The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 5 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #1
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 216570
Icon13 Hamilton Khaki Field Murph LE. NOT GREAT

I got this limited edition watch two days ago and the reflections off the crystal are horrible, No AR whatsoever., This is the watch from the movie INTERSTELLAR. $1000.... Hamilton support (part of the SWATCH GROUP) has been terrible and I'm not the first to see this problem. Now two days in and the crown is clicking. The wont sell me a new crystal or gasket to get ARed.
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hamilto..._bCYtttDY_zqqI

Thrasher36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 05:16 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd rather have a shiny crystal than AR wearing off...

What do you mean with the 'crown is clicking' ?
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

When crown starts clicking it means the the clutch inside is going south.
Old 5 April 2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Was it supposed to have AR?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your review.

I started a thread in the non-Rolex watch forum about this watch. The long lug to lug made for a borderline fit for me...

The crunchy crown action is concerning. I also have no experience with Hamilton service.

Cool box though.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 10:54 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher36 View Post
When crown starts clicking it means the the clutch inside is going south.
I'm a watchmaker and I have no idea of what you're talking about...
Old 7 April 2019, 03:32 AM   #7
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'm a watchmaker and I have no idea of what you're talking about...
A chronograph contains a clutch mechanism - or so I thought.

This watch is a simple time only movement...and brand new. Not sure what could go south so fast, but a crunchy sound is concerning nonetheless, no?
Old 7 April 2019, 03:35 AM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
A chronograph contains a clutch mechanism - or so I thought.

This watch is a simple time only movement...and brand new. Not sure what could go south so fast, but a crunchy sound is concerning nonetheless, no?
Correct, but a manual time only watch has no 'clutch'. And the clicking noise he is referring to could just be the mainspring slipping in the barrel when fully wound, or the click from the ratchet wheel. I suspect there is nothing wrong with the watch.
Old 7 April 2019, 03:53 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct, but a manual time only watch has no 'clutch'. And the clicking noise he is referring to could just be the mainspring slipping in the barrel when fully wound, or the click from the ratchet wheel. I suspect there is nothing wrong with the watch.
Yes. I am aware this watch has no clutch.

That's why I reiterated it is a time-only piece.

Maybe it's a loud clicker?

At any rate, maybe a 40mm version will be quieter

Nice box. Ooops, I said that.
Old 7 April 2019, 05:55 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Yes. I am aware this watch has no clutch.

That's why I reiterated it is a time-only piece.

Maybe it's a loud clicker?

At any rate, maybe a 40mm version will be quieter

Nice box. Ooops, I said that.
It could actually just be a 'loud clicker' some just make more noise than others

Old 7 April 2019, 07:55 AM   #11
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It could actually just be a 'loud clicker' some just make more noise than others

True.

Just watch the recent HODINKEE Talking Watches with John Mayer. He’s winding a Daytona and going on about the sound.
Old 7 April 2019, 08:43 AM   #12
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I am sorry to hear you don't like it, the good thing is you can send it back for a full refund or flip it...

I got exactly the same watch with the Special Edition Box, and I love it. And I didn't even realize there was a reflection problem, to me it's the same as any of my Rolex watches...?
I am actually personally very impressed by the build quality and it looks amazing on a NATO. It's truly a beautiful watch. I don't really like the leather strap, but I never wear straps anyway, except a NATO from time to time. I ordered the bracelet for it.

The sound is normal for any new watches...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2019-04-06-at-4.48.33-PM.jpg (223.6 KB, 1079 views)
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 02:47 PM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
True.

Just watch the recent HODINKEE Talking Watches with John Mayer. He’s winding a Daytona and going on about the sound.
Yep, saw the video! Mayer has an amazing collection
Old 7 April 2019, 09:38 PM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Not to hijack, but I like this one:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 02:07 AM   #15
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

Its an automatic movement H10 a variation of the 2824, I can't imagine the crown not having a clutch but I could be wrong and that would make sense as I find it hard to believe a crown could fail so quickly. As for the crystal since its domed it will reflect a lot more than a flat Rolex crystal but I would add this is hardly a Rolex quality crystal. The swatch group owns Omega. I received this Diver 300 the same day with fantastic AR.

My 216570
Old 10 April 2019, 02:11 AM   #16
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

In anycase the Hamilton has been sent to a lab in Colorado for double AR coating.

So just for clarity you guys are saying a watch with no complications..such as DATE etc will have no clutch in the crown?
Old 10 April 2019, 02:17 AM   #17
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I am sorry to hear you don't like it, the good thing is you can send it back for a full refund or flip it...

I got exactly the same watch with the Special Edition Box, and I love it. And I didn't even realize there was a reflection problem, to me it's the same as any of my Rolex watches...?
I am actually personally very impressed by the build quality and it looks amazing on a NATO. It's truly a beautiful watch. I don't really like the leather strap, but I never wear straps anyway, except a NATO from time to time. I ordered the bracelet for it.

The sound is normal for any new watches...
This does look great and the Hamilton Strap is cheap and small for my 8.2 in/ 21 cm wrist....I think though if anything I will have a new strap of better quality made that looks the same as the original

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hamilto...-interstellar/
Old 13 April 2019, 10:26 AM   #18
wdrazek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
I was close to buying it's cousin the Khaki Field automatic... until I tried it on and could not get past the reflective quality of the domed sapphire crystal.

