The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2017, 10:18 AM   #1
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126720VTNR
Rolex QC on my new EX2 -- Within Spec?

Hi everyone,

I received my BNIB Ex2 in the mail today. My first Rolex. I was very excited, and I also have a problem with looking very closely at my watches. I see perceived imperfections very easily.

So, I need your help!

Is the attached photo within specs, normal for Rolex?

Basically the 12 marker looks like it's a smidge to the right... Or the crown markers are a smidge to the left. Or maybe 12 marker is slightly crooked.

Anyone else here with similar issues? If this is normal for Rolex, I'm fine. If it's not, should I request an exhange?

TIA!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171021_165554.jpg (145.6 KB, 986 views)
sgtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:25 AM   #2
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
So the crown logo on the inner rehaut is very commonly not perfectly lined up with the tick at 12:00. There are many threads discussing it. That’s pretty normal and I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Your dial is a different story. The inverted triangle should absolutely line up with the crown below. If it’s off like your pictures show, I would call Dallas RSC and send it to them. They will likely replace the dial under warranty.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:28 AM   #3
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Attached is a picture directly from the Rolex website to compare with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer2.JPG (100.3 KB, 957 views)
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:38 AM   #4
peterpl
Banned

If you want to enjoy any watch even AP/Patek put that loupe away into the bin.

You will ruin the enjoyment of the watch if you look at magnified pictures of each watch because you will find imperfections with every single one of them.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:40 AM   #5
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

You will ruin the enjoyment of the watch if you look at magnified pictures of each watch because you will find imperfections with every single one of them.
I agree. I saw this without a loop and right away.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2017, 10:41 AM   #6
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

I agree. I saw this without a loupe and right away.
Old 22 October 2017, 10:51 AM   #7
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
So the crown logo on the inner rehaut is very commonly not perfectly lined up with the tick at 12:00. There are many threads discussing it. That’s pretty normal and I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Your dial is a different story. The inverted triangle should absolutely line up with the crown below. If it’s off like your pictures show, I would call Dallas RSC and send it to them. They will likely replace the dial under warranty.
Would you send for service, or request an exchange from the AD? I've had it only a few hours, still stickered.
Old 22 October 2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Looks perfectly normal to me.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:10 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
Would you send for service, or request an exchange from the AD? I've had it only a few hours, still stickered.
If you only had it for a few hours I think they will exchange it for you. Most allow exchanges not returns.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:16 PM   #10
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
Rolex QC on my new EX2 -- Within Spec?

If it bothers you, you should request for an exchange.
ETA: I checked my Explorer and both the crown and the triangle marker are perfectly aligned.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:22 PM   #11
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I have a black faced 2016 EX2 without any of the above aesthetic imperfections. However, my EX2 did have a movement issue. It would wind rough. The problem got worse in the first 6 months I owned the watch. I finally sent it back for Service under warranty and it came back fine.

That being said, I did buy my ex girlfriend a Ladies Datejust that would lose 5 minutes a day in March 2016. So that’s 2 new Rolos in 1 year with serious QC issues. I don’t think I am a statistical anomaly. Very few luxury watches are truly perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:24 PM   #12
branepantovic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400st
Now you got me squinting at my sub's rehaut on the train
branepantovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 01:30 PM   #13
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by branepantovic View Post
Now you got me squinting at my sub's rehaut on the train

LOL. He got me too. I didn’t check the alignment until I read this thread
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Really? Wow, tough bunch of customers we are! Hahaha... it would be deemed ok to me.
Scapegoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 02:00 PM   #15
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Totally fine in my opinion. Enjoy the awesome ExpII!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 03:05 PM   #16
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

People don't realize that the dials are hand made and the markers applied by hand. There is bound to be imperfections. It does not effect the value of the watch. It would not bother me. If it bothers you that much you can take it back to the AD and see what they can do. If the warranty card is already in your name they are likely to say it is a warranty issues. Doesn't matter if you left the stickers on. Some AD's will hold the warranty card back and leave the stickers on just in case someone wants to change their mind about the watch.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 04:20 PM   #17
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
People don't realize that the dials are hand made and the markers applied by hand. There is bound to be imperfections. It does not effect the value of the watch. It would not bother me. If it bothers you that much you can take it back to the AD and see what they can do. If the warranty card is already in your name they are likely to say it is a warranty issues. Doesn't matter if you left the stickers on. Some AD's will hold the warranty card back and leave the stickers on just in case someone wants to change their mind about the watch.
Can't the AD simply return the faulty watch back to Rolex directly and exchange to me a good example? What does the AD stand to lose?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2017, 05:08 PM   #18
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Apparently this still falls within specs. I believe Rolex Quality control is done by photo, computer and eye.

But I agree that the lining up should be perfect. On my Explorer it is perfect and that is how it should be.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 05:50 PM   #19
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Chances are if you take a loupe to the replacement they give you, there will be something off on it as well.

That would not bother me FWIW.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:21 PM   #20
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
As others have said. Put the loop away. Just wear and enjoy that Explorer II. Love this model with the white dial.
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:44 PM   #21
Woody
"TRF" Member

You will find that as the years pass you will not have these problems.....just seeing the watch on your wrist can become a challenge!! If the dial really bugs you then send it back or visit your nearest RSC and ask them to replace the dial. I had some minor issues with a new GMTII-C about 10 years ago and the RSC here in London just switched the dial for me, no problem.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:58 PM   #22
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I received my BNIB Ex2 in the mail today. My first Rolex. I was very excited, and I also have a problem with looking very closely at my watches. I see perceived imperfections very easily.

So, I need your help!

Is the attached photo within specs, normal for Rolex?

Basically the 12 marker looks like it's a smidge to the right... Or the crown markers are a smidge to the left. Or maybe 12 marker is slightly crooked.

Anyone else here with similar issues? If this is normal for Rolex, I'm fine. If it's not, should I request an exhange?

TIA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
Attached is a picture directly from the Rolex website to compare with.
The 12 o’clock marker on the example on the rolex website is also slightly off like yours but in the opposite direction.

The rehaut engraving isn’t fine. Your dial will Ben very slightly off. It’s normal in that respect as there is an element of “play” when the dials are fitted.

I wouldn’t stress the rehaut but if you’re not happy you could question your seller on the marker being a little off.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:38 PM   #23
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
If I were the AD, I'd smile pleasantly at you and either tell you it was within spec, or send it off for a few weeks for you. I'd also make a mental note to tell you the next time you came in, that whatever you wanted was out of stock.

I think there's reasonable expectations of getting a "right" watch, but seeing as how the Coronet is less than 4 mm across, you are complaining that something, on a hand finished dial, that is literally a hairs width off....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:47 PM   #24
slide13
"TRF" Member

It’s fine, in my experience this isn’t uncommon and well within spec. Finding one that lines up absolutely perfect is pretty rare. Rehaut engraving on my Sub is slightly off too, and I picked between two models the AD had and got the better of the two.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:49 PM   #25
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Wouldn't bother me one bit. Couldn't be bothered with sending it away to be honest.
Old 22 October 2017, 08:54 PM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Looks within spec. Of course a quick visit to an RSC can easily correct this. The watch itself is not defective and if you just swap it, the next watch is adding another variable.

So, how is the timekeeping of the watch? How does she feel when you wear her? In the end what really matters is that you enjoy your time :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:56 PM   #27
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:

It obviously can’t hurt to ask the AD for an exchange, but as others have said, many will not once your name is on the card.

Don’t expect the coronet on the rehaut to line up. As padi explains it, there is a small amount of play in the dial feet so when the dial is set it may be a hair of a degree off. Even if it’s lined up now, it may change with the first service. If you look at the Subs and GMTs on DavidSW’s site you can see that many/most are slightly off.

The dial would probably bother me enough to have it replaced. It may be within spec, but you’re clearly the type of person who looks for these type of details. If your AD doesn’t replace the watch then the RSC should fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:18 PM   #28
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
If I were the AD, I'd smile pleasantly at you and either tell you it was within spec, or send it off for a few weeks for you. I'd also make a mental note to tell you the next time you came in, that whatever you wanted was out of stock.

I think there's reasonable expectations of getting a "right" watch, but seeing as how the Coronet is less than 4 mm across, you are complaining that something, on a hand finished dial, that is literally a hairs width off....
Fair enough. OTOH, I'd prefer not to spend another $8k on a new watch that has a slightly crooked indice at 12, so I'd likely not want to purchase again if I was told to take a hike and then blacklisted.

It bothers me because it's literally the one indice I will look at the most, and the most critical for symmetry. If this were an issue at 1,2,4,5,7,8,10,11, I can promise we wouldn't be having this conversation. The rehaut alone would not bother me, I'd never see it.

FWIW, the same thing bothers the heck out of me with driving bezel PIPs. Same with Chrono hands that don't reset to 12 on the dot. Misalignments that I will never unsee.
Old 22 October 2017, 09:21 PM   #29
sgtiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
It obviously can’t hurt to ask the AD for an exchange, but as others have said, many will not once your name is on the card.
Why is this? Can't the AD simply send it back to Rolex for a new watch to resell? Is the AD stuck with it?
Old 22 October 2017, 09:49 PM   #30
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I see your point on the watch but I am not sure that depending on the direction the pictures are taken might also impact this. The Explorer II Polar is a great watch. You bought it for a specific reason. Put the loop up, peel the stickers and start wearing it and enjoy it. I would hate to think that someone would look at me with a loop because the imperfections are significant and I am out of warranty, yet every day I go out and make the best of it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote