The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2016, 10:53 AM   #1
SwissHawk
"TRF" Member

Help Pepsi GMT First Time Buyer?

Hey all,

Anyways was looking to get my first Rolex I have a few other nice watches but nothing in the league of Rolex and have always loved the Pepsi GMT Master II since I was a kid going in jewelry shops. Its my grail watch. I was also looking at picking up a Grand Seiko at some point but thats another story.

I have been doing some research on the GMT models and seem to want a newer one with the SEL and the newer lume that doesn't fade. I am looking early 2000s for these features? I kinda like the exposed open bracelet holes but could live without them.

I guess my main question is whats the fair going price these days? Theres a few retailers that I have seen them for around $7K USD Used? I guess it seems a bit high as you are getting close to the Batman Stainless in the newer style in price. I don't care for the newer design though. I have seen some 90s ones for around 5-6K but not sure if I am giving up much going to that vintage?

If its $5-7K its not unaffordable for me I just don't want to buy one at that price then realize I could have saved a few grand.

Thanks for any help!
SwissHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 11:00 AM   #2
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Cost may be condition dependent, but try to find one that is unpolished with box & papers for the asking price of $7K.

Consider purchasing from one of the trusted sellers on this forum, as they offer competive pricing.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 11:15 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

$7K would be the mark for anything in the early 2000's - a K or Y s/n could be a little cheaper and will still have SEL & luminova.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 11:19 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The price on this model is doing nothing but going up. Do your research and pull the trigger, they're not getting cheaper.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 11:42 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Thoughts on price of NOS Pepsi, Full set? Not 3186.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 11:59 AM   #6
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Thoughts on price of NOS Pepsi, Full set? Not 3186.
My guess, 11K. They just become harder to find in time - scarcity value.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 12:04 PM   #7
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
The price on this model is doing nothing but going up. Do your research and pull the trigger, they're not getting cheaper.
First off, warm welcome OP, to TRF.. but not sure... they (grey dealers) are indeed asking asking a lot, but are they getting it? myself, not sure.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 11:55 PM   #8
SwissHawk
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the help! I will start looking for one in good shape and check the sale area.
Old 31 December 2016, 04:40 AM   #9
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Welcome Swiss. Sure you could buy a new GMT or Sub in the same ballpark, but as you stated the Pepsi has been your grail since you were a young man.

I say contact a trusted seller on here and find exactly what you want. 7k seems to be the going rate for nice condition Pepsi. I remember about a year and a half ago when I was looking for my sub they could be had for 5.5k. Buy sooner than later.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 04:46 AM   #10
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I wouldn't be to picky on NOS. Get one from a trusted seller that's in good shape. An RSC polish shouldn't be a deal breaker. $7k is about right for a P or K.
Old 31 December 2016, 05:15 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissHawk View Post
Hey all,

Anyways was looking to get my first Rolex I have a few other nice watches but nothing in the league of Rolex and have always loved the Pepsi GMT Master II since I was a kid going in jewelry shops. Its my grail watch. I was also looking at picking up a Grand Seiko at some point but thats another story.

I have been doing some research on the GMT models and seem to want a newer one with the SEL and the newer lume that doesn't fade. I am looking early 2000s for these features? I kinda like the exposed open bracelet holes but could live without them.

I guess my main question is whats the fair going price these days? Theres a few retailers that I have seen them for around $7K USD Used? I guess it seems a bit high as you are getting close to the Batman Stainless in the newer style in price. I don't care for the newer design though. I have seen some 90s ones for around 5-6K but not sure if I am giving up much going to that vintage?

If its $5-7K its not unaffordable for me I just don't want to buy one at that price then realize I could have saved a few grand.

Thanks for any help!
i'd get the most affordable GMT2 and save the difference for a full RSC overhaul and bezel change to a Pepsi.

reason -- the Pepsi prices will drop because any GMT pre-ceramic can become a pepsi, and there's no way to tell if one was a pepsi from the factory without some real provenance. not to mention, there's millions in circulation and the M & V series GMT-c's are even cheaper than pre-c gmt 'pepsi's' --- which in itself makes little sense.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 06:52 AM   #12
jg2525
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
$7K would be the mark for anything in the early 2000's - a K or Y s/n could be a little cheaper and will still have SEL & luminova.
77T, I own a Y serial that you mention above. Can you tell me what would make the Y cheaper, I think this makes it an early 2000's. Just curious as I was told the Y was desirable since I "think" it was the last year with lug holes. I only ask since I am in the market for a potential trade and want to know what I have. Thanks!
jg2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 07:14 AM   #13
77T

Help Pepsi GMT First Time Buyer?

James - In general, the last s/n for lug holes wouldn't raise value in and of itself. My comment was cheaper in context of mid- or late- 2000's models.
The reason for Pepsi GMT prices jumping around when you see pre-owned listings is condition, originality, documentation and demand. As posted earlier, anyone can pop in a Pepsi insert (and some people pop in aftermarket ones, too). So having the original certificate and correct style number helps validate the originality of the watch. Many black bezeled GMT were converted and nobody would know but RSC or the one who did it without the cert.

Old 31 December 2016, 07:53 AM   #14
SwissHawk
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info I figured the model number would tell you what it originally was. Yikes. Ya it would be frustrating to get one that has been swapped and marked up.

I see a few on Bobs Watches I wonder if they would know if it's been switched? Would the original receipt show how it came new or the Serial number?
Old 31 December 2016, 08:20 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

You need to do more research and due diligence buying this reference with the variety in condition/packages. Everything is about condition and completeness/originality of the piece. The model number on some Rolex warranty papers say 16710a for coke insert and 16710b for Pepsi...this originality comes at a price including papers....otherwise it's about condition.. I think around 7k is a good price assuming the sample is not overpolished and a complete set for a blro 16710. I'd contact justrolexes as he's got one of the best stashes around for 16710 and you just have to ask him what you're looking for. Good luck.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 08:22 AM   #16
jg2525
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
James - In general, the last s/n for lug holes wouldn't raise value in and of itself. My comment was cheaper in context of mid- or late- 2000's models.
The reason for Pepsi GMT prices jumping around when you see pre-owned listings is condition, originality, documentation and demand. As posted earlier, anyone can pop in a Pepsi insert (and some people pop in aftermarket ones, too). So having the original certificate and correct style number helps validate the originality of the watch. Many black bezeled GMT were converted and nobody would know but RSC or the one who did it without the cert.
Thanks 77T for the clarification. Is there anything in the serial numbers that reference the original insert? And, is there anything on the inserts that can distinguish authentic insert from aftermarket? Mine came with coke, Pepsi and black and I can't see any difference in any of them other than the colors of course. And to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but thought this may be helpful to anyone looking to buy/sell the popular 16710.
jg2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 09:02 AM   #17
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissHawk View Post
Thanks for the info I figured the model number would tell you what it originally was. Yikes. Ya it would be frustrating to get one that has been swapped and marked up.

I see a few on Bobs Watches I wonder if they would know if it's been switched? Would the original receipt show how it came new or the Serial number?

Bob's Watches might know if they had the original warranty certificate. The style number - not the serial number - is the way to be sure. The original receipt seldom indicates anything, but if the first buyer was wise enough to have the AD do a proper appraisal including serial number, style number and photographs, then that would be stellar provenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2525 View Post
Thanks 77T for the clarification. Is there anything in the serial numbers that reference the original insert? And, is there anything on the inserts that can distinguish authentic insert from aftermarket? Mine came with coke, Pepsi and black and I can't see any difference in any of them other than the colors of course. And to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but thought this may be helpful to anyone looking to buy/sell the popular 16710.
The inserts aren't engraved or stamped - just thin aluminum discs. Even if they were, the fakirs would simply replicate markings. There were many font styles over the years that fit certain ranges of serial numbers - the vintage section and reference materials are where you want to do research.

Try this as a starting point > http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com