The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2016, 03:34 AM   #1
twoweeled
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Hulk
Why is there no love for Panerai 531 GMT

I'm new to the Panerai world and doing my reading. While in Las Vegas, I had a chance a while back to try on the 531 GMT. I really like it! A lot! Of course they wouldn't budge an inch on the price.
As I look for reviews and opinions on the 531, I feel there is no love for this model 531. What little I read, tells me professional reviewers like it - but opinions here are indifferent, at best? I also notice there isn't much love for steel bracelets (which I also like)on other models, but this I sorta understand.
I just don't understand the lack of love for the 531 GMT. Is it just the general look? The movement is good from what I read. Iffy on earlier 9000, but ?
I'm also liking the 351, but I'm really curious about the feelings on 531.
twoweeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2016, 04:14 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You like it, you buy it. Who cares what the Internet says. That's what I did 5 years ago with my 164 and I love it today like I did before I bought it.

For me, the 531 is a bit confused, with the more modern (for Panerai) dial and sword hands with the ecru (faux patina) lume of an older style. For me, I'd rather an 88.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2016, 04:42 AM   #3
twoweeled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
You like it, you buy it. Who cares what the Internet says. That's what I did 5 years ago with my 164 and I love it today like I did before I bought it.

For me, the 531 is a bit confused, with the more modern (for Panerai) dial and sword hands with the ecru (faux patina) lume of an older style. For me, I'd rather an 88.
I understand. It's just my nature to look at the value, in addition to my attraction to it. From what I read, the movement is probably better on the 531. Yet I do notice many people prefer the 88. I have heard about the faux patina, and the preference of other hands.
I think I'm trying to avoid hearing; "oh no! That's the 2nd most hated watch made by Panerai, because,,,". I'm feeling Panerai's traditional look plays a big part, rather than some hidden issue with the 531. The well liked 351 isn't too difficult to like either.
Thanks a lot for the light you shed on the 531.
Old 24 October 2016, 07:38 PM   #4
beaujarle
"TRF" Member

Love the 531...not too busy, not too simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMT II K Serial, Submariner TT LB Milgauss GV and PAM 111 - FLIPPED!!
Oris TT3 Day/Date, Seamaster 2254.50
beaujarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2016, 09:26 PM   #5
gav329
"TRF" Member

I hadn't seen that model before and I must admit it's way too busy for me personally. I get watches that are GMT's I've got one, and I get chronographs but I think the unique shape of Panerai cases along with their unique font don't really go with doing a dial with so much on it.

I personally think the beauty of Panerai is clear font against usually a black dial although the white also is nice, and minimal other details such as maybe a date or maybe a small seconds hand at most.

Sorry I am "agreeing" with your findings however it's your money your watch and you should enjoy whatever you wish, it doesn't matter what we all think. Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 12:45 AM   #6
twoweeled
"TRF" Member

Beautiful picture! When I tried it on, I really loved it. I also like the simpler look of the 351, but at the same time I like the more modern/business look of the 531. Not too busy for me (Breitling is way too busy for me). Relative to other Panerai's, I understand "too busy". Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position to buy two pieces (531 or 531). It'll probably have to be one or the other. I'm getting the feeling it's just a simple matter of individual taste (like all of you have pointed out). I was worried there was some underlying problem with the 531. Not a lot of talk or sales of the 531 (from my perspective). The 531 is Beautiful!
I may be wiring some money in the near future, thanks to you guys! :)
Old 26 October 2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I almost bought the 533 and during my hunting, I tried the 531. I was initially tempted because it was a few thousand cheaper than the 533. I found the dial too busy for my own personal taste. However as Cru says, it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. As long as you love it then that's all that matters

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 12:32 AM   #8
twoweeled
"TRF" Member

I also like the 533. As you point out, it is a few thousand more. Immediately, I visualize a teeter totter with the 533 on one side and food on the other side. : )
Business on the dial appears to be the detractor, regarding the 531. I can live with that. Still thinking 351 is in the mix. Thank you for your thoughts.