The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Cellini Owners? How’d you buy one...

I’m wondering the Cellini doesn’t get or garner more popularity. I rarely (ever, actually) have seen this watch worn outside an AD, but I’m thinking of getting a white gold model with of course leather strap. I find the watch stunning and am weighing this against a predictable pre worn 2007 callatrava from Patek. The Cellini to me is a nicer watch without the repair Patek worries of having a 2007 timepiece.

I’m curious to know if any owners can weigh in on their decision making process, or did you just say, “it’s nice. I wat it. It’s a Rolex with great reliability... “because that’s where I’m at right now. I like the watch. I don’t LOVE it. I LOVE the Lange sohn saxonia, but am smart enough to know resale on that will be a lot worse than Rolex. I also have no Lange AD by me. With Rolex I trust the name, the AD, the resale, and the conservative nature of Rolex not to release ridiculous amounts of reissues or special editions (audemars, Panerai, etc). I own a deep blue, explorer vintage, submariner and need a dress watch.

For me, it’s between a date just pre worn or a new Cellini. With pre worn, I’ve warranty concerns. I’m just wondering why the Cellini doesn’t get more talk or love.. thanks
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 02:24 AM   #2
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
It's what Obama wears I think because it's not a sports watch it gets less attention on these forums.
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 02:56 AM   #3
Phong
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
I like my Cellini a lot, but mostly I wear my sports models because of their versatility. The Cellini comes out for suits and tuxedos. But those occasions are rarer in today's way of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cellini Danaos WG
Phong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 03:01 AM   #4
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metdrdg View Post
It's what Obama wears I think because it's not a sports watch it gets less attention on these forums.
I have to pay for mine, though.. with my own money..
Old 10 October 2017, 03:02 AM   #5
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phong View Post
I like my Cellini a lot, but mostly I wear my sports models because of their versatility. The Cellini comes out for suits and tuxedos. But those occasions are rarer in today's way of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s gorgeous
Old 10 October 2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
nice.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 03:04 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
I have to pay for mine, though.. with my own money..
^^^this guy arrived^^^

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 03:40 AM   #8
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I like the Cellini line. However, You’ve mentioned resale as a plus. I’m probably the furthest thing from a Cellini expert you’ll find on the forum but I’m not sure the resale value of Cellini is the same as Rolex’s sport models. I could be wrong. Are you sure Lange can’t hold it own against Cellini in resale?
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 04:33 AM   #9
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
I like the Cellini line. However, You’ve mentioned resale as a plus. I’m probably the furthest thing from a Cellini expert you’ll find on the forum but I’m not sure the resale value of Cellini is the same as Rolex’s sport models. I could be wrong. Are you sure Lange can’t hold it own against Cellini in resale?
Are you guys kidding me on the resale ? On my local eBay market right now, a Seller has actually listed a genuine pre owned Obama Cellini 18k WG Ref 50509 Serial No 7V7V*** condition 9.9/10 purchase date 31th March 2015 from Wempe , Frankfurt for USD 89xx, that's a 41% depreciation in value ! And there's still room for bargaining so what positives on the resale is everyone talking about?
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 04:38 AM   #10
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Are you guys kidding me on the resale ? On my local eBay market right now, a Seller has actually listed a genuine pre owned Obama Cellini 18k WG Ref 50509 Serial No 7V7V*** condition 9.9/10 purchase date 31th March 2015 from Wempe , Frankfurt for USD 89xx, that's a 41% depreciation in value ! And there's still room for bargaining so what positives on the resale is everyone talking about?
I wasn’t aware of the poor resale of Cellini. I love that model in the pic. I know the resale of the Cellini won’t compare to a sub. I also know many have not heard of Lange ... most peo9,e that casually peruse watches I mnean. And I can’t find an AD for Lange writhing 400 miles.. another challenge.
Old 10 October 2017, 04:48 AM   #11
111forza
"TRF" Member

Love mine

The Cellini line is very underrated imho
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 05:03 AM   #12
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
I’m pretty sure that was the point I was making. Next time I’ll start out with “are you kidding” instead of “I’m no expert” that way it will be really clear.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 08:22 AM   #13
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
I’m pretty sure that was the point I was making. Next time I’ll start out with “are you kidding” instead of “I’m no expert” that way it will be really clear.
No one is an expert. My opinion is the Cellini is under the radar, a gem, and will be sought after for resale within 20 years. I’m getting one. Lol. But I’m NOT getting one off eBay. I’ve asked my AD to find the “obama” model . I adore every Cellini picture above thus far. Thanks for the opinions. I’m just hoping obama has no endorsement with this model. I’d feel the same way about trump, Clinton, bush, or Geddy Lee. No celebrity endorsements. Except my deep blue. Cameron is ok.

Last edited by blah114; 10 October 2017 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Underwear
Old 10 October 2017, 08:29 AM   #14
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111forza View Post
Love mine

The Cellini line is very underrated imho
I love this one too. The strap is interesting, reminds me of Panerai. I mean this as praise. I like Panerai straps.
Old 10 October 2017, 08:31 AM   #15
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I tried on a Prince in rose gold a few years ago during a visit to an AD in Las Vegas. Really a nice watch but not something on my radar. If I had the funds to buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, I would have one for sure though.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 03:48 PM   #16
broulstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP II, DJ,PP5066
Mine is gold but love it for dress occasions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11 October 2017, 03:24 PM   #17
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
A nearby AD has a blue dial Cellini Date in the window...it is a gorgeous piece
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 03:30 PM   #18
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Megan, any PM Rolex will see a huge depreciation in resale be it Cellini or Submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 03:35 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Call me guilty; no real desire for a Cellini. Too fragile looking.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 03:39 PM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m wondering the Cellini doesn’t get or garner more popularity. I rarely (ever, actually) have seen this watch worn outside an AD, but I’m thinking of getting a white gold model with of course leather strap. I find the watch stunning and am weighing this against a predictable pre worn 2007 callatrava from Patek. The Cellini to me is a nicer watch without the repair Patek worries of having a 2007 timepiece.

I’m curious to know if any owners can weigh in on their decision making process, or did you just say, “it’s nice. I wat it. It’s a Rolex with great reliability... “because that’s where I’m at right now. I like the watch. I don’t LOVE it. I LOVE the Lange sohn saxonia, but am smart enough to know resale on that will be a lot worse than Rolex. I also have no Lange AD by me. With Rolex I trust the name, the AD, the resale, and the conservative nature of Rolex not to release ridiculous amounts of reissues or special editions (audemars, Panerai, etc). I own a deep blue, explorer vintage, submariner and need a dress watch.

For me, it’s between a date just pre worn or a new Cellini. With pre worn, I’ve warranty concerns. I’m just wondering why the Cellini doesn’t get more talk or love.. thanks
Always get what you love - get the Lange.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 06:38 PM   #21
KenNethcole
"TRF" Member

To many good options for a dressy watch in roughly the same price range as the cellini that is why people don’t buy them. I do like how the cellini line look now but I would sooner pick something up from Patek or JLC.
KenNethcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 11:03 PM   #22
gccmd
"TRF" Member

If you want a dress watch and future resale value is something that is important to you I would go with Patek.
gccmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 03:13 AM   #23
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
The Cellini was the first Rolex that I bought. It is simple in style and elegant and classy to wear. It is my go to watch when I dress up in a suit and tie. Those locations are rare as a previous poster has stated. Cellini’s gather is very little love around here and everybody offers a different reason why. I pay no attention to that nor do I pay attention to which resell value as it will be one of the watches that I pass on to my three sons.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:50 PM   #24
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNethcole View Post
To many good options for a dressy watch in roughly the same price range as the cellini that is why people don’t buy them. I do like how the cellini line look now but I would sooner pick something up from Patek or JLC.
Thanks for ALL the replies.

Which jLC interests you? The geophysic is quite nice. The master control is beautiful too. I have a reverso which I like much. The finishing touches on it belie a piece that should be far higher in price, preworn.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:52 PM   #25
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
The Cellini was the first Rolex that I bought. It is simple in style and elegant and classy to wear. It is my go to watch when I dress up in a suit and tie. Those locations are rare as a previous poster has stated. Cellini’s gather is very little love around here and everybody offers a different reason why. I pay no attention to that nor do I pay attention to which resell value as it will be one of the watches that I pass on to my three sons.
Thanks. I’m sure you’ll wear your rolexes in good health and hope the time is quite far where you must pass watches onward. I would likely wear a dress watch casually. That’s just how I am. I wear a Vacheron historique with shorts all the time. My issue is while stunning, the watch is 33mm which is a bit small on my wrist.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:55 PM   #26
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccmd View Post
If you want a dress watch and future resale value is something that is important to you I would go with Patek.
That’s what I’m thinking. My heart lies with the saxonia from Lange, though. I’ve only seen one such piece in the “real world...”.. they’re extremely rare compared to Rolex and Patek in my area. There is only one AD for patek in my area and no Lange within 600 miles.. maybe 1000.
Old 16 October 2017, 12:26 AM   #27
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
That’s what I’m thinking. My heart lies with the saxonia from Lange, though. I’ve only seen one such piece in the “real world...”.. they’re extremely rare compared to Rolex and Patek in my area. There is only one AD for patek in my area and no Lange within 600 miles.. maybe 1000.
You've mentioned multiples times that you love the Saxonia. There are a couple on forums now for under 12 grand. The AD experience is great if you want to peruse and try on a few models, but if you already know you love the Saxonia, why not scoop up a used one online?
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:29 AM   #28
blah114
Banned

I’ve decided against the Cellini. Not that anyone should care. The resale is a factor and if I get a “dress watch” it will be a patrimony or Calatrava.. prworn. Frankly, my reverso is already a dress watch. I still think the Cellini is beautiful. I just can’t own everything, though!
Old 22 October 2017, 12:33 AM   #29
gccmd
"TRF" Member

Take a look at the Patek 5196g. Its a classic watch that will always be in style.
gccmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:33 AM   #30
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
You've mentioned multiples times that you love the Saxonia. There are a couple on forums now for under 12 grand. The AD experience is great if you want to peruse and try on a few models, but if you already know you love the Saxonia, why not scoop up a used one online?
I agree, but for that pricing, I need to try one on. Now, if someone would let me try one on, then I could send it back, I’d do that! With 12k cc authorization. I’ll ask if a dealer if he or she can do that. .. in pre worn only. Beyond that, I think the depreciation scares me for Lange. The one guy selling A. Lange on here I trust is a guy selling a rose gold patek. I might see if can send him my 2 tone sub as a deposit for “trying” the Lange . My sub is in amazing condition. The blue dial 2014model, bought new. If I sell the sub, my wife would kill me. It’s her fav watch when I wear it.