The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2017, 12:21 PM   #1
ADifferentPhilosophy
"TRF" Member

AD Discount vs Canada, 216570 Advice

Hi All,

Brand new to this particular forum. Lurked for a while. Have been looking for a semi-daily wear Rolex and settled on the Exp II 216570. With pre owned being so close to new (~6k pre-owned from DavidSW, ~7k new from the same) I am wanted to also look into purchasing from a local AD. The list is 8100 at the AD (upstate NY) and he seemed open to haggling since I came in with a decent watch on my wrist already (Zenith Chronomaster) and we discussed horology and the nature of the modern watch trade including the grey market. So the guy knows I've done my research and we spent about an hour together.

I do live only 4 hours from Toronto however. If anybody has any advice on the following questions, I'd appreciate it as this would be my first Rolex purchase (and yes, I have already considered the Sub, thank you).

Is it worth shopping around in Toronto assuming the exchange rate stays around 1.28? Given that the list prices are likely higher than stateside, and the 13% tax? I did some searching on the forum and if the $9300 CAD list for EXPII was accurate and I could get a 10% discount then.. The math would go something like this : 9,300×(1÷1.28)−700(discount) +853(tax) = 7420USD.

Does this seem like a reasonable proposition? Obviously I'd be neglecting fuel costs and I've heard there's an additional border tax bringing it into the states?

I'd also consider asking the AD to meet me around that price and just ship it to me since I technically live outside of NY state, right over the border in PA. Is anyone familiar with that practice, or whether that sort of discount (~10%) is reasonable to ask?

I know Rolex is a special beast when it comes to discounting with ADs and all that and should it end up being a real hassle I might just end up buying off of DavidSW anyways. Just thought it'd be cool to have my name on the warranty card for an extra couple hundred US in the event I live long enough to have the opportunity to pass it down to a son.

I apologize for the massive first post, and look forward to following up with something more exciting - pictures of my EXPII.

Thanks all,
Kevin

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
ADifferentPhilosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
You could try a 2ndary market purchase. Canada watch collector is a good place to start.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 12:43 PM   #3
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
I would suggest buying stateside. Unless you know where to look (the smaller towns), you're going to be hard-pressed to get a significant discount on most SS models although I have never asked for pricing on the ExII...
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Exp II are pillowy soft in terms of price preowned.

Nice and crisp ones are available for under $6k easily.

Don't buy this reference at retail.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 03:16 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I was able to find a black dial exp II for 20% off in canada last year. That said it's a slow mover all around so might be easier to negotiate with your NY AD and ship home. I only have a 2 hour drive.

That said, DavidSW or AKATakuya could source the watch for you with your name on the card if you wish.

I would start with your NY AD. If they can't meet your needs consider Thanh or David and if that doesn't work Drive 4 hours to Canada.
Old 11 July 2017, 03:17 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Exp II are pillowy soft in terms of price preowned.

Nice and crisp ones are available for under $6k easily.

Don't buy this reference at retail.
Very true. I should have kept mine. I got 5500 on the trade and it was mint and only a few months old.
Old 11 July 2017, 08:59 PM   #7
pol3259
"TRF" Member

There's a polar Exp II on Canwatchco for $7200 ($5573 USD) in mint condition. I'm envious of our friends south of the border who can take advantage of the dollar situation.
pol3259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 09:21 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

Seems like going preowned trusted seller in the US is the best way to go, and you avoid any customs issues.

Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 09:57 PM   #9
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I'm from upstate New York. I bought a SD4K in Canada. The rate at the time was 1/1.35. I got 15% off and the watch wasn't in stock; they had to special order. This was in Niagra Falls. The people at the AD were fantastic. Personally if the time comes for me to buy again I will try there first. If that fails I'd probably go the TS route.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote