The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2017, 07:42 PM   #1
KentDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060 SubC
Buying a new Rolex in the UK - in mint condition

My apologies if this has been covered before.

Yesterday, I spoke to someone in a Goldsmiths store about the availability of a Rolex 116610LV, and was told about their waiting list - approximately one year.

If I end up buying one I'd like it to be 100% mint and boxed, as I'd probably keep it as an investment. I wear a Sub C and Omega models day to day.

I was told that should I buy one, it would have its plastic protective films removed, therefore in my opinion, would no longer be 100% guaranteed mint condition. To me, this means that it could have been used as a window display watch, or have been tried on by many other customers before being re-boxed for me to take away.

Speaking as a prospective customer, I queried this and was told that they MUST remove the protective films prior to sale. This sounds like a yarn to me.

Does anyone have experience of this, or was I being spun a line by the dealership?
KentDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:44 PM   #2
mato123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, IWC
From what I read it happens all the time.
mato123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:51 PM   #3
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Some dealers insist stickers are removed some don't.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:54 PM   #4
artschool
"TRF" Member

their shop their rules. if you dont like it take your business elsewhere.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:54 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

most dealers in london do this, to prevent flipping. IMO its not the best investment anyway as what kind of return are you actually expecting? Its not going to beat an investment in the financial market.

Keep it, wear it, and in the future you will get most of your money back. Value retention is good, investment return is not.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:56 PM   #6
jpjsavage
"TRF" Member

Buying a new Rolex in the UK - in mint condition

My skydweller had the stickers removed and kept. Not a problem for me. Wear it and enjoy it. It will still appreciate over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpjsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:12 PM   #7
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
OP
They don’t remove the stickers and put it in the window!

It’s if you buy it they then remove them before you leave the store!

And TBH if you are on a list for one it will never hit the window anyway.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:41 PM   #8
zeeww
"TRF" Member

it depends on stores. They removed my DJII but never remove stickers on my LV and GMT LN!
zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It's up to the AD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:54 PM   #10
jpjsavage
"TRF" Member

Yes, there is no specific demands made by Rolex but ADs male their own decisions re this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpjsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:08 PM   #11
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Unneccessary twaddle in my opinion. AD's and 1st world problems.

Take your business elsewhere if you are not happy.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:23 PM   #12
DuncanInLeeds
Banned

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Personally, I don't get this "leave the stickers on" thing. If I buy anything I prefer the seller to take off and dispose of all the superfluous packaging, whether it's furniture or a watch.

But then again I buy stuff 'cos I actually want to use it. I mean, why buy a new Aston Martin (insert your dream vehicle of choice) and then not drive it?

Same goes for watches, they're to be worn and used. There can't be many - if any - who would buy a Rolex and consider it a good investment. Even the tulip bubble burst eventually..
DuncanInLeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:43 PM   #13
bobby81
"TRF" Member

I have purchased two new Rolexes in the past year & half from a Grey Dealer in the North of England & all protective seals were intact. These Watches came from a Rolex AD in Spain. All were genuine, stamped, signed & dated the only difference was they had another name on the Warranty Card & to clear up this issue about Warranty Cards I have taken the Watches to the only Rolex AD in my City & on asking I was told that the Warranty would be honoured ,that as long as the Warranty Card was filled out correctly & has been swiped by the AD that they originated from they would honour the Warranty. I think the Rolex ADs take it upon themselves whether to remove these protective seals, I don't think it has anything to do with Rolex. Rolex may advise that these seals are removed but I can't see them knowing if these seals are removed from every Rolex that is sold
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Montybaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
OP

I think they did with mine, time was set (although a minute out) and stickers removed before I got there to pick it up (LV) I assumed it was to deter from me flipping it

I later saw they had two DaytonaC's in the window (stickers removed etc) and these were waiting to be collected

Didnt bother me because I intend to ruin it not sell it, dont really get the investment thing with new watches, if it increases in value it stoll will with a few scratches
Montybaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:10 PM   #15
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Why would the AD be concerned about flipping? As long as they’ve sold the watch, why should they care what the buyer does with it? And if it is to avoid Rolex sending a mystery shopper to find what AD is selling pieces that end up on ChronoWatch, then the question gets bumped one level higher - why should Rolex be concerned with that?
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:37 PM   #16
MrWhy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes weekly
When I bought my BLNR a couple of weeks ago the dealer showed me the watch (stickers on) to make sure I was happy with it, took the payment and then took the stickers off. The AD said this is what they are asked to by Rolex, which I don't have a problem with.
MrWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:31 PM   #17
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhy View Post
When I bought my BLNR a couple of weeks ago the dealer showed me the watch (stickers on) to make sure I was happy with it, took the payment and then took the stickers off. The AD said this is what they are asked to by Rolex, which I don't have a problem with.
They may be advised to remove the stickers but how could Rolex implement this. Ask the AD to account for all the stickers. I will say again it's all down to the individual involved
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:34 PM   #18
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
All depends on relationship with the AD, my last two watches (Daytona & SD43) were handed over still in the coffin untouched.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:56 PM   #19
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
most dealers in london do this, to prevent flipping. IMO its not the best investment anyway as what kind of return are you actually expecting? Its not going to beat an investment in the financial market.

Keep it, wear it, and in the future you will get most of your money back. Value retention is good, investment return is not.
Sage guidance, this.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:59 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
OP

Yes they should remove it in front of you. If it is without stickers it is a return. They are the only BLNRs and LVcs you see in windows now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:01 AM   #21
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
OP

This!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:04 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
They may be advised to remove the stickers but how could Rolex implement this. Ask the AD to account for all the stickers. I will say again it's all down to the individual involved
Rolex are very proactive now, they can trace a sale back from WF and other big dealers, which they have done using secret shoppers, and then they put the fear of God into all ADs so now they all pretty much conform if they have any doubt about the buyer's intentions. Just no point losing their franchise and many have been severely warned this year, as these watches will sell easily any way without stickers.

AD's service has deteriorated hugely this year and thus so has the brand's image, but then Rolex are bullying them so they are just paying it forward, seems like a very unpleasant time all round. I don't think greys selling these at premiums is enough compensation so maybe they have halted production and are having a strategy rethink. Rolex do not exist to squeeze every last penny and I think the brand image is more important to them so hopefully we will see a less antagonistic strategy employed next year. Brexit really caught them out.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 01:59 AM   #23
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
AD's getting clients to sign bits of paper promising not to flip in the first 3 years and retaining the warranty card for 12mo is a very poor show IMO. What a way to take the shine right off what should be a great experience. Rolex and SOME AD's should be thoroughly ashamed.

I'm seriously tempted to spend my hard earned on an AP next time - unless I find a Sky-Dweller first
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 11:08 PM   #24
KentDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060 SubC
Thanks for the replies gents.

It's a buyers market, and I would certainly travel elsewhere if I felt unhappy about the level of service I received from any dealer. Should I purchase another Rolex, it's unlikely to be worn as I rotate through a small collection of various brands, and wear a Sub C as my main watch already.

In terms of using a new Rolex to be cared for as a financial investment, it would be speculation, as some other more traditional investments are also.

At Rolex recommended prices, my Sub C is now sold at £545 more than I paid for it four years ago. How much value it has retained to date is another matter, what with it's scuffs and scratches!
KentDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 12:32 AM   #25
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentDweller View Post
Thanks for the replies gents.

It's a buyers market, and I would certainly travel elsewhere if I felt unhappy about the level of service I received from any dealer. Should I purchase another Rolex, it's unlikely to be worn as I rotate through a small collection of various brands, and wear a Sub C as my main watch already.

In terms of using a new Rolex to be cared for as a financial investment, it would be speculation, as some other more traditional investments are also.

At Rolex recommended prices, my Sub C is now sold at £545 more than I paid for it four years ago. How much value it has retained to date is another matter, what with it's scuffs and scratches!
Not so sure its a buyers market at the moment
Macnavara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 12:42 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Rolex are very proactive now, they can trace a sale back from WF and other big dealers, which they have done using secret shoppers, and then they put the fear of God into all ADs so now they all pretty much conform if they have any doubt about the buyer's intentions. Just no point losing their franchise and many have been severely warned this year, as these watches will sell easily any way without stickers.

AD's service has deteriorated hugely this year and thus so has the brand's image, but then Rolex are bullying them so they are just paying it forward, seems like a very unpleasant time all round. I don't think greys selling these at premiums is enough compensation so maybe they have halted production and are having a strategy rethink. Rolex do not exist to squeeze every last penny and I think the brand image is more important to them so hopefully we will see a less antagonistic strategy employed next year. Brexit really caught them out.
This. Rolex can't stop the buyers from flipping but they can go after the AD's for facilitating it. AD's are very, very defensive with buyers and are removing stickers and selling to people they know etc.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 October 2017, 01:45 AM   #27
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Why are you buying it for an investment in the first place? An investment it ain't. Its a watch - wear and enjoy it and most if not all its value will be retained and possibly still enhanced. I have heard most London AD's are told to remove the stickers by Rolex.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:58 AM   #28
NWCarver
"TRF" Member

I bought a new 36mm OP from Goldsmiths on Friday - while doing this I asked about the 'sticker situation' and was told that they will not allow their sports model Rolex to leave the store with stickers, their policy is to remove them - if the customer does not like this then 'tough' they can go elsewhere...

Interestingly, this AD policy does not apply to other models not in the sports range - so my 36mm Op with blue 3,6,9 dial came with all the stickers and hang tags still on it - although no bezel protector nor Rolex cloth.

I did explain that, having worked/done some work for Rolex SA before, I know that this is not official Rolex policy - for the dealer to own up and say that this simply their managements policy to prevent customers selling on at a higher profit..

Must admit, all in all, their customer service was pretty poor - leaving a lot to be desired compared to other ADs that I have used - but it was the only place that I could get the watch I was after - and that was what counted for me.
NWCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 02:03 AM   #29
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
If I buy a Rolex in the UK and the stickers have to come off, I'm ok with that. But it's me that takes the stickers off MY watch. If I have to do it at the AD, that's fine too. But I like peeling the stickers off and if I can't do it then I walk.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 02:06 AM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCarver View Post
Interestingly, this AD policy does not apply to other models not in the sports range - so my 36mm Op with blue 3,6,9 dial came with all the stickers and hang tags still on it - although no bezel protector nor Rolex cloth.

I did explain that, having worked/done some work for Rolex SA before, I know that this is not official Rolex policy - for the dealer to own up and say that this simply their managements policy to prevent customers selling on at a higher profit..
those models are not being flipped hence they don't care.

Read Neils post. He has said it many times before but Rolex in the UK is leaning on their dealers pretty hard regarding watches ending up on the secondary market. No one knows Rolex's official policies, but its safe to say the AD's are getting the message from Rolex none the less.