The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 May 2015, 10:51 PM   #91
rangercadre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I am trying to come up excuses for missing my wife's text and calls......
simple, just say your watch batt runs out. make sure u deplete them before reaching home.
rangercadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 03:42 AM   #92
Hulatime
"TRF" Member

Loving mine on Day 2

Received mine yesterday & am very impressed with how comfy it is. One of my big attractions to Panerai was the ability to "change the look" by changing bands. This gives me the same fun (kind of!). Immediately took the navy leather loop band off, for the white one (since it's summer now!) and just placed an order for a SS mesh bracelet. Packaging was nice, fun to use, no real feedback yet on battery life. Upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus to pair with the watch, so we'll see how this goes. First impression is better than anticipated... but in full disclosure, I am a fan of Apple products . Downloaded a golf app to the watch so I'll get a good gauge of legibility in bright light, as well as battery life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F65AB539-303B-4798-874A-25C058327ABA.jpg (52.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 5CBC26FC-14C2-43AF-8F30-BA3B96B6E218.jpg (54.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2110.jpg (56.0 KB, 107 views)
Hulatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 07:35 AM   #93
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
I read that orders for the Iwatch dwindled after the initial launch and they are not flying off of the shelves anymore
guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 10:32 AM   #94
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guelerct View Post
I read that orders for the Iwatch dwindled after the initial launch and they are not flying off of the shelves anymore
I'm not totally surprised by this though now that most of the early adopters and Apple fanboys are on board there is likely another segment that from the outset were going to wait for version 2 to hit the market. All in all though, the market for the watch is limited to the universe of iphone users, and I think part of the mission for this device has always been to sell more phones. If the watch doesn't accomplish getting a good number android users to switch over to the iphone I think Apple will consider it something less than a total success.
Old 1 June 2015, 04:20 PM   #95
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guelerct View Post
We will know once Apple starts to announce their quarterly reports, right now it is just guessing.

Apple is a firm believer in not listening to consumers when it comes to making products, instead they create a product and make user adapt to it.

Nobody thought a keyboard-less mobile phone would work, but Apple made it work, and by changing user behaviour, they became the most valuable company in the world.

Apple watch is a big risk no doubt, but if they are successful in changing user behaviour yet again, well, we will be looking at another multibillion dollar business.

It is one of those business ventures where maybe 95% failure rate, but if it works, 100X return.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2015, 07:45 AM   #96
JetRanger
"TRF" Member

Icon7

I bought the AW Sport 42mm, with all 5 color bands, 1 for me, and 1 for the wife. We both absolutely Love them! Received both of them on April 24. I have not worn my DD II YG since April 24, and my wife has not worn her YM YG since April 24. We really like the health features, and the glance features for SMS and emails. Just a quick glance, and then either review it, or wait until later, depending who it is from, and whether it's important, or not. No need to drag out the iPhone 6. The AW will only get better and better over time, as Apple improves the hardware every year or so, plus all of the new apps that will come along. I change out the band color every day or two, depending on what I am wearing, and I change the dial faces at least once/day. The band system is mind blowing cool, from an engineering standpoint. It's a 10 second operation to swap out bands for a new color, yet it is rock solid, with no backlash at all, once it is slid into pace and locked into position. When I get bored of any one particular dial, I can quickly change its color, dial complications, etc. And, it's accurate to the T with WWV. We are both getting about 24 hrs of run time, far exceeding the 18 hr spec. We bought the $399 Sport, as we plan to get new AW models every year or 18 months, depending on Apple's speed. AW is clearly throw away technology, not unlike the iPhone, as technology is moving so darn fast. No way did I want to throw away a $10k+ watch every year! I guess if I was Bill Gates I might, but I'm not!

Oops, AW just hit my wrist with its taptic engine, and is strongly advising me to get up off my butt, and Stand! Got to go now!

IMHO, JM2C, and YMMV!
JetRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2015, 07:55 AM   #97
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I'm not totally surprised by this though now that most of the early adopters and Apple fanboys are on board there is likely another segment that from the outset were going to wait for version 2 to hit the market. All in all though, the market for the watch is limited to the universe of iphone users, and I think part of the mission for this device has always been to sell more phones. If the watch doesn't accomplish getting a good number android users to switch over to the iphone I think Apple will consider it something less than a total success.
I had to stop in at the local Apple store last week to have them fix my iPhone 6. All the Apple employees in the store were wearing AWs so Apple must be giving them to their employees at least to wear in the store. I saw no need to even ask about the watch as I have zero interest.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2015, 10:03 AM   #98
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
...No need to drag out the iPhone 6...
This is what I just don't get, that it's such a hassle to access the cell phone these days. Never heard this complaint before Apple started pushing the watch. Now it seems having to pull the phone out of one's pocket is suddenly a major inconvenience. I suppose it is a hassle to anyone who needs the watch to tell them to get off their butt and walk around for a while.

