The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2016, 12:54 AM   #1
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
How many turns ? 116613LN

By habit, I've wound the stem approximately 40 times on my past Rolex watches. They could be left off my wrist overnight while sleeping w/o issue. Not so my new 116613LN sub. Like clock work (pun intended) it will come to a stop sometime around 04:00 hrs unless I wear it to bed. Did not have this issue with my non date subs nor the Air King. Is this issue specific to the date complication due to the additional gearing, etc contained within the case ? Tia. Michael

Last edited by MikeyTX; 28 November 2016 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: removed wording
MikeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 01:03 AM   #2
edvine
"TRF" Member

For Sub should be 20-25 times, and u should do it early in the morning and wear it, then it can last for 48 hours. 40 times too much will be too tight for the movement and it may cause slow by minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 01:06 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I wouldn't think the date complication would effect the watch to that degree.

If its power reserve is not holding at least 40-48 hours, then maybe a watchmaker should look at it.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 01:17 AM   #4
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Something's not right. If I don't wear my Sub or Gmt for a month,I'll usually give each one a full 40 winds. I make note of the date. (My OCD). The next time I look at them, the date has changed twice. ie..wound on the 5th the date will be the 7th before the watch stops.

Now I'm not sure if they run 26 hours, 30 hours 42 hours etc, etc. All I know is it's always 2 days later.

Do you always rest the watch in the same position? Crown up, crown down? Not that it should matter but try changing the position and see if that helps. If not, maybe time for a service.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 01:57 AM   #5
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I wouldn't think the date complication would effect the watch to that degree.

If its power reserve is not holding at least 40-48 hours, then maybe a watchmaker should look at it.
It may have been the way I was winding it. I was counting both forward and backwards half turns. Then the alarm bell went off in my head shortly after having made my post. It is only the forwards turn of the winding stem that has any effect. As such, even though I was rotating the winding stem 180 deg and counting the backwards turn too, in reality I was only giving the watch winding mechanism 20 turns rather than 40. We shall see what happens from this point forward.
Old 28 November 2016, 02:05 AM   #6
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Something's not right. If I don't wear my Sub or Gmt for a month,I'll usually give each one a full 40 winds. I make note of the date. (My OCD). The next time I look at them, the date has changed twice. ie..wound on the 5th the date will be the 7th before the watch stops.

Now I'm not sure if they run 26 hours, 30 hours 42 hours etc, etc. All I know is it's always 2 days later.

Do you always rest the watch in the same position? Crown up, crown down? Not that it should matter but try changing the position and see if that helps. If not, maybe time for a service.
lol, it best not need service. It is brand new right from the AD. All plastics in place, etc. It will however never see the likes of the Dallas, TX RSC. I am blessed in being only a short drive from forum members Bob and Phillip Ridley of Watchmakers International fame. If the issue persists, I shall take it to them. I am simply not enamored of the RSC.
Old 28 November 2016, 02:45 AM   #7
Shaky
"TRF" Member

If it's not the winding Miss counting scenario that has caused the issue then may I offer another possible cause

I had a good friend who bought a breitling and this was doing exactly what you are describing. Whilst it was on his wrist it would run fine. If he took it off overnight or sometimes even slept in it, it would stop.
It went back to breitling who opened it up and there was a screw head that hadn't been tightened properly that was stopping the rotor and therefore stopping the watch from winding. They sorted it out and it was perfect after that.
It can happen on brand new watches!!

Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 02:49 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvine View Post
For Sub should be 20-25 times, and u should do it early in the morning and wear it, then it can last for 48 hours. 40 times too much will be too tight for the movement and it may cause slow by minute

To fully wind any of the Rolex watches with a 3 series movement it will need 40 full crown turns clockwise only as it only winds on the forward wind.And you can wind it as much as you like, as when the mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the mainspring barrel you cannot over wind.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 03:06 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
By habit, I've wound the stem approximately 40 times on my past Rolex watches. They could be left off my wrist overnight while sleeping w/o issue. Not so my new 116613LN sub.. . .
There is not a Rolex made that will stop overnight after it was fully wound.

In fact, to check the power reserve you do wind it 40 turns then set it down and wait for it to stop. It should run for 48+ hours.

Now, if you wound it last week and it stopped overnight this week, it's likely that you have been sitting around too much without wrist activity.
Old 28 November 2016, 03:12 AM   #10
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
To fully wind any of the Rolex watches with a 3 series movement it will need 40 full crown turns clockwise only as it only winds on the forward wind.And you can wind it as much as you like, as when the mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the mainspring barrel you cannot over wind.
This is, as I mentioned, what I discovered. It most likely is that I'd not been winding it correctly the number of turns necessary. Doing as I was, going 20 forward/20 back was in truth only reaching the midpoint of the winding cycle. If it persists, I shall as mentioned, take it to Robert or his son and have it checked out. Warranty or not, I'd feel more comfortable with one of them mucking about the innards of the watch than the RSC. Aside from which, motoring to the RSC in Dallas is an absolutely suicidal proposition the way people drive up there.
Old 28 November 2016, 03:17 AM   #11
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

In fact, to check the power reserve you do wind it 40 turns then set it down and wait for it to stop. It should run for 48+ hours.

Now, if you wound it last week and it stopped overnight this week, it's likely that you have been sitting around too much without wrist activity.
As you, padi56 and, several others have mentioned, I was in error with my winding of the watch. Giving it only 20 rather than the full 40 as needed. At least my caffeine starved gray mass finally realized the error of its ways.
Old 28 November 2016, 03:31 AM   #12
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Larry, is this 40 1/4 turns forward with the winding crown between the thumb and forefinger ? Or, should the 40 turns be of a 360 nature ? Meaning that I should be making at least 80 turns to the winding stem of 180 degrees ?
Old 28 November 2016, 03:46 AM   #13
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Larry, is this 40 1/4 turns forward with the winding crown between the thumb and forefinger ? Or, should the 40 turns be of a 360 nature ? Meaning that I should be making at least 80 turns to the winding stem of 180 degrees ?
40 360 degree revolutions. Your winding crown has a coronet on the side of it. Turn until the coronet is upright. Now wind and watch the coronet make 40 full revolutions. THAT is 40 winds. Only clockwise direction!!
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 03:57 AM   #14
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
40 360 degree revolutions. Your winding crown has a coronet on the side of it. Turn until the coronet is upright. Now wind and watch the coronet make 40 full revolutions. THAT is 40 winds. Only clockwise direction!!
Which means 80 half turns. That is what I will start doing. Or, just make 160 quarter turns. Either way, I will correct my winding regimen.
Old 28 November 2016, 03:58 AM   #15
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Which means 80 half turns. That is what I will start doing. Or, just make 160 quarter turns. Either way, I will correct my winding regimen.
Whatever method that floats your boat!
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 04:47 AM   #16
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol, it best not need service. It is brand new right from the AD. All plastics in place, etc. It will however never see the likes of the Dallas, TX RSC. I am blessed in being only a short drive from forum members Bob and Phillip Ridley of Watchmakers International fame. If the issue persists, I shall take it to them. I am simply not enamored of the RSC.
Even for warranty work you'd rather pay an independent and on top of it, void the warranty altogether?
Old 28 November 2016, 05:41 AM   #17
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

I figure it's my watch, my money. W I has an excellent reputation. They will not use aftermarket parts. http://www.watchmakers.com/www/servicesRolex.html Interesting read
Old 31 December 2016, 08:02 AM   #18
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Issue Resolved

So my sub now runs as it should. The culprit ? The gray market MOP dial I had custom made for it. Because the dial was fractions of an inch to thick with the MOP laminate affixed to the metal base plate, the movement of the watch could not be screwed in place. Seems the tops of the screws would not allow the caseback to seat properly. So, not wishing to be stuck with a dial they could not sell, the store I purchased the dial from simply left the screws out. Needless to say, the aftermarket dial is now removed and the factory dial is in place. It sure would be nice if Rolex would make the factory Serti dials available again. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 31 December 2016, 09:58 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Glad that you found the problem.
Old 31 December 2016, 10:06 AM   #20
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Interesting that they would deliver your watch without the screws. That is some poor service.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 10:48 AM   #21
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Gees guys, get a winder!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:24 PM   #22
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Interesting that they would deliver your watch without the screws. That is some poor service.
True this. I am sure they were hoping I'd never notice the winding issues and have the case back removed this soon. Needless to say, I would never send anyone local to them. Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. It makes me wonder if the owner even knew. I'd had business dealing with him going back well over 15 years and never had an issue of this kind before. I have a feeling it is the result of his taking on a younger business partner that is intent on growing the business away from just servicing Rolex watches. No biggie. Life moves on. The issue now is finding a factory Serti dial. With production having stopped several years back, they are getting hard to find. There are none at the ad's in the Dallas area. I've checked.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:25 PM   #23
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
Gees guys, get a winder!
Didn't read the entire thread did you ? A winder would not have helped.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:11 PM   #24
77T

Do you think the Ridleys could rework the aftermarket MOP dial to have proper fitment?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 01:16 PM   #25
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
At least you know how to wind a watch now. :p
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 01:48 PM   #26
HiloBeMagical
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 6205
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvine View Post

<Uh-oh>
OP, the only thing possibly true in this reply is that "edvine" may have sent his reply through Tapatalk. Other than that, every single statement is incorrect.
</Uh-oh>

Get your watch looked at. ;)

Hilo
HiloBeMagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 01:48 PM   #27
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Crazy .. Glad you got her figured
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 02:56 PM   #28
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Do you think the Ridleys could rework the aftermarket MOP dial to have proper fitment?
Nope. I handed Bob the OE dial this morning around 11:30 and grabbed a sandwich at Arby's down the street. The MOP dial was a true nightmare. The locating pins on the back were not as they should have been. Thus the date window didn't line up correctly. The MOP veneer had a hairline crack between 11:00 and 12:00. I have no doubt that the tech at the install shop I bought the dial from messed it up trying to force fit it to begin with. Phillip, Bob's son told me there was simply no way to make it work that would not result in a frankinwatch. I'm not going to sewer my sub. Eventually I will find a factory replacement serti dial. Bob educated me on what marking to look for. I am just thankful the movement wasn't messed up during the initial attempted install by the tech.
Old 31 December 2016, 03:05 PM   #29
77T

Roger that - if they couldn't repair it then nobody could without risking damage like you said.
I know this may sound far-fetched, but you mentioned how hard it might be to find a lone serti that would also work with your Sub - so what about sourcing a "donor" Serti Sub and then have the dials swapped from your Sub? Then you could sell the donor Sub with a black dial and do this for almost pennies out of pocket.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 02:17 AM   #30
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

I've thought of doing that. I did find one used on our forum but the listing is a year old. Before I stick my neck out to buy it if it is still available, I am going to take Bob R enhanced pictures of it to insure that it will in fact fit properly. There has to be a reason that Rolex quit supplying the Serti dials.