The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2019, 05:30 PM   #1
ghostrice
"TRF" Member

Wearing two watches / Rolex in Africa

Two topics really, but since I get the feeling you guys will beat me up for both of them, thought I go in for a gang-bang.

I live in Asia, don't go into an office, and really don't care what anyone thinks. 99% of the people I encounter have no idea what a Rolex is - the very few that do are pretty much the ones I should watch out for.

I just have Sea Dweller, nothing flashy.

Lately I've been wearing me Rolex on left hand (face out) and an all black Apple watch (face in) on right arm. I do it cause I have arrhythmia and some heart issues and I like to be able to track my HR all the time.

The other day at a bar another foreigner had a good laugh I was wearing two watches, essentially he was saying just frigging decide which camp I'm I'm and stick to it.

I love my Rolex, I've worn it for 16 years through 100+ countries. I'd like to pass it on to my son when the time comes. I guess I don't see the problem wearing the all black Apple (face-in) if I need to track my HR... Anyway..

Second point.

I've worn the Rolex in some very dodgy places over the years - Haiti, Rio and Indian slums, late night and places I probs shouldn't be in many countries. I've never hand an issue - just turn it face in. Worst in was a guy in Philippines who wanted to 'try it on' for a min.. lol

However, headed for western Africa next month (Addis, Nairobi, Somoliland, Mombassa, Zanzibar, Madagascar etc.. Really the only time I've actually stopped to think about how little I would like to lose my watch (history / not value).

But, I mean it's traveled through so many countries with me - hate to leave it behind. I do tend to end up at late night venues in seedy places.. but nothing else on me is flashy - long hair, beard, average clothes etc. Don't look like i have any money.

Friend suggested i put a piece of duct tape on the band, and wear the face inward.

Dunno. Paranoid?
ghostrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:55 PM   #2
superlativechrono
"TRF" Member

Having spent time there I would advise against wearing a Rolex in east Africa. Sorry to say it but the best thing that could happen is that it would be stolen.
superlativechrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:01 PM   #3
artschool
"TRF" Member

I don't think you should wear your Apple Watch either.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:55 PM   #4
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

OP, you haven’t had an issue in 20 years! here’s to you and your health! BUT, it doesn’t mean that you were necessarily doing something right. Luck, wrong time wrong place plays a factor in the quantum of time. A Rolex is a Rolex and in some countries, people got their hands hacked off for their watch.

Depends who you are, how you can handle yourself, are you alone or with family, etc. Speaking of being able to handle yourself, an Ex-SAS stated in an article posted on TRF that you should always carry a Rolex in those countries because it’s like currency and can be traded for certain things.

I sort of chuckle at the idea... I’m not ex-SAS but like some people on this forum, I have been trained by and been part of the Military and I would not use my skills (Haha Liam Neeson!! ) to tempt fate...

That’s like saying you should carry a stack of US hundred dollar bills because they are currency everywhere...

As far as the Apple Watch goes....

Lol... just kidding!
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:11 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't see and issue with wearing what you want and when you want. You have a very good reason to wear the Apple watch. Continue.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:22 PM   #6
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I wore my Explorer II in east Africa and didn’t have any problems. It’s all about your comfort level though brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:46 PM   #7
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrice View Post
Two topics really, but since I get the feeling you guys will beat me up for both of them, thought I go in for a gang-bang.

I live in Asia, don't go into an office, and really don't care what anyone thinks. 99% of the people I encounter have no idea what a Rolex is - the very few that do are pretty much the ones I should watch out for.

I just have Sea Dweller, nothing flashy.

Lately I've been wearing me Rolex on left hand (face out) and an all black Apple watch (face in) on right arm. I do it cause I have arrhythmia and some heart issues and I like to be able to track my HR all the time.

The other day at a bar another foreigner had a good laugh I was wearing two watches, essentially he was saying just frigging decide which camp I'm I'm and stick to it.

I love my Rolex, I've worn it for 16 years through 100+ countries. I'd like to pass it on to my son when the time comes. I guess I don't see the problem wearing the all black Apple (face-in) if I need to track my HR... Anyway..

Second point.

I've worn the Rolex in some very dodgy places over the years - Haiti, Rio and Indian slums, late night and places I probs shouldn't be in many countries. I've never hand an issue - just turn it face in. Worst in was a guy in Philippines who wanted to 'try it on' for a min.. lol

However, headed for western Africa next month (Addis, Nairobi, Somoliland, Mombassa, Zanzibar, Madagascar etc.. Really the only time I've actually stopped to think about how little I would like to lose my watch (history / not value).

But, I mean it's traveled through so many countries with me - hate to leave it behind. I do tend to end up at late night venues in seedy places.. but nothing else on me is flashy - long hair, beard, average clothes etc. Don't look like i have any money.

Friend suggested i put a piece of duct tape on the band, and wear the face inward.

Dunno. Paranoid?
Let us know how that turns out....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:08 PM   #8
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Should have titled this thread “Is it safe? Gang Bangs and Africa”
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:26 PM   #9
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
No, I personally would not wear a watch while visiting Africa.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:29 PM   #10
Chris722
"TRF" Member

One of my friends has his watch stolen in morocco , the watch was stored in the safe hotel room.
Chris722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 08:52 AM   #11
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
534B0BD7-6D3D-4054-A840-6CE0FFAAE474.jpeg
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:46 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Wearing two watches gets more attention than wearing one Rolex, if you ask me. And.....if I were not a watch guy, I’d probably notice you were wearing duct tape on your wrist before I noticed you were wearing a Rolex. I’m not telling you should wear it or not, but the solutions to hide it seem to bring it further out into the open.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Burlington
"TRF" Member

If you put it on a NATO or rubber strap it will be less obvious - ultimately it’s a risk / reward equation only you can know the answer to.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:12 PM   #14
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

For me i wouldn't think of wearing it at any dodgy places.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:39 PM   #15
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Why not wear three watches, two on the wrist and one like flavor flav...
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 01:56 AM   #16
raky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
I would never wear a Rolex to Africa. I have some family that lives in Kenya. When we were visiting, my uncle was driving us around. We literally drove past a riot on a street and later on drove thru a crossing with corrupt police officers with machine guns looking for a bribe. Not worth the risk in my opinion. This was 10 years ago or so but I doubt much has changed.
raky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #17
nick c
Banned

Please don’t.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 03:56 AM   #18
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I had some friends from Africa in college.
They told me that thieves would not grab the watch off your wrist or mug you.
They would just chop off your hand below the wrist and take both.
Wether they we're exaggerating or not I don't know.
Either way, there are worse things than losing your watch that you may want to consider.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:13 PM   #19
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Calculate risk and take decision. I wore Sub in many doggy places, but in East Africa I would rather use Rolex as pocket watch

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 05:11 PM   #20
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Some advise to wear a tennis band on your wrist covering the watch.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:01 PM   #21
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Went to Africa for 6 weeks with my Breitling. Not with Rolex IMO.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:33 PM   #22
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
gang bang or not you are asking for trouble wearing any the watches you have to Africa.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 07:18 PM   #23
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Gang bang must have a different meaning in Thailand ?
Old 20 January 2019, 07:43 PM   #24
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Gang bang must have a different meaning in Thailand ?

In Thailand? That’s the origin of the word.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 07:58 PM   #25
Robadob
"TRF" Member

I’m going to throw this out there, Africa is a continent of about 30.3 million km² including adjacent islands, with 54 countries and a population of over 1.2 billion people. Don’t be ignorant, as ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds prejudice etc. etc.

If I were staying in Accra I’d have no issue wearing my Rolex. However, if I were going to Mogadishu it would be a different story.

To the OP, I’d probably avoid wearing it in all but Hargeisa and Zanzibar. Outward signs of wealth are likely to make you a target in the other cities you’ve mentioned. Best to avoid it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robadob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 09:54 PM   #26
pickettt
"TRF" Member

I've said it before; If it's not safe for my belongings, it's not safe for the rest of me. That being said, I've never been to Africa but I don't buy into paradigms painted for us by others who have never been there.
Old 20 January 2019, 11:36 PM   #27
lew07
"TRF" Member

No do not wear a Rolex in Africa.Wear a cheap Quartz That You don’t mind handing over if You are held up.Lets put it this way .Would You walk around with the equivalent of cash for a Rolex on display in Your hand?
lew07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:42 PM   #28
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
Lets put it this way .Would You walk around with the equivalent of cash for a Rolex on display in Your hand?
I wouldn't do that here in the U.S., and I hear it's not a great idea in London either (but that's just what I hear).
Old 20 January 2019, 11:48 PM   #29
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I have been living in central Africa over 16 years now have traveled in western and Eastern Africa too. Never had any issue single with my watches.

99,99% of the population on that continent have more important issues to take care of that the watch you are wearing.

Old 21 January 2019, 12:32 AM   #30
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
I wore my Tudor on an african safari last summer. We landed in Nairobi late 12am and were shuttled to our hotel by our guides and then picked up early the next morning to fly to the maasai mara. Cruising around Nairobi is probably a little different
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote