The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 April 2015, 07:55 AM   #31
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Nope, not me. First reason being I don't have an iphone. Second reason being I do have a cell phone...and some nice watches I'd much prefer to wear.
Old 9 April 2015, 11:52 AM   #32
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I've had a moto 360 since it came out.

It's a fun little gadget. It's nice to be able to quickly see notifications at a glance on your wrist without taking out your phone, but it's a novelty.

I'm sure people will find a use for them, but as of right now they aren't essential in any way.

For people who love mechanical watches, something like the Apple watch will never give them the same feeling.
Old 9 April 2015, 12:27 PM   #33
braningan
"TRF" Member

Not for me
braningan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2015, 01:18 PM   #34
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
No desire.
Old 9 April 2015, 01:25 PM   #35
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I am also a techie type but these have no appeal to me. I am not sure they are going to be only a fad. Many of the younger generation do not wear a watch. They say why-- I have my iPhone. I think a fair proportion of these non-watch wearers might convert over time. If i needed a watch that could a lot of things-- i would not be wearing mechanical watches with relatively few complications. I carry my phone and when i need it-- i pull it out. I thought iPads would be a fad and I am wrong and even own one now. :) So don't trust me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
No way.

I am all for new technology, but smart watches never made sense to me. They are a fad, nothing more.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 09:57 AM   #36
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
And I don't need any more radiation producing, cancer inducing electronic-magnetic on my body.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 10:15 PM   #37
sirduncs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Nope, not me. First reason being I don't have an iphone. Second reason being I do have a cell phone...and some nice watches I'd much prefer to wear.
This. I don't have an iphone, and the android equivalent Samsung Gear doesn't grab me. I have no need for a pedometer or heart rate monitor on my wrist. And tapping my wrist to try and send emails or messages, I just can't see myself getting into that.

Also, my 2006 LV will always win the Battle of the Wrist against a smart watch. So....not for me, and if I am honest, I don't really get all of the hype surrounding the apple watch apart from the fact that it's a new apple product, I just don't get the hype.

duncs
sirduncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 01:37 AM   #38
ocabj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I'm 99.999999% sure I'm not buying any version of current Apple Watch, but I did make an appointment (you have to schedule an appointment to try on the watches) to see the Apple Watch Edition.

As a heavy OS X user as I have been since 2002, I'm a smartwatch skeptic, but I still want to handle a $10K smartwatch. Any watch enthusiast should have at least a little curiosity.
Old 11 April 2015, 02:12 AM   #39
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm not interested in Apple products and I'm not convinced that a smart watch has any value beyond novelty and conspicuous consumption.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 02:37 AM   #40
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I'll pick up a gold one and flip it in a year or so for a profit (*_*)
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 08:36 AM   #41
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Went to try it today, the steel band as predicted, is fabulous. Looks well made and is well made. A steel bracelet like that made by a Swiss company will probably charge you 2000 dollar by itself.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 09:05 AM   #42
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
I love watches. But watches to me means a mechanical piece that is most likely handcrafted and well finished in the traditional watchmaking ways, something that showcases the artisan's passion and attention to the smallest details. It is an art form that takes many years of training and experience to be able to accomplish.

I also like that something that is made of 300-400 microscopic pieces could be put together by hand and be able to tell time to within 99.9% accuracy, that can have complications that serve some crazy functions, and be insanely beautiful to look at.

The IWatch is not any of the above. It tells time and has plenty of "complications" or functions but at the end of the day its just an electronic circuit board with poor "power reserve."

I am sure it will be very popular with the younger below 30 group and Apple will make a ton of money on it. But its not a watch to me.

They could just as easily call it mini I phone or I phone lite.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 10:26 AM   #43
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post

I am sure it will be very popular with the younger below 30 group and Apple will make a ton of money on it. But its not a watch to me.

They could just as easily call it mini I phone or I phone lite.
When the inevitable thread starts to nickname the new Apple watch I nominate the "Dick Tracy" as a suitable moniker.
Old 11 April 2015, 12:09 PM   #44
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
Worst buy ever
Planned obsolescence is part of every Apple device EVER
The point of a timepiece is quality and longevity
iWatch sounds like a 2 year time bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 12:46 PM   #45
Lange1
"TRF" Member

As long as it's compatible with Android phone. I definitely buy it. Otherwise just a kid toy.
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 01:44 PM   #46
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
The prices for the iWatch have been released....

$1,000 dollars (US) for the stainless version..., I'd rather buy a spare 93150 Rolex bracelet...!
Old 11 April 2015, 09:23 PM   #47
shnxx
"TRF" Member

I looked at it today.

Honestly, it's too expensive to buy the stainless steel version given that it will be out of fashion in 1-2 years and out of use in 3 years.

Sport version looks like a child's toy.
Old 12 April 2015, 12:05 AM   #48
jot_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I 214270
I preordered the Sport version. As much as I love my mechanicals, I'm very curious about the technology and I think there are some very interesting use cases of a device like this.
jot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2015, 04:24 AM   #49
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jot_ View Post
I preordered the Sport version. As much as I love my mechanicals, I'm very curious about the technology and I think there are some very interesting use cases of a device like this.

Which did you order?
Will you be wearing it everyday?
Old 12 April 2015, 09:57 AM   #50
jot_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnxx View Post
Which did you order?
Will you be wearing it everyday?
I ordered the Sport with the white band as well as an additional black rubber band. I actually wanted the silver aluminum with a black rubber band, but it does not seem they offer that combination.

I had the chance to try different models on today at the Apple Store and while the steel variant is much nicer than the Sport, I didn't want to spend so much.

I plan on wearing it every day at first. I want to see how I can fit a smartwatch into my life and how much of a help it will be. I can think of at least a few cases where the ability to subtly check an incoming text message or email, without having to pull out my phone, will be a huge help. Very curious about the possibilities that exist for third party apps as well. I am a little skeptical, but I'm excited to see what comes of this.
Old 12 April 2015, 11:09 AM   #51
Berry Lannom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc & DJ
I love my Apple computer, IPad, IPod, and iPhone 6, but not interested in the Apple Watch. I will stick with my Rolex GMT 11 and Datejust.
Berry Lannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2015, 12:14 PM   #52
ocabj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
The Milanese bracelet is actually quite nice and well executed. If I were going to buy one, it would definitely be that version.

The Sport model is actually something I thought about getting for the gym, especially since it can hold 2GB of music, which essentially replaces my iPod Shuffle (which I still use at the gym; I keep my iPhone in the locker when at the gym). But having to buy bluetooth headphones, not to mention the ~$350 price tag for the Sport version seems like something I can hold off on, at least until I brake my iPod Shuffle again (I've broken three Shuffles due to sweat shorting out the Shuffle).

Now the Apple Watch Edition doesn't feel like $10K to me. It looks clean, and the gold looks nice. But with a mechanical watch, I can get a feel for the quality of craftsmanship, whereas with the smartwatch, it just doesn't effectively convey that luxury feel.

Old 12 April 2015, 12:39 PM   #53
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
I checked out the watch today at the apple store. The jury is still out as to whether I will get one or not. I made an appointment to go back and check out the gold version in about two weeks as they are fully booked.

However, upon reflection, even if I really like the gold version, I don't think I want to buy one when everyone will know you are wearing a +$10K gold watch! At least with my gold mechanical watches, most people just assume they are fake.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2015, 12:46 PM   #54
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post

However, upon reflection, even if I really like the gold version, I don't think I want to buy one when everyone will know you are wearing a +$10K gold watch! At least with my gold mechanical watches, most people just assume they are fake.
And they'll also know you spent $10K to get email notifications and text messages without having to go into your pocket.

Perhaps my cynicism is premature, but unless Apple restricts the availability of the gold models I somehow doubt they will hold any value in the used market.
Old 12 April 2015, 02:25 PM   #55
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I played with one for a few minutes today. Hated it.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2015, 12:41 AM   #56
simbal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I ordered the Sport with the white band as well as an additional black rubber band. I actually wanted the silver aluminum with a black rubber band, but it does not seem they offer that combination.

I had the chance to try different models on today at the Apple Store and while the steel variant is much nicer than the Sport, I didn't want to spend so much.

I plan on wearing it every day at first. I want to see how I can fit a smartwatch into my life and how much of a help it will be. I can think of at least a few cases where the ability to subtly check an incoming text message or email, without having to pull out my phone, will be a huge help. Very curious about the possibilities that exist for third party apps as well. I am a little skeptical, but I'm excited to see what comes of this.
while the steel variant is much nicer than the Sport - Could you elaborate on this please? I have not tried it on yet, would like to hear your feedback since you have tried it, thanks much!
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2015, 12:59 AM   #57
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I have an iPhone 6 and an iPad Air, but have no desire or need for an iWatch. It does nothing for me. And the battery life sucks. It's bad enough that I have to plug in my phone and tablet every day to charge them up. I don't want to have to charge a watch, too. That's what I love about all my mechanical watches. They never need charging and since I keep them on winders when I'm not wearing them, they don't need hand winding either.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2015, 12:54 PM   #58
jot_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbal View Post
while the steel variant is much nicer than the Sport - Could you elaborate on this please? I have not tried it on yet, would like to hear your feedback since you have tried it, thanks much!
Sure! A couple of things really...

1. The steel version has an entirely polished case, which looks a lot dressier than the sport version. The sport version is made of alumnium and is entirely brushed. It has a bit of a lighter look to it than brushed steel might. Think - the shell of a Macbook.

2. The steel version has more finishing on the case. The button is a little more well defined and the crown has some black detailing.

3. The steel version has a sapphire crystal and ceramic backing - whereas the sport has an ion-x crystal (same as the iPhone screen).

4. The steel variant has better options for matching straps. It comes with leather straps in different colours, as well as a milanese and link bracelet. Whereas the sport only is offered with rubber straps.

I find the steel just, with all of these things in mind, looks more professional and more like a proper timepiece than the sport. The sport is a fantastic watch in its own right, but I liked the looks of the steel much better. Perhaps when gen 2 comes out, I'll upgrade to a steel watch.
Old 16 April 2015, 10:24 AM   #59
simbal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure! A couple of things really...

1. The steel version has an entirely polished case, which looks a lot dressier than the sport version. The sport version is made of alumnium and is entirely brushed. It has a bit of a lighter look to it than brushed steel might. Think - the shell of a Macbook.

2. The steel version has more finishing on the case. The button is a little more well defined and the crown has some black detailing.

3. The steel version has a sapphire crystal and ceramic backing - whereas the sport has an ion-x crystal (same as the iPhone screen).

4. The steel variant has better options for matching straps. It comes with leather straps in different colours, as well as a milanese and link bracelet. Whereas the sport only is offered with rubber straps.

I find the steel just, with all of these things in mind, looks more professional and more like a proper timepiece than the sport. The sport is a fantastic watch in its own right, but I liked the looks of the steel much better. Perhaps when gen 2 comes out, I'll upgrade to a steel watch.

Thanks for the response!
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2015, 04:03 PM   #60
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Not a chance. Have no use for it.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote