The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 March 2012, 03:43 AM   #1
baldyspoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Is Breitling About To Go Bust

Anyone else heard this, I was in Omega Boutique today and they was really pushing to sell me something. When I made it clear I was not interested as they don't discount, and showed them my Breitling I got 20% off they told me Breitling was in trouble and had too much stock and were on verge of going bust. A case of salesperson pi**ed off not getting or going to get a sale, or is this rumour true and Breitling are in serious trouble.
baldyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 04:53 AM   #2
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Mostly watches prices are going up.. I heard Breitling prices gives discount. That's kinda weird. No idea.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Too much inventory does not mean 'brand in trouble'. Not permanently, anyway. Let's not forget that back in 2006-07 (when I was still wet behind the ears ) brands like IWC and JLC had 'too much stock'. So they had a small closeout, coming right from factory. GP and Blancpain have as well. All while the AD's were still treating us as the 'boogeymen', saying stupid to the customers like "who knows where they get their watches from" or "they may be stolen"... We got them from the same people they did, only for much less

But back on topic, brands went through these small 'dumps', but not even 3 years later they were back on top, making sweet new models and cutting margins for (or cutting off completely) those same AD's. For brands, it's a small price to pay, imo.

And truth be told, most actual brands love the grey market, as it is often fueled by actual enthusiasts. It's the actual retail circuit that dislikes us, for obvious reasons.

As far as Breitling, they have had too much inventory for a while (at least a year), but it is not the good stuff. It's usually the solid gold pieces, ladies, or smaller models. Quartz even.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Well ,except the navitimer ,B doesn t have to many attractive models these days.B was very popular used to be but i think aviation watches are not very hot nowadays,the bentley line is really overpriced and dedicated to a niche market,NB might be they didn t dedicated but that s happened..

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Hardly, discounts for Breitling's have been around and available, an upset Omega person is my guess

I love the Omega watches but they seem to have become much more expensive in the last few years....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

wow, what a way to make a potential customer feel good.....poor form.

as to breitling going bust, that just seems insane.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Richard H.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I had a salesman tell me a few years ago that Seiko was bankrupt and going out of business.
Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Wow - another case of the Omega Boutique sales person has no idea what he/she is talking about.....
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Omega21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Flightmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Wow - another case of the Omega Boutique sales person has no idea what he/she is talking about.....
So it's not just me? I always walk away from the Omega sales people amazed that a novice like me knows more about their own products than they do!!
Tudor Pelagos "2 line"
Ω Flightmaster 911
Ω Seamaster Cosmic
Omega21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 12:34 PM   #10
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Well ,except the navitimer ,B doesn t have to many attractive models these days.
Right? What's up with that? But you have to admit, the Navitimer is a classic.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 07:57 AM   #11
EchoBlueUK
"TRF" Member

20% off Breitling has always been easy to get and recently due to the strength of the CHF against the GBP they have dropped the RRP in the UK. Weird but true. I very much doubt they are in trouble given worldwide sales & profits have been increasing year on year despite the questionable new designs they have been coming out with.
EchoBlueUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 11:48 AM   #12
GMK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-2C & TT DJ
I just got my Superocean back from service tonight!!!! I guess I am lucky I got the watch back before they went Bust
GMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 12:18 PM   #13
jcm212
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Too much inventory does not mean 'brand in trouble'. Not permanently, anyway. Let's not forget that back in 2006-07 (when I was still wet behind the ears ) brands like IWC and JLC had 'too much stock'. So they had a small closeout, coming right from factory. GP and Blancpain have as well. All while the AD's were still treating us as the 'boogeymen', saying stupid to the customers like "who knows where they get their watches from" or "they may be stolen"... We got them from the same people they did, only for much less

But back on topic, brands went through these small 'dumps', but not even 3 years later they were back on top, making sweet new models and cutting margins for (or cutting off completely) those same AD's. For brands, it's a small price to pay, imo.

And truth be told, most actual brands love the grey market, as it is often fueled by actual enthusiasts. It's the actual retail circuit that dislikes us, for obvious reasons.

As far as Breitling, they have had too much inventory for a while (at least a year), but it is not the good stuff. It's usually the solid gold pieces, ladies, or smaller models. Quartz even.
Why would manufacturers love the grey market? That a bit counterintuitive.
jcm212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 01:57 PM   #14
GFEAR
"TRF" Member

thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard, breitling had a great year, they have some awesome new models getting announced this week, and they arent going ANYWHERE.
GFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 02:01 PM   #15
GFEAR
"TRF" Member

btw, you are in the uk, breitling recently announced a 10% price decrease in the uk to balance the global trade against the chf. they will occasionaly have to do that so a chronomat 44 cost the same in london as it does in new york, paris or tokyo. they had a 27% increase in the last year but the pound is up 22% against the chf, so they had to drop it back 10% to make it work. but a dullard who is forced to work in the omega boutique wouldnt know anything about how that stuff works.
GFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2012, 11:34 AM   #16
212kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Date Just
Very interesting stuff here. Glad I read this thread. :)
212kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2012, 12:50 AM   #17
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
So realistically, how much discount is available on Breitlings in the UK now?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
AD's sell a lot of Breitlings around here.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2012, 11:40 PM   #19
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
AD's sell a lot of Breitlings around here.
I was in an AD yesterday with Rolex, Breitling and Omega and the owner said Breitling's always sell; reasonable price point and multiple models in multiple dial colors was his main reason
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 02:26 AM   #20
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Just been to my AD who told me that Breitlings are just not selling at all at the moment. He wasn't trying to sell anything or run anyone down.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 07:44 AM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post

Very interesting, thanks for weighing in Greg.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 12:11 PM   #22
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Breitling does have some odd stuff but that said the Navitimer is a beeeeeeeautiful bit of kit. Even considered getting a superocean gmt to hold me over til I can pop for a gmt master. One of my local ad's did state that breitling is cutting back their distributors by half. Luckily for him he had already ended that relationship and now has a host of tasty B's for "let's make a deal" prices.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2012, 01:11 AM   #23
G6 JRU
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 2
Last Wednesday, i collected my new DateJust 2 (first Rolex), prior to this i have purchased 3 breitlings and did ask the AD how she compared Rolex to Breitling, she did mention that sales have not been too strong recently, but not anything about them going bust.

I purchased the bentley back in 2007, the superocean heritage and the colt in 2010, all of which appear to have gone up in value since. Maybe breitling where putting the prices up too often where others were not? Although i did hear that Rolex have a price increase due around June this year.

Love the datejust 2, so much more comfortable!
G6 JRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 07:15 AM   #24
ErikSzper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM326
Tis an interesting thread, would beware any salesperson who would use doom and gloom as a sales tool, and any company that would hire/promote such actions. Sure it is not an Omega company line, just a mis-informed sales boutique employee.

As far as going out of business, Breitling is one of the few independents, and the excess stock is as described above, a lot of gold and diamond pieces, as well as some platinum bezel models that never did well. Then, as a company that changes their product line quite often, even if just dial designs, they are always going to have fazed out inventory floating. Have not noted any drop in secondary market values, but have seen volume a bit slow. On the other hand, with so many new models just debuted, is common for things to slow in anticipation of the new arrivals!
ErikSzper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 02:14 AM   #25
Wisconsin Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 JRU View Post
I purchased the bentley back in 2007, the superocean heritage and the colt in 2010, all of which appear to have gone up in value since.
Up in price, not value.
Wisconsin Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2012, 02:16 PM   #26
guyrolex

Watch: DSSD, SubC LV
Both the Omega and Breitling boutiques in NYC give 0 discounts, yet Omega and Breitling dealers routinely give 25% discounts. Whenever I mention this to the boutiques they always deny that is possible- so I wouldn't listen to any propaganda from a boutique! Btw, how do the boutiques make any sales at all? Who would pay $1000 + more to a boutique for the same watch?
guyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 12:05 AM   #27
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
I just sold my breitling evo (mop) to buy the new B01 with MOP dial.

$9,600 !!!!!!!!
are you kidding me? No gold or diamonds on it!
Breitling has priced me out of their market - I can get a SS Daytona for that!!!!

Either I have to buy used or go get another Rolex.

a little off topic...
The new Planet Oceans have gone insane with their pricing also. When I visited the Omega Boutique here, I got sticker shock. And more shocked that they don't discount a penny. I have a feeling that shop won't be around for long.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 12:06 AM   #28
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrolex View Post
so I wouldn't listen to any propaganda from a boutique! Btw, how do the boutiques make any sales at all? Who would pay $1000 + more to a boutique for the same watch?
the omega boutique here have a lot of the new models that aren't available to the AD's yet.
So if you have money to waste, and can't wait to get the latest greatest models, you have to buy from Boutique in Michigan.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 02:42 AM   #29
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFEAR View Post
btw, you are in the uk, breitling recently announced a 10% price decrease in the uk to balance the global trade against the chf. they will occasionaly have to do that so a chronomat 44 cost the same in london as it does in new york, paris or tokyo. they had a 27% increase in the last year but the pound is up 22% against the chf, so they had to drop it back 10% to make it work. but a dullard who is forced to work in the omega boutique wouldnt know anything about how that stuff works.
I'm with Echo on the price drop ie.20%(as i was told by one of my AD's.)
witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 03:35 AM   #30
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrolex View Post
Both the Omega and Breitling boutiques in NYC give 0 discounts, yet Omega and Breitling dealers routinely give 25% discounts. Whenever I mention this to the boutiques they always deny that is possible- so I wouldn't listen to any propaganda from a boutique! Btw, how do the boutiques make any sales at all? Who would pay $1000 + more to a boutique for the same watch?
The Breitling boutique in NYC sells on average 3 watches per day
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
was intrested