The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 January 2019, 09:37 PM   #121
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
OK.

So it’s on.

Walked about 5 miles today and only had 2 beers after.

Had 4 poached eggs with tomatoes and a chunk of blue cheese and a few olives for lunch.

Apples for snacks.

1/2 gallon water.

No crunchables or beige.

I’m not even hungry and it’s getting late.

Hey - good start but kick the beers (for most the week at least) and leave the cheese out full stop.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 09:56 PM   #122
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Can I add my little story?

I have always played sports at least 3 times a week and been active but love chocolate, sweeties, beer, cheese and most bad stuff, so slowly put weight on until 3 years ago when I decided to tackle it before it got out of hand.

I dropped two and half stone in 3 months. To do this I increased my exercise (which is easy because I enjoy it and have the time) to six days a week plus a couple of miles a day dog walk.
I cut down on dairy, reduced portions and watched calories, stopped eating chocolate and reduced my beer drinking to two nights a week. I have kept the weight off and now cheat a bit on all fronts.

Some people say keep away from the scales but I disagree. I enjoyed regularly weighing myself and used an app which graphed the decline. Once I lost the weight I vowed not to go above a certain weight and if I approach it (like I have done because I over indulged the last 3 weeks) I am strict with my intake for 3 weeks rather than let the weight slowly slide back up again.

If I can make one suggestion that may help:
I like a sweet hit after my meals and used to have a yoghurt or pudding but substituted with Low fat and low calorie jelly and an apple which helped reduce my craving.

Good luck to you all.
Old 2 January 2019, 10:12 PM   #123
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
Hey - good start but kick the beers (for most the week at least) and leave the cheese out full stop.
i eat a ton of cheese. However i dont eat meat. So for me, that tradeoff is worth it.

Its by far the highest fat/calorie portion of my diet.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 10:15 PM   #124
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
Some people say keep away from the scales but I disagree. I enjoyed regularly weighing myself and used an app which graphed the decline. Once I lost the weight I vowed not to go above a certain weight and if I approach it (like I have done because I over indulged the last 3 weeks) I am strict with my intake for 3 weeks rather than let the weight slowly slide back up again.
i do the same. I also go under my goal weight when losing weight as you always creep up a couple pounds when resuming to normal and then maintain. Im too OCD to not be AT my goal

For me having a threshold you will not go over is the key. losing 15-20 pounds is manageable where as 100 would seem like a monumental feat.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 2 January 2019, 10:23 PM   #125
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
I've lost over 100 lbs over the last 18 or so months and finally stopped yoyoing. I was the type of guy that could lose 40 and put it back on real quick. I read the obesity code (recommended by a nurse that specializes in weight loss) and started intermittent fasting. It really changes how you think about dieting. Cutting out, a lot of processed crap has helped a lot, but I still do have some.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 11:21 PM   #126
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i do the same. I also go under my goal weight when losing weight as you always creep up a couple pounds when resuming to normal and then maintain. Im too OCD to not be AT my goal
Same here. I noticed my 3 huge weight gain spikes happened when not weighing myself 3x per week. I need to be more disciplined and weigh myself more.

Side note : I should also treating my body like my taste in Rolex watches. I want to look like a slim / well proportioned 5 digit professional model and not the current 6 digit ones. Ha.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 11:36 PM   #127
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

I also recommend folks see their docs 2x per year. weight gain (like mine over 3 years ) does bloody hell to your body or can help pinpoint that something is wrong.

My doc grew even more concerned w/ my weight increase and ordered a battery of blood tests. Quite a few things were out of whack. Under active thyroid, bad cholesterol was too high, and if I didn’t decrease the sugar intake, pre-diabetic.

The doc also recommended a colonoscopy although I’m in my early 40 and no family history of colon cancer. With 2 young kids and a wife, I’m so grateful he did. They found 2 polyps and one of them was a rather large (1.5 cm ) 3-5 year old kind that turns into cancer. Basically, if not for the colonoscopy, I was told in another 5-7 years I would have had colon cancer.
Old 2 January 2019, 11:40 PM   #128
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
The doc also recommended a colonoscopy
so he sent you over to the local AD then? I feel like i got one every time.
Old 2 January 2019, 11:44 PM   #129
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Another weight loss tip for folks that might surprise some.

I started drinking coffee in my mid-20s. Never had a cup before that. Where I worked, they had those little flavored non-dairy coffee mate creamers and the kind that needs to be refrigerated.

Just google the ingredients. Terrible. Basically, if it says “non-dairy”, avoid it.

I know people who are aware of keto and similar diets, already know about these little devils.

Companies like coffee mate do make better versions that are more expensive. Coffee mate's brand is labeled “Bliss”. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods also sell a version. While not perfect, it's still far better that regular flavored coffee creamer.
Old 2 January 2019, 11:46 PM   #130
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
so he sent you over to the local AD then? I feel like i got one every time.
Pretty much. Only diff is we usually get far better news after a colonoscopy than an AD visit.
Old 2 January 2019, 11:57 PM   #131
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Same here. I noticed my 3 huge weight gain spikes happened when not weighing myself 3x per week. I need to be more disciplined and weigh myself more.

Side note : I should also treating my body like my taste in Rolex watches. I want to look like a slim / well proportioned 5 digit professional model and not the current 6 digit ones. Ha.
I weigh myself every day.

It keeps me in check. And if things are going north, I address immediately.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:00 AM   #132
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach351 View Post
I've lost over 100 lbs over the last 18 or so months and finally stopped yoyoing. I was the type of guy that could lose 40 and put it back on real quick. I read the obesity code (recommended by a nurse that specializes in weight loss) and started intermittent fasting. It really changes how you think about dieting. Cutting out, a lot of processed crap has helped a lot, but I still do have some.
The reviews on this book are great.

I just bought it.

Looks like there is a lot about the Keto diet. Sadly, I can’t do this as I have a pancreas problem. I need to watch my fat intake. But I am super intereted in intermittent fasting.

I am starting today.

Old 3 January 2019, 12:04 AM   #133
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
I am going to stay out of any food threads posted by GeradoG.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:08 AM   #134
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
Very simple, eat less move more!
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:17 AM   #135
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Which of the below makes the biggest impact with a weightloss goal?

- lose the caffeine

- lose the sugar

- lose the processed meats

- lose the diet pop

- lose the artificial sweeteners

AnyOTA will also involve light exercise to start.

Or, do Weight Watchers and call it a day?

Thanks in advance.

You will hear lots of things here, but it is really about lifestyle change. I tool off a significant amount of weight and I mean significant and have kept it off like 20 years now. Found mountain biking and tennis were fun and was also exercise. That was key for me, as if it was not fun I would not keep it up. Then gradually cut out high calorie foods and replaced over time with healthier options. Good luck as there is no one size fits all approach.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:41 AM   #136
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Another suggestion, especially if like me you have little enthusiasm for the gym.

Take up a form of exercise which enforces you to arrange to meet someone/a group on a regular basis. You won’t want to let them down and it will make you turn up even when you don’t feel like it.
Old 3 January 2019, 12:41 AM   #137
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i eat a ton of cheese. However i dont eat meat. So for me, that tradeoff is worth it.

Its by far the highest fat/calorie portion of my diet.
I have always been a big dairy person, but I started cutting back big time a few months ago. I probably consume 10% of what I used to. My system definitely feels better without all of the dairy. YMMV.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:15 AM   #138
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
I think that everybody's metabolism is different.

I have never ever lost weight from exercising. I exercise for other reasons.

I usually gain and lose only 10 lbs at times.

Low carb diets work.

I think the artificial sweeteners are bad in every form. You can google to see what it does to your brain. Replace the diet drinks with water or iced fruit tea, unsweetened.

Chew slowly. Put good stuff on your plate. When the plate is empty, don't go for seconds.

It also depends on the amount you need to lose. It will go quicker in the beginning.

Whatever you do, your body will thank you!

Good luck!
I agree. I have always had a very active lifestyle; but what works for me does NOT work for everyone. Find what makes your body react the way you want. Try different options for at least 2 weeks each.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:16 AM   #139
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
I am going to stay out of any food threads posted by GeradoG.

...and now, time to clean all the coffee from computer screen
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:19 AM   #140
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Thank you for all the advice and comments.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:33 AM   #141
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Good thread Chewbacca!

To add - Shop the perimeter of the grocery store; stay away from the interior aisles.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:36 AM   #142
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I lost 140 pounds in 2010.

I think she remarried
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:09 AM   #143
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Some great information here. I am a gym rat and have tried many different routines for diet and exercise over the years. Big believer in strength training. For the most part I have weight around 200-210 since High School. There was one period in my mid 30's where I gained 50lbs over a couple of years, then took 70 off over 1 year. Actually got too skinny and lifted myself back to 200 and have been there since. I am 52 now.
I always recommend this book especially for starting out https://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Men.../dp/0061467693 It truly is about lifestyle and not dieting. The book Chad recommended by Arnold is one of my favorites but a little more advanced than above.
I was not eating very well the last couple months. Fell into the travel trap and eat poorly on the road. Still exercise but do not feel as well when I eat bad. Back on the beam now and feeling much more energetic. Spent many hours in the gym over the holidays instead of in the fridge or at the table.
Lately lifting 4 days a week, doing yoga and cardio 3 days a week.

Good luck Chewy.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:27 AM   #144
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
It's more confusing than ever to follow a certain diet these days, because on one internet page you'll find that fat is bad and another site you'll read that fat is good and the perfect fuel. I crushed 3 disks in my back in July 2017 and wasn't able to work out for months; add having a kid into the mix and I put on some pounds (about 15, which isn't much on a 6'2" frame, but is definitely noticeable).

I have found that my body responds best to a Paleo-based diet, essentially meats, veggies, nuts/seeds, and some fruits. On my first try, I ate a ton of fruit and found that it didn't help me lose weight, probably from all of the sugars (yeah yea, healthy sugars, blah blah...). Your body may respond differently. I tried Keto for about 2 months and, once I was adapted, found it easy to stay in ketosis, but severely limiting on lifestyle. My wife and I only eat out a few times a month, but the problem with it was if you make one wrong choice or binge on something once, it takes several days to get back into ketosis. Too much thinking involved, and it wasn't a real option for lifestyle change. Plus my Cholesterol shot through the roof on it...

I'm starting my Paleo-style diet again, but throwing in some oatmeal for breakfast, sweetened with Almond butter. No dairy, no refined carbs; work out at least 5 days a week (Peloton bike, running, some strength training); and most importantly: portion control. Don't underestimate the effects of eating more than you burn.

There's lots of advice out there, obviously 5 pages of advice from people on TRF, but just find what works for you and remember there's no quick solution, so you need to find something sustainable. And don't get too mad when you stumble. Mindset is very important.

Here's to a healthier 2019!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:28 AM   #145
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Some great information here. I am a gym rat and have tried many different routines for diet and exercise over the years. Big believer in strength training. For the most part I have weight around 200-210 since High School. There was one period in my mid 30's where I gained 50lbs over a couple of years, then took 70 off over 1 year. Actually got too skinny and lifted myself back to 200 and have been there since. I am 52 now.
I always recommend this book especially for starting out https://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Men.../dp/0061467693 It truly is about lifestyle and not dieting. The book Chad recommended by Arnold is one of my favorites but a little more advanced than above.
I was not eating very well the last couple months. Fell into the travel trap and eat poorly on the road. Still exercise but do not feel as well when I eat bad. Back on the beam now and feeling much more energetic. Spent many hours in the gym over the holidays instead of in the fridge or at the table.
Lately lifting 4 days a week, doing yoga and cardio 3 days a week.

Good luck Chewy.

Wow. Body For Life. I read that years and years ago. Nice blast from the last.

Great book. Lots of good stuff in there.

Old 3 January 2019, 02:32 AM   #146
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Wow. Body For Life. I read that years and years ago. Nice blast from the last.

Great book. Lots of good stuff in there.
Indeed. I still use the 6 small meals plan. Even if the small meal is a protein bar. Keeps insulin levels more constant and seem to have more energy throughout the day versus peaks and valleys.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:55 AM   #147
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

I started drinking coffee in my mid-20s. Never had a cup before that. Where I worked, they had those little flavored non-dairy coffee mate creamers and the kind that needs to be refrigerated.

Just google the ingredients. Terrible. Basically, if it says “non-dairy”, avoid it.

I know people who are aware of keto and similar diets, already know about these little devils.

Companies like coffee mate do make better versions that are more expensive. Coffee mate's brand is labeled “Bliss”. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods also sell a version. While not perfect, it's still far better that regular flavored coffee creamer.
Good point. While on Keto, I found KITU Super Creamer. It's basically Whey Protein and MTC Oil and Zero carbs. I'm off Keto now, but still drink it from time to time in my coffee in place of crappy, surgary creamers.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #148
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:

Which of the below makes the biggest impact with a weightloss goal?

- lose the caffeine

- lose the sugar

- lose the processed meats

- lose the diet pop

- lose the artificial sweeteners

AnyOTA will also involve light exercise to start.

Or, do Weight Watchers and call it a day?

Thanks in advance.

first you need to want it. then 1500 calories per day average over 3 days any way you want. (caffine likely helps you lose weight tbh). Throw in a bit of cardio now and then and a fast day here and there to help break through plateau weights. dropped 1/3 of my weight in 2018.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 05:57 AM   #149
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Limit sweets, fast food, etc.

Eat lots of vegetables.

Walk a lot and take the stairs when you can.

You'll lose weight.

I lost 80lbs drinking as much diet soda as I could get my hands on, so don't fall for that myth, unless you just want to do without.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:15 AM   #150
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Just drink it black, problem solved.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote