The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 August 2017, 06:03 AM   #61
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I definitely would be upset too but at this point, you basically got a $500 free service so I think I'd just call it quits and be happy.

If it really bothers you that much maybe look into flipping for a new one? I've heard stories of people trading older Sub and GMTs in and only paying a few hundred to get into a new one.

Either way the watch is still beautiful!
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:08 AM   #62
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
I would also be thinking why are they doing a full service on a 2 year old watch?
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:10 AM   #63
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina1801 View Post
I definitely would be upset too but at this point, you basically got a $500 free service so I think I'd just call it quits and be happy.

If it really bothers you that much maybe look into flipping for a new one? I've heard stories of people trading older Sub and GMTs in and only paying a few hundred to get into a new one.

Either way the watch is still beautiful!
Or sell it and buy a used unpolished one. Costs less, and already has a few scratches!!! Bonus!
Old 31 August 2017, 06:12 AM   #64
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
In 6-months your watch will look as good as it did prior to the polish. You got an overhaul for free. And there were some mistakes made along the way. Although it didn't meet your expectations, maybe just move on from this experience and call it a day.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:14 AM   #65
josephvman
Banned

I love the way some of you guys get wound up over the cyclops magnification issue. Wouldn't it be hysterical in thirty years if the collectible models will be the ones with the small mag cyclops, like the cream dial 16550's are today!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:21 AM   #66
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Hmmm... I take my car for a service and they strip the paint off it. BUT... they don't charge me - Hooray!!

But you're probably right. You never know what cranky judge you'll get AND it's dozens of hours out of your life!

Take it up the tailpipe OP!
Its a modern watch not a vintage with one Rolex Service light polish. Are you trying to wind up the OP and make him miserable?
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:23 AM   #67
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
I'd chalk it up to a screw up, and leave it at that. Put some more scratches on the watch and move on is what I'd recommend.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:23 AM   #68
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This is very easy to resolve...

Sell the watch and either get a brand new one, ordered in for you and untouched by anyone but you...or move on from the brand.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:26 AM   #69
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

The simplest way to feel better about this debacle is to sell your now immaculate , extra warranted watch and buy a brand new one and start again.
That's what I would do. Blnrs sell fast and high so you won't be out that much and it sounds like it'd be worth it to you.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:46 AM   #70
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

It would equally bother me, however, make a plan, to not to polish watch during its next maintenance cycle and that way you are back on track. What I do not understand is sending a watch though AD. Why not send it directly. This apply to any goods. Either way, watch looks like brand new, do not worry anymore.
polaris72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:48 AM   #71
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
That's it I would throw the watch in the bin box and all after I smashed it up with my 3Lb ballpane on the road outside of my house.
It's absolutely ruined now and will never ever be the same again.

I'm shattered

Or alternately I could get a teaspoon of concrete and harden up a bit and chalk it up to life experience.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:55 AM   #72
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post
I would also be thinking why are they doing a full service on a 2 year old watch?
To simply ensure the period to the next service is at a reasonable timeframe.
Imagine the hoo ha over the watch if it gets to the 5 year old mark and requires a service to make it run properly or for that matter run at all?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 07:56 AM   #73
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
At least it was a quality polish job. Even though you're correct in the watch having less steel than before; but I believe your perception of the difference in feel maaay be psychosomatic under the circumstances. Sucks when someone providing assistance doesn't actually listen to all of your concerns; but maybe you'll get that hat you're after. I would demand all available Rolex tchotchkes the AD has

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 08:09 AM   #74
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

There were no before and after pics so I can't really comment on what your watch has become or not.

However I can tell against an unpolished example that in your pictures the case appears to have soft but subtle chamfer on the outer edges. The clasp edge near the base of the crown is rounded off and the edge dips towards it from both sides. Also the left section from the polished centre link of the clasp is not brushed straight. Whoever polished and brushed it didn't apply enough TLC.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 08:28 AM   #75
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

OP look if it really bothers you sell it and start again. Take your time to digest all these opinions. Food for thought, each time your watch is marked and it will get marked or god forbid damaged that will need a repair are you going to the trouble of selling it and starting again? All the time, effort, anguish and money lost will make you miserable. You could end up starting again and again over the years. I suggest you enjoy your watch that can last a lifetime. It will pick up battle scars along the way though. Show me anything in this life that does not get worn or marked. (within reason) Or are you going to be like these perfectionist aficionado types?
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 08:37 AM   #76
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurizzle View Post
July 19 AD replied that RSC recommends a full service to fix the +7s and although watch is under warranty, the repair would not be covered because they found a small dent on the case. Due to impact damage, which is not covered, the full service cost would be appx $700 USD. I objected and they conceded that because the watch is under warranty they would adjust the cost down to $490. Agreed. Again I specified the watch was not to be polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Maybe I missed it, did you specifically ask them not to polish the watch? I didn't see that in your timeline. I get why you'd be upset either way, but it's not really their fault if they gave the watch a real light polish. My guess is that 75% of their customers would not only be satisfied with a light polish, but would expect it.

However, charging you for the service because of a dent seems crazy to me. Do you have any before pictures of this dent? Either way if your watch is running within spec, the mag is fixed and you didn't have to pay a dime, I would chalk this up as an inconvenience and bad experience, but nothing else. Your watch looks fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
OP,
As others have said, your watch looks great and you need to enjoy it.
One thing I'm not sure you clarified. Did the AD fail to give written instructions to RSC NOT TO POLISH or was it RSC ignoring the instructions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post

OP,
Is the 'dent' you specify still there, or has it been polished out? It must have been something significant to basically ruin the 5 year warranty and make Rolex want to charge you for a service, no?

Or perhaps others with more experience can chime in on how Rolex considers warranty void if a ding appears on a watch.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 08:53 AM   #77
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Firstly, I wouldn't have a watch overhauled for +/-7 seconds. I wouldn't even bother but the regulating procedure is very simple and isn't worth anything like the amount these people were attempting to rob you of. Impact damage, really.

Second, presumably the watch now runs within COSC and the mag is fixed? And it's had a full service, oiling, gasket and crown tube replacement as is standard? And what looks to be a professional light polish done by Rolex? All of which has cost you nothing? .. That you had them do because the watch was a teeny weeny bit fast?? I'd say they're looking after you sir. The initial price is where I would have lost it.

Lastly, if you're concerned about unnecessarily removed steel, and it sounds like you are. Look at the balls on the clasp coronet - they look very spherical to me. Virtually nothing has been removed. I'd hazard a guess that Rolex doesn't actually count the passes on the buffing wheel when a watch is made and that they leave the facctory initially with varying microns of steel removed all the time. In short you have a Brand New watch after wearing it for 2 years with bad mag. I'd be pretty pleased with myself if I were you.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 09:38 AM   #78
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
What's the big deal? Service and polish for free. Not a vintage model so don't understand how it could affect value? I be grateful to get the watch back working and looking like new. Ironically, this same service center actually added scratches to my GMT earlier this year!! The bigger issue is they don't follow instructions and the AD giving you false info.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 09:51 AM   #79
magnetized
"TRF" Member

Watch: aHolic
2 yr old blnr, i should have just left that 7 sec a day..is 1 sec gonna hurt you..looks like the crown guard has been polished. My blnr crown guard is diff than yours..
magnetized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 11:20 AM   #80
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
One reason Rolex went with the maxi case was so the watch could handle more polishes than the 5 digit models. You would have to really over polish a 116710 to even know it has been done.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 11:39 AM   #81
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Unless they held it on a polishing wheel for a loooong time, you wouldn't be able to feel "a little less crown" on the clasp with one polish. Is this thread a joke? You got a free service and polish...next time give it to an independent.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:18 PM   #82
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
You have no recourse. Next time cut the middle man outand send it directly to rsc yourself with instructions. Lesson learned.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:21 PM   #83
3ther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
OP,
Is the 'dent' you specify still there, or has it been polished out? It must have been something significant to basically ruin the 5 year warranty and make Rolex want to charge you for a service, no?

Or perhaps others with more experience can chime in on how Rolex considers warranty void if a ding appears on a watch.

Warranties aren't void with impact damage, but said damage isn't covered by the warranty. Rolex often chooses to drop the full fee of a full service as a courtesy. You may not see the impact damage from the exterior, but the movement will show signs, most likely in the form of a jewel that has become dislodged. You'll still have the original factory warranty covering it upon its return.

Further, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise in the initial service writeup, full refinishing/polish is included with the service. Rolex will also touch up a case if the watch is a couple months old-- again, unless the contrary is stated.
3ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:29 PM   #84
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I think it will be a long tireless battle to get more than you've already received for compensation. I feel your pain and I'd feel the same. BUT... you still have a freaking awesome watch. Enjoy it and move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 August 2017, 01:30 PM   #85
3ther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I think it will be a long tireless battle to get more than you've already received for compensation. I feel your pain and I'd feel the same. BUT... you still have a freaking awesome watch. Enjoy it and move on!

Forgot to mention where I stood overall-- what he said ^^

🤙🤙
Old 31 August 2017, 01:34 PM   #86
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
The watch isn't worth any less, it's like a brand new watch and it's cost you nothing....just wear it...I'm sure you'll manage to gain some more scratches as time goes on....or you could sell it....personally I'd just wear it knowing it's not due for a service for an extra 2 years
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:55 PM   #87
snyde
"TRF" Member

I also had a terrible experience going through Dallas RSC. It took me just about 2 months to receive my watch back. I live in Austin,TX and after I paid for shipping it took them 2.5 weeks to send me my watch back unserrviced.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:25 PM   #88
3ther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyde View Post
I also had a terrible experience going through Dallas RSC. It took me just about 2 months to receive my watch back. I live in Austin,TX and after I paid for shipping it took them 2.5 weeks to send me my watch back unserrviced.

It didn't happen to be around feb-march or so did it?
Old 31 August 2017, 03:58 PM   #89
arguetaoscar
"TRF" Member

Looks good, free service for you, and lesson learned for the AD to better listen to their customers and their requests. In the end, win-win

arguetaoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:01 PM   #90
sager
"TRF" Member

Just wear it and enjoy it or, as many mentioned here, sell it and get a new one.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error , issues