The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 August 2017, 02:52 AM   #31
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Understand the frustration, but life's too short.

Move on, wear and enjoy the watch if you can.

A free service, it's looks great. One light polish will not affect it worth $$.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 02:58 AM   #32
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Always irritating that they would do something you specifically asked not to be done but again the compensation seems fair .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:03 AM   #33
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Man it is a beauty and free of charge I would be upset also at first but all is well watch looks great and free you really just need to move on. Only recourse i can see now is sell the watch and start over by buying a new one. Good luck!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:03 AM   #34
Melchizedek
"TRF" Member

TL;DR

Nothing to complain about.... yawn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:14 AM   #35
OgSnowflake
Banned

Sell it, they completely ruined the watch, look how much metal they took off your lugs those things look like vampire teeth. I'd have your attorney draft a letter and include detailed pics and tell them that you want 3x compensation for your service that was free and every gmt in the lineup new delivered to your residence by Monday or you're gonna hault production of every Rolex worldwide.

Take a couple deep breaths it's prob the best polish job that's been posted on here in 6 weeks.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:18 AM   #36
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Understand the frustration, but life's too short.

Move on, wear and enjoy the watch if you can.

A free service, it's looks great. One light polish will not affect it worth $$.
At a complete tangent, I just spotted your member name here, and yesterday I spotted this...

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/sub...-id6085423.htm

You like?

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:25 AM   #37
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurizzle View Post
Timeline of events:

June 13: I dropped off BLNR at my at AD with instructions to replace underpowered mag and for them to look into the movement which was running outside of COSC at +7s/day. I specified that text message or phone call was the preferred method of contact. They confirmed and advised me they would be in touch in about 2-3 wks with a confirmation of the work to be completed after RTSC NY looked at it.
July 14 I wrote an email requesting followup as a month had passed without any contact or estimate of work to be completed.
July 19 AD replied that RSC recommends a full service to fix the +7s and although watch is under warranty, the repair would not be covered because they found a small dent on the case. Due to impact damage, which is not covered, the full service cost would be appx $700 USD. I objected and they conceded that because the watch is under warranty they would adjust the cost down to $490. Agreed. Again I specified the watch was not to be polished.
August 19 AD emailed me that watch was ready for pickup. (No text or phone call was received as requested),. As a result the watch sat at the boutique over a week until I noticed the email.
August 28 I picked up the watch.
Maybe I missed it, did you specifically ask them not to polish the watch? I didn't see that in your timeline. I get why you'd be upset either way, but it's not really their fault if they gave the watch a real light polish. My guess is that 75% of their customers would not only be satisfied with a light polish, but would expect it.

However, charging you for the service because of a dent seems crazy to me. Do you have any before pictures of this dent? Either way if your watch is running within spec, the mag is fixed and you didn't have to pay a dime, I would chalk this up as an inconvenience and bad experience, but nothing else. Your watch looks fantastic.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:30 AM   #38
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I assume they've sorted the dent and serviced the watch? That being the case, I'd let it go. A light polish should make it look like new near enough and you can go another 5-10 years of free wear.

I assume Rolex view would be that approx 700 bucks of work was pretty good compensation for what was a light polish by all accounts.

Pain in the proverbial, but you've come out ahead in my book.....

Edit - your watch looks great btw.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:32 AM   #39
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
If it was vintage I could see and issue, but in this case a light polish makes a two year old watch look like a two day old watch. I'd be OK with it in this case with the watch.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:33 AM   #40
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Wouldn't bother me but if it bothers you this much, you should sell it and buy a new one. It's still a very sought after watch. You can sell for a good price.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:33 AM   #41
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
It's stories like this that convinced me to ship my 16710 to Dallas (I'm in NJ) instead of NYC. Heck, I could have taken the train into the city and hand delivered the watch to the RSC on 5th Ave. Instead I shipped it to Dallas. The minor hassle of shipping is worth the relative peace of mind derived from avoiding NYC's Rolex service. No matter who actually screwed up, the RSC in New York is always in the center of the mess.

My thoughts exactly.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:36 AM   #42
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
? You think they took that much metal off the clasp that he said he noticed ?? I bet it's a more mental thing, for lack of a better word
Don't want to bitch around but it does look like the crown on the clasp is flatter. Could be the picture and angle, but i would be disappointing also.

BUT, the job has been nicely done imho. I know you miss some metal, but it is a time piece of which you can be proud of to wear.

So enjoy
Old 31 August 2017, 03:41 AM   #43
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

this isn't some vintage, historic michael jordan newman super bowl trophy lifting rolex. get over it. enjoy.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:46 AM   #44
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Watch looks great.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:50 AM   #45
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
One thing I learned, leave the AD out of it. It's simple enough to mail the watch yourself. One less entity to screw up.

For what it's worth, the watch looks great.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:54 AM   #46
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
At a complete tangent, I just spotted your member name here, and yesterday I spotted this...

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/sub...-id6085423.htm

You like?

WTF, is this real? I don't believe Rolex would make this. Looks pretty fake to me.

But ok...lets not hijack this topic
Old 31 August 2017, 03:54 AM   #47
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
OP,
I have my nearly new BLNR on today and looking at your pics and comparing to mine, I can't really see the noticeable difference that you might be referring to.

I really think it is more in your head than the watch. Sure it is slightly polished and bit softer around the edges, but a noticeable difference in weight is probably all in your head.

Listen, we (all of us) need to get used to the fact that mistakes happen. If those mistakes are not life threatening on a surgery table, need to let it go.

I think Rolex has done a good job there with the light polishing, and you got a free service. Enjoy your beautiful watch.

Here is a pic of my nearly new clasp crown on the left, and your picture to the right of it:

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:58 AM   #48
machob55
"TRF" Member

They should of listened! But, the watch with a total full service and polish to boot, free of charge, simply looks amazing! I love that showroom new look.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:58 AM   #49
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
I would sell it personally and buy a new one because i dont like polishing any watches never have never will i like the scratches.i also like the original sharp lines and original brush etc etc.good luck either way op
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:58 AM   #50
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry to hear that the AD went against your expressed wishes and polished the watch, for me another example of why I just wait and hand deliver my watches directly to RSC in LA whenever I'm in town as my only way to service my Rolex watches.

It's good to hear you got a full refund/free service at least, and the polish does not look that noticeable. At least with my experience with RSC - their polishes that come with service are extremely conservative (not sure about your AD).

I can understand if it bugs you that they did this, I second the notion of selling it for a different watch if it bothers you that much (BLNR off fresh warranty service should be easy to sell).
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:05 AM   #51
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is the equivalent, IMO, of asking the car dealer to not run your car through the car wash and having them do it by accident anyway. Which has happened to me. In 35+ years of owning nice cars, I have never once brought my car to a car wash. But I got over it when the dealer did it.

Rolex SC paid you $490 to lightly polish your $8000 two year old watch. It stinks that they didn't follow your request, but if you let this and other things of this magnitude bother you, it's gonna be a rough life. IMO. And if you could feel the lower weight of a watch that has received one light polish? Damn, I'd be impressed. And willing to bet big money that you would fail a blind taste test.

They fixed your watch. They apologized. They refunded $500. Time to forgive.
Old 31 August 2017, 04:08 AM   #52
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Here is a pic of my nearly new clasp crown on the left, and your picture to the right of it:

Still looks flatter imo. It would hurt me also.
Old 31 August 2017, 04:11 AM   #53
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

OP,
As others have said, your watch looks great and you need to enjoy it.
One thing I'm not sure you clarified. Did the AD fail to give written instructions to RSC NOT TO POLISH or was it RSC ignoring the instructions?
Old 31 August 2017, 04:12 AM   #54
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
It's a BLNR and not a first year Sub. The only real loss is the scratches. Sorry it was correctly done against your will. Maybe you can find someone with a scratched up one and trade.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:15 AM   #55
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Tell them you want a Daytona within 3 months and flip it.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:32 AM   #56
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
They simply gave it a light polish ! They did not destroy the watch and its not a rare vintage that's already been polished 6 or 7 times over its lifetime.
And most vintage watches looks like bars of soap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Too much hysteria about this polishing issue.
The same polishing that knocks down scratches knocks off sharp edges. If you think it makes the watch look better, then you're admitting the change is noticeable.

Let's not dismiss owners who notice it, too, and preferred it the other way.
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:37 AM   #57
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
RSC polished watch against instruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbar View Post
And most vintage watches looks like bars of soap.

The same polishing that knocks down scratches knocks off sharp edges. If you think it makes the watch look better, then you're admitting the change is noticeable.

Let's not dismiss owners who notice it, too, and preferred it the other way.

I'm not dismissing it but simply putting it in context. Also I was not responding to the op bug to David UK.

Old 31 August 2017, 04:45 AM   #58
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
However, charging you for the service because of a dent seems crazy to me. Do you have any before pictures of this dent? Either way if your watch is running within spec, the mag is fixed and you didn't have to pay a dime, I would chalk this up as an inconvenience and bad experience, but nothing else. Your watch looks fantastic.
My thoughts exactly. Plus the need for a full service after not even 2 years. The light polish work seems perfectly done.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 05:36 AM   #59
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
While I'd be upset that my wishes weren't followed I think that they did a pretty good job, I'd fume over it for a bit then would move on.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 05:54 AM   #60
Xerxes77
Banned

Many times this AD not due correct things!
Unfortunately now you don't have to do much things!
Also I think you don't have to pay nothing....
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error , issues