The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2019, 11:39 AM   #1
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Iceland one week visit - advice needed

Contemplating and researching Iceland for a family trip with 2 young kids. Ideally, we will spend 2 nights at Reykjavik (do the Golden Circle) and then 2-3 nights in the southern shore line (Vik) and go see diamond beach. If any of you have had a pleasant stay in a hotel or a great meal in certain restaurant, I would appreciate any insight or advice you can share.

Thanks in advance

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:10 AM   #2
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

Hilton Canopy in Reykjavik is a really nice boutique-y hotel. Honestly, I wouldn't spend more than a day in Reykjavik. There's just not that much to do. My wife and I did basically the same trip as you're planning, did all the Golden Circle stuff and went as far east as Vik. Vik is TINY, like population of 500. No need to spend more than a night there.

We did snorkeling at Silfra which was really cool, also took a ferry to the Westman Islands which is a couple miles off the southern coast and ate the best meal at a restaurant called Slippurinn (expensive). I think they are only open certain months out of the year.

The landscape is beautiful when you get out of Reykjavik, but there's a whole lot of nothing for the most part. I only passed another car every 10 minutes or so out in the countryside. Gas is crazy expensive ($9/gallon) and as I recall the gas stations only take debit cards. Food in general is really expensive, we went to a normal Indian restaurant in Reykjavik and entrees were $35-40. You will have a great time though, very safe and beautiful overall.
pjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:45 AM   #3
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for the insights. I love the restaurant part and will look into it
Old 17 January 2019, 04:26 AM   #4
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

Also you should do the Blue Lagoon even though it’s super touristy. I would go the morning you land in Reykajavik cause it’s right by the airport. Otherwise you drive 45 minutes from the airport to the city center and then you have to backtrack all the way out there.
Old 17 January 2019, 04:54 AM   #5
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaffe View Post
Also you should do the Blue Lagoon even though it’s super touristy. I would go the morning you land in Reykajavik cause it’s right by the airport. Otherwise you drive 45 minutes from the airport to the city center and then you have to backtrack all the way out there.
Yes! That is what we are thinking for the morning of arrival
Old 18 January 2019, 09:57 AM   #6
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I've only been to Iceland for work: I would recommend making it out to Jökulsarlon glacier lagoon and beach. Absolutely stunning, fun for the kids seeing ice blocks on the beach (watch for waves) and a boat ride to see the icebergs close up.
Stay at the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon (20 min away) Fantastic restaurant and Whiskey over ice from the lagoon.
Otherwise, plan a weather day, maybe that's your buffer time in Reykjavik. An Icelandic proverb: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes... We had snowstorms, wind closing down the highway for extended periods. And as for Reykjavik, on the way int you could stop in town at Bergson Mathus for breakfast (very cute and original. Stay at Hotel Borg, the grand old dame and for high end eating "Apotek"...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschafer View Post
I've only been to Iceland for work: I would recommend making it out to Jökulsarlon glacier lagoon and beach. Absolutely stunning, fun for the kids seeing ice blocks on the beach (watch for waves) and a boat ride to see the icebergs close up.
Stay at the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon (20 min away) Fantastic restaurant and Whiskey over ice from the lagoon.
Otherwise, plan a weather day, maybe that's your buffer time in Reykjavik. An Icelandic proverb: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes... We had snowstorms, wind closing down the highway for extended periods. And as for Reykjavik, on the way int you could stop in town at Bergson Mathus for breakfast (very cute and original. Stay at Hotel Borg, the grand old dame and for high end eating "Apotek"...
^^^ Great advice. Also, take lots of money!
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:40 AM   #8
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Great advice and thank you. Looking into it now. Thus far, we are thinking about blue lagoon after landing and then head to hotel Ranga and stay a few nights as base camp for the southern shore line hot spots to start.
Old 19 January 2019, 07:39 AM   #9
OysterBracelet
Banned

They've recently got rid of the 5p carrier bags, you need to buy the 10p ones so try and take your own.
OysterBracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:42 AM   #10
Dyim
"TRF" Member

We did into the glacier, very cool.

https://intotheglacier.is/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgLZS_D_BwE
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:01 AM   #11
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
northern lights , Reynisfjara beach and the sea trolls and blue lagoon really made my trip. September was good for the lights also the icelandic saltfish museum in grindavik not far from the blue lagoon ( head south 20mins) and any of the fish resturants in grindavik are great. As said i did this before heading to Reykjavik.
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Reykjavik is a great city, and the countryside is breathtaking. Food is excellent..I recommend mostly eating at the food trucks/roadside stands. Fish & chips, lamb soup, ham & cheese croissants and the best hot dogs you have ever eaten.
Go to the Icelandic craft bar in the city and get some “all you can eat” soup and bread next door.
Take the kids on a 4 hour fishing trip from Reykjavík...took my kids and it was surreal. Fishing in the North Atlantic...caught wolf fish, cod, mackerel and they cook and feed you on the boat!
We did blue lagoon early in the morning as soon as we arrived.
Check out the black sand beaches, waterfalls, etc.
Absolutely wonderful place!
Old 21 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #13
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Reykjavik is a great city, and the countryside is breathtaking. Food is excellent..I recommend mostly eating at the food trucks/roadside stands. Fish & chips, lamb soup, ham & cheese croissants and the best hot dogs you have ever eaten.
Go to the Icelandic craft bar in the city and get some “all you can eat” soup and bread next door.
Take the kids on a 4 hour fishing trip from Reykjavík...took my kids and it was surreal. Fishing in the North Atlantic...caught wolf fish, cod, mackerel and they cook and feed you on the boat!
We did blue lagoon early in the morning as soon as we arrived.
Check out the black sand beaches, waterfalls, etc.
Absolutely wonderful place!

Thanks so much for the insights gentleman! I probably need to find a decent place to eat after landing first (6am) before blue lagoon and feed hungry kids.

May I ask if credit card is easy to use pretty much anywhere and if I need to get some local currency set up first.

This is going to be a pretty cool experience for the kids!
Old 21 January 2019, 01:39 AM   #14
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

It's almost an entirely cashless society. I never once paid for anything in cash, even at a little sandwich stand out in the countryside. I would just grab some food at the airport, they actually had some decent choices.
Old 21 January 2019, 05:28 AM   #15
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaffe View Post
It's almost an entirely cashless society. I never once paid for anything in cash, even at a little sandwich stand out in the countryside. I would just grab some food at the airport, they actually had some decent choices.
This is great - thank you
Old 21 January 2019, 09:03 AM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Thanks so much for the insights gentleman! I probably need to find a decent place to eat after landing first (6am) before blue lagoon and feed hungry kids.

May I ask if credit card is easy to use pretty much anywhere and if I need to get some local currency set up first.

This is going to be a pretty cool experience for the kids!
There really isn’t anywhere to eat on the way to Lagoon, so recommend grabbing something at the airport.
Everywhere, including food trucks take credit cards . Would take a few Krona just to have...I did, but you don’t really need it. I recommend using a good travel card. Most places ask if you want to pay in US dollars or Krona. The krona option was always cheaper, then let your credit card company do the exchange for you. Also, duty free ship at the airport on the way home is best place for alcohol, chocolate, etc
Old 21 January 2019, 09:32 AM   #17
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
There really isn’t anywhere to eat on the way to Lagoon, so recommend grabbing something at the airport.
Everywhere, including food trucks take credit cards . Would take a few Krona just to have...I did, but you don’t really need it. I recommend using a good travel card. Most places ask if you want to pay in US dollars or Krona. The krona option was always cheaper, then let your credit card company do the exchange for you. Also, duty free ship at the airport on the way home is best place for alcohol, chocolate, etc
Got it - thank you again friend!

hopefully, there will be a nice Daytona waiting for me at the local AD haha!!!
Old 1 February 2019, 01:50 AM   #18
peterrr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Because of the high level of silica at the Blue Lagoon is it safe to wear your watch?
peterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:57 AM   #19
peterrr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrr View Post
Because of the high level of silica at the Blue Lagoon is it safe to wear your watch?
Looks like people have had problems after wearing their watch at the Blue Lagoon. Spotting on the Ceramic bezel. Guess I will leave the Explorer in the locker.
peterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 09:07 AM   #20
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Yes, definitely snorkel silfra (or scuba, if you're certified -- I did and it was really cool and COLD). There's a restaurant on the main street (Lugaveg-something or other; locals will know) where you can have whale and puffin steaks. This time of year you should ge able to see the Northern Lights. Blue Lagoon is definitely nice. And the best Coca Cola I've ever had is in Iceland. They use their own local water, filtered through all the lava, and real sugar. It's sublime. Enjoy!
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 09:48 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you stay there for 1 week you've got half a chance of getting their No Bull Vegan Burger that tastes and looks like Beef.

If you mean the country and not the British food chain, then can't help you, Fred.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 10:05 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My wife travelled there with her girlfriends for a 4 day stop over last year. She said it was like two worlds. One half of the country being barren almost like the moon, and the other lush and green almost like what were used to here at home.

She also commented on the Martinis ... the most expensive she’s ever seen, and for my wife, that’s saying something
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 06:33 AM   #23
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrr View Post
Looks like people have had problems after wearing their watch at the Blue Lagoon. Spotting on the Ceramic bezel. Guess I will leave the Explorer in the locker.
I wore my Seiko blue Sumo and it got dull after a few hours in the water. The dullness went away with a quick polish with the shirt I was wearing.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 12:25 AM   #24
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Food recos always help me when planning travel.

A few places that I recall liking:
http://www.fiskmarkadurinn.is/
http://www.matarkjallarinn.is/
https://www.fishandchips.is/
http://www.bbp.is/

As others have mentioned, Blue Lagoon is worth checking out if you are there. Touristy or not, everyone needs to go once. They have a private spa area with enclosed suites and private access to the Lagoon if you want to go that route. Happy travels!
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 11:08 AM   #25
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The "wait 5 minutes" rule can not be more true. Thanks to all for the advice here. The trip was fantastic. Blue Lagoon was fun and southern part of Iceland is pure gold and completely Mars-like with black rocks, terrain and one water fall bigger than the next. Vik and Glacier Lagoon (Iceberg and Seals) was simply awesome and kids enjoyed so much. Reykjvik is a charming city and its like a huge Greenwich village with excellent food and service (every restaurant had artic char and lamb as specials). Look forward to going back again soon