The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 October 2017, 11:43 AM   #1
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Newbie questions regarding Rolex servicing

Disclaimer: I apologize in advance if these questions are too elementary, forgive the newbie

For some background to add context -- In the near future I'm hoping to purchase a 14060M 2-liner as my daily wearer. Depending on the service history of the watch I end up getting, the plan would be to pretty quickly send the watch in for a full service. Ideally I'd like to get maintenance done on the movement to ensure accuracy, if possible have the watch polished to look like new, and to get the bracelet tightened up if necessary. From reading this forum I think the polishing might be sacrilegious to some, but the idea of this watch is to one day give it to my son when he's old enough. So the point behind getting it polished/brushed would be to get a clean slate so that my son and I can give it all of its "character marks".

With that said, I do have a few questions about servicing if y'all don't mind.

1) Is a RSC the best place to do this? Or should I go with an independent?
2) I live in Dallas and there is a RSC here. Can I hand deliver the watch to them, or do they require it to be shipped as part of some sort of protocol?
3) When sending it in, can I tell them what I'd like to get done? Or do they notify you of what needs replacing as they begin servicing?
4) Does Rolex have new old parts? For example, if the bracelet on the watch is totally shot, can the replace it with a new 93150 bracelet or will they repair the old?

I'm new to this, so if y'all have any comments or suggestions I'm wide open to those as well. Thank y'all for any help you can provide.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
. RSC is a good place to know that you will get new parts and proper care.

. Dallas is the home of one of the premier RSCs

. You can tell them, but they will give you an estimate with what they recommend and what they require.

. They do not repair older bracelets. A new one will run about 800 bucks
Old 11 October 2017, 10:33 PM   #3
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
. RSC is a good place to know that you will get new parts and proper care.

. Dallas is the home of one of the premier RSCs

. You can tell them, but they will give you an estimate with what they recommend and what they require.

. They do not repair older bracelets. A new one will run about 800 bucks
Awesome, I appreciate it.

For a follow up question (hopefully this isn't too dumb), can you send them just a watch case with no bracelet and request that they service the watch and put a new bracelet on? The reason I ask is I'm currently looking at an older Sub that comes with just the watch, no bracelet.
Old 11 October 2017, 10:36 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Awesome, I appreciate it.

For a follow up question (hopefully this isn't too dumb), can you send them just a watch case with no bracelet and request that they service the watch and put a new bracelet on? The reason I ask is I'm currently looking at an older Sub that comes with just the watch, no bracelet.
Yes they will service just the watch head,they will put a new bracelet thats original for that reference watch but will charge for it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 10:42 PM   #5
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes they will service just the watch head,they will put a new bracelet thats original for that reference watch but will charge for it.
That's perfect. Thank you for the help.
Old 11 October 2017, 10:55 PM   #6
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Questions about your response. I read on other threads that RSC usually keep the old parts when they replace with new ones. Is it not the case with bracelet?
So if people don't want RSC to keep the original bracelet, we can all just send the watch in without bracelet, right?
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 11:10 PM   #7
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
I thought they sold new bracelets on an exchange-only basis.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 02:08 AM   #8
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
.. as an additional question, can you order just a bracelet from an AD?
Old 12 October 2017, 11:54 PM   #9
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the help from everyone.
Old 13 October 2017, 12:51 AM   #10
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Questions about your response. I read on other threads that RSC usually keep the old parts when they replace with new ones. Is it not the case with bracelet?
So if people don't want RSC to keep the original bracelet, we can all just send the watch in without bracelet, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
I thought they sold new bracelets on an exchange-only basis.
Hello? Peter? Could you please confirm?
Old 13 October 2017, 01:17 AM   #11
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

well if you send just the watch head with no bracelet and you asked for a replacement, they would have to sell you the bracelet on top of the service ... they couldn't refuse to not give you a new bracelet if you didn't have one with the watch.

now are you guys sure they would give you a proper "dated" braelet ? clasp code and all ?

wouldn't be a special service bracelet with no mark on it ?
I know for the clasp, I have read that they do S as a mark on certain clasp so ppl know it was replaced during service.
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 01:39 AM   #12
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
well if you send just the watch head with no bracelet and you asked for a replacement, they would have to sell you the bracelet on top of the service ... they couldn't refuse to not give you a new bracelet if you didn't have one with the watch.

now are you guys sure they would give you a proper "dated" braelet ? clasp code and all ?

wouldn't be a special service bracelet with no mark on it ?
I know for the clasp, I have read that they do S as a mark on certain clasp so ppl know it was replaced during service.
Well, if that's the case. People who wants to get extra glidelock, brushed bracelet for their GMT II, can just send in a Sub Watch head and ask Rolex to sell them the bracelet. Not a bad idea.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 01:50 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Well, if that's the case. People who wants to get extra glidelock, brushed bracelet for their GMT II, can just send in a Sub Watch head and ask Rolex to sell them the bracelet. Not a bad idea.
Rolex will only supply a bracelet that came original with whatever reference watch you send in.So if you sent in say a 16610 sub thats the bracelet they would supply and not a bracelet from say a 116610 sub.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 October 2017, 05:23 AM   #14
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Rolex will only supply a bracelet that came original with whatever reference watch you send in.So if you sent in say a 16610 sub thats the bracelet they would supply and not a bracelet from say a 116610 sub.
So are you saying that it's not the case that Rolex will sell new bracelets on an exchange-only basis? Because that's what I have been led to believe. Are you saying if I send in a 14060 wacth head only, they will sell me a 93150 bracelet, even if I don't have an old 93150 to turn in?
Old 14 October 2017, 06:10 AM   #15
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So are you saying that it's not the case that Rolex will sell new bracelets on an exchange-only basis? Because that's what I have been led to believe. Are you saying if I send in a 14060 wacth head only, they will sell me a 93150 bracelet, even if I don't have an old 93150 to turn in?
If you ship a watch to Rolex without a band or say on a inexpensive strap you will more than likely pay a full retail price for the band. If you have the Rolex band on the watch and they replace it at your request they will keep the Rolex band and the cost will most likely be less or at an adjusted cost of what you would have paid verses if you sent it in without the Rolex band. In the case of solid gold they will give you an adjusted price off the retail which may or may not be close to the gold weight in scrap, a lot of times not. You just have see at the time of the service estimate what they will offer you. Be at advised things change all the time. Lastly Ad’s just don’t sell metal Rolex bands out right.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 06:26 AM   #16
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When someone sends in a Rolex with say a mismatched OEM part like a dial, band or SS spring bars in a solid gold case etc, Rolex will advise you if the mismatched parts are genuine or not and advise you before they will work on it what part needs to be replaced or corrected with the overall cost including service. Even something as simple as having the wrong spring bars can hold up service if you don’t agree to allow them to replace it.
Old 14 October 2017, 06:40 AM   #17
run23
"TRF" Member

Not really an answer to your question, but if you buy from some trusted re-sellers (e.g., David SW) you may not need servicing right off the bat and the major scratches will likely have been tastefully polished out. Good thing about these resellers is that you can just call and ask if they've serviced or know the service history, and you should get an honest answer. You'll pay a little more, but it's worth it to be dealing with someone trusted who has checked out the watch first and can confirm how it is running.

I bought an early 2000s 2-liner on the forums this year, who had recently bought it from David SW and was flipping it-- the watch was keeping/keeps amazing time (with 1/2 sec/day) and the case looks great for a 14 year old watch, so there was no reason to service other than getting a pressure test prior to diving with it.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 06:44 AM   #18
OldOak
"TRF" Member

I sent my 2 liner to RSC in London and I was so impressed. Like a new watch and I loved the brushing and polishing. It was like a brand new watch, but the older style. I would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:00 PM   #19
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Rolex can do some impressive work.
Old 14 October 2017, 10:36 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Yes but you will pay full price instead of exchange price.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 October 2017, 02:10 AM   #21
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Yes but you will pay full price instead of exchange price.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 15 October 2017, 02:33 AM   #22
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Following up from my AD in Seattle - Rolex has gone back to "exchange only" on bracelets. So if you have an older one on the watch they will keep it and knock a few hundred off the price of new - depending on the condition and material.
As described above if you want to keep your bracelet do not send it in, but you will pay full price for the new one.
Still full price from RSC for a NEW bracelet is way way cheaper than finding new on the secondary market - example 93150 from RSC was $1050 for me. 1.5K-2K+ secondary market (NEW) - if you can find...
AD says they might go back to just letting you buy a new bracelet sometime - wouldn't that be normal?
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote