The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2016, 08:43 PM   #31
pakal
"TRF" Member

I wish I had your wrist! The 47mm 422 fits perfectly on your wrist. Ditch your girlfriend and buy the 422 !!! LOL
pakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:44 AM   #32
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Both look great, and you should have no hesitation with the 422 if that's what you prefer - the fit is that good on you!

Have you considered a destro model like the 557?

Thanks! I have considered a Destro but I am really loving the sapphire (vs plexi) and power reserve on the 422. But it is a fair question since I'm left handed and wear watches on my right wrist (as you picked up). I'll give it some thought before pulling the trigger.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:07 AM   #33
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
422 look great on you
Old 23 July 2016, 01:56 AM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
Thanks! I have considered a Destro but I am really loving the sapphire (vs plexi) and power reserve on the 422. But it is a fair question since I'm left handed and wear watches on my right wrist (as you picked up). I'll give it some thought before pulling the trigger.

368 is another awesome destro to consider.

good luck with the hunt!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:04 AM   #35
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
After seeing the pics - the 422 is perfect on you. After a few days you'll be totally acclimated to the way it wears.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:06 AM   #36
Jcgul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would you say that if I mentioned that I remeasured my wrist and it's 7.75"? I can't figure out why it looks a little "too big." I'm going back to the boutique tomorrow to take some pictures and hopefully I can get some reassurance here before I buy.
My wrist is 7.2, and I'm a pretty built 5'10" 215lbs, and I think the 372 looks perfect on my wrist, so you are totally in the clear, especially considering you won't be wearing it with a suit/cuffs every day. Enabling is what we are here for!
Jcgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:07 AM   #37
Jcgul
"TRF" Member

422 takes the cake!
Jcgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:18 AM   #38
psv
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing a lot of details that go into your decision making criteria - very helpful. And what a lovely problem to have! :-)

Since you are a buy-and-hold type of guy, I would put some extra reflection into this purchase. Panerai was instrumental is driving the big watch trend from the late 90-ies until it peaked a few years back. The market/industry is definitely moving back into more moderately sized pieces, even if the large watch segment will never go away, but having said that I would reflect upon that more deeply to ensure that you really want/need a big watch like the 422. Same goes for the popularity of Panerai in general, I would argue, but again, it will always have a loyal following. Just advising you to be 100% sure.

With those caveats, I think the 422 works on you, and that is the best looking design. If you don't want the second hand, I would definitely recommend a base 372, even pick up a mint used one for under $6,000 and be done with it. Spend the saved money on some nice custom straps and put the rest towards the engagement ring for your girlfriend! :-)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 04:25 AM   #39
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Thanks for sharing a lot of details that go into your decision making criteria - very helpful. And what a lovely problem to have! :-)

Thanks for a thought provoking reply!

Quote:
Since you are a buy-and-hold type of guy, I would put some extra reflection into this purchase. Panerai was instrumental is driving the big watch trend from the late 90-ies until it peaked a few years back. The market/industry is definitely moving back into more moderately sized pieces, even if the large watch segment will never go away, but having said that I would reflect upon that more deeply to ensure that you really want/need a big watch like the 422. Same goes for the popularity of Panerai in general, I would argue, but again, it will always have a loyal following. Just advising you to be 100% sure.

With those caveats, I think the 422 works on you, and that is the best looking design. If you don't want the second hand, I would definitely recommend a base 372, even pick up a mint used one for under $6,000 and be done with it.
Man, this is tough. I hear you 100%. Until I started looking at PAMs I was firmly on the "modest size" train--my Sub is a classic size, and I was considering a Reverso, a Portuguese, etc. All "classically" sized pieces. But the tough part is that other than a Datejust II (silver stick dial, white gold bezel), nothing I saw or tried on really got me fired up and feeling good about spending the money. I must have tried on two or three dozen watches as I prepped for this purchase. If I thought I'd get use out of a dress watch there are certainly some gorgeous pieces from Patek and JLC, and if I could justify spending $30k I'd have a platinum Day-Date. If the new Daytona weren't selling at a major premium I'd also consider that, and the stainless steel/white dial versions are extremely hard to come by.

So I feel like I've almost arrived at Panerai by process of elimination: I've loved the Luminor design as long as I've been into watches and like the idea of an iconic piece that is versatile and easy to change the look of with straps. And since I know I want a new piece (I've had a hell of a rough year and want to get something new to enjoy), PAM seems to be the right way forward. I also like the sort of boldness that this watch seems to convey aesthetically, especially since my personal style tends to be a little more restrained; this piece feels like a nice way to accent/bring a little flash to what I'm wearing.

But I also worry that what you pointed out--the move toward smaller watches--will leave this big PAM looking in poor taste/style in 15 years. Hard to say. It definitely gives me pause. Right now I feel like I could fit this piece into my wardrobe/style easily, but I have this nagging concern that you articulated. Thoughts? More points for me to consider based on this?

Quote:
Spend the saved money on some nice custom straps and put the rest towards the engagement ring for your girlfriend! :-)

Good thinking on straps. But engagement ring?? Nah! We've been together (and lived together) longer than many married couples we know but just aren't the marriage/kids type! Maybe just a little unconventional. :)
Old 23 July 2016, 01:29 PM   #40
psv
"TRF" Member

Ha, I like your way of thinking! :-)

15 years from now... hard to say, keep in mind that you will be pushing 50 and do you see yourself walking around with a 47mm watch by then?

Other big option would be a Rolex DSSD, AP Diver (did you try it on?) or the IWC Big Pilot (the new 2016 model).

But if the 422 checks all the boxes, go with that. Life is too short not to wear a watch you don't adore! :-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 07:52 AM   #41
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
422 all day every day!!! You won't regret it!!!

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 08:00 AM   #42
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Here's a pic of mine on an Aaron Bespoke charcoal grey croc strap with gold stitching...superb!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.0 KB, 153 views)

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Old 24 July 2016, 08:10 AM   #43
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdon View Post
Here's a pic of mine on an Aaron Bespoke charcoal grey croc strap with gold stitching...superb!!!!

Looks FANTASTIC. Is Aaron Bespoke the same Aaron as Combat Straps? I may have to get that same strap from him.
Old 24 July 2016, 08:43 AM   #44
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks FANTASTIC. Is Aaron Bespoke the same Aaron as Combat Straps? I may have to get that same strap from him.
Yes that's him! Just received 2 straps from him. Both are SUPERIOR!!! I HIGHLY recommend him!!!

Old 24 July 2016, 10:05 AM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 10:33 AM   #46
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdon View Post
Yes that's him! Just received 2 straps from him. Both are SUPERIOR!!! I HIGHLY recommend him!!!

Awesome. I have a 422 arriving Tuesday (can hardly wait, my first PAM) and I've already got some straps on order, but I will definitely get some from him.
Old 25 October 2016, 12:42 AM   #47
andrewparts
"TRF" Member

Just read through your thread as going through a similar decision making process re the 422. Are you happy with it - was it the right size in the end?..any advice to share?

thanks
andrewparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2016, 01:35 AM   #48
carman14
"TRF" Member

very cool story.i see you decided on the 422, totally my choice also. congrats eyeheartny
carman14 is offline   Reply With Quote