The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 November 2017, 12:35 PM   #31
Mercury2wo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
I wouldn't wear a watch like this. Neither would i allow it to take up space on my watch box. However, if you are positive the value will go up then it is up to you. Will you wear it? Or is it purely on investment grounds?

Well, it was more for wearing it rather than pure investment.
The plus was it was a small batch of limited edition that would appeal to fans of Stephen King AND watchmaking.
Mercury2wo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 02:43 AM   #32
Sknyaz
"TRF" Member

Its absolutely horological dream. My congratulations
Sknyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 02:44 AM   #33
Mercury2wo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sknyaz View Post
Its absolutely horological dream. My congratulations

Actually I didn’t put the money down finally!
Mercury2wo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 02:46 AM   #34
Sknyaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury2wo View Post
This IS the Pennywise the Clown version!
Inspired by the movie “It”

Limited to 27 pieces cos the Clown attacks every 27 days!!
27 years)
Old 21 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #35
Sknyaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury2wo View Post
Actually I didn’t put the money down finally!
Oh, Gosh. Something tells me you will regret it). Its not just brilliant horological piece, its poetry and metaphoric thing.
Old 23 April 2018, 09:49 AM   #36
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

A bridge too far, as they say, for most watch wearing circumstances. If you own a circus, absolutely money well spent.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 10:43 AM   #37
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
A bridge too far, as they say, for most watch wearing circumstances. If you own a circus, absolutely money well spent.
Well, I'd say a majority here work in the corporate circus daily. Perhaps the most apt daily watch one can have in such circumstances.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 07:57 AM   #38
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Well, I'd say a majority here work in the corporate circus daily. Perhaps the most apt daily watch one can have in such circumstances.
Yes, but do you think when your shirt cuff slides back and it is seen that it will truly build a sense of client/customer confidence or security in your conventional conservative corporate wisdom? I think not.

But rock solid night club owner wear.
Old 24 April 2018, 10:30 AM   #39
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, but do you think when your shirt cuff slides back and it is seen that it will truly build a sense of client/customer confidence or security in your conventional conservative corporate wisdom? I think not.

But rock solid night club owner wear.
I wear my cuffs rolled up (seriously, I'm not trying to be smart). And in front of clients I would much rather be wearing the Clown than my Datograph for example.
Old 24 April 2018, 01:12 PM   #40
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have seen a guy wearing this with matching boogle eyed cuff links.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 01:45 PM   #41
Watch Admirer
Banned

no
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:00 PM   #42
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I think it’s great but a bit disappointed with the metal caseback
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 09:54 PM   #43
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Interesting way to tell time, but no thanks, would not wear it if it was given to me, and you say yourself you won’t wear it with a suit and for you it’s not a weekend watch, if you have a big collection and want a goofy watch to wear from time to time sure, if not I would pass, save the money and get the ROO, now that’s a watch, for the price all luxury goods are overpriced, but I don’t think the TI or CE versions are too overpriced, maybe used will get you a better price, haven’t been following prices on those for some time.
To be honest I think you need to be a little nuts to get such a watch
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:05 AM   #44
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wear my cuffs rolled up (seriously, I'm not trying to be smart). And in front of clients I would much rather be wearing the Clown than my Datograph for example.
Appreciate that you are an individualist and not cookie-cutter, and the watch reflects your tastes. If you can pull it off, tremendous.

For me, not the statement watch I would choose, especially at the price point. We can agree to disagree. Wear and enjoy.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:26 AM   #45
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Appreciate that you are an individualist and not cookie-cutter, and the watch reflects your tastes. If you can pull it off, tremendous.

For me, not the statement watch I would choose, especially at the price point. We can agree to disagree. Wear and enjoy.

Of course, not everything is for everyone. It'd be pretty boring if we all liked the same things!

I would disagree however with your characterization of it as a "statement watch", I don't see it as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 April 2018, 11:30 AM   #46
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Back to the original question I would agree with others that a ROO or a Hublot may be more of the statement watch you are targeting.

Personally I'm not a fan of the ROO, I would (and have) make the choice of a RO instead. A little more refined.

Old 25 April 2018, 11:37 AM   #47
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like it and think it's pretty cool and imaginative but I honestly could never see myself wearing it unless I was going to a circus or a carnival and there are no longer many of those left. Unless you have 20+ watches or you really love clowns, I think you made the right decision. Regarding the other few watches you mentioned, I'd go with the, in this case conservative, Royal Oak.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 08:19 AM   #48
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Love this watch and the price but it’s more if the right watch wrong situation as you said this would eat out from a ROO fund

Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 06:18 AM   #49
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course, not everything is for everyone. It'd be pretty boring if we all liked the same things!

I would disagree however with your characterization of it as a "statement watch", I don't see it as that.

OK, then possibly it might be characterized as a bored collector's watch, that is, being for someone who has a good size collection and the same Rolex and Omega models as everyone else, and wants to shake up their collection, or have a conversation starter on their wrist. I get that.

As part of a small watch collection, it may be another story. And not sure of the OP's collection size.

I agree with the other posters here, when in doubt, or otherwise, an Oak first.
Old 30 April 2018, 01:00 AM   #50
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
OK, then possibly it might be characterized as a bored collector's watch, that is, being for someone who has a good size collection and the same Rolex and Omega models as everyone else, and wants to shake up their collection, or have a conversation starter on their wrist. I get that.

As part of a small watch collection, it may be another story. And not sure of the OP's collection size.

I think "bored collectors watch" might be a little harsh but I agree with your comment that this is really not for someone with one or two watches, it's hard to see it as a daily wearer for 99.99% of us collectors.

I don't see myself as a bored collector, and neither do I assume do in the vintage Rolex guys who focus minute variances from one vintage Rolex Sub to another (MKI, MKII, MKIII dial etc). I have always preferred to have significant variety in my collection and the Clown or Joker enhance that variety, the same way for example adding a marquetry dialed Patek would.
Old 11 April 2019, 10:24 PM   #51
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What if you have an Oak already?

On a serious (pun intended) note, is it better to get a Joker at secondary market at about USD12K to 14K (one of 88/99) available now or have one customized for yourself (color combo for tongue and nose) for USD16.5K and wait a year.

Am trying to get into independents.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:20 AM   #52
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
What if you have an Oak already?

On a serious (pun intended) note, is it better to get a Joker at secondary market at about USD12K to 14K (one of 88/99) available now or have one customized for yourself (color combo for tongue and nose) for USD16.5K and wait a year.

Am trying to get into independents.
is it better in what way?

anyways back to the topic...i love the clown watch as well as the joker and with the playful theme they take the stuffiness out of some people's regard toward watch collecting. besides, if one has kids they will absolutely love when they see mommy or daddy wearing it
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:34 AM   #53
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Yeesh no judgement to those that like this but I wouldn’t wear it if someone paid me $9,000

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:37 PM   #54
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
Yeesh no judgement to those that like this but I wouldn’t wear it if someone paid me $9,000

There’s half a catalog of Pateks I wouldn’t wear if someone paid me either. Same can be said by any of us about many different brands.

That’s the beauty of this whole game, there’s something for everyone and most of time we don’t all buy the same stuff. (Although this seems to be changing a lot as we’ve all seen).

My Clown says hello!

Old 14 April 2019, 02:14 AM   #55
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There’s half a catalog of Pateks I wouldn’t wear if someone paid me either. Same can be said by any of us about many different brands.

That’s the beauty of this whole game, there’s something for everyone and most of time we don’t all buy the same stuff. (Although this seems to be changing a lot as we’ve all seen).

My Clown says hello!

Great photo!! Love the strap you have on it, I can appreciate the uniqueness of the piece.

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 10:12 AM   #56
SharpyDave
"TRF" Member

Love it!
SharpyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 11:56 PM   #57
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
Great photo!! Love the strap you have on it, I can appreciate the uniqueness of the piece.

Thanks. Yes, the strap needed to be swapped out. Like with a lot of others the strap for this watch seemed to have been an afterthought.

Old 15 April 2019, 12:55 AM   #58
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
is it better in what way?

anyways back to the topic...i love the clown watch as well as the joker and with the playful theme they take the stuffiness out of some people's regard toward watch collecting. besides, if one has kids they will absolutely love when they see mommy or daddy wearing it

I like the design and concept of the watch itself.

The question essentially is - do i get one now OR for a few thousands more, i get to have one customized for me but i wait a year.

Seems like a no brainer. Just had to think aloud and get feedback from like minded and/or more knowledgeable people.

Old 15 April 2019, 03:02 AM   #59
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
I like the design and concept of the watch itself.

The question essentially is - do i get one now OR for a few thousands more, i get to have one customized for me but i wait a year.

Seems like a no brainer. Just had to think aloud and get feedback from like minded and/or more knowledgeable people.

I've seen a lot of the mock ups of the customised Clowns and only a few which attempted big changes, colour contrasts etc are appealing. My guess is in the metal they won't look great.

So, do you trust yourself and your eye as part of the process? If you do, or if you are going with some changes that are foolproof or subtle then why not.

Otherwise, just pony up for the regular version, a coherent design that you like and no surprises.
Old 15 April 2019, 01:50 PM   #60
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Actually it appears the ponying up is for the customized versions. The regular versions come cheaper. And that’s where am headed. Just need to figure out the logistics.