The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 July 2017, 05:30 AM   #1
backporch
"TRF" Member

Gmt 1657/3 tt

My dad just recently passed down his Rolex to me. It was originally bought and wound by my grandfather, before my dad received it.

I believe its been quite some time since its been serviced.
Issues that I know of:
- The crown is very tough to unscrew.
- The bezel will not rotate
- It keeps very poor time.

The good news is that it starts running nearly as soon as I put it on.

I'm curious as to what exactly I have. I'm not going to sell it. My plan is to send it to a respected repair shop for a service, and then wear it on a daily basis.

From my research, it looks like I have a 1657/3 Two Tone watch, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details.
- The Rolex Crown is raised
- The 6 and 9 are open numbers
- Its says T SWISS T on the bottom of the dial
- The dial looks glossy, but it may be the reflection on the acrylic?
- The bezel has white/silver numbers, most of the pictures I see of these have gold numbers?
- The lume looks like it is uniformly aged- all the same color.
- It has hacking seconds

Anything else I need to look for?

After doing some research here, I'm currently planning on sending it to Bob Ridley. I live not too far from Arlington, and would be able to either drop it off or pick it up.

Thanks in advance for your help! Excited to get this thing up and running, and back to getting worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1076.jpg (279.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1079.jpg (267.4 KB, 241 views)
backporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 11:25 PM   #2
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Wow that's beautiful! Don't know if the bezel was replaced or not but I like it just the way it is. Bobs got an outstanding reputation and will get it serviced and running well again Congrats again on such a beautiful reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 12:03 AM   #3
saskmh
"TRF" Member

It looks like you've done your research and have pretty much all of the details already. That is a beautiful watch...and one particular model that I've been looking for in all original condition for a long time. It's a great model to have as a family heirloom. Congrats!

Just a couple of notes on your details: It is a 1675/3. The case will be marked 1675. The bezel is probably just gummed up with dirt. On these models the bezel didn't click, it was a push and turn.

Also, you've probably already read from a number of threads not to polish the watch in any way. That one has great character and appears to be in untouched original condition. The patina on the dial and hands match perfectly. Don't let anyone change any parts.
Old 26 July 2017, 04:12 AM   #4
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

"don't let anyone change any parts" you can keep your watch original but don't be crazy about what are called 'consumables' that are necessary to change to keep the watch functioning properly.

Crystal, crown, tube and gaskets are normal wear items and will probably need to be changed on your watch. That is a service crystal and a replacement will be just like that one. You can retain the worn out parts to keep the originality police happy but not really necessary. .

Take care of that watch and you can pass it down to your children. :) Here's mine!

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 12:04 AM   #5
backporch
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Good to hear on the bezel.

Richard, your's looks great! I'm not a big bracelet fan, so I was planning on swapping out for a strap, never would have thought of red and black, but it looks good!

Definitely just want to get it serviced, no polish.

Any thoughts on the bezel? Did any of these come with silver numbers originally?

Also, any concerns with this watch as a daily wear? Seems like they were build to work, but I'm new to vintage watches.
Old 27 July 2017, 01:13 AM   #6
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
"don't let anyone change any parts" you can keep your watch original but don't be crazy about what are called 'consumables' that are necessary to change to keep the watch functioning properly.

Crystal, crown, tube and gaskets are normal wear items and will probably need to be changed on your watch. That is a service crystal and a replacement will be just like that one. You can retain the worn out parts to keep the originality police happy but not really necessary. .
I guess I was a little too general with my comment. Yes, the consumables are fine and needed for a well running watch...Main points are not to change the dial, hands, bracelet, case, bezel insert.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:52 AM   #7
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The silver insert is correct as is the gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporch View Post
Thanks!

Richard, your's looks great! I'm not a big bracelet fan, so I was planning on swapping out for a strap, never would have thought of red and black, but it looks good!

Any thoughts on the bezel? Did any of these come with silver numbers originally?

Also, any concerns with this watch as a daily wear? Seems like they were build to work, but I'm new to vintage watches.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 12:10 AM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporch View Post
Thanks!

Daily Wearer? Most definitely. Ive got a 2.1m as a daily and just avoid swimming/water and rough manual tasks and thats it. I went to Costa Rica last week and didn't bring it...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 04:04 AM   #9
backporch
"TRF" Member

Great thanks!

Had a great call will Phillip Ridley on Friday and should be getting in the mail to him this week
Old 1 August 2017, 02:02 AM   #10
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
I have the exact same model. Bezel insert should be black and gold, instead of black and silver. Have it serviced, they are wonderful watches, and as stated, the bezel won't click, its a push to turn. Usually gunk and dirt get stuck under the bezel, and make it hard to turn. If you want a replacement crystal or bezel, PM me, I think I've got one of each at the shop
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote