The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 December 2016, 04:36 AM   #1
Brm170
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601 OPDJ
£8K Gbp what would you buy

Hello All,

So i currently have around 8k to spend, my question is buying second hand what 3/4 models would you choose, i would ideally like each one to be different for alternate settings i.e. meetings/work and daily, and mixture of SS / White Gold-SS / 18k Oyster and jubilee bracelets with SS, and if possible a blue faced one, a roman numeral dial, black or dark grey dial and champagne.

I am not as bothered about Box/papers (bonus if i could get them though) as I feel I would possible get more for my money without these as they would be less valuable and i will not be looking at selling so shouldn't affect me.

I am new to Rolex's and do not quite understand the shortened version of names/models so please any suggestions can you possibly provide full name (so i can google and learn for future) or picture/link to said watch.

Im sure that i may end up posting quite a few links in watch out section while trying to get advice on wether items will be a good purchase so apologies in advance

Thanks in advance

James
Brm170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Pretty sure you won't get 3/4 Rolex watches on that budget. Maybe 2 if you are lucky. You could take a look at what I have. An explorer Ii in black, and a blue Tudor pelagos. Both relatively new could just about be got for the 8k.

The issue you will have is that you will struggle to find much for under 4.5/5k in terms of rolexes. Tudors and omegas can be had for much less Pre-owned so you'd get more bang for your buck.

Good luck with the hunting
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 06:55 AM   #3
Brm170
"TRF" Member

I have been looking on Ebay (i know the ploys but would always research authenticity and franken parts) and Watch finder and there seems to be a few circa the 2k mark, although I'm not sure on model differences as yet and these may turn out to be not worth the asking prices or better models for not much more... The hunting is quite hard currently with not having much knowledge but thats part of the fun is learning :-)
Old 30 December 2016, 08:09 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think you're thinking about it all wrong. What is the watch you really want? Go after that one. If you've got anything left over, save it for your next purchase.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 08:15 AM   #5
peterpl
Banned

Why do you want 3-4 watches? And with $8k you probably will be limited to all entry level pieces.

Buy 1 watch that you really want with the $8k and save for another. No point buying numerous watches that you half like and you will end up selling them anyway and losing money on them.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Why do you want 3-4 watches? And with $8k you probably will be limited to all entry level pieces.

Buy 1 watch that you really want with the $8k and save for another. No point buying numerous watches that you half like and you will end up selling them anyway and losing money on them.
+1

I'd just get the watch in the current range that appeals to me most.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 09:36 AM   #7
R G
Banned

As others have said, you are not going to get three or four for that price.

One, yes, two, at a stretch.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 10:08 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd go for two watches. A 114060 for £5K and an Explorer 1 or an Oyster Perpetual with blue dial for £3K.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 10:43 AM   #9
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
1. Rolex 1601 datejust,

2. Rolex 16570 explorer 2

3. Omega speedmaster 3570.50

4. Tudor black bay black eta.

land, air, sea, dress watch. That's the best I can do with your budget. Although I agree that you should just go with whatever modern Rolex you like the best...probably a GMT as it is a jack of all trades. However, I wanted to answer your question to the best of my ability given your restrictions.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Pre-owned Datejust and keep the change - Plenty of dial options. You're looking at double figures if you want 3-4 fitting your criteria. *It appears you have a DJ already. Personally I'd get a Submariner 16610 or even a 16613 to go with it. That'd be a nice do-anything pairing.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 01:17 PM   #11
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak797 View Post
i'd go for two watches. A 114060 for £5k and an explorer 1 or an oyster perpetual with blue dial for £3k.
^^^this^^^
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 04:43 PM   #12
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brm170 View Post
I have been looking on Ebay (i know the ploys but would always research authenticity and franken parts) and Watch finder and there seems to be a few circa the 2k mark, although I'm not sure on model differences as yet and these may turn out to be not worth the asking prices or better models for not much more... The hunting is quite hard currently with not having much knowledge but thats part of the fun is learning :-)
My 4/5k comment was mainly aimed at the sports models (subs, GMT etc), but yes there are certainly other models out there for less. With 8k you could get a lot of watch however. As someone else said, think about what watch you'd really like and see what price it is. Don't let price determine your choice - otherwise you will end up with multiple watches that fit your budget but you don't really like and therefore won't wear as much.

If you like sports models, you could have a new (or nearly new) one and possibly have 2k to either put towards another or buy an older model as you have mentioned. Just an example, but if you don't love the watches when bought, they'll more than likely sit in the box after a while...
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 10:34 PM   #13
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
What's the reason behind wanted 3 or 4 Rolex watches in one go? Especially as like you say you are new to them?

Only my opinion of course, but I doubt you'd actually bond with them. I would buy 1 and enjoy wearing it for a while, then add a 2nd when you feel the time is right. Buying en masse just doesn't seem right.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 10:36 PM   #14
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
As others have said, the one you like.

Try a few on and what ever "floats ya boat" .......

"Simples"
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 12:36 AM   #15
Brm170
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses so far people,

So the reasoning behind this is as follows, I am in a position now to spend circa 8k but this will be a one off as future funds will be going into a house purchase and my daughter whom is turning One on 3rd January so will be saving for her future.

So any purchases i make now will be all i buy for future use (short of a lotto win ), I would love a Day-Date/Platona but its not likely to happen with my budget ever, so i have settled on a couple of vintage peices that hopefully with different dials/bracelets will cover all bases i.e. daily wear, meetings, work and suit occasions and the dials i have mentioned i do actually like, If i don't manage to buy items within new year (roughly) then the funds will be re-allocated so will have no watch fund haha.

I already know by buying second hand i may be able to get examples without box/papers i may then get a better example which i am great with knowing i will never sell these so papers etc don't matter for residual value.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:45 AM   #16
paulh69
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust 36
BLNR or Explorer II
paulh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 12:50 AM   #17
kiss RJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh69 View Post
BLNR or Explorer II

kiss RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 01:02 AM   #18
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I'd go brand new for both and get 2 watch icons.

Sub and Speedmaster.

Done!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 03:23 AM   #19
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am in a position now to spend circa 8k but this will be a one off as future funds will be going into a house purchase and my daughter whom is turning One on 3rd January so will be saving for her future. So any purchases i make now will be all i buy for future use (short of a lotto win ).
I wouldn't dream of proscribing to you how you should spend your hard-earned cash, but if you can 'ring fence' some of that £8k away from the future House & Family fund, I would consider spending only circa half of it now, on something you really like, and holding on to the balance for another purchase in a year or so.

The reason being, I find most of the fun in watches to be in the 'chase' as much as the actual ownership, so if you buy them all now & close the doors to new buys for the forseeable future, you may find that you miss the thrill of the chase. Stick around here long enough and you'll contract the same buying sickness as everyone else - it would be a shame to overload & buy 2/3 watches and not have the dedicated time to fully appreciate each initially, and then find yourself hankering after some other model once you've had the time to fully research & appreciate all that's out there, or pounce on new releases that sing to you.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 03:56 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would buy a 116600 or 116710.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 04:12 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far people,

So the reasoning behind this is as follows, I am in a position now to spend circa 8k but this will be a one off as future funds will be going into a house purchase and my daughter whom is turning One on 3rd January so will be saving for her future.

So any purchases i make now will be all i buy for future use (short of a lotto win ), I would love a Day-Date/Platona but its not likely to happen with my budget ever, so i have settled on a couple of vintage peices that hopefully with different dials/bracelets will cover all bases i.e. daily wear, meetings, work and suit occasions and the dials i have mentioned i do actually like, If i don't manage to buy items within new year (roughly) then the funds will be re-allocated so will have no watch fund haha.

I already know by buying second hand i may be able to get examples without box/papers i may then get a better example which i am great with knowing i will never sell these so papers etc don't matter for residual value.
I certainly don't want you raiding your daughter's funds so maybe leave the newer models. You could probably get a vintage-ish sub 14060 for £3.5, a 14270 Explorer for £2.5, and a blue or TT DJ for £2K, all for £8K. You can put straps on them too.
Old 31 December 2016, 04:15 AM   #22
slomo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
just get 1 watch .....BLNR
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 04:17 AM   #23
Brm170
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post
I wouldn't dream of proscribing to you how you should spend your hard-earned cash, but if you can 'ring fence' some of that £8k away from the future House & Family fund, I would consider spending only circa half of it now, on something you really like, and holding on to the balance for another purchase in a year or so.
Hello, thanks for the advice, unfortunately i have already agreed that any purchases not made or agreed by middle of January then funds will be re allocated so i won't be able to buy in a year or so sadly this is a one off option (and this also includes car fund aswell)

I am currently a student (money is savings I've saved for around 12 years) and when i graduate in 2 years salary won't permit non-frugal spending for around 7-10 years, so i hoped by buying alternate colour/styles that some would only be used on certain occasions it will be like having new watches quite often

Blue dial would be daily, as i love blue so it would never be tiresome
Roman numeral would be meeting
Black/Grey work
And possibly a leather/alligator band that can go on one to match suit scenario
Old 31 December 2016, 04:29 AM   #24
Brm170
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I certainly don't want you raiding your daughter's funds so maybe leave the newer models. You could probably get a vintage-ish sub 14060 for £3.5, a 14270 Explorer for £2.5, and a blue or TT DJ for £2K, all for £8K. You can put straps on them too.

This was what my thought process was so perfect sort of answer i was looking for (I'm just not up to speed on model references as yet)

Newer models although excellent are not my thing i would much prefer older/vintage so could get 3 older versions instead of 2 newer (obviously if funds were different then newer models would be .
Old 31 December 2016, 04:30 AM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
just get 1 watch .....BLNR
Spot on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 04:33 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This was what my thought process was so perfect sort of answer i was looking for (I'm just not up to speed on model references as yet)

Newer models although excellent are not my thing i would much prefer older/vintage so could get 3 older versions instead of 2 newer (obviously if funds were different then newer models would be .
Just make sure you do lots of research, obviously buying vintage is much trickier than new but that's half the fun. You have a month to choose the models you want so the funds are allocated to you, but take your time actually buying.
Old 31 December 2016, 04:55 AM   #27
Woody
"TRF" Member

If I was you I would opt for an older Datejust model purchased from a reputable dealer (not ebay). This should keep you going for a couple of years before you feel the need to add to your collection. Based on my experience your plan to fill your boots now because you will not be able to purchase again is unlikely to survive the test of time. Good luck.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 05:16 AM   #28
Brm170
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
If I was you I would opt for an older Datejust model purchased from a reputable dealer (not ebay). This should keep you going for a couple of years before you feel the need to add to your collection. Based on my experience your plan to fill your boots now because you will not be able to purchase again is unlikely to survive the test of time. Good luck.

I am currently on the look out for a datejust now, I am actually looking at a blue dialled one on Monday, The test of time will definitely fail and not allow me to buy a second or third watch if it isn't done in early January as priorities will lie elsewhere as i am re-training and art University it will take me around 10 years to be in a financial position to consider treating my self which will be around the time my little girl will want to be doing Disneyland etc so i feel like she will win out (although that will still pop a smile on my face)

Who would be reputable dealers in the U.K as tried searching but no joy as yet...
Old 31 December 2016, 09:19 AM   #29
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
I am currently a student (money is savings I've saved for around 12 years) and when i graduate in 2 years salary won't permit non-frugal spending for around 7-10 years, so i hoped by buying alternate colour/styles that some would only be used on certain occasions it will be like having new watches quite often
To be frank its probably not time for you to be considering luxury watches at this financial position in your life. Focus on your career and making money and then buy as many watches as you want.

These watches are not a necessity. Finish your studies, go buy a house, travel the world and spend it on strippers and experience the world first - thats my honest opinion. Just read you had a daughter as well. Spend it on her it will give you much more satisfaction than a piece of metal on your wrist
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote