The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 February 2019, 03:32 AM   #31
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkztimez View Post
Thanks everyone for the compliments! Before, I figured mostly everything on the watch seemed original except for the bezel and pip. Now that someone’s mentioned the seconds hand it seems a bit suspect it could have been swapped at some point along with the dial as it matches the dial plots. Watch is running fine using Toolwatch, but should I take it in to have the watch mechanics looked at? The dealer i got the watch from (HQ Milton) is highly recognized around my area. It is a bit worrisome the more I realize that this could be a bit of a Frankenwatch prompting me to return the watch. The watch is a 5.6 serial and the bracelet is within the timeline (late 70s).

Is this normal for a watch this age? And also rare to have all parts original? Any other thoughts would be great and here’s a few more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the top pic the second hand looks to match perfectly....the hour and minute are darker than lume plots.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:39 AM   #32
donsidhu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub
Hi, nice looking watch and congrats on the purchase. Your bracelet clasp code of VC is correct for 1978, which is also correct for the 5.6m serial on your case (also 1978). The fat font insert is also correct (a quick check is always the top of the 4). The pip is a service luminova, which only costs about $150 to replace (if you wanna find a tritium pip and make it correct).

In my opinion the watch is good. I owned a 5513 that also had a serif dial, and was a full set (purchased from a guy who'd owned it for 20 years, but didn't know the history beyond that). I searched the web and found many serif dials on 5.6m serial cases, and I started a thread about this on TRF.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=616219

I think you did well with your purchase.
donsidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:41 AM   #33
Herkztimez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just one?!?
Here’s a pic in direct sunlight and outside. The hour and minute hands seem to have aged the same, but the seconds matches the dial. Is that normal? Maybe there’s oxidation of the steel hands that may be affecting the thin lume on the hands compared to the seconds?

Herkztimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:29 AM   #34
1675-David
"TRF" Member

what's not to like?
1675-David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:04 AM   #35
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
You bought a gorgeous watch from a highly respected seller of vinatge Rolex. I wouldn't let people on this forum obsessing about a slightly different color seconds hand ruin this purchase at all.

If you have any questions, reach out to HQ Milton, I am sure they will be responsive and answer your questions as honestly as they can.

Just don't overthink. You did well.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:51 AM   #36
05carbondrz
Banned

And this is why when everyone says “Buy from a big Dealer only” I laugh a bit inside.I see more Frankenwatches from Dealers than passionate Collectors,One is in it for Money,One for the love of Watches....I know who I’d rather buy from.It also takes a ton more knowledge to buy from a Private Party,No Warm Dealer Blanket statement of “all original”.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 07:08 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
And this is why when everyone says “Buy from a big Dealer only” I laugh a bit inside.I see more Frankenwatches from Dealers than passionate Collectors,One is in it for Money,One for the love of Watches....I know who I’d rather buy from.It also takes a ton more knowledge to buy from a Private Party,No Warm Dealer Blanket statement of “all original”.

Would a relumed or service seconds hand really constitute a frakenwatch? I don't think so. I think of fraken as non-Rolex parts.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 08:05 AM   #38
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Nice looking watch.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:33 PM   #39
chows99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
What is your definition of franken? To me, it means fake parts. This watch is certainly not a franken.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:31 PM   #40
ddaneh
"TRF" Member

Cool 5513, congrats!
ddaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:12 PM   #41
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I've learned over the years that you can worry yourself out of liking really nice watches. This one's really nice.

Don't overthink it. You've done well.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 03:04 AM   #42
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I've learned over the years that you can worry yourself out of liking really nice watches. This one's really nice.

Don't overthink it. You've done well.

+1000
I was just about to say the exact same as zapokee. That is a great watch. All looks fine. Don’t let the guys (and I’m guilty at times too..) here dissuade you.
I once posted a watch here years ago and it was ripped apart...and it was really due to poor pics that overemphasized or deemphasized certain characteristics, which can happen with iPhone pics and bad lighting. Turns out one of the best examples around. Just wear that watch and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 04:56 AM   #43
descartes
"TRF" Member

Crystal appears to be a top hat, which is incorrect for this watch (although some like the look).

I enjoy vintage and at one point had a pretty large collection, but the astronomical prices have taken the fun out of it. When a 5513 was <$5k (and red subs were <$10) you could sort of buy what you like for the fun of it even if you couldn’t be sure of 100 percent originality. Now, vintage Rolex are a rather large “investment” so you want to be sure everything is right, which is not always easy to do. And, mistakes can be really costly. (Not implying a mistake was made here).
Old 21 February 2019, 05:07 AM   #44
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 21 February 2019, 05:25 AM   #45
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Change the pip and wear the watch, enjoy it. It’s super nice, don’t send it back.

As long as the second hand doesn’t glow then stop worrying about it.

The pip can be fixed, I have a spare 1680 bezel that I think could be aftermarket. If you pay the shipping, you can use it and I can tell you who to send yours to that will repair the pip and match it to the patina of the watch for $65.00. Just mail it back after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:32 AM   #46
Herkztimez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just one?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Change the pip and wear the watch, enjoy it. It’s super nice, don’t send it back.

As long as the second hand doesn’t glow then stop worrying about it.

The pip can be fixed, I have a spare 1680 bezel that I think could be aftermarket. If you pay the shipping, you can use it and I can tell you who to send yours to that will repair the pip and match it to the patina of the watch for $65.00. Just mail it back after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks but I prefer non-aftermarket. I appreciate the offer! I hope to find a period core to bezel soon!

Herkztimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:03 AM   #47
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I know very little, but the watch looks nice to me. Wear it well
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 03:52 PM   #48
watchcaravan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Beautiful piece with great patina. Congrats!
watchcaravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:40 PM   #49
GuiltunderGlass
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hedonic Treadmill
I have somewhat of an obsession with serif dialed 5512/3s and I agree with Donsidhu as I have seen too many in the late 5M serial range for it to be simply someone cobbling parts together to make a buck. That is to say, stop worrying and enjoy your watch in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsidhu View Post
In my opinion the watch is good. I owned a 5513 that also had a serif dial, and was a full set (purchased from a guy who'd owned it for 20 years, but didn't know the history beyond that). I searched the web and found many serif dials on 5.6m serial cases, and I started a thread about this on TRF.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=616219

I think you did well with your purchase.
GuiltunderGlass is offline   Reply With Quote