The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 May 2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Watch Gift Ideas for Younger Brother

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get some ideas on a watch gift idea for my younger brother. He is receiving his Masters degree in a few weeks. I'm paying for a trip for him to take for his own personal interests/research (he is an architect). As part of his gift, I'd also like to pick up a watch for him. Ideally, I'd like to keep the total cost under $3,500 for the watch.

Based on his taste/style he is not a flashy guy when it comes to jewelry. He is certainly the creative type and I think he'd appreciate something a bit more unique. While the two watches in his "budget" collection are bit more on the dressy side, I think he needs something that his more like a tool watch that is not overly sporty/flashy. While he spends plenty of his time on the computer designing, he also does a lot of physical work with his hands -- hence me leaning towards a "tool" piece that can take a beating.

I had originally thought about the IWC Portuguese Chronograph but its a bit over budget for what I am looking to spend (unless those are sold for a big discount in the used market). I also thought Tudor might have some good options but I'll admit I am just not as familiar with their current product line (will be researching that more tonight).

I'd love any ideas members here can provide. If there are any architects on the forum that have some unique ideas, those would certainly be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 01:34 PM   #2
hsaeed01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP QEII Cup
Hand's down Omega Speedmaster! It is an awesome watch and you can find it within your budget as well. At least the Hesalite version. You can get it on a bracelet but also maybe get the leather strap so he can wear it both ways...
hsaeed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 01:57 PM   #3
meganfox17
Banned

Megan will now submit her entry
✓ Sinn EZM12 Limited Edition to 300 pieces worldwide, a Baselworld 2017 release
✓ 6 pieces are currently available on Chrono24 and the average price is pretty much US $3.5K negotiable
✓An unquestionable serious tool watch with an air of Authenticity and not some marketing gimmick. Your brother will love the watch once he reads the specs + reviews
✓ Unique Architectural bezel,dial and creative strap design, 4 handed with sweep seconds and a paramedic pulsometer
✓Heck ! The watch also comes with a free German made Böker pocket knife
Watch ( Excuse the pun) the video!
https://youtu.be/LX6lV0H1d9o
https://youtu.be/WOqgR05hbCEAlways remember Sinn is a Engineering company first, and a Watch company second
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I'd recommend an Omega Speedmaster.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Speedmaster is a good choice. I would also suggest getting a nice leather strap (and omega pin buckle) so he has the choice of both bracelet and strap. Personally the bracelet does nothing for me.

For sure there are many choices within the Tudor range, do look. Also Nomos is something you could consider but less so maybe if "tool watch" is the goal.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:19 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Maybe an IWC pilot petit prince edition if the Portuguese chrono is tad too much (gorgeous watch though)

https://www.bucherer.com/uk/iwc-le-p...&utm_campaign=[Shopping]_-_[All_Products]&adgroup=&utm_content=pla-391970628630&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy8GY75r02gIVy7vtCh0 98wHwEAQYAyABEgLNh_D_BwE

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:36 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Megan will now submit her entry
✓ Sinn EZM12 Limited Edition to 300 pieces worldwide, a Baselworld 2017 release
✓ 6 pieces are currently available on Chrono24 and the average price is pretty much US $3.5K negotiable
✓An unquestionable serious tool watch with an air of Authenticity and not some marketing gimmick. Your brother will love the watch once he reads the specs + reviews
✓ Unique Architectural bezel,dial and creative strap design, 4 handed with sweep seconds and a paramedic pulsometer
✓Heck ! The watch also comes with a free German made Böker pocket knife
Watch ( Excuse the pun) the video!
https://youtu.be/LX6lV0H1d9o
https://youtu.be/WOqgR05hbCEAlways remember Sinn is a Engineering company first, and a Watch company second
Cool watch.
Old 8 May 2018, 04:52 AM   #8
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Thanks for all the ideas thus far!

I am definitely warming up to the idea of an Omega Speedmaster, especially if I can get a nice black leather strap for it (think it makes the watch look so much nicer). Megan -- appreciate the very thoughtful and thorough recommendation. Unfortunately, I have a strong feeling he may not share your enthusiasm for the watch (mostly regarding the aesthetics).

From spending a few minutes on Omega's website, there seem to be quite a few references of the Speedmaster to choose from. Are the recommendations here generally for the "classic" Moonwatch Speedmaster Professional line?

Thanks again!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:02 AM   #9
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I came to also suggest the hesalite speedmaster pro.

You can find a brand new one with the awesome presentation box set for less than 4k. I think I've seen it for right around $3600.

It's a classic that will never age and looks great on the bracelet and every possible strap/nato you can think of.

I think it's the absolute best watch under 5k. No contest.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 06:09 AM   #10
hsaeed01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP QEII Cup
I had 311.30.42.30.01.005 in mind... get it with the bracelet and you can buy a black leather strap with the clasp... if you're not on a time crunch a few of these pieces keep popping up on the sellers section every now and then so you can keep an eye on that...
hsaeed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 10:50 AM   #11
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Speedy on a bracelet. A variety of straps can come later.
Old 8 May 2018, 12:40 PM   #12
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Thanks for all the ideas thus far!

I am definitely warming up to the idea of an Omega Speedmaster, especially if I can get a nice black leather strap for it (think it makes the watch look so much nicer). Megan -- appreciate the very thoughtful and thorough recommendation. Unfortunately, I have a strong feeling he may not share your enthusiasm for the watch (mostly regarding the aesthetics).

From spending a few minutes on Omega's website, there seem to be quite a few references of the Speedmaster to choose from. Are the recommendations here generally for the "classic" Moonwatch Speedmaster Professional line?

Thanks again!
I'm a "sapphire sandwich" fan, as you can see the lovely upgraded movement and you have modern durability. Get the watch on the bracelet and add a strap or two or three with deployants so you can get a few different looks. It's much cheaper to add a strap and a deployant than a bracelet.
Old 8 May 2018, 02:46 PM   #13
rolehex

Sorry I don't see a speedmaster as "a "tool" piece that can take a beating." especially hesalite.

I agree that an IWC pilot petit prince would fit the bill as a quality time piece that flys under the radar.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 03:38 PM   #14
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Sorry I don't see a speedmaster as "a "tool" piece that can take a beating." especially hesalite
Absolutely Sir. I agree with your assessment. I have 3 different Speedys in my collection and yet I didnt suggest a classic Speedmaster to the OP. I was merely trying to conform to the important criterias set by the OP so that's why I suggested a German tool watch (which I have a few btw).

p/s: The OP mentioned she intends to fit a leather strap onto the tool watch as a daily beater? Hmm..personally not really a good idea since I lead a very active lifestyle, a regular decent leather strap on my wrist as a daily beater will not last more than 3 months...
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:05 PM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I think an Omega Speedmaster Professional is ideal for an architect: its case is constructed with an intriguing blend of shapes and finishes, its dial and hands reflect its role as a technical, precision instrument, and the architecture of its chronograph caliber is fascinating (although it remains hidden from view by the steel case). It's elegant, purposeful, and handsome all at once.

I recommend Reference 311.30.42.30.01.005

I also recommend performing your own research on its durability, which is well documented.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 10:16 PM   #16
macct
"TRF" Member

If you are looking for something a bit less main stream, I would recommend a Nomos Campus. It is not a dress watch and not a dedicated tool watch. IMO, it would work well for him in the field, and can easily be dressed up or down. You also mentioned IWC. I would go with a simpler model like their basic Pilot watch. It may push the budget, though, while the Nomos is a great value.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #17
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by macct View Post
If you are looking for something a bit less main stream, I would recommend a Nomos Campus. It is not a dress watch and not a dedicated tool watch. IMO, it would work well for him in the field, and can easily be dressed up or down. You also mentioned IWC. I would go with a simpler model like their basic Pilot watch. It may push the budget, though, while the Nomos is a great value.

The Nomos Club Campus is hard to beat at $1600. And you can have engraved at the factory for free. Dress up/down with different straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 12:45 AM   #18
DLRIDES

Quote:
Sorry I don't see a speedmaster as "a "tool" piece that can take a beating." especially hesalite.

You do realize that before the 1980’s there were more tool watches than now, and they had acrylic crystals ..............................................

Although acrylic scratches easier, it’s far more resilient and “tougher” than sapphire.

The terms “tool” and “beating” probably have a softer definition than the “tool watch” era.

Old 9 May 2018, 05:39 AM   #19
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Tudor Black Bay :) DavidSW will hook you up for a good price
tudorbaja27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 07:42 AM   #20
gengar
"TRF" Member

I'd go with Nomos here for the versatility, although I suppose it also depends what his other two watches are.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 07:48 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Omega SMP or Tudor BB.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 07:58 AM   #22
DLRIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Tudor Black Bay :) DavidSW will hook you up for a good price
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Omega SMP or Tudor BB.

A Tudor BB, or even Ranger, wouldn’t be a bad choice, if a chrono is not wanted.

Don’t forget the Tudor North Flag If he likes something a bit more trendy. Excellent in-house movement watch that gets overlooked, therefore can be had at a discount.

Old 10 May 2018, 04:57 AM   #23
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

I would've actually went a different direction and got a more of non budget proper dress watch. Something he could wear with a suit to wedding or an interview. That being said, you can't go wrong with a Black Bay or Speedmaster.
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #24
Blaner
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 5513
Count me among the Nomos fans - I have an Ahoi that I love, and I definitely lean toward sport watches. Some of their Tangente/Tangomat stuff is a little too dainty for me, but Ahoi and Metro appeal to me and are great on multiple straps - Nato, leather/croc, and Perlon (my personal favorite as it's great in summer)
Blaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 01:15 PM   #25
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
These pop up just a bit over your budget every now and then: https://www.ochsundjunior.swiss/watches/date/

Perfect for a creative person looking for something unique and different.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 01:08 AM   #26
jason042779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 18038
I'd think an architect would appreciate accuracy and practicality. Black Bay, Steel version (for date function). Chronometer certified and tough.
jason042779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 01:27 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

speedmaster. Sapphire though as i don't get the appeal of hesalite at all.

or an IWC with an ETA movement.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 02:24 AM   #28
SeanotheDead
"TRF" Member

Watch Gift Ideas for Younger Brother

Quote:

I owned the Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 with Hesalite and surprisingly the Hesalite was very good for tool watch purposes. If it became scratched up you just put some Polywatch on it and the scratches buffed right out. If it became too scratched beyond repair a measly $60-80 would replace it with a new Hesalite crystal. If you dropped it on the crystal for some god awful reason the crystal would only crack not shatter which would make it a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than had it been a Sapphire crystal which can shatter and get inside the watch and possibly get debris inside the movement.

I don’t drop my watches so though so I wouldn’t mind adding a “Sapphire Sandwich” model in the future. Unless I get a Daytona instead to fill my Chrono fix.

At any rate it’s a much better tool watch than you think if your only downside is the Hesalite.

OP I recommend buying it on the bracelet as it will be much more costly for him to buy a bracelet later than it will be to buy a strap. In my opinion it saves cost to buy it on bracelet rather than going back and buying one separately. If you’re going to buy him a strap I’ve always loved the Speedy on Black alligator strap with deployment Clasp.
SeanotheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 12:50 PM   #29
Justindo
"TRF" Member

To me, the Speedmaster is the least expensive "real watch" one can purchase and it's a great value. Honestly, if I had to choose between a Speedmaster or a Daytona, I'd take the former. I also like Nomos, but they're a bit pricey in my opinion.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:41 PM   #30
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
The omega aqua terra is also a good choice.
Some grand Seiko can be found in that price range.
I can’t argue with the Speedmaster as the safest bet with a $3500 budget.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote