The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 July 2016, 01:40 AM   #1
marcusjcw21
Banned

Watch: Rolex 2 tone 1005
Correct dial on this 1962 5513?

Here is the link to the item in question: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

On this watch which is being listed at $9,987.00, I don't see mention of it using a replacement dial.

It is my understanding that the dial should be gilt on a 1962 5513. It does NOT appear to be gilt. 5512 dials at that time had a chapter ring and were gilt. 5513 dials didn't have the chapter ring. The hands look to be gilt (18k yellow plated over the 18k solid white gold if I'm not mistaken). The dial indicates that the lume is tritium by the T>25 marking at the 6:00 position which is normal. My experience with 5513 service dials is they look much different than this. My profile pic is a 5513 service dial. Is it an older service dial or a dial from a newer 5513 or possibly a fake dial?

The hands seem consistent with radium lume or possibly artificially aged due to the otherwise pristine condition of the hands. The cracking of the lume could be due to natural aging or artificial aging.

There is a seller of after market radium hands on ebay. Here is an example of some of the aged radium Mercedes hands they sell to fit the Rolex 15xx movements: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg A part of me wonders if the this company wholesaleoutlet that sells these hands is owned at least in part by the famous Mr. Meece of the lawsuit Rolex v. Meece. They are located in Texas, USA. I'm just wondering out loud and not asserting that it is owned by Mr. Meece.

Looking forward to some opinions on this one. Thanks.
marcusjcw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 01:58 AM   #2
marcusjcw21
Banned

Well that watch sold in about 5 minutes.
Old 29 July 2016, 02:31 AM   #3
marcusjcw21
Banned

Here is an example of a 1964 5513 in which you can tell that even though it looks to be whiteish in color, it is gilt. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg I don't know why they don't open it up and show the movement and in between the lugs, though. Seems like it would be easier to sell with photos included that help to further authenticate it being that you are not there personally examining it with a loupe.