Deal breaker, at least for me.
wdrazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:25 AM   #19
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
This does look great and the Hamilton Strap is cheap and small for my 8.2 in/ 21 cm wrist....I think though if anything I will have a new strap of better quality made that looks the same as the original

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hamilto...-interstellar/
In that price range, I would rather them put the money on the watch rather than on the strap. I am ordering the bracelet for it. I will post pictures once I get it.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 07:26 AM   #20
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My Khaki does not have AR. A little distracting at times, but not a deal breaker for me.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 03:36 AM   #21
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

I dont know why people insist on making excuses for a cheap crown and low quality strap. In any case the Crystal has double AR inside and out and it won't wear off, I have had watches ARd by the same guy in Colorado for 5 years and never a problem. The watch is an automatic and it disappoints me that people jump into tell me the watch has no clutch in the crown because its mechanical (Not self winding)

Old 8 July 2019, 05:51 PM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

1) Hamilton’s are inexpensive Swiss watches so AR coating is not part of the equation. Why you are comparing it to an omega that costs 5x as much?

2) Rolex doesn’t use glare coating either, but your Polar is a white dial so that mitigates the glare. Dark dial Rolex are just as glare prone as that Hamilton. For Rolex it isn’t cost cutting, it’s that people see the glare as bling and Rolex leaves crystal naked so they can show off.

3) I agree Hamilton Oem leather straps are pretty awful and unusable. At least this is 22mm.

4) The crown is clicking as you have wound it fully and the spring is made to slip in that case. Acts like a clutch, but it isn’t.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 09:18 PM   #23
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch for what it is. I am going to check it out when my AD gets one in and if it works I will ask for a significant discount and buy it. I don't think we should settle for watches but I also have learned to like my watches for what they are, not what I wish they were. The Hamilton straps are at best challenged but I have found with some wear they can be comfortable. I hope you get this sorted out to your liking as I think the pictures of the watch are great.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:55 AM   #24
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

2) Rolex doesn’t use glare coating either, but your Polar is a white dial so that mitigates the glare. Dark dial Rolex are just as glare prone as that Hamilton. For Rolex it isn’t cost cutting, it’s that people see the glare as bling and Rolex leaves crystal naked so they can show off.

This is wrong on many levels.... do you really think Rolex hasn’t put AR coating because people “want bling”? Is that even noticeable in an AD?

Much more likely that Rolex (i) is tradition-bound, and (ii) has not found a way for AR coated crystals not to look like crap after a few years of abuse.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 04:57 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I dont know why people insist on making excuses for a cheap crown and low quality strap. In any case the Crystal has double AR inside and out and it won't wear off, I have had watches ARd by the same guy in Colorado for 5 years and never a problem. The watch is an automatic and it disappoints me that people jump into tell me the watch has no clutch in the crown because its mechanical (Not self winding)
Mate, there is no clutch. Stop using the word clutch for anything other than a chronograph.

Once it is fully wound the mainspring will just slip inside the barrel to prevent it from breaking, therefore 'overwinding' is not possible on an automatic (and some manual wind movements have this as well). There is no clutch disengaging the crown.
Old 9 July 2019, 04:57 AM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

I must admit though, the AR does make it look a lot better.
Old 11 July 2019, 05:21 PM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This is wrong on many levels.... do you really think Rolex hasn’t put AR coating because people “want bling”? Is that even noticeable in an AD?

Much more likely that Rolex (i) is tradition-bound, and (ii) has not found a way for AR coated crystals not to look like crap after a few years of abuse.
2009 BASEL.

James Dowling interview with Rolex executive.

Will Rolex introduce AR coatings on the glass?

"No, except on the cyclops; if AR coating is used the glass essentially disappears, this is not something Rolex wish to do. In all Rolex watches the glass is an integral part of the design of the watch, which is why it sits above the bezel".

This comment has been universally accepted across many forums to mean that Rolex leaves the crystals naked because the shine off the crystal is what Rolex buyers want...so Rolex gives it to them.

Were you unaware of this interview?
Old 11 July 2019, 05:32 PM   #28
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
2009 BASEL.

James Dowling interview with Rolex executive.

Will Rolex introduce AR coatings on the glass?

"No, except on the cyclops; if AR coating is used the glass essentially disappears, this is not something Rolex wish to do. In all Rolex watches the glass is an integral part of the design of the watch, which is why it sits above the bezel".

This comment has been universally accepted across many forums to mean that Rolex leaves the crystals naked because the shine off the crystal is what Rolex buyers want...so Rolex gives it to them.

Were you unaware of this interview?

Thanks for the quote.

Not sure I understand the connection between the crystal being an “integral part of the design” and customers wanting shine/“bling”, so that’s why there is no AR coating?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 06:34 PM   #29
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I think the comment given by Rolex that AR usage causes the glass to essentially disappear and this is not something Rolex wishes to do is Rolex speak for it isn't glare, but bedazzle.

They don't want the glass to disappear....so they want it to be seen..and being seen means reflecting light...which adds to a jewel like appearance...etc
Old 19 July 2019, 11:27 PM   #30
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mate, there is no clutch. Stop using the word clutch for anything other than a chronograph.

Once it is fully wound the mainspring will just slip inside the barrel to prevent it from breaking, therefore 'overwinding' is not possible on an automatic (and some manual wind movements have this as well). There is no clutch disengaging the crown.
Interesting, thanks for posting.

On a related note, I had this Khaki Field piece for six weeks and loved it, until the barrel (?) came loose from the ... crown? Not sure as I'm not a watchmaker, but someone on here helped explain what they thought went wrong; it would run erratically (fine, randomly stop, etc), sound like it would wind and then made this weird 'unwind' sound ... all sorts of stuff. Thankfully got a refund. Really sucked though, 'cause it was a great piece and super accurate. May get another yet.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with yours, OP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4383.jpg (212.5 KB, 720 views)
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote