The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 April 2019, 09:50 PM   #1
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

New old stock vintage Rolex - for what it’s worth

Hi all, I was wondering what are your thoughts on New old stock sports Rolexes ?

Are they getting tougher to find in the wild?

I have heard from a couple of mates that due to the new old stock condition, the owner/seller can shout whatever selling price he perceives as fair, is there however any “fair pricing” or ceiling prices for vintage/ neo-vintage watches in this condition?

Would love to hear some opinions on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchyouseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 09:56 PM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
NOS pieces from the 50’s and 60’s have never been easy to source nor been cheap. Depending if you talk about a standard Datejust or a gilt sports watch prices can be anywhere from fairly reasonable to crazy.
Old 4 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #3
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Ok- to be more specific , 5 digit sports models from the 90s, gmt II etc

Old 4 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouseek View Post
Ok- to be more specific , 5 digit sports models from the 90s, gmt II etc

I an sure they are getting up there. Rare for things to stay unused for 20-30 years. To me they are just old new watched but I am sure some consider them vintage.
Old 4 April 2019, 10:36 PM   #5
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
This seller seems to have the most NOS of any that I have seen, use his asking prices as a barometer.

https://www.sdwatches.com
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 10:51 PM   #6
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
This seller seems to have the most NOS of any that I have seen, use his asking prices as a barometer.

This is amazing . USA based ?

Old 4 April 2019, 11:01 PM   #7
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:

Wow, great site
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 01:19 AM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Couple of years go a NOS 1603 full kit brought 6200 at auction. Now that doesn't seem crazy like it did 2 years ago. Quality is disappearing into collections up and down the range.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 03:46 AM   #9
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Whoa. NOS 16610LVs non Flat 4 are $ 27,000!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #10
exador
Banned

I’ve never understood the appeal of watches that essentially you can’t wear.

I collect vintage Heuer as well as Rolex and was offered a NOS 70’s Autavia a few days ago that I turned down for that very reason.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 04:58 AM   #11
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:

You should post a little context if you're going to call out a particular dealer. Tony is a really good seller, but his prices on his best watches always lead the market - by a lot.

He's had that NOS Daytona forever. It didn't sell at $45,000 and I doubt it's going to sell at $75,000 (or whatever) either.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 04:59 AM   #12
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post

I collect vintage Heuer as well as Rolex and was offered a NOS 70’s Autavia a few days ago that I turned down for that very reason.
I'm super picky, and sometimes I need to bit the bullet and get a NOS watch to be happy.

It's getting harder and harder to find legit and honest mint five digits with their factory finish.
Old 5 April 2019, 05:29 AM   #13
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
You should post a little context if you're going to call out a particular dealer. Tony is a really good seller, but his prices on his best watches always lead the market - by a lot.

He's had that NOS Daytona forever. It didn't sell at $45,000 and I doubt it's going to sell at $75,000 (or whatever) either.
Excuse me? Im neither for or against this dealer. I don’t represent them by any means, not sure how I “called” them out but whatever, if calling them out is posting a link to their website ok....actually sounds like I ave them free advertising. We talk about trusted sellers on this website all the time...I could easily share websites to other dealers.... I’m sure he is fantastic dealer, any potential buyer should do their research, if anything I said they have the most NOS of any dealer I know.
Old 5 April 2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Excuse me? Im neither for or against this dealer. I don’t represent them by any means, not sure how I “called” them out but whatever, if calling them out is posting a link to their website ok....actually sounds like I ave them free advertising. We talk about trusted sellers on this website all the time...I could easily share websites to other dealers.... I’m sure he is fantastic dealer, any potential buyer should do their research, if anything I said they have the most NOS of any dealer I know.
use his asking prices as a barometer

That probably shouldn't be suggested unless you actually understand where his asking prices fall in the market.
Old 5 April 2019, 05:41 AM   #15
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
use his asking prices as a barometer

That probably shouldn't be suggested unless you actually understand where his asking prices fall in the market.
People are free to search the market all they want, I gave a legitimate source of the only dealer I know that has the most NOS, if he has the market cornered how is that not a judge on prices?? Just like DavidSW is a gauge of the market for current hot models. I gave one source to use as a barometer...thin skinned much? He must sell them because he is in business....

I’m out
Old 5 April 2019, 12:56 PM   #16
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
I never understood the appeal of an NOS vintage watch...unless you never wear it, what is the point? And why would you want a watch you cant wear?

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 12:58 PM   #17
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Quote:

ha...yes agree 100%
Do people like just looking at them?

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 02:27 PM   #18
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:

oh i fully agree with you and i think it may be there are differences in collecting styles. i suppose some that collect, gaze at but never use NOS vintage watches share the same style as art collectors. they get satisfaction from the hunting down of rare pieces and owning the stuff. we have done the same a few times with watches but eventually got bored and sold them off.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 04:04 PM   #19
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I’ve never seen that many NOS watches from a seller. That’s impressive.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 05:41 PM   #20
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said, although you shouldn't have to defend yourself. That 'Dr' bloke needs to wind his neck in. I wonder who made him an authority on the market anyway...

You post a helpful link which is relevant to the thread, and get flamed for calling out the dealer?! Probably did the guy a favour.
Old 6 April 2019, 03:13 AM   #21
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouseek View Post
This is amazing . USA based ?

Yes. San Diego. Tony. "justrolexes" is his name on here. A really solid guy. Did a really smooth deal with him. Great service.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:00 AM   #22
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Icon13

$72k for ‘that’ model of Daytona?!

Gawd, people are barmy haha
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:51 AM   #23
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Certainly some amazing stock!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:57 AM   #24
dhknola
"TRF" Member

He has amazing watches.

I feel like NOS watches are a conundrum in that you really should not wear one if you have it NOS; it becomes a safe queen commodity at that point. Sure you could wear it, but if you take 25 year old NOS watch and wear it for a even a weekend, it goes to mint/near mint with full kit, and is now worth 10%+ less than if it were left alone NOS.

I really feel like these true NOS watches are meant to be collected like art and coins and not meant to be worn.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:03 AM   #25
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I wish a 16520 was worth that much. Who knows, maybe in 5 years...
Even his non LV 16610s are overpriced compared to many listings on Chrono24.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 10:22 AM   #26
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATE-JUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Quote:

I hope to hold it for even longer time and therefore I push it higher If my intentions are to sell it I sure would've dropped the price but some watches I force myself to keep for my personal collection and increasing the price on them is one way to do so
if I can't replace it with a phone call there is no need to sell it, but wait what do I know about the market it's only my opinion
Old 6 April 2019, 12:46 PM   #27
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
I hope to hold it for even longer time and therefore I push it higher If my intentions are to sell it I sure would've dropped the price but some watches I force myself to keep for my personal collection and increasing the price on them is one way to do so
if I can't replace it with a phone call there is no need to sell it, but wait what do I know about the market it's only my opinion
That's what I thought about your NOS LV flat four - keeper - hence price where it is.

I have one too - not for sale
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 12:05 AM   #28
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bulova 3818
I have been a pipe collector for many years, I had a stash of NOS Peterson’s that I got from a UK dealer that was shutting down and found them in the stock room. I kept them in my cabinet for a while and decided to pass them on to people who collect NOS. As said above, there are collectors (of anything) that have different goals that we may have- in the case of pipes there are many who have static collections of NOS that they never intend to use. To them it’s not about investment as much as having a complete set of what was store inventory- a museum collection if you will. If there is a piece missing from their collection, they are willing to pay a serious premium to acquire the missing piece, this market price is driven up by supply and demand and what we may deem as rediculous, they see as the price to complete their collection.

I use everything I collect so I too am not inclined
To buy NOS but rather pass those along to those with static collections.
I admire people who want a museum collection, they are stewards of history and in 100 years from now their collections will be a reference point. It’s just not the way I choose to enjoy my collections.
jwrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 02:41 PM   #29
aknajera
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Holy cow! They have several NOS v serial 16600s.
aknajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 03:10 PM   #30
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
If my intentions are to sell it I sure would've dropped the price but some watches I force myself to keep for my personal collection and increasing the price on them is one way to do so
Or you could remove them off your website

But then there's always the chance of a sucker coming along, right?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote