The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 January 2018, 04:22 PM   #91
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I didn’t look and I didn’t realize they were shutting it down, just noticed the sale sign. They had a RG blue dial jumbo, the white concept, a tourb and some random pieces. I might go back down. It’s close to my office. Wonder if they’d go to 40% off soon if there’s a deadline to sell or eat inventory.
seems as though AP should buy them back in these cases. Fire sales are not the best optics for the brand.

Otherwise lets just all wait for the next AD to lose AP and then buy some deeply discounted merchandise. Its not like its not happening again soon.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:00 AM   #92
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't remember Marcus were offering 40% off when they shut down, maybe 30% on the PM models and JAs.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:34 AM   #93
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't remember Marcus were offering 40% off when they shut down, maybe 30% on the PM models and JAs.
And AP purchased a lot of his stock back off him.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:35 AM   #94
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
And AP purchased a lot of his stock back off him.
and the rest went to Almar, their NOS store in Burlington Arcade for the next year until that closed.

Marcus had a backup in that sense as they had another store to shift the watches to after they were no longer an AD.
Old 29 January 2018, 02:27 AM   #95
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I bought my first AP off Cellini a few years back. Very nice people and were willing to deal as well. The Madison location not the snobby one at the Waldorf. Although I did see lil Wayne at the Waldorf that day but that’s another story

Might be a good day for AP shoppers. If you call Madison ask for Artice. If he’s still there he’s a great guy.
Old 29 January 2018, 02:48 AM   #96
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

They closed the only one in Copenhagen Denmark this year.
Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 04:01 AM   #97
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
That's too bad about Cellini (where I purchased my first AP), though I suspect it was kind of mutual. Cellini was getting pretty frustrated that the could not get inventory from AP so probably not a lot to choose from would be my guess.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 04:49 AM   #98
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
That's too bad about Cellini (where I purchased my first AP), though I suspect it was kind of mutual. Cellini was getting pretty frustrated that the could not get inventory from AP so probably not a lot to choose from would be my guess.
My AD in london just moved the AP display out of the front window. Now its in the display in the hallway at foot level, not even the eye level display case. I know they are frustrated with AP too and it appears they demoted them from a prime area.
Old 29 January 2018, 04:52 AM   #99
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
My AD in london just moved the AP display out of the front window. Now its in the display in the hallway at foot level, not even the eye level display case. I know they are frustrated with AP too and it appears they demoted them from a prime area.

Could be a new strategy to make the brand visible to toddlers & kids in pushchairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 04:55 AM   #100
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Could be a new strategy to make the brand visible to toddlers & kids in pushchairs?

could be

It cant be a coincidence though as a few months ago we were chatting about AP and it was clear they couldn't get stuff from them anymore. I was there last week and they moved them.

They have a poor selection too. A lot of 42mm offshores but that is about it and some PM RO's. They renovated to expand Patek though.
Old 29 January 2018, 04:58 AM   #101
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
This is consistent with O&R who have every model of 42mm in stock but no 44s (except a platinum one). They told me that as soon as a 44 arrives it sells

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:30 AM   #102
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It cant be a coincidence though as a few months ago we were chatting about AP and it was clear they couldn't get stuff from them anymore. I was there last week and they moved them.
Whilst I think that I know the AD that you are referring to and though (if so) they are better than most, given the awful job most do in representing the manufactures they carry, I am supporting of Audemars Piguet increasingly controlling their supply chain and interactions with clients and, given that is the route that they are seemingly taking, there is little sense in them making too much of an effort with ADs. There are other ways for the brand to be visible than in the window of a shop and I am sure they will adjust their approach to compensate.

As a side note to illustrate the point, an AP AD very recently told me that the movement inside a piece I was viewing in its display case was the same used in Rolex...I think because he had seen me walk out of Rolex where I was browsing immediately before...which also brings to mind when a PP AD told me that the rotor on a 5227 movement was gold plated.

Quote:
They renovated to expand Patek though.
Patek Philippe is increasingly ubiquitous.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote