The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 31 May 2009, 06:36 PM   #31
jdc
"TRF" Member

not for me
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 07:25 PM   #32
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Most of Breitling watches seem to have too busy a face for my taste, resale is on a par with most comparable brands, I have an Avenger Sea Wolf in titanium, has an ETA2824/2 movement that is modified by Breitling, tis the most accurate watch I own at +1 second a day, It is a beast of a watch, very reliable, built like a tank, very thick but very comfortable, lume if needed is generally considered poor in relation to other brands, fit and finish on the ones I have seen close up is very good.

They have a very extensive catalogue catering for all tastes be it bling or beater, in house or modified, automatic or quartz movement.

Here's my Avenger Sea Wolf

This shot is interesting in the fact that it shows a stamped dial rather than applied numbers as a first glance would suggest.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 07:53 PM   #33
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
I owned this one and really enjoyed it but sold it to get my Sub. I wish I had kept it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chrono SO2 039eg.jpg (51.7 KB, 272 views)

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 10:00 PM   #34
Arby
"TRF" Member

I hope to purchase either a Navitimer or Bentley in the fall.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 10:17 PM   #35
chenx15
"TRF" Member

I like the breitling emergencies but not really a big fan.
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Not a fan but every RAF guy I know has one.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 10:33 PM   #37
rustedmetal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234 16600
I've been wanting an Aerospace since I first saw John Travolta wear one in Broken Arrow. I haven't been able to justify the money on a digital watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broke08.jpg (47.8 KB, 262 views)
rustedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 11:20 PM   #38
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I have admired Breitlings for years, but have never purchased one.

Are they as good as they look? I am rather surprised that more WIS's don't own one or two of them and they seem hard to resale.

Any discussion?
Nice watches, but they change to often, which kills resale, plus heavy discounting. Had one, decided to sell, which took forever.. I wouldn't buy another, also heard that servicing is very very expensive.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 12:51 AM   #39
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Breitlings are cool but those ornamental things on them bezels are just not for me.
Old 1 June 2009, 01:01 AM   #40
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
Breitlings are cool but those ornamental things on them bezels are just not for me.
I agree, most are too busy looking although I quite like this one (not my watch or image)

Saxon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 01:45 AM   #41
shandy
Banned

Loved mine when I had it and will have another again, Mine was very accurate and I found the build quality to be excellent, they do depreciate though! I think my next one will be a lightly used cosmonaute, I love that 24 hour dial!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 02:29 AM   #42
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Crap, unfit for purpose. I bought fiancee no 2 a Colt Oceane as we were both scuba divers. Her Breitling let in water and got ruined. I sent it back under warrantee but they said "I had screwed the crown in too tight" and charged me to repair it.
Old 1 June 2009, 03:02 AM   #43
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Great watch and I enjoy wearing mine everyday. I agree that Breitling makes a better bracelet than Rolex. It's heavier and just feels more solid with less of that "cheap out" feel of the oyster bracelet. I really like the navitimers and the Bentley 6.75 will be my next.
Old 1 June 2009, 03:24 AM   #44
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Crap, unfit for purpose. I bought fiancee no 2 a Colt Oceane as we were both scuba divers. Her Breitling let in water and got ruined. I sent it back under warrantee but they said "I had screwed the crown in too tight" and charged me to repair it.
For a quality world class watch, it shouldn't be possible to screw in the crown "too tightly"!

I agree Nathan! Don't blame you for your opinion of Breitling.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 04:43 AM   #45
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

This one was a bit of a grail Breitling for me a while ago but I couldn't get one at the price that I was prepared to pay.

Old 1 June 2009, 05:54 AM   #46
kcmo
"TRF" Member

I purchased a Callisto mid-size back in 2003. Had it for about 2 and a half years and enjoyed it. I ended up selling as the 34mm size started to feel a bit too small. I think they make great quality watches. If you're not into 'bling', then most models will turn you off.
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 06:10 AM   #47
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Great watches love mine, Super Ocean Steelfish!! their rubber straps are very nice specially the Ocean Racer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breitling SF 11.jpg (98.8 KB, 286 views)
Old 1 June 2009, 06:32 AM   #48
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
I agree, most are too busy looking although I quite like this one (not my watch or image)

Without a doubt the best looking Breitling I have ever seen (minus the band)..... Just incredible.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2009, 05:01 AM   #49
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
"The Stainless Steel/Gold Navitimer "Cosmonaute" is a beautiful timepiece...the original flew in space with Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter on Aurora 7. The Stainless Steel B1 is pure technology and functionality in a modern quartz movement.

Some of the nicest cases/bracelets out there IMHO. Coupled with their aviation heritage it's a great aviator style watch but with enough detail and styling suitable for wear on any occasion. They also sponsor a lot of aviation oriented endeavors...their sponsored balloon that traveled around the globe is in the Smithsonian Air & Space museum."

I just spent some time with this gentleman, and he remains loyal to the brand. This means a lot to me. While with him, I checked out the Cosmonaute, and I may get one.
Old 8 June 2009, 05:09 AM   #50
SubmarinerMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I bought a Breitling for Bently last year at the London motor show!! It was a fantastic watch but i had to sell it in January to fund for my LV Sub! Worst mistake i've ever made to be honest!! I really miss it!
Old 8 June 2009, 05:38 AM   #51
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
I took the liberty of moving this thread to a more appropriate section. I've always had mixed feelings about Breitling. It ranks very high on the 'recognisable watch' scale and thus equally on the 'replica' watch scale. They never 'lit the flame' in me. But..... the Superocean Herritage is a watch that I like very much. With this model they they dispensed with all the clutter and (although much larger in diameter) made a watch that brings us back to where it all began. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, Rolex Submariner et all
Old 8 June 2009, 08:00 AM   #52
Robertf

Watch: ND Submariner
My brother loves breitlings, but I've never been quite so keen. I like the navitimer, and a few of the older chronos are nice. Here is a poor picture of my one and only, a transocean. I'd love a panda dial top-time chronograph someday.

Robertf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2009, 07:14 PM   #53
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I have a Superocean with that "just right" size of 42mm which came with a steel strap. I later bought a black rubber one that says "breitling" on it plus a calf-skin leather breitling-like strap from Amazon which cost about $18.

With all those straps, I can get 3 very different looks from the same watch. For some reason, Breitling's case designs lend them that kind of versatility that allows them to go from "bling" to tool, which I think adds to their bang-for-buck value.
Old 8 June 2009, 09:27 PM   #54
BeeMee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
I always admired the Navitimer. It was one of the first larger watches, before many companies were selling big watches. I often considered buying one, but it was fairly thick. That was at a time when smaller, thin watches "were in".

However, when I heard that Breitling was going to discontinue the "Old" Navitimer, I decided to buy one. I purchased it with the leather band as I did not feel that a stainless band was worth an extra $1000 on a $3200 watch (the list price when I bought mine).

The Navitimer is pretty rugged. I have had a rubber band on the watch and wore it swimming and snorkling, but was very careful not to press on either of the pushers while the watch was wet. It held up just fine, but I think that for a watch that is waterproof rated, it should have a screw down crown, not just a push/pull crown.

I wore it regularly for a few years, but when I bought my TT Daytona, I switched back and forth between the Navitimer and the Daytona as my daily watch.

Now that I have my GMT IIC, the Navitimer and the Datoyna get less wrist time. I am sure that once the new wears off on the GMT, I will start switching between the Navitimer and the GMT as daily watches. I mostly wear the Daytona when I get dressed in slacks and a sport shirt.
Rolex Day-Date, Bark Finish (recently gifted to son #2)
Rolex Daytona, 18K/SS (recently gifted to son #1)
BeeMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2009, 01:59 PM   #55
grex
"TRF" Member

My favorite before I got my expy 2. Still love it. Got a Colt Chrono.
grex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 02:53 AM   #56
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I own a Breitling Superocean Steelfish and love it.

Solid, excellent finish, great lume, very readable dial. The bracelet is awesome. I think that for the moment they are underpriced for the build quality they represent.
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 06:13 AM   #57
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
My Steelfish

beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 07:48 PM   #58
exxondus
"TRF" Member

great watches...but cant afford to have one
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 11:41 PM   #59
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMee View Post
I always admired the Navitimer. It was one of the first larger watches, before many companies were selling big watches. I often considered buying one, but it was fairly thick. That was at a time when smaller, thin watches "were in".

However, when I heard that Breitling was going to discontinue the "Old" Navitimer, I decided to buy one. I purchased it with the leather band as I did not feel that a stainless band was worth an extra $1000 on a $3200 watch (the list price when I bought mine).

The Navitimer is pretty rugged. I have had a rubber band on the watch and wore it swimming and snorkling, but was very careful not to press on either of the pushers while the watch was wet. It held up just fine, but I think that for a watch that is waterproof rated, it should have a screw down crown, not just a push/pull crown.

I wore it regularly for a few years, but when I bought my TT Daytona, I switched back and forth between the Navitimer and the Daytona as my daily watch.

Now that I have my GMT IIC, the Navitimer and the Datoyna get less wrist time. I am sure that once the new wears off on the GMT, I will start switching between the Navitimer and the GMT as daily watches. I mostly wear the Daytona when I get dressed in slacks and a sport shirt.
i thought buying my gmt2c would kill my desire for a breitling but it hasn't. it will be my next purchase, they make the most robust chrono's on the market in my opinion and their bracelets are great.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2009, 12:54 AM   #60
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Never owned one but think they are great looking watches.