The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2012, 12:53 PM   #91
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelain View Post
I took my sub off tonight to protect the bracelet from scratching for the first time ever. I was on a bridge with concrete rails getting ready to shoot video of the dancing fountain of Dubai. I know I'd be pressing my forearms against the concrete pretty hard to steady my camera, so I dropped my Sub in my pocket before it started. In this case I'm glad I did, I'd have scarred it badly from the way I rubbed my arms on the rails.
Now that is an entirely different matter than being concerned about getting any marks on your clasp. You were afraid of causing DAMAGE, not just normal swirlies which appear from everyday use which makes total sense to take the watch off as a preventive measure. I have taken off my watches in numerous occasions where I felt there was a chance for a serious scratch so I applaud your common sense!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2012, 02:43 PM   #92
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
Improviz...... I don't know why you took my first post to be an attack on you?

If you read it again, you will see that I am simply speculating as to why people (in general - so not you personally) take more care than I would suggest was the norm and what some people (so not necessarily psychoanalysts) might suggest was obsessing over the ongoing condition of their watches. I have never mentioned OCD.
Well, that's the thing: the OP was enquiring about how he might prevent his watch from getting all scratched up when he uses his computer. I just thought it was odd that you then proceeded to lump any and all people who might take a few simple steps to prevent their watches from getting all scratched up into some odd group who care more about resale than anything else.

Quote:
But you clearly have taken my comments and pure and very general speculation on why someone (not you personally) would go to extra (no matter how simple) lengths to avoid everyday marks on their watch clasps, to be an attack on your own habits and lifestyle.
Um, much more so with your subsequent reply, which was of course directed at me...the first one was more annoying in terms of the implication that anyone who wants to keep their watch looking nice is some sort of joyless tightwad who only cares about resale--as if this could be the only possible motivation for wanting to keep a beautiful watch looking good...

Quote:
Quite frankly, I really do not care what you do or don't do and you can take whatever precautions you like to preserve the original finish on your watch.
Which you then turn around and contradict in the very next sentence when you write:

Quote:
Alll I am saying is that in my opinion (and again pure speculation on my part as I have no data either way), I do not believe it's the norm to be so over protective with your watch. You then jumped on my case as if I was somehow querying your mental state because I don't believe it to be the norm and I don't follow the same preservation techniques that you do.
Well, point by point, 1) I don't belive it's the norm to obsess over minor steps people may take to keep their watches from getting banged up or to pigeonhole them if they do so; 2) I don't think using a mouse pad is "over protective", as I'm resting the wrist there all day, so I see no harm in taking ten seconds, once, to throw an unused pad on there to keep it looking nicer for longer; 3) when you wrote that you didn't think it was "healthy" for me to "obsess" over it (an conclusion I'm rather curious to know how you arrived it, given that I only wrote that I put a mouse pad on my desk at work and arch my wrist to avoid scratching it on rough surfaces), I think it's safe to say that you weren't speaking of my health vis a vis my cholesterol count, and thus mental health is the rather indesputable interpretation, 3) I never criticized you for not following the same "preservation techniques" (formaldehyde?) that I practice.

Anyway, enough with all that, I think the OP can, if he takes the time to skip posts assailing him for wanting to try and keep his watch from getting scratched up while he's at work, find a few suggestions to do so.

Quote:
But I'm out and about (potentially scratching one of my watches) at the moment so am unable to debate this more fully with you.
Well, nothing really to debate: I just think that it's not normal to try and second-guess or criticize people who take small measures to take better care of their things, and that obsessing over it is frankly not healthy for you long term.

In all seriousness, I think that someone wanting to take steps to prevent metal on metal (his watch against a laptop) scratches from developing on his watch a'la the OP is not obsessive, nor does it indicate prima facie any Scrooge-like obsession with resale; it does show that he'd like to keep his watch from getting scratched by his computer, which a mouse pad or few well-placed pieces of scotch tape on the laptop would take care of post haste.

If otoh he decides to start wearing one of the silly contraptions shown above, I'd say that's definitely getting out into OCD turf.

Quote:
But please accept my apologies if you feel I have somehow offended you.... Never my intention....
OK, fine, no worries, let's drop it then.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2012, 12:54 AM   #93
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
On the desk where my wrist would sit while typing, i have asoft mouse pad where the buckle would sit... So no desk dives.
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2012, 12:55 AM   #94
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Hmmmm popcorn mode....
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote