The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 April 2019, 01:17 PM   #1
titane92
"TRF" Member

Just purchased 1675 GMT Master (my first vintage watch)

Hi all, I've had my eye on a 1675 GMT Master Pepsi and am very excited to have just purchased my first vintage watch. I wanted something good and knew I wasn't going to get something super special at my price point ($10k), but this one from 1971 (2880xxx) looked like a nice specimen for the money.

I have a short inspection period while I can return it, so I wanted to get some honest feedback from the experts if I have made a pretty good purchase or should return this one and continue my search.

1) Dial: Based on my research, it appears to be a tritium service dial from a while ago but it doesn't appear to be re-lumed or damaged (no reaction to a UV light as expected)
2) Hands: The hands don't match the dial (no reaction to a UV light either as expected)
3) Case: I asked the seller if the case was over-polished but he said it was good. Seeing it in the metal, I'm not sure I agree. The lugs I suspected the most (5 & 7 o'clock) are covered with an anti-tamper sticker. I've attached the images of those from the listing. The crown guard doesn't look too bad to me.
4) Bezel seems to be service replacement, but in good condition. Doesn't rotate easily.
5) Bracelet: It seems to have the original bracelet and end links but quite stretched out. Will likely put it on a leather strap.
6) Movement: I can't see the movement due to the sticker, but the seller said it was an authentic caliber 1575 and has been regulated to +10 / -5 seconds.

Anything else glaring that I'm missing?

Overall, I do like it despite some of the points above. I've been watching the major vintage Rolex channels, but don't see anything much better for at least 30-40% more which I'm not sure I'd like to stretch to.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm humbled by the wealth of knowledge and passion on this forum and hope to be wise enough someday to help a newbie such as myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial.jpg (232.1 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg side 1 resized.jpg (187.1 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg side 3 resized.jpg (198.9 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg side 11 resized.jpg (153.8 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg side 6 bottom lugs resized.jpg (95.6 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg side 5 resized.jpg (202.9 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg side 6 resized.jpg (212.4 KB, 691 views)
File Type: jpg side 7 resized.jpg (286.8 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg side 9 resized.jpg (201.6 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg zback resized.jpg (223.7 KB, 686 views)
titane92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Personally I think you will regret buying this piece. While $10k won't currently get you a great 1970s ref 1675, it's still a lot of money in absolute terms and you can get a very nice watch for that amount. I would prefer to see you buy a less trendy reference in great condition, or save up to buy a nice 1675. The value of good examples will probably continue to rise, but pieces like this will always be hard to sell.
Old 9 April 2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Danj338
"TRF" Member

Think I would continue looking
Danj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 04:40 PM   #4
chows99
"TRF" Member

How do we check the lug thickness with the sticker?

Seems like the dealer got trust issues. Other dealers do not have such practice.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 05:57 PM   #5
didyunt
Banned

You got this on my mind after I saw this post.
didyunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:28 PM   #6
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bulova 3818
I think it’s important to note that this may not be a bad watch for the right price. It’s not a perfect specimen by any means but as a daily wear it may be a fun watch that you won’t cry if it takes knock or two. Perhaps if those with the keen eyes can arm the OP with valid points with which he can negotiate the price, and what that upper threshold for the condition may be, he can be happy with it.
jwrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
My thoughts
This is from Crown and Caliber and they are not going to negotiate after the purchase. Take it or leave it.
This watch is pieced together and is nowhere near what I personally would expect for $10,000. Granted this just my opinion, but there are a LOT of watches you can get for around $10,000 that are very nice ....new and old, and this certainly would not make my list.
This watch is another sign of how silly things have gotten
All that said, it’s your money. If the watch is worth it to you, then enjoy it
Old 9 April 2019, 11:42 PM   #8
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bulova 3818
I didn’t realize this was from C&C when I made the above statement, figured it was a local jewelry store. I would have expected all of the observations made to have been noted by them in their description. My ‘82 GMT is far from perfect, simply because I have worn it regularly for close to 2 decades and it has been serviced (and polished by a well meaning watchmaker), but if I ever were to sell it, I would make sure it was disclosed and accounted for in the price. I would assume a dealer with a high profile and good reputation to be even more discriminating.
jwrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 11:57 PM   #9
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

I would return it ASAP. I don't mean to take the joy out of your purchase, but as others have said this is nothing less than questionable quality and the number is truly just a sum of the parts, which seem pieced together.

I don't think a $10k watch needs to come with a list of 6+ issues, all of which add up to a mess. If overtime you gradually wanted to source the correct parts, you are going to be well more than the "30% more that you don't want to stretch to"

This isn't an impossible to find reference. With patience you can find better for the same money or pretty great for a little more. If you just save a bit longer and can stretch to a higher range I think you will be far happier with the purchase.

That being said, if you are happy, enjoy the watch, our opinion shouldn't carry any weight greater than your own.
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:33 AM   #10
titane92
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate all the insightful comments and helpful guidance so far. The general consensus seems to be that this piece is not worth the $10k paid.

I do like the 1675 reference but don't want to commit newbie vintage collector malpractice by keeping this example.

I'm keen on a Pepsi GMT Master or even a Master II. Would I be better off spending $10k on a well sorted 16750 or perhaps even a modern, good condition, all original 16700 or 16710?
Old 10 April 2019, 10:40 PM   #11
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by titane92 View Post
I really appreciate all the insightful comments and helpful guidance so far. The general consensus seems to be that this piece is not worth the $10k paid.

I do like the 1675 reference but don't want to commit newbie vintage collector malpractice by keeping this example.

I'm keen on a Pepsi GMT Master or even a Master II. Would I be better off spending $10k on a well sorted 16750 or perhaps even a modern, good condition, all original 16700 or 16710?
Matte dialed 16750s in nice condition will not be found for that price.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think a 16750 could be a good purchase, or a tritium 16700/10. Especially if you can find one that is starting to show some patina. As mentioned, matte 16750 references are not significantly cheaper than matte 1675s, but gold-surround dials are definitely in your price range.
Old 10 April 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:

Not sure if you have picked this up before, but the vintage Rolex world whilst very interesting and rewarding, can also be something of a mine field, and can carry significant risk both for those new to it and even those who have been in it for while. Prices can vary significantly and can be very high as you are aware. This makes judgement calls all the more difficult unless you are fortunate to be able to bring expert knowledge to hand. Resale down the line can also be something of a challenge and I am aware of a few people who have ended up disappointed in that regard. The GMT 1675 model is truly a beautiful watch but if you have a doubt and if budget is also a factor, you could do a lot worse than looking out perhaps for a 16700 or 16710 as you have already mentioned. Both are younger versions with perhaps greater longevity and still with classic potential for the future. There are also still quite a number around for sale although wth increasing popularity this could change. I recently let go of a fairly clean GMT 1675 (from 1968) myself, preferring to go foward and stick with the 16700/16710. In the end however, it all comes down to whatever you are comfortable with. Good luck with your decision!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 12:15 AM   #14
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Matte dialed 16750s in nice condition will not be found for that price.
Disagree, they are out there. This one very close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rol...p2047675.l2557
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 01:15 AM   #15
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post

That would be about 25% higher than the OP’S target price of $10K. It’s also not a 16750 matte, which there were fewer produced. Show me one at $10K ( doubtful).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #16
didyunt
Banned

This is really nice.
didyunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 02:50 AM   #17
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Not sure if you have picked this up before, but the vintage Rolex world whilst very interesting and rewarding, can also be something of a mine field, and can carry significant risk both for those new to it and even those who have been in it for while. Prices can vary significantly and can be very high as you are aware. This makes judgement calls all the more difficult unless you are fortunate to be able to bring expert knowledge to hand. Resale down the line can also be something of a challenge and I am aware of a few people who have ended up disappointed in that regard. The GMT 1675 model is truly a beautiful watch but if you have a doubt and if budget is also a factor, you could do a lot worse than looking out perhaps for a 16700 or 16710 as you have already mentioned. Both are younger versions with perhaps greater longevity and still with classic potential for the future. There are also still quite a number around for sale although wth increasing popularity this could change. I recently let go of a fairly clean GMT 1675 (from 1968) myself, preferring to go foward and stick with the 16700/16710. In the end however, it all comes down to whatever you are comfortable with. Good luck with your decision!
+1. OP, this is excellent advice.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 06:21 AM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
posted by titane92 .....

I seriously doubt the seller will give a refund based on what a bunch of forum guys think.

You've already committed newbie malpractice - have the watch checked before the purchase - not after.

I'm keen on a Pepsi GMT Master or even a Master II. Would I be better off spending $10k on a well sorted 16750 or perhaps even a modern, good condition, all original 16700 or 16710?[/QUOTE]

$10,000 should buy a decent glossy dial 16750 or probably a nice 16710 set with papers and extras.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 01:38 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
I have a short inspection period while I can return it ...
1) Dial: Based on my research, it appears to be a tritium service dial from a while ago but it doesn't appear to be re-lumed or damaged (no reaction to a UV light as expected)
2) Hands: The hands don't match the dial (no reaction to a UV light either as expected)
How short an inspection period? Can you still return the watch?

Also, just FYI, old tritium does often react to UV light. It will glow white and die when the light is taken away.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:17 PM   #20
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post

Close to what?

A full set 1675 for $12k...

Love the papers... nice case too..

LOL
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Close to what?

A full set 1675 for $12k...

Love the papers... nice case too..

LOL
The listing indicates that the papers don't go with the watch, they are just papers. And the buyer has to pay extra to get the original insert.
Old 20 April 2019, 11:50 PM   #22
titane92
"TRF" Member

Hi All, I wanted to close the loop on this thread and use the opportunity to thank everyone for their honest advice. I ended up returning in the watch, so the search continues. I've learned a lot through this process and will certainly make a more informed purchase next time. Thanks again.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:26 PM   #23
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Doesn’t look good
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:40 PM   #24
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

C&C, hmmm, let me think https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=670347
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote