The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 30 August 2017, 11:05 PM   #1
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Do you have a Colour?

Short Version; Do you have a colour of ink you prefer using. If so, what is it and why?

Longer version; Years ago I was listening to a documentary on MI6 (a tangent from my love of all things Bond). It turns out the organisation's founder Sir Mansfield Cumming used to write in emerald green ink and sign himself "C" (in a similar way Admiral Miles Messervey signed himself "M" in the Bond books). During the documentary, the current head was interviewed. He said that the tradition of using green ink and signing off as C has remained throughout the history of the organisation to give a sense of heritage. To this day, receiving a note or memo in green ink carries particular weight.

A bit of a wiki-hole later and I found out that in years gone by, the British military tied ink colours to rank. This allowed the level to which a document had been seen, read and signed off to be determined at a glance by looking at ink colours. While I was unable to find out the exact colours and levels, it seems that this practice was stopped some time before Cumming (also a Royal Navy Captain) founded MI6 but he, like many other military officers, chose to write in a specific colour out of a regard for tradition and mild eccentricity.

This appealed to my own eccentric streak. I liked the idea of going for a colour other than blue, black or blue-black. Nothing I ever write at work goes in front of clients and I liked the idea of something a bit different for personal correspondence.

Choosing the colour was a tricky part. Red... too much of a teacher complex, green... too much like I'm copying MI6/Bond, puple... too many associations with shrill letters to the tabloids. Eventually I found the Diamine website and the impressive spectrum of colours there. After trying a few, I've settled on their green-black ink. It's dark and looks formal in a work setting but has a lovely deep green colour when it catches the light the right way. It livens up even the most mundane of documents being worked on.

Hope the random rambling has been an agreeable diversion.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:07 AM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Ah, The Morris Garage British Racing Green. An amazing color. Safety Fast. And it is under the parcel shelf.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:51 AM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
That's really interesting. I had no idea they did such a thing. I like it! Unfortunately I don't have a signature color. I'm still in the phase of trying to match my inks to the color of the pen whenever possible. I can't use a light green or red at work but I have been able to sneak a little J Herbin Emerald of Chivor under the radar now and then. If I had to pick a signature color though, I think it would be a blue of sorts. Maybe a highly saturated turquoise if that was possible. I'm tempted to leave out a sample of Iroshizuku Ama-iro and see if I can evaporate it a little. It has a light edge to the ink on paper with a wet nib that I like. Wouldn't mind making that a little more pronounced.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 02:46 AM   #4
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
That's really interesting. I had no idea they did such a thing. I like it! Unfortunately I don't have a signature color. I'm still in the phase of trying to match my inks to the color of the pen whenever possible. I can't use a light green or red at work but I have been able to sneak a little J Herbin Emerald of Chivor under the radar now and then. If I had to pick a signature color though, I think it would be a blue of sorts. Maybe a highly saturated turquoise if that was possible. I'm tempted to leave out a sample of Iroshizuku Ama-iro and see if I can evaporate it a little. It has a light edge to the ink on paper with a wet nib that I like. Wouldn't mind making that a little more pronounced.
As I say, the custom has long died out which I think is a real shame. I do know that even now, recruits to the army training academy are told in no uncertain terms that they are required to bring a fountain pen (sadly only with black ink) and I believe serving officers are still required to write certain items of official correspondence in FP (leading to one friend of mind sending a plea for someone to send him out a pen while he was deployed as he had broken his).

I like your idea of modifying inks. I'm still at the stage of going with what's available off the shelf and TBH I'm not sure what shade I would aim for. I know my dad mixes his own blue-black but that is mainly to avoid the fade that most of the ones available show.
Old 1 September 2017, 07:56 AM   #5
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I think I may have to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I am funny with inks. My favorite cycles with my mood and if I am using a demonstrator then I consider what will look best with the pen.

If I had to choose a favorite for this month it would probably be the Lamy Petrol. I am also "collecting" it seems a few of the Akkerman inks. I especially like the Kardanaal Paars. I love the bottles, but the inks in them are especially nice. Especially the Dutch Masters.

I also like the Montblanc Toffee Brown. It is a great color and shading is lovely, but it is by far the most saturated / wet ink I have ever used from any maker. I have it in my Montblanc Agatha Vermeil with a medium nib and it bleeds through everything! I may have to save it for my fine and extra fine nibs.

Akkerman inks.

Montblanc Toffee Brown.

Lamy Petrol.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 05:04 PM   #7
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Used to go for Parker Quink green, when freed from constraints of boring Blue or Black.

Then came along Dark Lilac and Petrol, they've taken over Quink green duties now.

Had to do some doodling on a birthday card yesterday... inked fleet on desk is over 25 again. plus similar number in the needs-washing bucket. I need to do a washday soon
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 04:45 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Correction. In my post above I defined the Pacific sample as Petrol. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 6 September 2017, 09:16 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
Short Version; Do you have a colour of ink you prefer using. If so, what is it and why?

Longer version; Years ago I was listening to a documentary on MI6 (a tangent from my love of all things Bond). It turns out the organisation's founder Sir Mansfield Cumming used to write in emerald green ink and sign himself "C" (in a similar way Admiral Miles Messervey signed himself "M" in the Bond books). During the documentary, the current head was interviewed. He said that the tradition of using green ink and signing off as C has remained throughout the history of the organisation to give a sense of heritage. To this day, receiving a note or memo in green ink carries particular weight.

A bit of a wiki-hole later and I found out that in years gone by, the British military tied ink colours to rank. This allowed the level to which a document had been seen, read and signed off to be determined at a glance by looking at ink colours. While I was unable to find out the exact colours and levels, it seems that this practice was stopped some time before Cumming (also a Royal Navy Captain) founded MI6 but he, like many other military officers, chose to write in a specific colour out of a regard for tradition and mild eccentricity.

This appealed to my own eccentric streak. I liked the idea of going for a colour other than blue, black or blue-black. Nothing I ever write at work goes in front of clients and I liked the idea of something a bit different for personal correspondence.

Choosing the colour was a tricky part. Red... too much of a teacher complex, green... too much like I'm copying MI6/Bond, puple... too many associations with shrill letters to the tabloids. Eventually I found the Diamine website and the impressive spectrum of colours there. After trying a few, I've settled on their green-black ink. It's dark and looks formal in a work setting but has a lovely deep green colour when it catches the light the right way. It livens up even the most mundane of documents being worked on.

Hope the random rambling has been an agreeable diversion.
You might want to look into a newer ink that I stumbled on to.

Organic Studios Walden

https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/i...lden?rq=walden

It's a shimmering ink in green with a red base. And it really changes with the nib and paper width you choose so it is very versatile. I am going to pick up a bottle as soon as I can find some. Most are out of stock.

Old 6 September 2017, 06:36 PM   #10
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
You might want to look into a newer ink that I stumbled on to.

Organic Studios Walden

https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/i...lden?rq=walden

It's a shimmering ink in green with a red base. And it really changes with the nib and paper width you choose so it is very versatile. I am going to pick up a bottle as soon as I can find some. Most are out of stock.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks really cool although slightly mind-bending in the way it changes colour. I can sense a bottle of that will be making it's way into my study before too long.