The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2013, 06:33 AM   #1
kingleonidas
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Help.......Breitling dive watch or baume and mercier>>>

Hello all:

I am very conflicted as to what type of dive watch I should buy. I am not going deep sea diving at all, actually I won't go past 20-30 feet, but I want a watch that is safe in the water, yet I won't have to pay 5,000 or over.

I was looking at the breitling dive watches, ( I want it on a bracelet of course),

and this watch....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003QBFIPW

What do you guys recommend as a nice, big, manly size watch, that is strong, waterproof, and durable....without the 6,000 dollar price tag, and are there any reliable places you guys have dealt with that I can buy from online?

Thanks so much.

Tom
kingleonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 06:43 AM   #2
salty_snack

Neither!

Get a tudor dive watch. Better than the breitling by a fair margin and better than the B&M by a wide margin.

By "manly sized" I hope you mean 40 to 42mm... 45 mm at absolute most... Bigger than that is classless.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
kingleonidas
Banned

Yes....42 the most !!

Are the new tudors associated with rolex, or do you have to go back to before a certain year?

Thanks for the info..it is most helpful.

Tom
Old 8 September 2013, 07:28 AM   #4
SixPak
"TRF" Member

See my post in the Non-Rolex Forum, lol.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
captainscarlet1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I would go with the Breitling every time.
Here's my 1999 Superocean, bought new from an AD.
It was my daily wearer up until recently and was put through all kinds of abuse.
I think it has stood the test of time very well. The BM you refer to is a nice watch though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02635.JPG (143.9 KB, 315 views)
captainscarlet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 02:05 PM   #6
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
A Breitling dive watch, something like a SuperOcean 42mm is going to be water resistant to 1500 meters, and going to run you about $3500 new at an AD. Not a bad watch, and not a bad price. Comparing it to a Tudor, either the Black Bay at $3450 (200m resistance), or the Pelagos (500m) for $4125.

Price wise, the Black Bay is a wash, and the Pelagos will cost you more.

Tudor has always been affiliated with Rolex. It's a wholly owned subsidiary of Rolex SA, and the watches are manufactured at Rolex. The movements are modified ETA based calibers, just like the SuperOcean. The difference (if there is one to you) is that Breitilng is a COSC certified piece, while the Tudor isn't. Some people put a lot of stake into it, some don't.

I honestly like the look of the Tudor more, the classic look with a nice clean dial is awesome. Breitling makes a solid watch though, and I do like both the rubber and leather options (especially the new DivePro 3 strap).
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
salty_snack

Get the tudor, you'll love it. There is no question that the fit and finish is a step above the others. Don't worry a second about cosc either. There are cheap Asian movements that would conform to that antiquated standard if they were tested so basically it doesn't mean anything anymore.
Old 9 September 2013, 03:05 AM   #8
kingleonidas
Banned

Thank you all for your opinion....if anyone else wants to weigh in, please do !!
Old 9 September 2013, 02:14 PM   #9
bgolfo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I have a superocean 44, got it for just over 2500 at an AD. 2000m water resistance, great watch. Big watch and good weight, stylish and sporty. Wear it everyday too and i just love it. just my opinion tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1900.jpg (92.5 KB, 276 views)
bgolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
I will have to agree with Tudor Pelagos. IMO the best diver out there at the moment and I prefer it to the Breitling. But then again, it is all personal opinions. Get what you like most, and not what a bunch of random dudes on a forum like most.
Old 9 September 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
I really like the superocean
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 10:58 PM   #12
salty_snack

The font of the breitling is ugly and somewhat juvenile. And really who cares about the depth rating? You'll be dead long before getting anywhere near 2000 meters.
Old 9 September 2013, 11:06 PM   #13
SixPak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_snack View Post
The font of the breitling is ugly and somewhat juvenile. And really who cares about the depth rating? You'll be dead long before getting anywhere near 2000 meters.
That's a very useful and informative post.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 12:02 AM   #14
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPak View Post
That's a very useful and informative post.
Thanks!

It's all true.
Old 10 September 2013, 12:16 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Breitling Superocean

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 09:05 AM   #16
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613ln
Breitling no doubt, its a great watch and built to last. The quality,fit and finish are superb and on par with tudor while some models blow tudor out of the water imo. Yes they are cosc certified movement to some it may not mean much but if its not a big deal how come tudor hasnt jumped on big brothers bandwagon and done the same-- answer because rolex lovers wont care and buy an overpriced non cosc eta anyway!!You really cant go wrong with any of there divers great watches at great prices, i think if tudor was not affiliated with rolex it wouldnt be as hyped up as it is albeit they have produced some great watches as well. I would encourage you to try any breitling diver and then strap on a competitor in the same $ range and your decision will be alot easier, breitling all the way..
lja1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 01:20 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I agree with Brian of course, get the Breitling Steelfish, preferably in blue, the modern day classic Breitling diver and beautiful too. Its 44mm but wears smaller like a 43mm.

[/QUOTE]
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 03:21 PM   #18
salty_snack

I have to scoff a little bit at the thought that breitling's fit and fishing are "superb"... At this price point I would say they are mediocre for the most part and really not that much if any better than watches at half the price.

While tudor isn't the fit and finish of rolex it isn't far off. I would put a tudor up against a breitling any day and expect them to be at very least equal.

If tudor isn't your thing and, IMO, breitling shouldn't be anyone's thing then look into the sinn divers and maybe even a seiko diver. (gasp) A 42 mm planet ocean may suit you well or the ever versatile seamaster. But avoid the special editions, especially the James Bond ones.
Old 10 September 2013, 03:29 PM   #19
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
get omega for much less than anything, and you will thank me :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 03:35 PM   #20
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
although I must add,I love the breitling aesthetic and have nothing against their reliable quality but Omega divers are my primary choice :D
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 06:46 PM   #21
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
I would go Breitling aswell
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2013, 11:43 PM   #22
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to scoff a little bit at the thought that breitling's fit and fishing are "superb"... At this price point I would say they are mediocre for the most part and really not that much if any better than watches at half the price.

While tudor isn't the fit and finish of rolex it isn't far off. I would put a tudor up against a breitling any day and expect them to be at very least equal.

If tudor isn't your thing and, IMO, breitling shouldn't be anyone's thing then look into the sinn divers and maybe even a seiko diver. (gasp) A 42 mm planet ocean may suit you well or the ever versatile seamaster. But avoid the special editions, especially the James Bond ones.
obviously you dont like breitling and to push your anti breitling agenda on the op is poor form..if you cant answer the question with any good unbiased information than dont answer at all...really a sinn or seiko better than breitling there are many breilting fans here look at the discussion section you are in, to say breitling is a mediocre brand clearly shows how misinformed you are.. Its not a brand for everyone but for those whom it is there is no doubt its a superb watch.
Old 10 September 2013, 11:47 PM   #23
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The only thing juvenile is this post..
Old 11 September 2013, 12:38 AM   #24
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lja1821 View Post
obviously you dont like breitling and to push your anti breitling agenda on the op is poor form..if you cant answer the question with any good unbiased information than dont answer at all...really a sinn or seiko better than breitling there are many breilting fans here look at the discussion section you are in, to say breitling is a mediocre brand clearly shows how misinformed you are.. Its not a brand for everyone but for those whom it is there is no doubt its a superb watch.
It's true I don't enjoy the majority if the breitling line save a few models. But there is no question that the Sinn or seiko watches at the similar price points are a much more worthy watches... You do know seiko makes there own in house rugged movements that are just as good as Swiss made watches costing two or three times as much... Not just $100 junkers. I think between the two of us you seems to be the less informed or experienced since you so easily dismiss anything but breitling. And any omega with the 8500 blows the breitling divers out of the water... So to speak.

Oh and my intent was to describe the fit an finish are mediocre at this price point and when comparing it to more expensive watches, not all of them of course, the fit and finish is obviously if lesser quality.

And since we are on the topic I might as well address your comment about breitling being a mediocre brand. Just FYI it is! It's not rolex, jlc, go, pp, VC, breget, ect... Ect... Ect. Yes it's better than timex and B&M and movado ect. but that's not saying much. As far as its production watches I would say its on a similar footing although slightly higher than tag heuer save the B01 And B04 (but tag has the 1887 so it's not far off). A big difference is tag makes some amazing technologically advanced movements while breitling doesn't venture into that area much if ever and that's fine since most people buying breitling wouldn't be in the $60k+ market anyway. None the less breitling uses mostly generic movements just like tag.

Addressing the op... Since he was between a B&M and a breitling I can only assume he isn't the most well informed watch buyer and that's fine... At one point in time I was in the same place and over time my taste and appreciation of fine watches matured. I'm just trying to help them out because in the sub-5k market there is a lot of garbage and really only a dozen or two watches worthy of the money.

Oh and the "sporty" font used by breitling on some of there "sporty" watches is juvenile. Lots of companies make sport watches and don't need to make the font something you would find on a $30 dollar plastic quartz that is made for the pre-teen market.
Old 11 September 2013, 12:55 AM   #25
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Ok i will give you that there is a lot of garbage out there that people can waste money on if not informed however i would not compare breitling to any of those brands you have listed. I would not consider a breitling an upper level luxury watchmaker(some models like the new chronomat make a case) like rolex just like i would not compare a rolex to a pp two different watches altogether. I am aware that seiko produces in-house movement,so does breitling, and am not disputing that fact for the price they are great watches but once again apples and oranges. Like i said its not a brand for everyone but it def has a place in the mid level luxury watch market unlike overpriced sinns and tudors.. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one...
Old 11 September 2013, 01:02 AM   #26
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Breitling Superocean

Great pics brian, looks like coki beach in VI, love that place
Old 11 September 2013, 02:03 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
And any omega with the 8500 blows the breitling divers out of the water... So to speak.
I totally disagree. I tried on the black 8500 fully expecting to buy it and while its a nice watch it is pretty bland and boring and it actually felt a little cheap and clunky esp for the high price so I went with the subc which has a much higher fit, finish and feel. And considering the 8500's price is almost double that of the Steelfish, which in blue dial form is far more beautiful than the rather plain old PO, its actually even more beautiful than the AP RO blue, I think the Steelfish is great value and def the smart buy over the 8500.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 02:54 AM   #28
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I totally disagree. I tried on the black 8500 fully expecting to buy it and while its a nice watch it is pretty bland and boring and it actually felt a little cheap and clunky esp for the high price so I went with the subc which has a much higher fit, finish and feel. And considering the 8500's price is almost double that of the Steelfish, which in blue dial form is far more beautiful than the rather plain old PO, its actually even more beautiful than the AP RO blue, I think the Steelfish is great value and def the smart buy over the 8500.
No argument here on the sub over the PO. Personally I'm a little torn over the dial on the steelfish because its trying to be a tool watch with a decorated dial which seems out of place to me. The royal oaks tapisserie pattern is easily one of the most amazing engravings in any dial, ever.

The PO goes for around $1k more than the steelfish so it seems that may be a bit of a stretch for what your getting.
Old 11 September 2013, 05:31 AM   #29
bgolfo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
My opinion is to each their own
Secondly Breitling is a very good watch brand, not the best but not the worst
Third, OP get what you want because YOU will be wearing it and none of us
Lastly, anyone who says seiko or sinn is better is Breitling might be smoking too much but what do i know ??
bgolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 09:34 AM   #30
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgolfo View Post
Lastly, anyone who says seiko or sinn is better is Breitling might be smoking too much but what do i know ??
Grand seikos are without a doubt better watches than breitling at a similar price point. The spring-drive and hi-beat are great in house movements and some of the models such as the "snowflake" have truly unique and beautiful dials.

Sinn may be using generic movements just like breitling but the technology they put into their watches far exceeds anything you would find at a breitling ad.

Tigmented steel, copper sulfate capsules, argon in filled cases, dipal coating, antimagnetic cases, ect. breitling doesn't offer this stuff and when you compare the price of sinn to breitling there's no question which is a better value.

I just think people put breitling on much too high of a pedistal simply to satisfy their own self delusion. If you like the design... Ok. But there is little technical merit in this brand, with the exception of the B01/04.