The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2018, 02:56 PM   #1
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Good idea to wear high end watches on European Cruise?

I hope no one finds this offensive, and if so, I'll try to delete.

Next May/June we'll be taking a cruise from Rome to several Italian ports, Greece ports and ending in Barcelona.

I admittedly love my watches and wear them in most places, but I don't want to draw unneeded attention. Would you wear a nice watch in the ports or are there professional "wrist" pockets or other means for me to be relieved of my watch? To be clear, is there a big risk of being robbed of my watch? I'm not talking about on the ship, but rather the ports themselves.

By "nice watch", I mean a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling.

Hoping not to offend.. just educate myself a bit. TIA.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I would wear mine but like anywhere just be conscious of your surroundings and who is around you and you will be fine. A lot of the places you will visit do have professional thieves who target people to try to steal from them but as with any thief/bully etc. they tend to only go for the people who make it the easy for them.

Also, if it were me I would bring only 1 watch travelling and wear it all the time.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Did you really say "Rollie"....

It's not the cruise you need to worry about, it's the port. Check where you are going and it's reputation, if you follow the crowd you will fit right in.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:25 PM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

It's not the cruise you need to worry about, it's the port. Check where you are going and it's reputation, if you follow the crowd you will fit right in.

On both points.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:33 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

no one is going to notice. Dont go out and wander the streets at 2am, the same as you wouldn't do pretty much anywhere and you will be fine. If you do and something were to happen, it would happen with or without a watch on your wrist.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:00 PM   #6
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

OOPS
Old 21 May 2018, 05:54 PM   #7
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
It’s Europe you are visiting, not Mogadishu.
Old 21 May 2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Naples can be a bit dicey, otherwise all should be fine as long as you keep your wits about you.
Old 21 May 2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Take your watches with you, keep them in safe in your stateroom and put them on depending on crews recommendations
Old 21 May 2018, 06:51 PM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
Take your watches with you, keep them in safe in your stateroom and put them on depending on crews recommendations
you are confusing watches with life jackets

Otherwise i highly doubt the crew would say "ladies and gentleman our next port of call we selected for you is a real dump. Please wear your worst clothes and leave your jewelry behind and please remember to book this cruise again."
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 May 2018, 07:29 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Looking at your itinerary I'd wear a G shock.

Cos if you have to ask...

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Pangit
"TRF" Member

I took a g-shock for those ports that are supposedly more risky but wore my bluesy and DJII whilst on board the ship.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 08:56 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you pay attention to where you are and the time of day you should not have any difficulties. I do not like to leave valuables behind in a stateroom or safe. I would take a nice SS watch and a Seiko Diver or G-Shock and not have to worry.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:28 PM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I wore my BLNR on an 11 day Viking cruise.

I would not travel somewhere that I did not feel safe, no matter what watch I had on.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:51 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I wore my BLNR on an 11 day Viking cruise.

I would not travel somewhere that I did not feel safe, no matter what watch I had on.
the viking cruise line is the good one too. Ive always wanted to do that
Old 21 May 2018, 09:56 PM   #16
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
May I ask where you live currently? I think maybe you have been reading way to many Donald Trump quotes. Europe on the whole is very safe, and if you are cruising you will generally be docking into the nice and safe areas. I’m sure that you and your watches will be absolutely fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:40 PM   #17
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I used to live in Stepney Green as a student sharing with friends. We would go out, get hammered, come home from the local pubs/clubs at any hour on foot, singing, dancing and generally acting like a dick, as you do. I never once felt unsafe and never thought twice about doing any of that stuff.

The thing is, Stepney and it's surroundings was (and probably still is) a dodgy A.F. place to be wandering about whilst banjaxed at 4am. In actual fact, I knew that at the time since there were 2 murders and a number of gang-related stabbings that occurred within spitting distance of our house in the space of 2 years.

No way on Earth would I act in the same way in the same place, 15 years later. The only reason I can think of that I felt safe at the time, other than stupidity, is because it was familiar.

In virtually all of these "is it safe...?" threads, the OP has the opposite perspective - fear of the unfamiliar.

Objectively, I rather suspect Northern Italy to be safer than Michigan - though the data on the latter is probably skewed massively by Detroit.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sound like extremely dangerous ports of call to me. If you’re worried, leave them at home.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:10 PM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I don’t know but take me with you.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:18 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
In virtually all of these "is it safe...?" threads, the OP has the opposite perspective - fear of the unfamiliar.

Objectively, I rather suspect Northern Italy to be safer than Michigan - though the data on the latter is probably skewed massively by Detroit.
Yep. I got jumped all over for saying the same thing in a tongue-in-cheek comment about needing a gated community with a guard . Im moving from London and back to Houston. A city i know well and have lived before. The murder rate in Houston is 13X higher per 100,000 and i was being crazy

You can only criticize going in one direction and only if you are making it up... apparently.
Old 21 May 2018, 11:19 PM   #21
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
You will be robbed at gunpoint! Honestly, you're on a cruise, getting off at tourist-traps. As long as you don't yell "LOOK AT MY ROLEX" and act like a complete tool, drawing attention etc., you'll be fine. I imagine you weren't born yesterday
Old 21 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #22
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Yep. I got jumped all over for saying the same thing. Im moving from London and back to Houston. A city i know well and have lived before. The murder rate in Houston is 13X higher per 100,000.
I'm happy to take your Patek's off your hands for safekeeping, I'm good like that. You wouldn't want to go out wearing your watches in public in a place like that.

Old 21 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I'm happy to take your Patek's off your hands for safekeeping, I'm good like that. You wouldn't want to go out wearing your watches in public in a place like that.

HA. Its all good. But sometimes people's assumption of safety isnt based on probability but just a feeling. I seriously suspect its the language barrier in a lot of cases. People are already intimidated by that. Then they see cities in europe where the houses look old so they assume its poor and by default crime ridden. Those houses cost several million dollars. Curb appeal isnt really a big thing here.... London in particular

Generally ive found cities are safer than the suburbs in europe in the US its the opposite where the cities are the less ideal location.
Old 21 May 2018, 11:37 PM   #24
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Seems a lot of people are making light of the OP question, but there have been two reports of guys getting rolled with APs in less than a year in Barcelona...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ight=Barcelona

I've been around and understand these posts get old, plus I live in Chicago which has one of the highest shooting rates per capita and I still where my watches. But why negate these questions of safety with silly responses, just move on if you don't like them.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:39 PM   #25
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
HA. Its all good. But sometimes people's assumption of safety isnt based on probability but just a feeling. I seriously suspect its the language barrier in a lot of cases. People are already intimidated by that. Then they see cities in europe where the houses look old so they assume its poor. Those houses cost several million dollars. Curb appeal isnt really a big thing here.
I think you're right about the language thing. But I'm sure I recall an "is it safe" thread on here a while back about the U.K. Ok so our language might only be barely similar but it's close enough.

This kind of phenomenon isn't restricted to fear of crime. In general, people make decisions emotionally rather than rationally. It's why everybody here wears Rolex (or Patek) and not Casio or Citizen. It's why Homeopathy, reflexology and various quackeries somehow cling on for dear life in the public consciousness despite being obvious scams. Brexit. Etc etc. I could go on and on but I'll probably get paddled...
Old 21 May 2018, 11:53 PM   #26
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
You will be fine in Rome and Civitavecchia .You should be more careful in Naples and Sicily ports.
I'm pretty sure that on cruise passengers wrists will be a lot of watches like on pic below)

IMG_6896.JPG
Old 22 May 2018, 12:59 AM   #27
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Did a similar cruise a couple of years ago and had no problems anywhere..Italy, Croatia, Greece and Spain..Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings, stay out of back alleys and be vigalent.. You'll have no problems.
It'll be a Great cruise
Enjoy

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:01 AM   #28
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Seems a lot of people are making light of the OP question, but there have been two reports of guys getting rolled with APs in less than a year in Barcelona...

I've been around and understand these posts get old, plus I live in Chicago which has one of the highest shooting rates per capita and I still where my watches. But why negate these questions of safety with silly responses, just move on if you don't like them.
Thanks for that.. and all the others as well.

For the few that want to rip on me, I do live in Metro Detroit. I'm fairly street smart (I actually grew up in the city.) But I have read multiple stories about pick pockets. I would think a watch is harder to pick than a wallet, but that is my concern.. not getting held up or "mugged." So, I figured I'd ask what the experience is with watches in that region.

FWIW, dang near EVERY travel site mentions to watch (pun intended) out for pick-pockets in certain areas- Rome (Vatican-ironic isn't it?) for sure. But, as a few have mentioned, stories tend to get exaggerated. THAT'S why I'm asking!

Also, we've frequently cruised the Caribbean and typically I wear a less expensive G-shock when we hit the ports. So I've got some experience there. We tend to walk around on our own (since we've been to the ports before) so I figured there's no need to increase the risk in SOME ports. Hell, for some ports the folk don't know an Omega from a Timex. But if I have to loose a watch... I'll let the g shock go.

So, thanks again for the insights! I'll keep checking in.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:04 AM   #29
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Did a two week Mediterranean cruise back in 08, took a Rolex and an Omega, stainless steel, no problems.
Saw lots of high end watches on some passengers wrists.
Just be aware of your surroundings
PS don’t get shit faced drunk at a street fair in Barcelona, my buddy got his early 90s Tudor sub stolen right off his wrist!
Old 22 May 2018, 01:12 AM   #30
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Did a two week Mediterranean cruise back in 08, took a Rolex and an Omega, stainless steel, no problems.
Saw lots of high end watches on some passengers wrists.
Just be aware of your surroundings
PS don’t get shit faced drunk at a street fair in Barcelona, my buddy got his early 90s Tudor sub stolen right off his wrist!
That PS is sad, but my mean side of me cracked a smile when I read that...poor guy though.

I forgot to mention in my reply above that I'm likely taking a couple watches. If there was a ponderous amount of comments telling me to leave em home, I might though.
Odd how some comments on a message board can influence one eh? I do take it for what it's worth. I read a lot of comments on Cruise Critic and one might think that taking a cruise could be the worst thing one could do. My numerous experiences give me a totally different and positive opinion.

Point being, be cautious about anecdotal information.
Keep the comments coming though. It's informative and occasionally funny.

Thanks to all again.