The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2017, 08:11 PM   #1
zeus91
"TRF" Member

Rolex Collection experiences being an anti-climax

Hi Guys,

So I’ve been lucky enough to purchase two pieces, being able to purchase even one has been a dream since I was a kid, I love the watches they’re amazing time pieces, investments and also business tool (In my opinion).

However the customer service experience has never really matched up with that of the watch, not that it was bad in anyway, it was just all a bit of an anti-climax to what I thought it would be.

First occasion the staff were pleasant enough buy the process was quite rushed, the watch bought out from the back, slapped into a box and handed to me in a bag as if I was buying some groceries I was in and out within 5 minutes which felt quite strange as this was a moment id been looking forward to for years! I had to ask for the bezel protector for my watch too.

Second occasion I came to collect a watch I’d been on a waiting list form I arrived at the store and had to wait for around 20 minutes which I understand as the sales associates were busy, but in the meantime nobody approached me even though I was visible. Once I grabbed someone’s attention I discussed the watch but conversation from the sales guy was limited. I then expressed my interest in a hulk but was told in a polite manner no chance, the sales guy told me I should count myself lucky that I was being sold a Deepsea D-blue at the time.

I understand that sports steel models are hard to come by but when spending almost 10k on a watch I don’t think it’s right for the AD to make you think they’ve done YOU a favour by selling you the watch.

What do you guys think? Would be interesting to hear your experiences.
zeus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Boothy84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR, DJ
The unfortunate situation Rolex have created with limiting SS sports models.

Customers are made to feel like AD's are doing them a favour by selling to the individual.

Is it the reason why the experience isn't as special as maybe it should be ?
Boothy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:34 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand your view point. I could really care less about my AD experience as long as I am getting the watch that I want, at a price which is reasonable and after sale service is available. The AD's can keep the drinks, candy and whatever else they want to give me. I am paying for it anyway. I focus on the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:40 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My AD has been nothing short of stellar in the sales and service area. I'm made to feel welcome whether I'm buying or just paying a visit. I can't tell you how many times I've just popped in to say hello and chat watches, or simply shoot the breeze.

Maybe it's time to look at another AD if you're not feeling the vibe.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:59 PM   #5
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Good point regarding local AD experiences . My Local AD has a employee who if I see is working there when I visit ,I wont even enter the building . The whole demeanour is , you cant seriously think YOU can walk into here & simply buy a Rolex . If the employee isn't there then happy days & I feel quite comfortable and will happily browse a while & chat to the friendly staff. Just my experience & maybe its just me .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 09:55 PM   #6
dberman3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My AD has been nothing short of stellar in the sales and service area. I'm made to feel welcome whether I'm buying or just paying a visit. I can't tell you how many times I've just popped in to say hello and chat watches, or simply shoot the breeze.

I completely agree with Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dberman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 10:10 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The Game has Changed. The AD not customer is King in this low supply world Rolex have seen fit to create for us. It has led to very bad blood and hostile, tense atmospheres in most UK ADs already. The watches might be getting more popular but their service is falling down the gutter.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

I've switched ADs because of this. I'm from the Leeds in the UK and I used to go to the Rolex boutique. Bought my first Rolex (Daytona) there 4 years ago and the experience was fantastic, then the scarcity of the SS models started and even though they weren't bad they gave me the same sort of feeling zeus described, "You should count yourself lucky we allow you on the waiting list" feeling.
I now go to Goldsmiths over the road and the lack of airs and graces is so refreshing! If I go into browse, they offer me a drink and have chat no problem.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 10:41 PM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My experiences seem to show that it almost always depends on how busy they are. Most times I have gone into an AD it has been on a weekday when they were not crowded and I have always found that they are happy to chit-chat with me and allow me to take a look at various watches from the case even though they knew I wasn't buying any of them. I'm sure when they are busy it becomes a different experience. But still, there's no reason they can't offer you a drink or something like that while you are waiting to spend thousands of dollars in their shop.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 11:00 PM   #10
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Our expectations tend to never meet reality. I expect very little from people (something taught to me by my father) therefore I'm rarely disappointed.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 11:10 PM   #11
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my ad has been nothing short of stellar in the sales and service area. I'm made to feel welcome whether i'm buying or just paying a visit. I can't tell you how many times i've just popped in to say hello and chat watches, or simply shoot the breeze.

Maybe it's time to look at another ad if you're not feeling the vibe.
x2
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 11:30 PM   #12
KRVNRCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 42mm Explorer 2 B
I totally understand what you are saying. For many of us it has taken decades to get to a point where we can afford such a luxury. It better damn well feel special when we make that investment! I haven’t had the experience you had, but like others I have visited local ADs during slow hours. I ended up buying from a smaller local dealer and had a great experience.

I remember visiting a Porsche dealership to drive a car a long time ago and the salesman looked really hesitant and asked me what I was driving. After checking out my RX-7 he must have been satisfied and LET me drive the car. Some people just shouldn’t be in sales.
KRVNRCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 11:39 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Enjoy your watch and forget about salespeople. They are only interested in the sale.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 12:34 AM   #14
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Old 20 October 2017, 12:36 AM   #15
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Our expectations tend to never meet reality. I expect very little from people (something taught to me by my father) therefore I'm rarely disappointed.
Your father gave you very sound advice. I agree with him.
Old 20 October 2017, 12:42 AM   #16
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
that doesn't sound like a pleasant experience at all. At least I was greeted, provided water or soda. Tried on a couple different watches. The store adjust the bracelet a couple of times for me to make sure it is perfect fit. Although it wasn't anything special, it was pleasant. Maybe like you said. SS sport models are so hot and in demand, they feel like they have the take it or leave it attitude towards any customer (maybe except the high roller buying multiple PM watches).

But my dealer said the same thing about being lucky to be able to own both D-blue and BLNR. I know they are hot, but I think it's their way of making you feel "special".
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:46 AM   #17
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Most of my new watches were purchased at "Watches of Swaziland" in London. The service there is always impeccable and you even get a glass of champagne. I think its a shame if you're not getting that sort of treatment from your AD. Its an important and exciting purchase and a good AD will recognise that. I would buy elsewhere in the future.
Old 20 October 2017, 01:53 AM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I get it.

I remember purchasing a new watch from an AD early on in my sickness () and thinking...is this all? Don't get me wrong, my AD is one of the best around and I still enjoy going there to shoot the breeze or look at a few watches, but still...you're basically buying something like in any store and walking out with a bag.

On the flip side, you could order the world's most amazing watch from one of our stellar TS's and get it handed to you by a FEDEX delivery man, so...that's not much for the wow factor either.

What I've learned: the watch is the thing. That's where my expectations lie, and that's really all that matters. YMMV.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:03 AM   #19
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Things must be different in Europe, USA seems to have ample supply.

PS. ADs don't really roll out the red carpet over here either
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:45 AM   #20
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I get it.

I remember purchasing a new watch from an AD early on in my sickness () and thinking...is this all? Don't get me wrong, my AD is one of the best around and I still enjoy going there to shoot the breeze or look at a few watches, but still...you're basically buying something like in any store and walking out with a bag.

On the flip side, you could order the world's most amazing watch from one of our stellar TS's and get it handed to you by a FEDEX delivery man, so...that's not much for the wow factor either.

What I've learned: the watch is the thing. That's where my expectations lie, and that's really all that matters. YMMV.
Well said... at end of day we are purchasing a watch, expectations get stretched by the dollar amount. I’m happy if the piece is blemish free and runs within spec.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:50 AM   #21
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:00 AM   #22
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
As much as people talk down about Tourneau, the two watches I've bought from them have been nice. They took me into a private room, feed me and my girl champagne, gave us gifts (a rolex clutch for her) etc....I bought one from a boutique in Vegas, and it was the grocery store experience. In and out. No gifts, no nada for my lady.

At the end of the day, I was buying a watch. But the extras for her were a nice touch.

Since then, I've turned grey market and poured us champagne and dished out chocolates at home as I open the box from DavidSW lol
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:07 AM   #23
nicky77
"TRF" Member

I agree with what others have said

I also do not care about the AD experience, certainly I do not want to be treated rudely. I also do not want to be lied to. However, I am more concerned with the price and getting the watch I want.
nicky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:18 AM   #24
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Supply and price are what counts, don't need no stinking brown nosing. Oh and steady hands by the sizer.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:17 PM   #25
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
My AD is great! But he loves my money!!!
Old 20 October 2017, 02:52 PM   #26
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
I understand that there should be more attention to special moment client is having. I think it happens in other luxury goods as well. When i buy Rolex everything works very well.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 02:58 PM   #27
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus91 View Post
Hi Guys,

So I’ve been lucky enough to purchase two pieces, being able to purchase even one has been a dream since I was a kid, I love the watches they’re amazing time pieces, investments and also business tool (In my opinion).

However the customer service experience has never really matched up with that of the watch, not that it was bad in anyway, it was just all a bit of an anti-climax to what I thought it would be.

First occasion the staff were pleasant enough buy the process was quite rushed, the watch bought out from the back, slapped into a box and handed to me in a bag as if I was buying some groceries I was in and out within 5 minutes which felt quite strange as this was a moment id been looking forward to for years! I had to ask for the bezel protector for my watch too.

Second occasion I came to collect a watch I’d been on a waiting list form I arrived at the store and had to wait for around 20 minutes which I understand as the sales associates were busy, but in the meantime nobody approached me even though I was visible. Once I grabbed someone’s attention I discussed the watch but conversation from the sales guy was limited. I then expressed my interest in a hulk but was told in a polite manner no chance, the sales guy told me I should count myself lucky that I was being sold a Deepsea D-blue at the time.

I understand that sports steel models are hard to come by but when spending almost 10k on a watch I don’t think it’s right for the AD to make you think they’ve done YOU a favour by selling you the watch.

What do you guys think? Would be interesting to hear your experiences.
That is unfortunate. I bought my BLNR from the case at 10:30 am at my AD and was offered water and Champaign and whisked upstairs for sizing while my wonderful rep removed the stickers and boxed the watch I’d walked in with, a 17 year-old YM. They even asked if I was going back to work. I was. And they put all the fancy rolex packages and bags in a plain brown bag so I’d be inconspicuous. Though I had to turn down the Champaign, the experience at Shreve & Co. was absolutely stellar.

And you deserve the same. Try a different AD.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:29 PM   #28
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Truth.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:35 PM   #29
mato123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, IWC
As stated above, maybe time to look at different AD or different brand. Tons of choices in that price range.
mato123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:49 PM   #30
kepler22
"TRF" Member

Completely the opposite, great experience, took about an hour, AD explained how the GMT worked, sized the bracelet, had a coffee and even gave me an umbrella as it had started raining! I have also popped in a few times and they were happy to discuss watches and try on various models, even though they were Patek's and they probably realised way above my price range. Seemed to me that their passion is watches and just like to show them off!
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote