Post
Had 3 Porsche cars 30 years ago..
911, 944 & the 928

Wish I had bought Sub Mariners and GMT Rolex watches instead

Lost a fortune on the cars,,
This is so right. While the Porsche is a beautiful vehicle , in a few years
it will lose its luster and most of its value.
Enjoy that Sub, I know you're going to purchase.
GRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 12:20 AM   #17
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
I was a Longines man before I decided to get my first Rolex. Had my eye on a Milgauss GV, but then I got to try a GMT II BLNR and fell instantly in love. I still have a smile on my face even now.

My advice - if you have access to an AD with a good selection (might be difficult since you're in the U.K.), it would be best if you tried several watches. You may think you want the Sub-date, but then you try a SeaDweller and fall in love. 'Your watch' will call out to you.

And please buy for yourself - as in, buy what makes you happy and not what you think will be 'most acceptable' on the forum. If an Explorer speaks to your soul more than a Sub, get it.

All the best.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 12:24 AM   #18
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
SubC date
Subc no date
Gmtc
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 12:27 AM   #19
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I walked into Mayor's in Boca Raton looking for a steel Datejust. Had bought one at Tourneau months before that lasted about three days due to several major issues with its keeping time.

I wear a lot of gold. The salesman who was absolutely delightful said to me "I am happy to show you steel, sir, but you really need some gold." He showed me the steel and gold one and my eyes lit up. I was about to go for it, until he said "We also have this with diamonds."

My face did all of the talking. I didn't need to say a word. We figured out an agreeable price and I was on my way ...
worldfamoussam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 02:00 AM   #20
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

Easy. My dad gifted me one when I graduated from college. And another one when I graduated from grad school. And one from my wife for my birthday.

Never bought a Rolex for myself.
JasonKrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 02:44 AM   #21
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

this article moved me alot and my 14060 has stayed with me so far...http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/06/...mariner-14060/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patina copy.jpg (139.7 KB, 732 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 03:49 AM   #22
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Mine was a 14060 Sub, in 1994. Always wanted a Sub, so the madness started!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 03:51 AM   #23
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
this article moved me alot and my 14060 has stayed with me so far...http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/06/...mariner-14060/

+1 That article says it all. And is exactly why I went with the 14060m. It was my second Rolex after realizing a Tritium 16710 wasn't really cut out for the abuse of daily wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 04:01 AM   #24
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I turned 50 this year, so got myself a Datejust, then shortly after a sub no date.....love the sub it's a perfect every day goes with anything watch.......you'll never regret getting it, they're wonderful things to own....and they tell the time
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 04:02 AM   #25
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Buy what speaks to you: I wanted a Submariner because it was iconic: Bond, The Mechanic, diving, etc. I didn't even know they had other models. The Submariner shape and function lead me to the GMT. I now own both.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 04:08 AM   #26
Wools
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the comments and brilliant feedback.

It's true that I'm a real fan of Motorsport and Cars in general. But after looking at the options, cars can bring such joy but the day to day realities of running a car can cause more pain than satisfaction. Whereas my other dream purchase of a Rolex is far more pleasurable and within reach to enjoy everyday, with none of the drawbacks.

Alright, I may go for the watch! Last time I went to London, you could not see any modern Rolex sports watch for love nor money in any boutique, I'll have to find one and try them on... A challenge in itself! I presume when it came time to buy one, I can just contact an AD and ask for them to order a brand new one from Rolex themselves for the RRP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Subc date is a great first Rolex, it was the first I bought.
Being a kid who watched movies and Motorsport, the only 2 watches I was are of was the Rolex Submariner and Tag Heuer F1. It feels appropriate now I've owned the F1, the Submariner should be next! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
I was fairly similar to you, came from humble beginnings but was always fascinated by watches. Worked hard and started making decent money and even though I wanted a Rolex to be my first "real" watch, I ended up buying a Tag Heuer chronograph instead as I wasn't sure if I could afford the Rolex. Six months later, I bought my first Rolex, a GMT Master II. I had wanted the Sub but "settled" on the GMT II for economic reasons as it was cheaper than the Sub. I bought that watch 15 years ago for $2000 BNIB and it is now selling for over $7000. There is no better luxury item you can purchase and enjoy for years and still have it appreciate like a Rolex watch.

Since that time, I have added numerous watches to the collection, some have stayed, some have gone but the GMT II is still in the collection.

My advice to you would be to get the watch first (no sports Rolex would be a wrong decision) and then add the Porsche when the finances are right. I am on my 3rd Porsche now and although they depreciate much more than a Rolex, I still enjoyed the heck out of them.

Good luck and we'll be looking forward to the incoming pics!
Thank you very much! We sound very similar with our dreams and purchases, I'm aiming for next summer for my next purchase and I've got a feeling it'll be the Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
Great article, thanks for sharing it.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 04:12 AM   #27
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
I can't remember how the decision went down because it was 20 years ago.

I finally bought my first Rolex, and my grail, this year.........20 years of lust has finally been achieved.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 04:18 AM   #28
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I decided on my SS DJ with a Gray Tapestry Dial because that's what I could afford at the time.

That was over 30 years ago and I still have the watch today.
Old 10 July 2017, 04:22 AM   #29
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
My first Rolex was NOT my grail watch. My first was an early model DSSD. Having been an Omega Seamaster fan for decades I had a thing for diving watches. So when the DSSD came along, waterproof to OVER 2 MILES, I found myself seduced by the specs. Truth is that NObody needs a watch that can take those depths. In fact, if you're down that deep you're either dead or in a bathyscaphe-type submersible. In the latter case, you could be wearing a plain old Timex with zero waterproofing. But whatever - I just HAD to have it. Got it, wore it maybe twice, and decided I didn't like it.

It sat in my desk drawer for a couple years when I decided it was time to acquire my 30+ year grail watch, the GMT2 Pepsi. Worked out a trade with a trusted seller, and BAM!! Second one was the charm!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170706GMT2.jpg (45.2 KB, 669 views)
Old 10 July 2017, 04:23 AM   #30
jonnylax
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDK4, President
Sounds like you have been bit by the "rolex bug" and you're going to get one eventually, might as well do it now, financially speaking even if you do have to part ways with it, you won't lose much money on it, especially if you buy it right.. Look on here from a trusted seller, or go to an AD and buy new. I have only purchased 1 Rolex brand new when i knew I could have gone here and saved a couple thousand but I wanted to treat myself and it was a personal goal of mine which I accomplished now its back to probably buying on here for my next one. Im addicted to cars and watches. Cars I can never make my mind up and I end up changing every year, it really drives people around me nuts hahaha. I can no longer afford to take 8-10k hits on cars every year so a watch is a much safer investment for me.

I got my first rolex when I sold one of my companies I wrapped it up in the deal and I rarely wear it, in fact I never do, before that Rolex I was really into Breitlings, and had a few, 1 that I wore everyday. I got tired of the big bulkiness of the Breitlings, and started looking more into rolexes, they are timeless and never lose their style or value.

I purchased a Sea Dweller after I sold my Submariner, submariners are nice but EVERYONE has one which I don't like. Now everyone glances and thinks oh its a submariner but when they look close realize its a SD.

If you like the sub take a look at the Sea Dweller, GMT, Yachtmaster (underrated rolex IMO), and go from there. You cant go wrong with any Rolex you decide to buy. Congrats and I hope you find something you love, post pics when you get it!!!!! Save the porsche for next year!
jonnylax is offline   Reply With Quote