The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

anybody think a lot of watch people don't even consider Breitling?

I know for some people it just comes down to design, which is going to happen as everyone has different tastes

But then there are various reasons why people probably don't even think about buying a Breitling that to me sound pretty stupid

The biggest being "too blingy", like the people that call it Breit-Bling or B-Ling because all they can seem to think about is one or two examples of a highly polished Breitling, perhaps even with diamonds (usually blinged out by some rapper)

Another common reason seems to be people think Breitling designs are too busy, i find this wrong as well because like any watch brand, there are designs with less going on and designs with more going on

And lastly, you have some that don't think its a brand that is really worth what they cost, at retail maybe that could be true as you can find way better deals, but you gotta look at that as not just value on the watch, but also whatever warranties you get and the service you get from the place you buy it at

Some also bring up how they don't have an in house movement (i think their only in-house is the movement in the Chronomat) and feel they should at their price point, i think thats a little silly as the actual gain from an in house movement will be minimal, the biggest difference is the models would probably start costing 50% more

Am i right in thinking a lot of those people probably couldn't be bothered to check Breitling out even if it was literally in their face when they were out and about?

I think i make some pretty valid points and i will one day own a Breitling Avenger II Seawolf or GMT

It would be sweet if i could make it happen by my birthday in March (which will be my 25th birthday), but things in my life are never as certain as id like them to be, so idk if it will happen that soon, it could take months longer, or not even happen this year
Tyrantblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
And do you ?

Bought one and returned it the same day

It was the Chronomat . . the watch I always dreamed of

Until it was on my wrist for some time . . . it really felled and looked 'cheap' compared to my Rolex

Hey . . . is just me probably
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 12:45 PM   #3
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I don't like anything Breitling offers. I wouldn't wear a single one of their watches over anything that Rolex / AP sell.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 12:48 PM   #4
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Was really set on a 'ling for my first watch, after years of being a member of breitlingforums and never visiting here. I bought a vintage Rolex and have a long list of desires ahead f breitling now. However they were $2700-3k NIB from grey dealer for a diamond dial MOP chronomat or a navitimer on leather.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I've seen plenty of blinged up Rolexes, usually worn by rappers, which are absolute aberrations to the senses. I've never seen a blinged up Breitling.

The thing I've found with Breitling is that, like Panerai, they seem (to me at least) to wear enormous. As a wearer of a DSSD D-Blue, that might sound a little strange but it is what it is.

Breitling don't generally hold their value as well as Rolex either. Go into a Breitling dealer here and you're offered 20% discount straight off the bat.

I always wanted a Breitling Airwolf Raven but since they've been long discontinued, it's not going to happen unless I buy used.

I'm a Rolex fan and, at this juncture, would not add a reference from any other manufacturer to my small collection. Don't get me wrong, not every Rolex blows my skirt up. As just one example, I consider the YM II to be hideous (apologies owners, no offence intended) and if I was given one free, I wouldn't even open the box.

Thing is, there are plenty of Breitling fans, just as there are those who favour Rolex, PP, AP, ALS, Tag, Omega, G-Shock, Timex, whatever. What you're not going to find are millions of people singing the praises and bigging up Breitling on a Rolex forum. The name should give it away a bit

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 12:55 PM   #6
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
i don't like anything breitling offers. I wouldn't wear a single one of their watches over anything that rolex / ap sell.
x2
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Well I checked them out when I visited the Breitling Boutique in Las Vegas. The rep was very knowledgable and told me they were moving to all in-house movements over time.

Their designs are not for me…it starts with how thick most of their watches are. And resale, as you said, is a tough deal. Polished watches and bracelets they offer are too much for my tastes.

But I certainly did my homework and considered the brand. Ended up buying a Tudor for my third watch.
Old 7 February 2016, 01:05 PM   #8
kamalrae
"TRF" Member

I had a Hercules. Not really sure why I bought it but it sat in a case for much of 5 years before I sold it (for a fraction of what I bought it for). For me it was too bulky and heavy so at the time I would rotate through my tags and milgaus gv. I like the look of their worldtimer but I would never buy another Breitling.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
kamalrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

Ive worn numerous watches in the 42mm-45.5mm size, most as thick or slightly thicker than a DSSD, so i know a full size dive watch will fit me well as the higher side of that range fits me the best, the only thing is ive only ever had budgets watches so far, so when it is time that i can buy an Avenger II GMT or Avenger II Seawolf it will be my first luxury Swiss watch

I don't think you can expect a Breitling that can be bought used at less than $3000 to compete with a $10000 DSSD or AP in terms of raw quality, but i know Breitling is still a known quality and should blow any budget watch out of the water

I like some of the Rolex and AP designs, but will probably never own any model of either brand that i like and would fit me well, the money difference between breitling and those 2, as ive said above is quite high
Old 7 February 2016, 01:12 PM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
I don't like anything Breitling offers. I wouldn't wear a single one of their watches over anything that Rolex / AP sell.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrantblade View Post

And lastly, you have some that don't think its a brand that is really worth what they cost, at retail maybe that could be true as you can find way better deals, but you gotta look at that as not just value on the watch, but also whatever warranties you get and the service you get from the place you buy it at
Apart from what I've written previously, I'm not sure I agree with this either.

In the UK, Lexus customer service is legendary. It always comes out on top in the JD Power surveys, as well as numerous others. However, what is probably one of the UK's largest and most popular motoring magazines, What Car? seldom recommend Lexus as there are other cars that do a much better job for similar money. They normally get compared with, and trounced by, BMW. I've been away from the UK for three years so things might have changed, but that's the way it always was.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

Im just saying thats part of what you get for retail or at an AD or boutique instead of gray market or used, and that's part of the value

Of course if you just want the best price that $4500 breitling used may only cost you half that, in which case you gotta compare them to snother watch you could buy at the same price, in which instance breitling cant be as bad as dome people think of them as
Old 7 February 2016, 01:35 PM   #13
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Can't stand Breitling, mostly for all the reasons the OP listed and tried to explain away... Sorry, they are completely valid negatives and the watches look silly to me, JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:36 PM   #14
Mosbrook
"TRF" Member

With the exception of the Transoceanic and similar pieces, trying to tell time from a breitling is like finding Waldo in a crowded cartoon.
Mosbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:46 PM   #15
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116660
I love the Chronomat and Navitimer line, also the Bentley models are very nice. I can see why many Rolex people would not consider Breitling due to the sizes of many of their watches, are 46mm and above. But as a brand I am a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:48 PM   #16
swils8610

Had a couple Breitlings years ago. Long sold them off and lost my ass. Not worth the money IMHO....they almost all use ETA movements although some have the new BO1 in house movement. Omega is a much higher quality watch for the money. I do like the look of the Navitimer but wouldn't own one.
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 01:55 PM   #17
swils8610

IMHO Breitling should be more in line with Tag. Tudor is a better value for the money. To each there own.....I do like Avenger with the yellow dial and on the black rubber strap.
Old 7 February 2016, 01:58 PM   #18
swils8610

Not to hijack the thread but the new Oris 65 is amazing for the money.
Old 7 February 2016, 02:37 PM   #19
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Buy right with Breitling and you'll be fine. While some of their models are too busy for me and some leave me scratching my head, this one still makes me smile.

jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 03:00 PM   #20
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Buy right with Breitling and you'll be fine. While some of their models are too busy for me and some leave me scratching my head, this one still makes me smile.

Beautiful watch!
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 03:44 PM   #21
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
You don't have to like every watch a brand has to offer but seriously, I don't see how any WIS can say that a Navitimer isn't a classic watch.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 03:57 PM   #22
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

I own a Cosmonaut and it's a permanent fixture at my collection. I'm not a fan off the new models but like their classic line.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 06:04 PM   #23
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Much hate of Breitling on this thread and too much Rolex/AP kool-aid?!? I own both, just don't get why they don't get the respect from certain people. Maybe if they were all 40mm...lol
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 06:12 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

A vintage navitimer is the only watch I would want from Breitling.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 06:25 PM   #25
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
My Breitling is the opposite of bling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150204_164424.jpg (65.2 KB, 869 views)
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 06:32 PM   #26
LVSubmariner
Banned

Watch: Submariner 114060
Terrible watches...very poor compared to Rolex
LVSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 10:30 PM   #27
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSubmariner View Post
Terrible watches...very poor compared to Rolex
Every comparable Rolex is probably 3 times the money, so you should be getting a better watch, but i seriously doubt a rolex is 3 times as good as Breitling, only area i feel Rolex really could have an advantage is they use a higher grade stainless steel, but the 316L is standard for everyone else from budget brands all the way up to AP, PP, and VC.

Ive heard people describe some gen Rolexes as feeling tinny and cheap, probably due to their "less is more" philosophy AKA, only a couple models above 40-41mm and at one time their clasps were stamped, which should of never been the case for a $7000 submariner, so some can say a Rolex actually feels too light and cheap, not solid enough
Old 7 February 2016, 10:39 PM   #28
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

And then if you are comparing the DSSD to an Avenger II Seawolf, the DSSD costs 3-5 times as expensive as the Avenger II Seawolf, again, not really worth the cost

The only reason to compare a Breitling to a Rolex and say Rolex wins is if you are a watch snob and feel you have to say anything cheaper than a Rolex or maybe a Tudor is complete Trash, if thats the case, you may as well say almost any watch brand out there is trash as most are gonna fall way below the price of a Rolex

You really should make comparisons based off of same case size, thickness, and cost, any other way doesn't make sense

While we are at it, wanna compare Breitling to Seiko in the same way as Breitling costs loads more thsn Seiko and you like to compare watches in way different price ranges?
Old 7 February 2016, 10:46 PM   #29
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
You don't have to like every watch a brand has to offer but seriously, I don't see how any WIS can say that a Navitimer isn't a classic watch.
Agreed.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 01:20 AM   #30
phozenstone
"TRF" Member

Not all Breitlings have a polished look. I have a Navitimer Fighters which is all brushed

phozenstone is offline   Reply With Quote