No offense, it's not aimed at you. Many people it seems have suddenly developed a severe aversion to having to shlep all the way into their pockets to pull out their phone. Frankly, imho it's a weak argument for the AW and just seems to suggest people are defensive about liking it. And that's the other thing I don't get. What's wrong with simply liking it? I think there will be a lot of Rolex owners who will buy one and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not one of them but the main reason is I don't use an iphone, and in any case I don't even get nor want to get emails on my phone. I'm not perceiving it as uncool or horologically "beneath" me, I just don't have the need.
Old 3 June 2015, 01:35 PM   #99
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Anyone going to buy the Apple Watch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dserf View Post
no way

worth less than half the value as soon as walk out the store, like a car?

ill stick to mechanical that hold or in some cases increase in value and will not be obsolete when i want to give to my children

Most mechanicals depreciate in a similar fashion (depends on what you paid for it off or MSRP). Very few will ever increase in value. And while you can give a mechanical watch to your son/daughter you also have to account for service costs and insurance. So buying a $400-$1000 Apple watch say every two years (like upgrading your phone) isn't unreasonable to me considering full maintenance on my AP was about $1800 and my Daytona was $1200. Now that will hopefully last 5+ years, but you get the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 11:41 AM   #100
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Here's the thing: Apple has clearly identified a new section of bodily real estate upon which to put some technology. As time passes, that technology will be come more, er, indispensable. The smartphone did not exist in 2003 in a significant way. Now, it's use is so widespread, so pervasive, that many cannot believe there was ever a time when they did not own one, and cannot imagine a life or job without one. There is not a kid without an iPod, a salesperson without an iPad, or many people without an iPhone or a knock off. Apple wants to replace that timepiece on your wrist with a device that communicates, computes, informs, and does so much more so seemlessly that in a decade children today will be young adults who have no idea and no interest in what a Rolex or a Patek is. The market for mechanical watches will disintegrate much as the market for pocket watches did when wristwatches made their appearance.

It's just my humble opinion, of course, and I could clearly be very wrong. But I'm going to sell before the prices fall.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 12:09 PM   #101
JetRanger
"TRF" Member

Very similar to what happened to the slide rule that virtually all engineers used up until about 1974. HP introduced the HP 35 electronic calculator in 1973, and TI came out with an even cheaper version 6 months later. The slide rule went the way of the horse and buggy within less than a year. The AW is not merely akin to the Pulsar vs/ the mechanical watch. AW is a computer on your wrist where simply telling time is but a tiny, tiny fraction of its capabilities. I believe AW spells the beginning of the end of the mechanicals, even (sadly) the venerable Rolex. I agree that going the eBay route whilst the gittin' is still good is something to think about. Then again, only time will tell!
Old 8 June 2015, 12:18 PM   #102
bradj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Very similar to what happened to the slide rule that virtually all engineers used up until about 1974. HP introduced the HP 35 electronic calculator in 1973, and TI came out with an even cheaper version 6 months later. The slide rule went the way of the horse and buggy within less than a year. The AW is not merely akin to the Pulsar vs/ the mechanical watch. AW is a computer on your wrist where simply telling time is but a tiny, tiny fraction of its capabilities. I believe AW spells the beginning of the end of the mechanicals, even (sadly) the venerable Rolex. I agree that going the eBay route whilst the gittin' is still good is something to think about. Then again, only time will tell!
Its very easy to understand why the slide rule went the wayside for the digital calculator... Wanting to become a cyborg is a completely different story.
bradj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 12:43 PM   #103
JetRanger
"TRF" Member

Recall what happened to vinyl LP's about 2 milliseconds after the CD emerged. Or, the vacuum tube after the transistor arrived, or the phone booth when cell phones emerged. Technology knows no emotions, politics, opinions, etc. just the cold harsh realities of The Marketplace.
Old 8 June 2015, 11:09 PM   #104
texex91
"TRF" Member

Headed overseas last week, I saw a bunch of them while traveling, but for me the last thing I want is another thing to charge every night, have to have iPhone with it, plus will take wrist time from real watches that I really enjoy.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 11:59 PM   #105
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow15 View Post
Anyone going to buy the Apple Watch??
Yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote